• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
James McAvoy would love to play a young Gandalf in an adaption of The Silmarillion.

I'm pretty hazy on how exactly Gandalf/Olórin ended up in the form of an old man when he came to Mithlond (didn't he just choose it?), so I don't think de-aging him would make a ton of sense. But hey, I like McAvoy a lot, so he's got my vote one way or another even though I'm pretty sure he was just joking.

Man, seems like yesterday that we were speculating that McAvoy might be in the running to play Bilbo.

If only such an adaptation were even possible...

Loxley

Tell me about it :( I'm staying optimistic that at some point in my life the Silmarillion will be adapted. Hopefully in the form of an HBO mini-series.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
James McAvoy would love to play a young Gandalf in an adaption of The Silmarillion.

I'm pretty hazy on how exactly Gandalf/Olórin ended up in the form of an old man when he came to Mithlond (didn't he just choose it?), so I don't think de-aging him would make a ton of sense. But hey, I like McAvoy a lot, so he's got my vote one way or another (even though I'm pretty sure he was just joking).

Man, seems like yesterday that we were speculating that McAvoy might be in the running to play Bilbo.
Don't see how that could happen considering Olorin takes no part in the happenings of the First Age. But he could be shoehorned in to give audiences a familiar character to follow. Galadriel too.

xenist

Edmond Dantès;46143904 said:
Don't see how that could happen considering Olorin takes no part in the happenings of the First Age. But he could be shoehorned in to give audiences a familiar character to follow. Galadriel too.

Silmarillion is never going to happen. Until there's a generation change at the Tolkien estate it is improbable to the point of impossibility.

And young Gandalf? There is no such a thing. To quote the internet, it's not his true form. He wouldn't hang around Valinor as an old dude. Galadriel could be a thing. She played a part at the Kin-slaying at Alqualonde. She and her people refused to join in and therefore were able to escape the Doom of Feanor and eventually go to the West.

Dmax3901

Saw the HFR/3D version for the first time yesterday.

Blew me away. Was like seeing it for the first time all over again.

I still had a bit of a headache at the end, so that idea wasn't true for me at least.

My big surprise was how little time it took me to adjust. I at first thought I was in the wrong cinema cause I couldn't notice it, then I did notice it (I believe when Bilbo put something in a chest) but there was no jarring, no awkward period of adjustment, certainly nothing as long as half an hour, and no nausea.

The sweeping camera movements through tunnels and over mountain are breath taking in the higher frame rate, as are the fast-paced, frenetically cut scenes such as the trolls and goblin town.

So happy to be back in that place I was over ten years ago. Having a Lord of the Rings movie to love and to look forward to the next two, and of course getting to speculate with all of you in the meantime :)

Silmarillion is never going to happen. Until there's a generation change at the Tolkien estate it is improbable to the point of impossibility.

And young Gandalf? There is no such a thing. To quote the internet, it's not his true form. He wouldn't hang around Valinor as an old dude. Galadriel could be a thing. She played a part at the Kin-slaying at Alqualonde. She and her people refused to join in and therefore were able to escape the Doom of Feanor and eventually go to the West.

She also told Melian about the kinslaying thus leading to Thingol (Re-reading the Silmarillion atm and have to see he has to be the least likeable of all the "bad ass" elves, even Celegorm) banning the Noldor from Doriath. Twould be quite easy to fit her in!

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;46143904 said:

I really need to go back and read The Silmarillion. It's been so long that I'm starting to straight-up forget what was actually included versus the Histories and Unfinished Tales.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why are people saying it would be impossible? Some sort of rights issue? Why did PJ managed to do LOTR and The Hobbit?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Why are people saying it would be impossible? Some sort of rights issue? Why did PJ managed to do LOTR and The Hobbit?
The rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings belong to Middle-earth Enterprises a division of the Saul Zaentz Company, who licence the two I.P's to Warner Bros currently.

The rights to Tolkien's other writings including The Silmarillion belong to the Tolkien Estate. The executor of the Estate is Christopher Tolkien who is very protective of his father's work. He has made it clear that the rights to The Silmarillion will not be sold. His sister is of the same opinion and most of Tolkien's grandchildren.

The only real hope is a change of heart from one of the younger Tolkien's or public domain which in the UK is 70 years after an author's death.

Loxley

Right on time:

Concerning Christopher – An Essay on Tolkien’s Son’s Decision to Not Allow Further Cinematic Licensing of His Work - via theOneRing.net

Often, when a lengthy discussion of the Hobbit films takes place, someone asks “What about the other books? What about material from The Silmarillion, or Unfinished Tales? Will these be adapted to the big screen?”

The answer to this question is a simple one. As it stands, the literary executor of J.R.R. Tolkien’s work, his son, Christopher Tolkien, has refused to consider any further licensing of his father’s work for cinematic purposes.

Many fans are quite frustrated by this state of affairs. They know there is interesting material contained in these other sources, such as the well-known “Quest for Erebor.” That one short work alone would illuminate in key ways the motivations and decisions of principal characters in the films. (For the curious, the Quest for Erebor may be found in a shortened form in “Unfinished Tales”, and in a fuller form in the revised edition of Douglas Anderson’s “Annotated Hobbit.”)

None of this material is available to Peter Jackson’s production crew. Indeed, they must be quite careful to avoid any reference to these works, lest they are accused of using material that is beyond their access. One could even consider Gandalf’s scripted comment concerning the names of the two blue wizards as a nod to this ‘forbidden knowledge’ – in the film, Gandalf says their names are lost to him, when Tolkien knew the answers, and provided them in Unfinished Tales (Alatar and Pallando).

Movie buffs want to see the best possible Hobbit films, and they feel this untouchable material would have been valuable to the production. Further, they wish to one day experience part or all of The Silmarillion on the silver screen. In their eyes, this could all happen if Christopher Tolkien would just let up, and sell the rights.

Of course, wishes aren’t horses in the world of intellectual property and copyright law. Christopher is the literary executor, and his decision stands. We have no legal right to complain.

The whole article is a great read.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Lovely photo of two.

070_JRR_and_Christopher_Tolkien_1928.jpg

Loxley

I've thought on-and-off about what Christopher Tolkien said in that interview with the French publication last year about his father's works becoming a monster of commercialization as a result of the films popularity, and they've lost all of their meaning as result. I compare it to one of my favorite books that, to date, has received no film adaption because it's writer was adamant about Hollywood never getting it's grubby hands on the property; Catcher in the Rye.

J.D. Salinger was so salty about how film execs treated the film adaption of his short story "Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut" (the movie was panned by critics) that he flat-out refused to sell the film rights to his most popular creation. He even turned down the likes of Steven Spielberg and Harvey Weinstein who both expressed interest in adapting it.

Like Christopher Tolkien, Salinger's son, Matt Salinger (Captain America) has always been very protective of his father's works. Some were thinking that, once J.D. Salinger died, maybe a film adaption of Catcher in the Rye would be possible. He died two years ago (at age 91) and there's no sign of a film adaption in sight largely due to Matt Salinger respecting his father's wishes.

I wonder, if a good adaption of Catcher in the Rye did happen, would it end up souring the literary reputation of the book itself? I completely disagree with Chris Tolkien's notion that The Lord of the Rings means practically nothing because it has entered pop culture (although I feel like you could argue that it did as far back as the 60's and 70's, at least in the United States).

There are actually a surprising number of similarities between Tolkien and Salinger. Both were put-off by the fame and lime-light that their most popular works brought them and - as a result - tried to live very private lives, with Salinger more than succeeding at this. I think there are, maybe, four or five known photos to exist of Salinger between the 1960's and the 2000's. Both served in World Wars - Tolkien in the trenches of WWI, Salinger in Counter-Intelligence during WW2 - and were greatly affected by what they saw (Salinger had well-documented PTSD). Both spoke multiple languages, and at varying points in their careers, hesitantly sold the films rights to some of their works for the sake of financial security.

And of course, both are considered to be two of the most important writers of the 20th century and have heirs that are staunch protectors of their works.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I've thought on-and-off about what Christopher Tolkien said in that interview with the French publication last year about his father's works becoming a monster of commercialization as a result of the films popularity, and they've lost all of their meaning as result. I compare it to one of my favorite books that, to date, has received no film adaption because it's writer was adamant about Hollywood never getting it's grubby hands on the property; Catcher in the Rye.

J.D. Salinger was so salty about how film execs treated the film adaption of his short story "Uncle Wiggly in Connecticut" (the movie was panned by critics) that he flat-out refused to sell the film rights to his most popular creation. He even turned down the likes of Steven Spielberg and Harvey Weinstein who both expressed interest in adapting it.

Like Christopher Tolkien, Salinger's son, Matt Salinger (Captain America) has always been very protective of his father's works. Some were thinking that, once J.D. Salinger died, maybe a film adaption of Catcher in the Rye would be possible. He died two years ago (at age 91) and there's no sign of a film adaption in sight largely due to Matt Salinger respecting his father's wishes.

I wonder, if a good adaption of Catcher in the Rye did happen, would it end up souring the literary reputation of the book itself? I completely disagree with Chris Tolkien's notion that The Lord of the Rings means practically nothing because it has entered pop culture (although I feel like you could argue that it did as far back as the 60's and 70's, at least in the United States).

There are actually a surprising number of similarities between Tolkien and Salinger. Both were put-off by the fame and lime-light that their most popular works brought them and - as a result - tried to live very private lives, with Salinger more than succeeding at this. I think there are, maybe, four or five known photos to exist of Salinger between the 1960's and the 2000's. Both served in World Wars - Tolkien in the trenches of WWI, Salinger in Counter-Intelligence during WW2 - and were greatly affected by what they saw (Salinger had well-documented PTSD). Both spoke multiple languages, and varying points in their careers, hesitantly sold the films rights to some of their creations for the sake of financial security.

And of course, both are considered to be two of the most important writers of the 20th century and have heirs that are staunch protectors of their works.
That is a fantastic well thought out comparison.

I'd also mention T. E Lawrence's brother who was also very dismissive of the script of Lawrence of Arabia. This actually led to the film's name. It was originally to called The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, but Lawrence's brother barred them from using that title so they went with the more generic title. It worked out quite well in the end.

RPGCrazied

Saw the movie, holy hell its good. I want to say I like it more than the Fellowship. I still have to get the original trilogy on bluray. Still have those DVD's.

Ixion

It was the LOTR films that made me read the books, including LOTR, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, and The Children of Hurin. Now I have a great interest in Tolkien's works, as well as the films.

I think Christopher needs to consider that, especially since the LOTR films resulted in millions of book purchases.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Great article. I read it as "Christopher Tolkien is an asshole. But let's look at it scientifically so we can better justify feeling like he's an asshole."

Given the "Tolkien can't write. I fell asleep trying to read the Hobbit" and "Jackson changed everything for the better." stuff that the film fans tend to spew, I can't blame Christopher at all.

Add to that the doof wanting to play a "Young Gandalf" in a miniseries... Chris better live forever.

Loxley

Since we're now in Desolation of Smaug hype-mode, here are two official images we've gotten from it so far:

Bilbo in Mirkwood:

hobbitset22copy.jpg

Bilbo in...oh, you know full-well where he is:

hbt2044512r.jpg

If the second photo is a tad too spoilerific, I'll remove it. I don't think it's too egregious though.

Ahhhh! Those shots of Bilbo!!! The coins in the second one are fucking huuuuuge~

UGH! A YEAR?! I... find it strange to be waiting for another trilogy of movies again after so long. It's exciting, but oh so long :( Time to start tiptoeing around spoilers again, I suppose.

I'm going to have a dream at some point in the next year where all those coins are filled with chocolate.

I only see that dream ending in tears, assuming there is a fire-breathing dragon sleeping on (in?) the horde with his big, warm, chocolate-melting body. Or be quite the surprise for Thorin & Company!

Curse you, Smaug!! /sob

Dmax3901

Read up on the history of the Nazgul and it seems that in the books the Witch King of Angmar doesn't die after the fall of his kingdom but instead retreats to Mordor with his hooded buddies to retake Minas Ithil (Minas Morgul before it was drenched in evil).

This means that the magically-sealed tomb they mention in AUJ (where the morgul blade should've been) never existed as at no point did they have a body to seal away.

Interesting.

Loxley

Read up on the history of the Nazgul and it seems that in the books the Witch King of Angmar doesn't die after the fall of his kingdom but instead retreats to Mordor with his hooded buddies to retake Minas Ithil (Minas Morgul before it was drenched in evil).

This means that the magically-sealed tomb they mention in AUJ (where the morgul blade should've been) never existed as at no point did they have a body to seal away.

Interesting.

Yep, they changed his backstory. It also kind of screws with Glorfindel's foresight that "he will not fall by the hand of man" which Return of the King mentioned when it's explained in AUJ that men, in fact, killed him.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

Interesting.
That'll be revised majorly with Tauriel taking
Glorfindel's place and making his prophecy.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;46186604 said:
That'll be revised majorly with Tauriel taking
Glorfindel's place and making his prophecy.

I'm growing even more curious about the Necromancer sub-plot over the the next two films. Of course it's straying grossly from the source material, but if Jackson, Boyens and Walsh have found a way for it to make sense within the context of the films, then great.

xenist

I'm growing even more curious about the Necromancer sub-plot over the the next two films. Of course it's straying grossly from the source material, but if Jackson, Boyens and Walsh have found a way for it to make sense within the context of the films, then great.

Spoilers for people who haven't read the books.

This is how I see this play according to the appendices: Seeing the actual state Mirkwood is in is what makes Gandalf ditch the group. He goes to investigate Dol Guldur. He finds some proof that whatever is there needs to be dealt with. He reconvenes the White Council and persuades them to take action. They attack Dol Guldur in full force, destroy it but they're too late since the Necromancer is already gone.

Dmax3901

More spoilers from the books.

Is it safe to assume then, that in the film version Gandalf didn't get the key/map by visiting Thrain in the dungeons of Dol Guldur?

Loxley

Is it safe to assume then, that in the film version Gandalf didn't get the key/map by visiting Thrain in the dungeons of Dol Guldur?

The very first trailer for AUJ, as well as the footage showed at Cinemacon last year, both indicate that Gandalf encounters...someone while at Dol Goldur. The assumption at this point is that it's Thrain.

Lach

This is a bit of a mistery to me. In Trailer we saw Gandalf in Dol Guldur. But the conversation between Radagast and Gandalf made it clear that Gandalf hadn't been in Dol Guldur lately and wasn't aware of the Necromancer.

Loxley

The fact that Stephen Fucking Fry is writting the Dambusters remake with Jackson gives me an erection.

I've been wondering what Jackson's next project might be once all of this Hobbit business is said and done, looks like we may have an inkling :)

*edit - Just did a little more research and apparently Jackson has been working on this thing since 2008. Weta have already begun production on some scale-models of the planes, awesome. After Red Tails ended up being a massive turd, I've been yearning for a great Air Corps./RAF WW2-era film.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I've been wondering what Jackson's next project might be once all of this Hobbit business is said and done, looks like we may have an inkling :)

*edit - Just did a little more research and apparently Jackson has been working on this thing since 2008. Weta have already begun production on some scale-models of the planes, awesome. After Red Tails ended up being a massive turd, I've been yearning for a great Air Force/RAF WW2-era film.
Personally, I want more dragon action from him with the Temeraire adaptation.

temeraire.jpg

xenist

After the Hobbit is done and if Dambusters is next I want Jackson to go back to his roots. I want more Dead Alive dammit. And Bad Taste.

Lach

I wonder how they'll
introduce Bolg as the leader of the Orc/Goblin Army. Wouldn't that mean that Azog has to be killed at some point leading up to it? I don't see many possibilities for that before they get to the mountain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom