• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably gonna re-read Tolkein's works over christmas now, the hype for this movie has convinced me to do so. I think my collection consists of:

• The Simarillion
  • The Children of Hurin
  • Unfinished Tales
  • The Hobbit
  • LOTR

Anything else that I'm leaving out that would make a good addition?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
785143_1328198466095_250_286.jpg

He wouldn't need the One Ring to be evil.

A Tom Bombadil ruled earth. You can just hear the Ring a ding dilos!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'm probably gonna re-read Tolkein's works over christmas now, the hype for this movie has convinced me to do so. I think my collection consists of:

• The Simarillion
  • The Children of Hurin
  • Unfinished Tales
  • The Hobbit
  • LOTR

Anything else that I'm leaving out that would make a good addition?
Tales from the Perilous Realm and Letters from Father Christmas would be good additions.

Tolkien_-_Tales_from_the_Perilous_Realm_Coverart.png

51TynesJNAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Edmond Dantès;45122976 said:
785143_1328198466095_250_286.jpg

He wouldn't need the One Ring to be evil.

A Tom Bombadil ruled earth. You can just hear the Ring a ding dilos!

I love that one blog with a theory that Tom Bombadil is in fact utterly evil :lol. It kinda even made sense in a strange sort of way.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
wights?
Second film, once the White Council/Necromancer sub plot really gets going. From what I understand AUJ sets the seeds for the sub plot without too much emphasis on who The Necromancer is. More is most probably revealed in Desolation and his minions; wolves, bats, Wights etc

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;45123167 said:
Second film, once the White Council/Necromancer sub plot really gets going. From what I understand AUJ sets the seeds for the sub plot without too much emphasis on who The Necromancer is. More is most probably revealed in Desolation and his minions; wolves, bats, Wights etc

Just hope the "prequel" elements are not too strong. Too many scenes that set up the LOTR will be redundant to most current viewers.

Reading the Tolkein Wiki and was reminded of this, absolutely beautiful when you know the story behind it.

Meanwhile, Tolkien had the name Lúthien engraved on Edith's tombstone at Wolvercote Cemetery, Oxford. When Tolkien died 21 months later on 2 September 1973, at the age of 81,[84] he was buried in the same grave, with Beren added to his name.

Why is it bullshit? Was it confirmed that those reports were made up? People get motion sick even watching regular films so it is certainly possible some would feel motion sick watching this film for the first time. Lets wait and see.

Because one critic with a queasy stomach says it, The Sun (in the UK) runs a headline that it gives you cancer, and the film is given a negative image as a whole. Same thing happened with the 3DS, it's bull.

Ixion

TheOneRing interviewed Richard Armitage.

Only read it if you've read the book though...

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/12/05/66668-richard-armitage-talks-to-theonering-net/

EDIT: And here's another review. Very positive, but didn't like most of the jokes.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy behind him, Peter Jackson has begun yet another, this time adapting the Tolkien epic, The Hobbit. Flashing up the fantasy with soaring swagger, a bit of the jolly and some brand new shooting techniques, he delivers a long, but pretty fun ride.

Let’s get that technical stuff out of the way. The film was shot in 3D 48 frames-per-second and is being released in that High Frame Rate, traditional 3D and also in 2D formats. So, you buy your ticket, you take your choice. I, who has had some dizzying effects from earlier standard 3D films, was perfectly fine watching this one, although I have heard others complain. While it was jarring when the few brightly lit scenes took on the look of a TV video game, generally, I thought the look and the 3D effects were pretty cool.

Usually, when I see five writers given credit on a film, I assume we’re in for trouble. However, Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Guillermo del Toro (along with Tolkien’s original story) weave a tale that flows, even when it reminds us of other moments seen previously in the Rings movies. We also are greeted with happy reunions. Ian McKellen has a sizeable role again as Gandalf, Cate Blanchett shows up as Galadriel, Ian Holm as Old Bilbo, Christopher Lee as Sauman, Hugo Weaving as Elrond and don’t blink or you’ll miss Elijah Wood as Frodo. Andy Serkis gets a good chuck of screen time to re-work his magic as Gollum and, in the central role as Bilbo Baggins, Martin Freeman is a delight.

And, of course, there are effects. Tons of them, along with massive action scenes, and lots of fantasy adventure. And boy, does it move! Even at a running time of 2 hours and 46 minutes, no one will have time to get bored. I wasn’t particularly amused by the very dumb jokes that are spread throughout. Those, while lightening up the tone, seem to be aiming for the little kids who probably wouldn’t be able to follow much more else here.

There’s no question Jackson and company are off to an ambitious start here, with a few bumps along the way. The Rings trilogy grew stronger as it went along; I see no reason why the Hobbit one won’t either.

http://themovieminute.com/movies.html

Omg still 1 week left and the wait is unbearable... God only knows how I've managed to keep away from the spoilery tv spots and sneak peaks!

I'll be watching it for the first time in good old-fashioned 2D 24fps. I'm of course very curious of HFR 3D but it can wait, I don't want to risk ruining this movie for some fucking controversial tech.

The road goes ever on and on... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rppoKcmk_JA (Thank you Howard Shore for making our world better with your music... ^_^)

Though there is a horrible year long wait for the second film, I've remembered the bright side is that the last film arrives 6~ months after the second film. Cinemas will be playing all 6 films in theatres in that summer too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom