• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Cate Blanchett is the kind of beauty men used to go to war over. She looked ridiculously gorgeous in The Hobbit.

Loxley

My girlfiend, who is also a fan of the books and movies, never loved Cate Blanchett as Galadriel. Mostly just because Galadriel is described as the pinacle of beauty, and while she thought Blanchett was pretty, she never felt that she completely matched that description. I've tried to convince her otherwise, but to no avail.

...Until we saw the Hobbit, she thought Blanchett looked gorgeous. As we discussed in the other thread, she seems to just age backwards.

Actually, between Blanchett and Lucy Lawless, I'm beginning to think that there's some secret Lazarus Pit hidden in Australia that they're telling the rest of the world about.

Someone go get Sculli.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
A few images from my trip today.

Inspirations behind certain aspects of the Legendarium.

Try to guess what parts of the Legendarium in particular these object relate to without looking at the spoilers.

iczUZfVmmEUJt.JPG

French bronze sculpture dating 1800-1850.
Huan, the Hound of Valinor and Carcharoth.

ibeQ72PmuKzkjZ.JPG

Zeus & Ganymede.
Manwë and his eagles and a certain Huan again.

iphoAzjvCvBW5.JPG

icEHL9LFABoba.JPG

Jupiter riding an eagle, Giuseppe Piamontini.
Riding of the eagles + Manwë again.

(Tolkien's love for eagles is well documented.)

ieiGMs7wKBkW9.JPG

Satan by Jean-Jacques Feuchere.
Our very own fallen Ainu.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;45875219 said:
A few images from my trip today.

Inspirations behind certain aspects of the Legendarium.

Try to guess what parts of the Legendarium in particular these object relate to without looking at the spoilers.

French bronze sculpture dating 1800-1850.
Huan, the Hound of Valinor and Carcharoth.

Zeus & Ganymede.
Manwë and his eagles and a certain Huan again.

Jupiter riding an eagle, Giuseppe Piamontini.
Riding of the eagles + Manwë again.

(Tolkien's love for eagles is well documented.)

Satan by Jean-Jacques Feuchere.
Our very own fallen Ainu.

Bah, 2/4.

Curufinwe

My girlfiend, who is also a fan of the books and movies, never loved Cate Blanchett as Galadriel. Mostly just because Galadriel is described as the pinacle of beauty, and while she thought Blanchett was pretty, she never felt that she completely matched that description. I've tried to convince her otherwise, but to no avail.

...Until we saw the Hobbit, she thought Blanchett looked gorgeous. As we discussed in the other thread, she seems to just age backwards.

Actually, between Blanchett and Lucy Lawless, I'm beginning to think that there's some secret Lazarus Pit hidden in Australia that they're telling the rest of the world about.

Someone go get Sculli.

Lucy Lawless is a New Zealander.

Outside of the Middle Earth films, Blanchett is actually rather androgynous. I mean, she's not ugly like Tilda Swinton, but she isn't the most feminine or pretty looking woman in the world.

But in the Rings and Hobbit, yes - she is quite stunning.

I saw this the other day, and ended up liking it overall. While the movie did seem kinda long (I ended up checking my cell phone once or twice, wondering how close to the end we were), it did have some very stunning vistas and scenes, such as the introduction and the mountain scene.

I never felt queezy watching the movie, though I don't know if that's because I saw it in 2D, or if I'm used to higher frame rates. The only times I was bothered was during scenes when they're moving the camera quickly over a scene.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Outside of the Middle Earth films, Blanchett is actually rather androgynous. I mean, she's not ugly like Tilda Swinton, but she isn't the most feminine or pretty looking woman in the world.

God, casting Swinton as Jadis in Narnia annoyed me so much. She looked more like a bitter, middle-aged spinster than the cruel, beautiful Ice Queen I had visualized after reading the book.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

She's never looked all that elven to my mind. Always pictured them more sharp featured.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

She was very hot as her 20-years-old-self in Benjamin Button.

Harlock

Great fun and pacing. I liked a lot.

In some scenes, like the magician in the buggy fleeing orcs, the 48fps feels weird. Realistic for a thing that not be real.

And in other scenes, when the character gets something or shaking arms, the movie seems in fast-foward. Maybe this is a defect they correct in upcoming 48fps movies.

Danis

Neo Member
I was hoping some Tolkien lore buffs could help my wife and I clear some things up. We read "The Hobbit" up to where we assumed the film would end, which was the start of the chapter "Out of the Frying pan, into the fire", and we are pretty sure Peter Jackson added some things to move the narrative forward, but we were not 100% sure, as there are extended versions of The Hobbit out there, and the Appendices as well.

These are the things we think Jackson added himself to the story, but we're looking for clarification (We've only read 1/3 of the book so far).

• The White Orc
  • Radagast the Brown (we know he's mentioned, but not a part of the story?)
  • The meeting with Sauramon, Elrond, Gandalf and Galadriel
  • The Eagles
  • The context of the Necromancer (Gandalf mentions him when speaking to the Dwarves, that he's fought him, but he seems clueless in the film)

Combichristoffersen

I was hoping some Tolkien lore buffs could help my wife and I clear some things up. We read "The Hobbit" up to where we assumed the film would end, which was the start of the chapter "Out of the Frying pan, into the fire", and we are pretty sure Peter Jackson added some things to move the narrative forward, but we were not 100% sure, as there are extended versions of The Hobbit out there, and the Appendices as well.

These are the things we think Jackson added himself to the story, but we're looking for clarification (We've only read 1/3 of the book so far).

• The White Orc
  • Radagast the Brown (we know he's mentioned, but not a part of the story?)
  • The meeting with Sauramon, Elrond, Gandalf and Galadriel
  • The Eagles
  • The context of the Necromancer (Gandalf mentions him when speaking to the Dwarves, that he's fought him, but he seems clueless in the film)

* The white orc, Azog, is mentioned in the book, but he's not really part of the story (his son, Bolg, is however part of the story).
* Radagast isn't mentioned in The Hobbit, but appears in The Lord of the Rings (and Unfinished Tales).
* The eagles do appear in The Hobbit, although the reason why they come to the aid of Gandalf and company is somewhat different.
* The meeting of the White Council isn't mentioned in The Hobbit, but it is referred to in the LotR appendices
* I'm not quite sure what you're thinking of here. At the time of the Hobbit the White Council was aware of the Necromancer in Dol Guldur, but they didn't know for sure exactly what or who he was.

Danis

Neo Member
* I'm not quite sure what you're thinking of here. At the time of the Hobbit the White Council was aware of the Necromancer in Dol Guldur, but they didn't know for sure exactly what or who he was.

In the book, I remember Gandalf mentioning he had fought the Necromancer, and he was a foe beyond the party of even an army. Or something like that. Where in the film, Gandalf seems clueless that he existed, even doubting a fellow wizard until the sword is produced.

Combichristoffersen

In the book, I remember Gandalf mentioning he had fought the Necromancer, and he was a foe beyond the party of even an army. Or something like that. Where in the film, Gandalf seems clueless that he existed, even doubting a fellow wizard until the sword is produced.

I can't find the specific quote you're referring to, but I looked it up, and you're right. Gandalf realized the Necromancer was Sauron when he found Thrain II in the dungeons in Dol Guldur and was given the Key of the Lonely Mountain. I guess they may have dropped that part for the film to make it seem like the White Council was unaware of who the Necromancer was.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Fellow Tolkien buffs, what do you say to this; the 14 Valar in incarnate form versus Sauron's army including the Nazgul and Sauron himself.

Who would triumph

Take into account that the Valar haven't squandered their might and can take any form.

Sauron's army includes those from the South and East.

Edmond Dantès;45899230 said:
Fellow Tolkien buffs, what do you say to this; the 14 Valar in incarnate form versus Sauron's army including the Nazgul and Sauron himself.

Who would triumph

Take into account that the Valar haven't squandered their might and can take any form.

Does Batman have time to prepare?

Watevaman

I don't know enough to answer but aren't some of the Valar powerful in their respective environments? Like would Ulmo be able to do anything meaningful if he wasn't near a body of water?

Even with my limited knowledge, I'd still have to say the Valar. I'm sure they'd find a way to make quick work of the armies and then the more powerful of Sauron's forces would be dealt with.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I don't know enough to answer but aren't some of the Valar powerful in their respective environments? Like would Ulmo be able to do anything meaningful if he wasn't near a body of water?

Even with my limited knowledge, I'd still have to say the Valar. I'm sure they'd find a way to make quick work of the armies and then the more powerful of Sauron's forces would be dealt with.
They created their respective environments at the dawn of time and could manipulate them as they pleased.

Watevaman

Edmond Dantès;45901682 said:
They created their respective environments at the dawn of time and could manipulate them as they pleased.

That further cements my idea that the Valar would win.

I mean, in terms of the forces of Sauron, Ulmo could manipulate water and drown them? The others could change the lay of the land and everything, as didn't they literally raise the Pelori?

What can Sauron do against that? He's just one against 14 and I don't think the Nazgul have any powers close to that either, correct?

Combichristoffersen

I mean, in terms of the forces of Sauron, Ulmo could manipulate water and drown them? The others could change the lay of the land and everything, as didn't they literally raise the Pelori?

What can Sauron do against that? He's just one against 14 and I don't think the Nazgul have any powers close to that either, correct?

Summon the Goddamn Batman.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

Correct.

Who would triumph

Lol yeah that's not even a fight really. The Valar would humiliate Sauron's forces.

Loxley

I'm definitely going to side with the Valar on this one. Maybe simply because I'm a fan of Ulmo and Aulë and I love the thought of them fighting an entire army alone, much less with with the other Valar. Tulkas also apparently has an amazing beard, so, take that Sauron.

Just came back from the 2nd time, the 48 frames version of the movie and HOLY SHIT!!

This is like the jump from 480p to full High Definition - the image clarity and 3D effect IS AMAZING.

xenist

Who would triumph

It would be over in 30 seconds. Sauron along with his armies would be a distant memory and there would be a hole where the battleground was. If Tulkas decided to kill everyone himself and told everyone else to chill it could draw out a bit longer.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Pretty unanimous then.

The only thing that could turn the tide is if Melkor himself returned from the void earlier than prophesied. A fully recharged Melkor no less.

One must remember that Melkor before he squandered his great might was capable of battling the 13 Valar single-handedly, before Tulkas was sent. Melkor would also be able unite the remaining dragons and even find a missing Balrog and who knows what he would have brought with him from the void. Other Ainu who shared his cause?

It's a shame Tolkien never had time to write a detailed account of the Final War and the breaking of Arda and the Weaving of the Second Arda, the Kingdom of Heaven.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
This conversation reminds me of Warhammer 40K fluff wars. I like it. I had such fun with these.
Can you imagine Tolkien thinking about this.

What was going through his head when thinking about the Final prophecy. Who would feature, how large the armies would be, how much power Melkor had regained, if Sauron was to be involved, if the Dragons were to be resurrected and whether it would end in favour of Melkor or Eru etc.

Edmond, you asked me a long time ago when I decided to finally read the LotR books whether I preferred Dumas or Tolkien's writing style.

I can tell you unequivocally that I prefer Dumas'.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Edmond, you asked me a long time ago when I decided to finally read the LotR books whether I preferred Dumas or Tolkien's writing style.

I can tell you unequivocally that I prefer Dumas'.
I'm of the same opinion, but Dumas' characters inhabit the real world and are woven around real historical situations, especially the d'Artagnan Romances, Tolkien's characters inhabit a created history for our world which has my love.

Loxley

I'll completely admit that my appreciation for Tolkien's writing did not come quickly or easily. It wasn't until Return of the King's looming theatrical release that I actually decided to try and read the books. At first I would go so far as to say I borderline-hated Tolkien's style, and nearly every page felt like a slog. So I sort of just gave up on trying to read them for a while.

It wasn't until around 2005/2006 that I decided to give the books another shot. I don't know what changed, but this time I was completely enthralled. I sped through The Lord of the Rings in about two months (which is pretty fast for me). After that, a friend recommended that I read The Silmarillion, it took me a good four months to finish it. It didn't grab me the same way LotR did, but I thought it was great by the end (especially Akallabêth).

I read The Histories and Unfinished Tales in bursts my freshman year of college. The Hobbit was actually the last bit of Tolkien's Middle Earth Legendarium that I ended up reading (never read it as a kid) so I felt like I had come full circle.

Watevaman

I'm only 30 or so pages into the Silmarillion (I'm a slow reader), and while his writing style is hard to get used to, I do appreciate the consistency and thoroughness that comes with it.

Saw this last week in HFR 3D. Wasn't a huge LotR fan but thought they were okay.

Absolutely loved this one. Once they leave The Shire, I was enthralled. Didn't feel long to me at all.

Artadius

Edmond Dantès;45906477 said:
Can you imagine Tolkien thinking about this.

What was going through his head when thinking about the Final prophecy. Who would feature, how large the armies would be, how much power Melkor had regained, if Sauron was to be involved, if the Dragons were to be resurrected and whether it would end in favour of Melkor or Eru etc.

This makes me wish the lore and all the canon that goes along with it could move forward and continue to be developed. With the death of JRRT and his son's (and the estate's) reluctance to do much of anything with the world moving forward (and is too busy obsessing over how the Hobbit and LotR storylines are being depicted), I feel like we'll never get to see what could have been.

I feel like there's alot that could be done with the Fourth Age of Middle Earth. There's so much unanswered stuff. What happened to the Blue Wizards? What of all the rest of world beyond what is as we know Middle Earth. Some of the old pen and paper RPGs for Middle Earth Role Playing briefly touched on the wilds to the east and south of what we know as Middle Earth and it was usually described as savage lands. So much potential.

Loxley

This makes me wish the lore and all the canon that goes along with it could move forward and continue to be developed. With the death of JRRT and his son's (and the estate's) reluctance to do much of anything with the world moving forward (and is too busy obsessing over how the Hobbit and LotR storylines are being depicted), I feel like we'll never get to see what could have been.

I feel like there's alot that could be done with the Fourth Age of Middle Earth. There's so much unanswered stuff. What happened to the Blue Wizards? What of all the rest of world beyond what is as we know Middle Earth. Some of the old pen and paper RPGs for Middle Earth Role Playing briefly touched on the wilds to the east and south of what we know as Middle Earth and it was usually described as savage lands. So much potential.

Just be glad that things didn't go to the complete opposite end of the spectrum, otherwise we'd end up with something to the equivalent of the Expanded Universe for Star Wars. That's what you get when you allow too many hands in the same cookie jar.

Oh, the horror.

Loxley

James McAvoy would love to play a young Gandalf in an adaption of The Silmarillion.

I'm pretty hazy on how exactly Gandalf/Olórin ended up in the form of an old man when he came to Mithlond (didn't he just choose it?), so I don't think de-aging him would make a ton of sense. But hey, I like McAvoy a lot, so he's got my vote one way or another (even though I'm pretty sure he was just joking).

Man, seems like yesterday that we were speculating that McAvoy might be in the running to play Bilbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom