• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
For reference sakes;

Eru Iluvatar (god)

Melkor the Rebeller

Kings of the Valar:

Manwë Súlimo, King of the Valar
Ulmo, King of the Sea
Aulë, the Smith
Oromë Aldaron, the Great Rider
Mandos (Námo), Judge of the Dead
Irmo (Lórien), Master of Dreams and Desires
Tulkas Astaldo, Champion of Valinor

Queens of the Valar:

Varda Elentári, Queen of the Stars, wife of Manwë
Yavanna Kementári (Palùrien), Giver of Fruits, wife of Aulë
Nienna, Lady of Mercy
Estë the Gentle
Vairë the Weaver
Vána the Ever-young
Nessa the Dancer

The known Maiar:

Aiwendil (Radgast)
Alatar (One of the Blue Wizards)
Arien (The Vessel of the Sun, a fire spirit of the same kin as the Balrogs)
Curumo (Saruman)
Eonwe (The Herald of Manwe and the mightiest of the Maiar)
Gothmog (Lord of the Balrogs)
Ilmarë (Very close to Varda)
Melian (One of the wisest and mother of Luthien)
Olorin (Gandalf)
Osse (Rebelled initially but was forgiven by the Valar)
Pallando (The other Blue Wizard)
Salmar (A sort of sea siren spirit)
Sauron (Melkor's greatest servant and the second Dark Lord)
Tilion (The Vessel of the Moon)
Uinen (Osse's wife)

In the Return of the King extended edition, it is the Crowns of the Seven Kings listed above that Saruman speaks of before his death.

Edmond Dantès;45113893 said:
For reference sakes;

Eru Iluvatar (god)

Melkor the Rebeller

Kings of the Valar:

Manwë Súlimo, King of the Valar
Ulmo, King of the Sea
Aulë, the Smith
Oromë Aldaron, the Great Rider
Mandos (Námo), Judge of the Dead
Irmo (Lórien), Master of Dreams and Desires
Tulkas Astaldo, Champion of Valinor

Queens of the Valar:

Varda Elentári, Queen of the Stars, wife of Manwë
Yavanna Kementári (Palùrien), Giver of Fruits, wife of Aulë
Nienna, Lady of Mercy
Estë the Gentle
Vairë the Weaver
Vána the Ever-young
Nessa the Dancer

The known Maiar:

Aiwendil (Radgast)
Alatar (One of the Blue Wizards)
Curumo (Saruman)
Arien (The Vessel of the Sun, a fire spirit of the same kin as the Balrogs)
Olorin (Gandalf)
Eonwe (The Herald of Manwe and the mightiest of the Maiar)
Gothmog (Lord of the Balrogs)
Ilmarë (Very close to Varda)
Melian (One of the wisest and mother of Luthien)
Olorin (Gandalf)
Osse (Rebelled initially but was forgiven by the Valar)
Pallando (The other Blue Wizard)
Salmar (A sort of sea siren spirit)
Sauron (Melkor's greatest servant and the second Dark Lord)
Tilion (The Vessel of the Moon)
Uinen (Osse's wife)

In the Return of the King extended edition, it is the Crowns of the Seven Kings listed above that Saruman speaks of before his death.

Bombadil rocks so hard he doesn't need to be on a list.

So...I'm reading that page and look over and see this...

Galadriel_Hobbit_Poster.jpg

..and I swear I thought she was giving me the finger.

I'd like to apologize for this in advance. So, Sorry.

I'd love to give her the finger (or several). The shocker even, if she's into that sort of thing.

I'll got sit in a corner now.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Bombadil rocks so hard he doesn't need to be on a list.
He was most probably an Ainu without rank. Just a free spirit inhabiting Arda, or a by-product of the Weaving of Arda and the confrontation between Eru and Melkor. Ungoliant being the other by-product of this confrontation. A theory I've mentioned earlier in this thread.

Tom (the light)
Ungoliant (the antithesis, the darkness, consumer of the Two Trees of Valinor)

Edmond Dantès;45096422 said:
An OT is never late &Divius, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to.

I'll have it up either today or tomorrow.

You're late. Our master grows impatient. He wants the OT NOW!

I guess we continue to use this thread for DOS news.

Why does Isildur walk AgentSmith all the way to the top of Mount Doom before he decides not to toss the ring? Man, what an inconsiderate asshole.

Wilbur

Banned
Why does Isildur walk AgentSmith all the way to the top of Mount Doom before he decides not to toss the ring? Man, what an inconsiderate asshole.

Notice how he walked out and left him there as well? Maybe it was an Agent Smith clone who met them all at Rivendell

overcast

Serious question, I love the movie and I've watched them numerous times (going through all 3 with my GF right now) but what makes the ring so powerful? For example, why would men want it to wield the "power"?

All I see is Frodo going invisible haha.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Serious question, I love the movie and I've watched them numerous times (going through all 3 with my GF right now) but what makes the ring so powerful? For example, why would men want it to wield the "power"?

The short answer: Sauron tied his soul and will to the ring, putting most of his power into it. The evil within the ring would ensnare others to use them for returning to its rightful master, and in the process it would trick the bearer into believing (s)he could wield its power.

The One Ring makes folks invisible and live at least hundreds of years, but that's really just a side effect. The theory is, if you have incredible strength of will (more than Bilbo or Frodo), you can force The Ring to do your bidding - its main purpose is to control the people wearing the other Rings of Power, such as the 9 ring wraiths, Galadriel or Elrond - and since they too are wearing rings of power, then you can of course make them do things with their rings.

But it also has a huge chunk of Sauron's old power in it, he kinda put himself into the making of the ring. So if you have full control over The Ring you can become uber powerful, depending on your nature. Of course, Sauron's power in it is rather twisted with evil so even if you used The Ring for good you would eventually become corrupted by it. But still powerful - Sauron was scared silly when he thought Aragorn had the ring, not because he thought Aragorn might destroy it, but because he figured Aragorn was going to use the Ring and cast him down.

Depends who wears it. Gollum, Isildur, Bilbo and Frodo ''only'' get invisibility and vastly prolonged life but more powerful beings like Galadriel, Gandalf, Saruman and Sauron would get immense power. For men I guess Denethor though he would gain immense power too. He was much more badass in the book than in the movies if I recall. Dunno how it would effect him.

apana

There is no power, it is all a placebo effect. Actually it is a purity ring but Sauron didn't want anyone to find out his little secret and so he had to make up a story about ring of power when the elves discovered it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Well certainly the laws of physics tell us that the ring cannot be more powerful than Sauron himself!

BTW I didn't know Galadriel had a ring. It doesn't do anything to her?

Well certainly the laws of physics tell us that the ring cannot be more powerful than Sauron himself!

Gandalf has a ring too. How I remember it is that it helps her keep Lothlorien safe. After Saurons ring is destroyed her powers begin to disappear and she finally has to leave middle earth. Same goes for Elrond.

Edmond will arrive to give better answers obviously lol.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Quoting from Wikipedia, since typing out long posts on my phone is tedious.

Nenya's power gave preservation, protection, and possibly concealment from evil because "there is a secret power here that holds evil from the land". However, the fact that Orcs from Moria entered Lórien after The Fellowship of the Ring and Lórien itself had suffered previous attacks from Sauron's Orcs sent from Dol Guldur suggests the power of the ring did not constitute military prowess. It was said that, protected as it was by Nenya, Lothlórien would not have fallen unless Sauron had personally come to attack it. Galadriel used these powers to create and sustain Lothlórien, but it also increased in her the longing for the Sea and her desire to return to the Undying Lands.

mrkgoo

I think the official soundtrack comes out here tomorrow. I have the other three (just regular release ones). Is this one worth it? I notice two versions on iTunes...

Is it out in other regions yet?

Edit: oh yeah I can listen to previews! Sweet.

I wonder how it would be reviewing if we'd never used 50 or 60fps for the news, soap operas, or camcorders. I'd bet a lot of the people who think HFR makes it look "cheap" and "fake" just have it in their minds that clear high framerate pictures = cheap soap operas.

I wonder how it would be reviewing if we'd never used 50 or 60fps for the news, soap operas, or camcorders. I'd bet a lot of the people who think HFR makes it look "cheap" and "fake" just have it in their minds that clear high framerate pictures = cheap soap operas.

From what I've read, the issue isn't that it is like soap operas; it is that the visual effects stand out more, and the costume and set imperfections are more pronounced as a result of the higher FPS. It isn't merely an association that "higher FPR = cheap television", it is that higher frames per second are showcasing flaws in the "magic" of moviemaking.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'd actually respect this fool more if he just admitted that it was becuz Hobbit 3: The Search For Mo' Money.

I'm a cynical fuck, but I don't think money had anything to do with Jackson's desire to do a third movie. The studio for agreeing? Of course. Jackson, however, just doesn't know how cut material, or be in any way concise. His natural instinct is bloat.

I'd actually respect this fool more if he just admitted that it was becuz Hobbit 3: The Search For Mo' Money.

lol, such bullshit jett, if all he was interested in was money he would have become a director for hire after LOTR and made a fucking fortune. He didn't even want to direct The Hobbit originally, the only reason that its now happened is because del Toro quit.

mrkgoo

Gotta admit - there's a certain poetry in symmetry to have two trilogies with subtitles.

I think it would've been nice to just be a two parter though. Then again I can't even remember the hobbit story much.

Well gotta say when I was thinking about extra material to add
Radagast fighting wraiths
wasn't on my mind! Potentially very cool scene.

All this 3D, HFR stuff is doing my head in.

Here in Dubai there is no info on where to see a HFR version.

At least the film opens on the 13th.

Doing some research just opens up a nasty Pandora's box of contrary info.

Apparently the Integrated Media Block (IMB) digital projection format can only handle 2K HFR 3D anyway.

Not just that but a HFR 3D 4K version would exceed the IMD hard drive storage limit.

So much for shooting The Hobbit with 5K RED cameras.

Some people even suggest the film would have been down rezzed to 2K anyway, as producing digital special effects in 4K is cost and time prohibitive. So the Digital Master will only ever be 2K.

I have an excellent IMAX screen at the Meydan literally 15mins from where I live. This cinema only opened in July. But is it only traditional film based IMAX 1570, or do they have Digital IMAX projectors too?

There is no film based HFR 3D version of The Hobbit, as far as I know. But would the film based 24fps IMAX 3D version look best as this would be a transfer of 4K version to 1570 film. Or is there no 4K version, only 2K so that argument is moot.

Does 48fps make for a better 3D experience so framerate trumps resolution? You would think that 48fps 3D would have lower light loss issues. But IMAX 3D already has lower light loss.

There maybe no 48fps options in Dubai making this moot for me.

At least my experience with seeing DKR and Skyfall at Meydan IMAX were excellent. And seeing Prometheus, Hugo and Tron Legacy in Digital 3D at the VOX Mirdiff were also excellent.

So maybe I should just relax.

mrkgoo

So the soundtrack is out here... there are two versions, one seems it has a few more songs. Anyone have some impressions of the soundtrack and differences between the two?

One thig that annoyed me about PJs LOTR was that he made Gandalf look like an old man with a magic stick and not what he actually is, which is essentially a Demi-God i.e getting his ass handed to him by the Witch King. Sort of hoping he fixes this in the Hobbit.

Just one thing about the ring, there were a view different opinions about it's potential power posted recently and having not read LOTR or the Simarillion in quite a while I'm now sllightly confused. Was it technically possible for the likes of Galadriel or Gandalf to bend the power of the ring to their will or not? I always assumed they could if they so wished, but would become corrupted to the same extent as Sauron himself.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
One thig that annoyed me about PJs LOTR was that he made Gandalf look like an old man with a magic stick and not what he actually is, which is essentially a Demi-God i.e getting his ass handed to him by the Witch King. Sort of hoping he fixes this in the Hobbit.

Just one thing about the ring, there were a view different opinions about it's potential power posted recently and having not read LOTR or the Simarillion in quite a while I'm now sllightly confused. Was it technically possible for the likes of Galadriel or Gandalf to bend the power of the ring to their will or not? I always assumed they could if they so wished, but would become corrupted to the same extent as Sauron himself.
They could, as they were powerful enough to do so. Gandalf in particular being of the same kind as Sauron. In fact Tolkien even states that Gandalf would be even more terrible than Sauron if in possession of the One Ring.

From Tolkien's letters
Of the others only Gandalf might be expected to master him - being an
emissary of the Powers and a creature of the same order, an immortal spirit
taking a visible physical form. In the 'Mirror of Galadriel', 1381, it
appears that Galadriel conceived of herself as capable of wielding the Ring
and supplanting the Dark Lord. If so, so also were the other guardians of
the Three, especially Elrond. But this is another matter. It was part of the
essential deceit of the Ring to fill minds with imaginations of supreme
power. But this the Great had well considered and had rejected, as is seen
in Elrond's words at the Council. Galadriel's rejection of the temptation
was founded upon previous thought and resolve. In any case Elrond or
Galadriel would have proceeded in the policy now adopted by Sauron: they
would have built up an empire with great and absolutely subservient generals
and armies and engines of war, until they could challenge Sauron and destroy
him by force. Confrontation of Sauron alone, unaided, self to self was not
contemplated. One can imagine the scene in which Gandalf, say, was placed in
such a position. It would be a delicate balance. On one side the true
allegiance of the Ring to Sauron; on the other superior strength because
Sauron was not actually in possession, and perhaps also because he was
weakened by long corruption and expenditure of will in dominating inferiors.
If Gandalf proved the victor, the result would have been for Sauron the same
as the destruction of the Ring; for him it would have been destroyed, taken
from him for ever. But the Ring and all its works would have endured. It
would have been the master in the end.

Gandalf as Ring-Lord would have been far worse than Sauron. He would have
remained 'righteous', but self-righteous. He would have continued to rule
and order things for 'good', and the benefit of his subjects according to
his wisdom (which was and would have remained great). Thus while Sauron
multiplied evil, he left "good" clearly distinguishable from it.
Gandalf would have made good detestable and seem evil.

Edmond Dantès;45122509 said:
They could, as they were powerful enough to do so. Gandalf in particular being of the same kind of Sauron. In fact Tolkien even states that Gandalf would be even more terrible than Sauron if in possession of the One Ring.

Interesting.. Is this stated in one of the books or was it a quote from Tolkein? So I take it that it really would have been the worst case scenario if Saruman had gotten hold of the ring?

EDIT: Just seen the letter Edmond! Thanks!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Interesting.. Is this stated in one of the books or was it a quote from Tolkein? So I take it that it really would have been the worst case scenario if Saruman had gotten hold of the ring?
In Tolkien's letters:
Of the others only Gandalf might be expected to master him - being an
emissary of the Powers and a creature of the same order, an immortal spirit
taking a visible physical form. In the 'Mirror of Galadriel', 1381, it
appears that Galadriel conceived of herself as capable of wielding the Ring
and supplanting the Dark Lord. If so, so also were the other guardians of
the Three, especially Elrond. But this is another matter. It was part of the
essential deceit of the Ring to fill minds with imaginations of supreme
power. But this the Great had well considered and had rejected, as is seen
in Elrond's words at the Council. Galadriel's rejection of the temptation
was founded upon previous thought and resolve. In any case Elrond or
Galadriel would have proceeded in the policy now adopted by Sauron: they
would have built up an empire with great and absolutely subservient generals
and armies and engines of war, until they could challenge Sauron and destroy
him by force. Confrontation of Sauron alone, unaided, self to self was not
contemplated. One can imagine the scene in which Gandalf, say, was placed in
such a position. It would be a delicate balance. On one side the true
allegiance of the Ring to Sauron; on the other superior strength because
Sauron was not actually in possession, and perhaps also because he was
weakened by long corruption and expenditure of will in dominating inferiors.
If Gandalf proved the victor, the result would have been for Sauron the same
as the destruction of the Ring; for him it would have been destroyed, taken
from him for ever. But the Ring and all its works would have endured. It
would have been the master in the end.

Gandalf as Ring-Lord would have been far worse than Sauron. He would have
remained 'righteous', but self-righteous. He would have continued to rule
and order things for 'good', and the benefit of his subjects according to
his wisdom (which was and would have remained great). Thus while Sauron
multiplied evil, he left "good" clearly distinguishable from it.
Gandalf would have made good detestable and seem evil.

What's also interesting, is what would have happened to Frodo:
Frodo had become a considerable person, but of a special kind: in spiritual
enlargement rather than in increase of physical or mental power; his will
was much stronger than it had been, but so far it had been exercised in
resisting not using the Ring and with the object of destroying it. He needed
time, much time, before he could control the Ring or (which in such a case
is the same) before it could control him; before his will and arrogance
could grow to a stature in which he could dominate other major hostile
wills. Even so for a long time his acts and commands would still have to
seem 'good' to him, to be for the benefit of others beside himself.

The situation as between Frodo with the Ring and the Eight might be
compared to that of a small brave man armed with a devastating weapon, faced
by eight savage warriors of great strength and agility armed with poisoned
blades. The man's weakness was that he did not know how to use his weapon
yet; and he was by temperament and training averse to violence. Their
weakness that the man's weapon was a thing that filled them with fear as an
object of terror in their religious cult, by which they had been conditioned
to treat one who wielded it with servility. I think they would have shown
'servility'. They would have greeted Frodo as 'Lord'. With fair speeches
they would have induced him to leave the Sammath Naur - for instance 'to
look upon his new kingdom, and behold afar with his new sight the abode of
power that he must now claim and turn to his own purposes'. Once outside the
chamber while he was gazing some of them would have destroyed the entrance.
Frodo would by then probably have been already too enmeshed in great plans
of reformed rule - like but far greater and wider than the vision that
tempted Sam (III 177) - to heed this. But if he still preserved some sanity
and partly understood the significance of it, so that he refused now to go
with them to Barad-dûr, they would simply have waited. Until Sauron himself
came. In any case a confrontation of Frodo and Sauron would soon have taken
place, if the Ring was intact. Its result was inevitable. Frodo would have
been utterly overthrown: crushed to dust, or preserved in torment as a
gibbering slave. Sauron would not have feared the Ring! It was his own and
under his will. Even from afar he had an effect upon it, to make it work for
its return to himself. In his actual presence none but very few of equal
stature could have hoped to withhold it from him. Of 'mortals' no one, not
even Aragorn. In the contest with the Palantír Aragorn was the rightful
owner. Also the contest took place at a distance, and in a tale which allows
the incarnation of great spirits in a physical and destructible form their
power must be far greater when actually physically present. Sauron should be
thought of as very terrible. The form that he took was that of a man of more
than human stature, but not gigantic. In his earlier incarnation he was able
to veil his power (as Gandalf did) and could appear as a commanding figure.

Mario007

I'll be going to see this next week, I'm just wondering is the book worth reading in the meantime or would I be better off just watching it and then reading the book at my own time sometime later? From what I've read there's gonna be a lot of stuff added from the Appendices and Silmarillion, so that's why I'm asking.

I'll be going to see this next week, I'm just wondering is the book worth reading in the meantime or would I be better off just watching it and then reading the book at my own time sometime later? From what I've read there's gonna be a lot of stuff added from the Appendices and Silmarillion, so that's why I'm asking.

I have no idea. The movie only covers about the 6 first chapters of relatively short book and indeed there is lot of added stuff. I probably would suggest watching the movie first.

There aint really Silmarillion stuff. They don't have the rights.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
If you don't want any preconceived ideas about the story then go in fresh without reading the book. If you want to appreciate or critique Peter Jackson and co on how they've adapted the story then read the book first.

But experiencing Tolkien via the books is quite something.

Mario007

I have no idea. The movie only covers about the 6 first chapters of relatively short book and indeed there is lot of added stuff. I probably would suggest watching the movie first.

There aint really Silmarillion stuff. They don't have the rights.
Yeah I was thinking that would have been the way to go. Cheers.

Also, booo for not having Silmarillion stuff. I actually quite enjoyed from what I've read from it. It could make a decent trilogy or even a saga on its own with competent writers fleshing it out

If you don't want any preconceived ideas about the story then go in fresh without reading the book. If you want to appreciate or critique Peter Jackson and co on how they've adapted the story then read the book first.

But experiencing Tolkien via the books is quite something.

Hmm, I've read the LotR books before seeing the movies (well the second and third) and actually didn't enjoy the direction Jackson took the movies in some parts, so I guess that's a valid suggestion. I'll go in fresh to further the enjoyment and then will read the book and maybe rewatch it when it comes to Blu Ray.

Yeah I was thinking that would have been the way to go. Cheers.

Also, booo for not having Silmarillion stuff. I actually quite enjoyed from what I've read from it. It could make a decent trilogy or even a saga on its own with competent writers fleshing it out

Most if not all of the Silmarillion stuff would probably have been only mentions so it's not really a big deal for these movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom