• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

I wonder will peoples interest in seeing it in 48fps fall off a cliff after Monday night.

Embargo is still in place but from what I've gleaned from twitter, most reviewers yesterday did not like the HFR, some absolutely hating it. Its going to overshadow the film itself I think.

There have been plenty of twitter responses (many of them posted in this thread) claiming it looked amazing and is the future of cinema.

I think at this point the safer bet is that the reaction will be 50/50 positive/negative. But even then that's based off nothing but brief twitter reactions, by this time next week we'll know.

I'm definitely interested in hearing Roger Ebert's reactions. He has a blinding hatred for 3D because it "distracts" from the movie, but HFR could be seen as doing the same thing. On the other hand, Ebert himself was promoting 48fps film as a better advancement than moving to digital back in the early days of digital.

Rootbeer

Banned
My son's bday is 12/14, so he's very psyched that this is his "birthday movie." Provided we can see it in all its 24 fps/non-3D glory.

I hate 3D.
But does your son hate 3D? 48FPS may well be the future of cinema, man! Do you want to rob your son of the experience of seeing the very first piece of major media to use the format? Consider the implications!
I'm definitely interested in hearing Roger Ebert's reactions. He has a blinding hatred for 3D because it "distracts" from the movie, but HFR could be seen as doing the same thing. On the other hand, Ebert himself was promoting 48fps film as a better advancement than moving to digital back in the early days of digital.
When everyone else was going on and on about 3D, Ebert continued to advocate 4K as the future of cinema, not 3D. Will be really interesting to see if he feels the same way about 48FPS or not and if it has changed his opinions about 3D at all.

People who hate 3D should give 48fps 3D a shot since it fixes most of the complaints with 3D like ghosting and the subsequent headaches that come from it.

Rootbeer

Banned
After seeing Avatar, How to Train Your Dragon, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Hugo, Life of Pi, and many other films that devote the proper time and attention to the 3D aspect, I am fully on-board the 3D bandwagon. I consider those that reject it to be missing out. There are claims that the eyes, brains, whatever, of some people just aren't wired to take in 3D... I am thankful to not be one of them.

After seeing Avatar, How to Train Your Dragon, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Hugo, Life of Pi, and many other films that devote the proper time and attention to the 3D aspect, I am fully on-board the 3D bandwagon. I consider those that reject it to be missing out. There are claims that the eyes, brains, whatever, of some people just aren't wired to take in 3D... I am thankful to not be one of them.

You should also check out the 3D versions of the last 2 Resident Evil films.

Sure, they are incredibly silly, but they are beautiful.

I guess Ebert (wonder of wonders) actually liked 3D in a movie recently: Life of Pi.

Ebert said:
What astonishes me is how much I love the use of 3-D in "Life of Pi." I've never seen the medium better employed, not even in "Avatar," and although I continue to have doubts about it in general, Lee never uses it for surprises or sensations, but only to deepen the film's sense of places and events.

Let me try to describe one point of view. The camera is placed in the sea, looking up at the lifeboat and beyond it. The surface of the sea is like the enchanted membrane upon which it floats. There is nothing in particular to define it; it is just … there. This is not a shot of a boat floating in the ocean. It is a shot of ocean, boat and sky as one glorious place.

Rootbeer

Banned
You should also check out the 3D versions of the last 2 Resident Evil films.

Sure, they are incredibly silly, but they are beautiful.
I hadn't heard that but I'll keep it in mind. I do not have a 3D tv (yet).

I am hoping that 4K 48FPS-capable 3D tvs will start to become mainstream in another... 2 or 3 years? Then i'll adopt... I wouldn't want to miss out on being about to rewatch The Hobbit in its intended format at home. :p

Go see Life of Pi in 3D guys... O__O

Peru

Ebert's mildly praised the 3D use in other movies and I still didn't like it and haven't enjoyed it in any film where it's supposedly cleverly used except for in amusement park attractions (and even then a screen wrapped around you gives you a more real sense of immersion.) At best you forget it but never quite as the technological limitations will remind you.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The shit I have to go through for this movie...

Waking up 8am to go out and camp for the tickets... ugh,

Ebert is senile. Best use of 3D is Hugo. It is head and shoulders above every other 3D film. I look forward to seeing what Ang Lee did with Life of Pi.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, I was the last in the line but I got my tickets! We were 150+ people camping in my small city @9am... absolutely ridiculous.

Yoshichan

I just bought my tickets on Fandango... like, over a week ago. Why'd you have to wait? I hope it's a good screen etc.
The cinema we have here wanted to give the "true fans" a headstart by releasing midnight tickets only during this day. If you didn't order the tickets today, you were fucked if you wanted to watch it at midnight. Hence, why we had to camp for the tickets.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Edmond, have you read these books?

rateliff.jpg

I have them but haven't read them yet. I only ask because I remember reading in a recent interview Peter Jackson said that they were taking material not only from the appendices but also from earlier abandoned Hobbit drafts. I'm guess that would be whats covered in these books.

Yes, I see what you mean from those points. It's hard to see what they would have used there. Hmmmm.
Going back to this point, I think I can see what Peter may have used from the drafts.

From what we've seen thus far of Dol Guldur, it's basically a ruin at least the exterior is. Necro's actual lair is deep within the hill. In the earlier drafts of The Hobbit, Gandalf comments that "the Necromancer's castle stands no more after Beren and Tinuviel broke his power, but that is quite another story".

Beren and Luthien were dropped from The Hobbit because of the obvious timeline issues.

So, a mention of why The Necromancer's castle is in ruins is possible, leading to he discovery that he still abodes there, but deep within the hill it was built on. Hence, 'Hill of Sorcery'.

From the daily mail, reporting on a Sunday Times story today titled Sick As A Hobbit.

The Sunday Times reported one 'avid Middle Earth fan', who had flown to New Zealand from Australia for the premiere, said: 'My eyes cannot take everything in, it's dizzying, now I have a migraine.' Another fan tweeted: 'It works for the big snowy mountains, but in close-ups the pictures strobes. I left loving the movie but feeling sick.' The Sunday Times said one fan described having motion sickness similar to being on a rollercoaster. They said: 'You have to hold your stomach down and let your eyes pop at first to adjust. This is not for wimps.'

Roklie

Is anyone else reading The Hobbit before the premiere? I never finished it back in the day and thought it would be nice to do it now before the movie comes out.

megateto

Lol at what, Scully? At people actually getting sick? I already have tickets for the 15th (it premieres on the 14th in Spain) and if the missus gets sick I'm in trouble.
Anyway, I'll check it myself.

J2 Cool

People who hate 3D should give 48fps 3D a shot since it fixes most of the complaints with 3D like ghosting and the subsequent headaches that come from it.

I'm most interested in this. Not 48fps, but what 48fps does to a 3D presentation. I have a feeling it's going to feel so unique. I could see myself loving it or hating it, not expecting an inbetween.

Rootbeer

Banned
It was very useful in Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams, you are spending a great deal of time with the camera literally pointed at the cave walls, moving slowly across it. You could make out the depth of each part of the cave wall as well as the entire cave itself for the wider, deeper shots. The depth illusion really makes it the next best thing to standing there yourself, which almost nobody on earth is allowed to do save for a few scientists. I am so glad I saw that in theaters.

P.S. Herzog should narrate everything. Well, except The Hobbit :p

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
It was very useful in Herzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams, you are spending a great deal of time with the camera literally pointed at the cave walls, moving slowly across it. You could make out the depth of each part of the cave wall as well as the entire cave itself for the wider, deeper shots. The depth illusion really makes it the next best thing to standing there yourself, which almost nobody on earth is allowed to do save for a few scientists. I am so glad I saw that in theaters.

P.S. Herzog should narrate everything. Well, except The Hobbit :p

Have you seen "Into The Abyss" ?

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;44976229 said:
Going back to this point, I think I can see what Peter may have used from the drafts.

From what we've seen thus far of Dol Guldur, it's basically a ruin at least the exterior is. Necro's actual lair is deep within the hill. In the earlier drafts of The Hobbit, Gandalf comments that "the Necromancer's castle stands no more after Beren and Tinuviel broke his power, but that is quite another story".

Beren and Luthien were dropped from The Hobbit because of the obvious timeline issues.

So, a mention of why The Necromancer's castle is in ruins is possible, leading to he discovery that he still abodes there, but deep within the hill it was built on. Hence, 'Hill of Sorcery'.

...wait, that doesn't make sense though.

Beren and Luthien met Sauron in Beleriand, while Dol Guldur is in Mirkwood/Greenwood. They didn't go East, they went North I thought? As far as I remember, neither of them ever went east of Ered Luin.

Or is that the "timeline issues" you're talking about?

Also, damn it's hard to find those History of the Hobbit books for a decent price. Not even my local library has them.

Kud Dukan

Are there any screening reports that have a totally positive experience with the 48fps, because so far it looks like almost everyone has problems with it... I'm not liking the sound of it. I have to see for myself >.<

AHAHAHAHA!

There have been plenty of positive reactions to it on Twitter over the last few days. This definitely is not a situation where everyone hates it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
...wait, that doesn't make sense though.

Beren and Luthien met Sauron in Beleriand, while Dol Guldur is in Mirkwood/Greenwood. They didn't go East, they went North I thought? As far as I remember, neither of them ever went east of Ered Luin.

Or is that the "timeline issues" you're talking about?

Also, damn it's hard to find those History of the Hobbit books for a decent price. Not even my local library has them.
Yes, those are the issues as well as geographical ones. But much of the geography of Middle-earth was still in its development stages and wouldn't be developed as we know it until much later. At the time of writing The Hobbit, Tolkien's legendarium was still in its infancy and many concepts and ideas overlapped with each other, hence Beren and Luthien's mention in early drafts of The Hobbit.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Another section of the OT complete; titled Hobbit History. One for the Tolkien fans.

Spoiler free of course, but some gritty analysis of various things.

Edmond Dantès;44979277 said:
Another section of the OT complete; titled Hobbit History. One for the Tolkien fans.

I will enjoy this OT. It will be one for the ages.

I only hope the film will be worthy of the OT.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Edmond Dantès;44979277 said:

Do remember you have two more to do in the coming year, if anything this OT should be the tease and "There and back again" should be the crowning achievement.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Edmund are you planning a grand LOTR EE rewatch thread aswell? Or perchance can I handle that thread?

I really don't understand what the big issue is with 48fps. I'd like to think my eyes and brain won't have a problem with it considering I play games at higher frame rates than 24fps. Higher frame rates just seem like logical progression to me. Oh well, I'll see it for myself on the 18th.

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;44978886 said:
Yes, those are the issues as well as geographical ones. But much of the geography of Middle-earth was still in its development stages and wouldn't be developed as we know it until much later. At the time of writing The Hobbit, Tolkien's legendarium was still in its infancy and many concepts and ideas overlapped with each other, hence Beren and Luthien's mention in early drafts of The Hobbit.

Yeah, I really need to get those History of The Hobbit books. My Annotated Hobbit is sufficing for now, but it's mostly covering the life of Tolkien and the different editions of the Hobbit and less about the drafts.

Also, thank you for doing a comprehensive OP. I know some people prefer smaller, to the point OPs, but for the Hobbit there's no reason to not go all out. Your last ME thread was epic.

From the daily mail, reporting on a Sunday Times story today titled Sick As A Hobbit.

I have to question this - how did a couple random fans get into the premier? I thought movie premiers were invite-only, for people involved in the making if the movie. Did the article try to contact the tweeters to figure out if they were telling the truth?

I have to question this - how did a couple random fans get into the premier? I thought movie premiers were invite-only, for people involved in the making if the movie. Did the article try to contact the tweeters to figure out if they were telling the truth?

Well there was about 700 at the premiere in the Embassy theater, but there also about 1,200 others who saw it at the same time at other screens in another theater in Wellington. So probably not random fans, just people who were invited and happened to be fans anyway or maybe there were +1's.

Having said that though, it calls one of the quotes a tweet, but you can't find it or any other of the quotes on twitter. None of these 'fans' that the quotes are attributed to are named either.

Btw, I still think 48fps is going to get mostly destroyed by the critics in the reviews Monday, but I think that will be more how it looked not because it made them feel sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom