• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this has been discussed to death earlier in the thread but did Tolkien or Jackson ever come up with a good compelling reason why Bilbo needs to go on this quest, or is it still just "Gandalf is kind of a dick who makes him a guinea pig for hobbit-kind?"

In addition to the whole destiny aspect, I believe there's also a reason/scene given very early on in the film which is sourced from the Unfinished Tales.

Somehow, I had been attracted to Bilbo before, as a child, and a young hobbit... He had stayed in my mind ever since with his eagerness and his bright eyes, and his love of tales, and his question about the wide world outside of the Shire.

Suddenly in my mind these three things came together: the great Dragon with his lust, and his keen hearing and scent; the sturdy heavy-booted Dwarves with their old burning grudge; and the quick, soft-footed hobbit, sick at heart (I guessed) for a sight of the wide world.

And then there's also the whole dialogue between Galadriel in the trailer where she outright asks him, to which the answer I hope is not the vague musing he gives apparently in reply.

Rootbeer

Banned
Bilbo has genetic ties to the Fallohides, a branch of Hobbits known to prefer hunting to tilling and liked to mingle with the elves and such. They made good adventurers. Gandalf had been visiting the shire for many years and knew Bilbo from when he was younger. At that time he sensed Bilbo was a spunky, adventerous type, so later when Thorin asks for Gandalf's help he remembers Bilbo. But upon arriving in the Shire to recruit the older Bilbo, Gandalf is disappointed to see how settled and content Bilbo is in his lifestyle which is contrary to how he remembered him, this strengthens Gandalf's resolve to convince him to come on the journey.

In addition to the whole destiny aspect, I believe there's also a reason/scene given very early on in the film which is sourced from the Unfinished Tales.

Somehow, I had been attracted to Bilbo before, as a child, and a young hobbit... He had stayed in my mind ever since with his eagerness and his bright eyes, and his love of tales, and his question about the wide world outside of the Shire.

And then there's also the whole dialogue between Galadriel in the trailer where she outright asks him, to which the answer I hope is not the vague musing he gives apparently in reply.

I am very interested to see this!

I always felt like it was one of the weaker points. Will of God is alright I suppose but it generally seemed like the series was a little more grounded than that. Frodo was "meant" to have the ring, but there was a clear chain of events leading up to his quest that it felt more sensible. Bilbo's quest is largely unprompted. Gandalf draws a mark on his door and goes "haha this is going to be great he is going to be so surprised."

Regarding the complaints about the film, I wonder how many will stand when the trilogy has completed. One of the prominent complaints is the lack of attention/character development for all but 4 dwarves. But if that's intentional, given plot/time constraints, and the other two films actually shift the focus to the other dwarves then as a whole, the trilogy does away with that complaint. The same thing goes for the first half moving slowly and being in the Shire. Given you're judging the film on its own, it's a criticism to make. When you view the trilogy as a whole however, it won't seem as a big a complaint and it provides a good opportunity for establishing Bilbo's homely foundation before thrusting him on his adventure, just like The Return of the King dealt with the return and overly long ending.

I hope that many of the original complaints will be gone when the completed package is actually delivered. I've never really viewed the films as separate parts but one continuous story.

bcl0328

why is every one so worried about ratings or what websites think? you are in this thread because you like the lord of the rings and the hobbit so you want to see it. just wait for it to come out and go see the movie. quit worrying about what others think and don't go in with any expectations, you might enjoy it. don't look at the previews or clips, don't read reviews. just go see it because a movie will never be as good as the first time you see it. go in knowing nothing.

Ainaurdur

The hate for Hook on this page has amused me. Most people I know who have seen it, loved it. You have to accept it for the cheesy camp that it is. Enjoy it for what it is, embrace the flaws that give it it's charm. But I agree it is not for everyone.
Some people don't like Princess Bride either.

Regarding the complaints about the film, I wonder how many will stand when the trilogy has completed. One of the prominent complaints is the lack of attention/character development for all but 4 dwarves. But if that's intentional, given plot/time constraints, and the other two films actually shift the focus to the other dwarves then as a whole, the trilogy does away with that complaint. The same thing goes for the first half moving slowly and being in the Shire. Given you're judging the film on its own, it's a criticism to make. When you view the trilogy as a whole however, it won't seem as a big a complaint and it provides a good opportunity for establishing Bilbo's homely foundation before thrusting him on his adventure, just like The Return of the King dealt with the return and overly long ending.

I hope that many of the original complaints will be gone when the completed package is actually delivered. I've never really viewed the films as separate parts but one continuous story.

I feel very much the same. One movie in three parts. So the idea that they have to come up with a self contained story for each film seems forced and silly to me. But I guess there are rules of story telling that must be followed...

There will be people who may only see one or two of the three films, gotta pander? ;)

Rootbeer

Banned
I like Hook, but then I saw it in theaters as a kid and it made an impression on me. I can't erase that. :p Even trying to look at it objectively I do not feel it deserves 29%. It's better than that.

I haven't seen Hook since being a kid... don't make me go watch it and ruin my memories, GAF. DONT.
I like Hook, but then I saw it in theaters as a kid and it made an impression on me. I can't erase that. :p Even trying to look at it objectively I do not feel it deserves 29%. It's better than that.
totally

Koodo

Banned
I'm loving how the HFR is getting so many people's tits in a twist. I cannot wait to see this movie in that format now. The mindfuck alone will be worth the price of admission whether I end up liking it or not.

Shame the movie is reading like a total drag though.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Hook is fucking awesome. Nothing more needs to be said. Batman Begins at 85% is a travesty though, that shit is probably one of the most sleep-inducing pieces of hot garbage I've ever seen.

Rottentomatoes is shit. Pixar movie? OMGSPLOOGE 10000%

Fuck off.

Pixar movies are usually very flawed but there are a couple of aspects about them that win people over so much that they don't care. UP was good, had that emotional stretch at the beginning, but the rest of the story was kind of dumb and random. Wall E has a terrific first act but then it almost completely loses me with a preachy story that I couldn't attach to. Some of the more solid Pixar movies IMO are still kind of forgettable like Ratatouille and Finding Nemo, but then Monsters Inc. is fantastic all around and one of my favorites, and the Toy Story trilogy is pretty solid with the first being my favorite. But the more "critically acclaimed" ones are far from perfect IMO.

Haven't seen Cars. They both look like shit.

Ithil

100% just means that all reviews collected were positive, not that they're saying the movie is completely perfect.

Ixion

Latest Review: 7/10 from JoBlo

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/review-the-hobbit--an-unexpected-journey-embargoed

It's very positive, except he 'loathed' the high frame rate....

Now- the one thing that absolutely has to be addressed is the whole 48fps issue. I got to see it in this new fangled-format, and I’m sad to say I absolutely loathed the experience. To me, the movie- in 48fps, looks like video, as if I was watching a football game on my HDTV, or something on the BBC. Maybe it just takes some getting used to, but it’s simply not cinematic, and the ultra-fast motion was disorienting, and distracted from an otherwise good film. I have no doubt people will love this “realistic” approach- but who goes to THE HOBBIT for realism? For me it was a huge drawback, although I tried not to let it affect my rating too much, as I know only about a third of the prints will be affected by the technology. One thing’s for certain- if I see it again it’ll be in 24fps. Of course, it’s also in 3D, which is about as good here as the technology gets, even if I’m not a fan of the gimmick in general.

Pixar movies are usually very flawed but there are a couple of aspects about them that win people over so much that they don't care. UP was good, had that emotional stretch at the beginning, but the rest of the story was kind of dumb and random. Wall E has a terrific first act but then it almost completely loses me with a preachy story that I couldn't attach to. Some of the more solid Pixar movies IMO are still kind of forgettable like Ratatouille and Finding Nemo, but then Monsters Inc. is fantastic all around and one of my favorites, and the Toy Story trilogy is pretty solid with the first being my favorite. But the more "critically acclaimed" ones are far from perfect IMO.

Haven't seen Cars. They both look like shit.

Agreed. They're not as good as people make them out to be.

Twitchfilm review.

The short version is this: If you hated the other films, there will be nothing more for you here. You'll find the character tedious, the storyline predictable, the farcical elements too broad and the musical moments appalling. For the many, many fans of the original trilogy, however, you'll find an enormously comfortable setting, one that's easily the equal of the other films in the series.

It took many paths to get here, but The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey lives up to even heightened expectations following its Best Picture-winning sibling. It's a film that feels like it was always meant to exist, living comfortably as part of the greater whole while not coming across as redundant or repetitive. It does what so few sequels/prequels do, making you hungry for the next of the series, while still making you appreciate very much what has come before.

In the end, there's little more than can be asked for from a film of this type. And that, I'd suggest, is more than enough to recommend it for a wide audience.

Ixion

Yeah. I've found most people are lousy at interpreting Rotten Tomatoes scores.

RottenTomatoes basically tells you how reliable the movie is. You could have a very solid but unspectacular movie get a 90% since it's something that is easy to enjoy, but won't change the world. The pixar movies are good examples.

Then you have a movie like Cloud Atlas which is the exact opposite of reliable. It's a more risky movie that made viewers go one way or the other, and its 63% RottenTomatoes score reflected that.

So with that said, based on the reviews we've been getting of The Hobbit so far, the RottenTomatoes score will most likely be quite high. We're not getting many gushing reviews, but the general consensus seems to be that it's a fun ride, which is something most people won't dislike.

I wonder how many of these reviews are either being lowered or raised due to the HFR. It's apparently extremely divisive and in some cases overly distracting.

Seems like in some cases a 4/5 is a 4.5/5 because OMG HFR HOLY )(FNSDKFJS SPLOOOOOGE and in some cases a 4/5 is a 2.5/5 because OMG HFR MIGRAINE FUCK THAT SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

So happy I've decided to see a standard 24 fps version of this without all the doo-dads and hoopla. Still concerned about the whole slow start thing, but when you take what was probably 6 hours of content and stretch it to 9, you're gonna have that issue.

t-ramp

I wonder how many of these reviews are either being lowered or raised due to the HFR. It's apparently extremely divisive and in some cases overly distracting.

Seems like in some cases a 4/5 is a 4.5/5 because OMG HFR HOLY )(FNSDKFJS SPLOOOOOGE and in some cases a 4/5 is a 2.5/5 because OMG HFR MIGRAINE FUCK THAT SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

So happy I've decided to see a standard 24 fps version of this without all the doo-dads and hoopla. Still concerned about the whole slow start thing, but when you take what was probably 6 hours of content and stretch it to 9, you're gonna have that issue.
For me, based on my limited theater-going, I don't get bored in a theater setting. I've heard people were bored with Cloud Atlas and even Skyfall, but I tend to just sit down and experience the movie, even if it's slow going at times.

I'm expecting to go to a 2D showing of The Hobbit and enjoy myself.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Hobbit week in Colbert.

Here's Colbert's: "Tolkien-esque" map of NYC

2Xkn2.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
TV Spot 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWYdBjtGwic

More HFR impressions
I was lucky enought to see a screening of the Hobbit on Warner Bros. lot Monday evening. I won't go into details about the story, but I wanted to comment on the 48 fps.

When the film first opens I was taken back by how different it did look. It was shocking to say the least. It is so crystal clear. You can see the details of the characters and surroundings down to a single blade of grass. I will agree with Peter Jackson that it took sometime for me to get comfortable with the change. I wasn't until at least an hour into the movie that I started to forget about the new frame rate and was able to be in awww by how beautiful the film looked. I also think that with F/X heavy CGI films the 48 fps really made everything look real. It was much harder to notice a distiction between what was real and what was CGI, it all looked real, even the CG characters. As for people that say they are getting motion sickness, I call BS on that one. The actions scenes don't have the jerkiness or roughness that they have with 24 fps. Everything is very smooth and when the action gets quick there is no blurring or "what was that", you are able to see everything in very high clarity.

This process also helped the 3D as it didn't give that darkness that 24 fps 3D movies have. Everything was bright and looked amazing.
Overall, I like the new frame rate. I didn't notice any issues with it and as many have said it's like when you went from a standard TV to HDTV. The technology will grow and can only get better. I can't wait to see the film again in 48 fps.

Edmond Dantès;45095882 said:
Cool, we expect in depth impressions. :)
Absolutely!
The only thing that concerns me is the HFR. But that's also why I'm excited by it because it'll be a complete first. I think my screening may have Atmos as well.

Jacob

If I recall correctly they put the trailer for The Two Towers in front of Fellowship of the Ring towards the end of its run. I wouldn't be surprised if we something similar for The Desolation of Smaug.

As someone who has not bothered yet with the technical details and just wants to see the movie, will there be a 48 fps 2D version as well or just the 3D one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom