• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kud Dukan

interesting PJ does not rule out coming back to Middle earth in that radio interview :O, though he says the estate would make it very hard

It's just a fools hope, but I hope someday some sort of adaptation of The Silmarillion is done. You couldn't adapt the entire thing page by page, but I love the idea of someone taking certain stories out of it (The Children of Hurin, for instance) and making some films.

It'll never happen but one can still hope.

Loxley

So I may end up buying that kind of lame looking "limited edition" Hobbit release day shirt because I want to seem if i'll be the only guy in line at midnight wearing it.

Then I'll feel like the special birthday boy.

He means it's just a firmware update for those with digital projectors.

Wait so let me get this straight. There's some cinema locations without the digital projectors, and some with, and of the later, some have been upgraded to run HFR?

Reason I'm confused is that the Liverpool Odeon is less than five years old, so I would have presumed it would have required kit?

So why on earth isn't it at all the locations, and more so why pick Blackpool over Liverpool?

I really hope that list gets some further additions....

HFR footage at CinemaCon got very mixed reaction, some people absolutely hated it. WB are only doing a limited release in case audiences don't warm to it.

New Zealander here! I'm in Wellington. Will try to get into the throng next to the red carpet tomorrow.

I heard from some film industry friends that apparently the screening at the premiere won't be the final cut of the film. They're still brushing it up in the editing suite - not to mention how long it takes to render.

Hato-kun

I heard from some film industry friends that apparently the screening at the premiere won't be the final cut of the film. They're still brushing it up in the editing suite - not to mention how long it takes to render.

It should be the final cut. Heard some immense celebrating not too long ago from next door, so it could be pretty much there by now.

Chili

It's not likely, it's fact. It's not possible for a true, 70mm IMAX to show 48fps film for numerous reasons. The film can't go through the projector fast enough, and the amount of film needed for a 3 hour movie at 48fps exceeds the amount an IMAX film reel can hold. The only 48fps showings will be with digital projectors which inherently means it won't and can't be true 70mm IMAX.

Not likely LieMAX. Definitely LieMAX. Only digital projectors can project the HFR versions of the film and there are no Digital IMAX theatres outside of the LieMAX theatres. Not until they get that fancy Laser-projection system working.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I guess I got my hopes up because the BFI IMAX upgraded their projector system earlier this year:

During these two weeks, we are also installing an IMAX 3D Digital projector alongside the IMAX film-based 3D projector, so that the BFI IMAX will have the option to present all IMAX DMR films from July 2012.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
interesting PJ does not rule out coming back to Middle earth in that radio interview :O, though he says the estate would make it very hard

It's just a fools hope, but I hope someday some sort of adaptation of The Silmarillion is done. You couldn't adapt the entire thing page by page, but I love the idea of someone taking certain stories out of it (The Children of Hurin, for instance) and making some films.

It'll never happen but one can still hope.
A bridge film between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings is something Peter and his team could attempt. They could deal with the rise of the Witch-King and the Battle of Fornost, which could be dealt with in a prologue of sorts, where we hear Glorfindel make his famous prophecy. Aragorn's early life and his meeting with Arwen, his friendship with Gandalf, fighting alongside King Thengel and the search for Gollum could be dealt with in the present narrative.

Like I've said before, The Silmarillion is either a public domain matter or the younger Tolkien's having a change of heart after Christopher and Priscilla pass way.

It should be the final cut. Heard some immense celebrating not too long ago from next door, so it could be pretty much there by now.

Sounds like its just stuff like the dolby atmos mix that they are reviewing now. Very much the finishing touches.

lnf2g.jpg

New Zealander here! I'm in Wellington. Will try to get into the throng next to the red carpet tomorrow.

Good luck, I get the feeling it's going to be slightly busy. :p

Do you know if they're doing the parade through the city centre like ROTK's premiere?

Good luck, I get the feeling it's going to be slightly busy. :p

Do you know if they're doing the parade through the city centre like ROTK's premiere?

Not this time - the actors will only be going down one main street on the red carpet.

There are a lot of cool statues and stuff being put up in that area though.

jett

D-Member
The runtime is apparently 170 minutes, although I guess that's old news here.

And I get to watch this bitch on the 13th, woo.

The livestream for the premiere starts at 9:50pm EST tomorrow and is scheduled to last about 3 hours.

Will be looking for BurnOutBrighter holding a "Hi gaf" sign. :p

Hato-kun

Sounds like its just stuff like the dolby atmos mix that they are reviewing now. Very much the finishing touches.

lnf2g.jpg

I would say it's last minute reviews, yeah. Asides from that it's all pretty quiet here. We had some security last night, not too much today.

Edit: wow the mixers look like hell...

Holy shit, the Balrog in this animated Lord of the Rings is just...unfortunate.

Look, I know the Balrog has always been the most vaguely-described Toilken character in the bestiary, but I'm PRETTY damn sure he didn't have a bizarro lion/pig/batman hybrid in mind when he wrote this shit. Sounds like something Godzilla would be fighting in Tokyo.

Oh, and Sam's body language in this film pretty much confirmed he and Frodo are lovers, as it's been suggested again and again by various sources.

teiresias

Not likely LieMAX. Definitely LieMAX. Only digital projectors can project the HFR versions of the film and there are no Digital IMAX theatres outside of the LieMAX theatres. Not until they get that fancy Laser-projection system working.

To be perfectly fair there was a 48fps IMAX standard, but it never really went anywhere. From Wikipedia (this all sounds right from what I knew about it when I still worked in an IMAX theater):

IMAX HD
Variations on IMAX included the 48 frames per second IMAX HD process, which sought to reduce strobing and offer higher definition by doubling the normal film rate. The IMAX HD system was tested in 1992 at the Canada Pavilion of the Seville Expo '92 with the film Momentum.[15] Higher production costs, and the high "wear-and-tear" on the prints and projectors, doomed the IMAX HD system, but, not before many theatres had been retrofitted to project at 48 frames, especially in Canada, in order to play Momentum.[16] In the 1990s theme parks in Thailand, Germany, and Las Vegas used IMAX HD for their Motion Simulator rides.[17] The Disney parks attraction Soarin' Over California features a modification of both IMAX HD and IMAX Dome, projecting in 48 frames per second.

Don't think I have it in me to squeeze them all into a single day, might resort to one a day leading up to the 14th. Godspeed.

I did one a day two years ago. I did Fellowship one day followed by a double feature of Two Towers and Return of the King the next. This will be my first attempt at a full trilogy marathon. Sadly, my only worry with it is extreme image retention from the black bars on my plasma. But that will go away quickly.

vivin

Interesting that they are using the camperdown theater for the press screenings...I have a feeling this film will feel more impressive on a bigger screen ;)
Cant say too much, just very proud of the work done on this film. Lots of blood/sweat/tears(including my own) have gone into this one. I hope its received well :)

For those of you lucky enough to be in welly tomorrow, hope you come out and enjoy the premier, I'll be there somewhere....chilling with a cold beer in hand _b

Interesting that they are using the camperdown theater for the press screenings...I have a feeling this film will feel more impressive on a bigger screen ;)
Cant say too much, just very proud of the work done on this film. Lots of blood/sweat/tears(including my own) have gone into this one. I hope its received well :)

For those of you lucky enough to be in welly tomorrow, hope you come out and enjoy the premier, I'll be there somewhere....chilling with a cold beer in hand _b

Is that not Park Road?

Everything I've seen so far looks amazing though, been waiting for The Hobbit for years so thanks for your work on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom