• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I wonder how they'll
introduce Bolg as the leader of the Orc/Goblin Army. Wouldn't that mean that Azog has to be killed at some point leading up to it? I don't see many possibilities for that before they get to the mountain.
I suspect
Beorn
will be involved somehow.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Desolation of Smaug fan made poster

The-Hobbit-The-Desolation-of-Smaug-poster.jpg

I wonder if Saruman or Radagast still has a part to play. I have been thinking:
I really don't remember the novel but in the animated movie that bird tells Bard the weak spot of Smaug. If that is how it went in the novel too I really believe Radagast will be the one that will inform Bard by proxy cause I think they don't want other characters besides wizards talking to normal animals.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I wonder if Saruman or Radagast still has a part to play. I have been thinking:
I really don't remember the novel but in the animated movie that bird tells Bard the weak spot of Smaug. If that is how it went in the novel too I really believe Radagast will be the one that will inform Bard by proxy cause I think they don't want other characters besides wizards talking to normal animals.

They're going to be a part of the Necromancer story line.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I wonder if Ian Holm will introduce films 2 and 3, for some reason I am assuming he will.

Loxley

Oh, quick update on my Tolkien thread, still coming :) It was just pushed back a bit because I had a big move to organize and get out of the way the last week and a half.

Sorry if it has been answered before but will
Smaug
actually speak? His encounter with
Bilbo
is so iconic in the book. Also, what of the talking
ravens
? Tolkien uses the talking of the animals in a way that is essential to move the story forward, so I wonder how the film makers have dealt with it.

Sorry if it has been answered before but will
Smaug
actually speak? His encounter with
Bilbo
is so iconic in the book. Also, what of the talking
ravens
? Tolkien uses the talking of the animals in a way that is essential to move the story forward, so I wonder how the film makers have dealt with it.

No point casting someone in that role without it being a speaking part. The actor involved doesn't do mocap so he's been chosen for a performance.

Oh, quick update on my Tolkien thread, still coming :) It was just pushed back a bit because I had a big move to organize and get out of the way the last week and a half.

Yay!! I can't wait :) I'm trying to convince my friend to sign up so she can participate without having to use me as a conduit, haha

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Every time I see this thread bumped, I assume a poster or image of Smaug has been released ;_;

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I wouldn't count on seeing anything officially related to Smaug until summer at the earliest, Jackson wants him to be kept an absolute secret.
We should get some kind of media before then right? It is out in less then a year, I just want a trailer or something.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I've already come to the conclusion that Smaug's appearance will likely be spoiled by some LEGO merchandise leak in September/October :/
Mr Balrog was kept under wraps quite well, granted there wasn't the marketing blitz we're now associated with, but still. Take Beorn for example, we've seen one still of him and that was a controlled leak.

Edmond Dantès;46680683 said:
Mr Balrog was kept under wraps quite well, granted there wasn't the marketing blitz we're now associated with, but still. Take Beorn for example, we've seen one still of him and that was a controlled leak.

Genuinely curious: how do they do so well with keeping that kind of thing a secret/surprise, but then go and blow the Two Towers poster with Gandalf?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Genuinely curious: how do they do so well with keeping that kind of thing a secret/surprise, but then go and blow the Two Towers poster with Gandalf?
I guess they wanted to draw people in considering Gandalf's popularity. It was a balance between spoiling part of the book for some of the audience or intriguing people with his image.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;46713462 said:
How many of these scenes could be integrated into new extended cuts of The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca123C7631U

I remember a lot of those shots from the trailers. I really wish we could see the two RotK epilogue scenes that Jackson filmed showing Legolas in Mirkwood and Gimli ispecting that jewel.

Was he a leftover design of Del Toro?

According to the art book, the idea and design was all from Jackson:

"Peter had picked out this one Goblin that he liked the look of to be the Great Goblin's royal scribe, but he wanted to see him with tiny shriveled legs. The resulting design is my favourite and I was so glad that Peter liked him. I invented this story in my head that perhaps he was the Great Goblin's son from some marriage he'd prefer to forget, so he gave him an administration job away from the throne. It's the kind of thing that runs through your mind when you're preoccupied with Goblins for weeks and weeks."

- Andrew Baker, Weta Workshop Designer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom