• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkgoo

Been catching up on the last two production videos.

So awesome.

I've been to many go the areas around the locations, not necessarily at the exact location (some of them are pretty wild), and it's always amazing to see how painstakingly beautiful some of the scenes are.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;36258975 said:
I can feel another Oscar win in the near future for Howard.

Wouldn't shock me at all, despite the fact that we've really only heard one track so far (the Misty Mountains piece from the Hobbit trailer).

It can be easy for me to get very hyperbolic and cheesy when talking about Shore's LotR score because of how much I love it, but man, he really did give a voice to Middle Earth. It's a special talent when a composer can make the setting feel like a character itself, which I think he did amazingly well.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Most of the great composers find a world/setting/ theme that really brings out their inherent talent and Middle-Earth really was the one for Howard. He had composed some good scores before, but he reached a whole new level of excellence with the trilogy.

Long may it continue with The Hobbit.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris

Raist

Banned
Edmond Dantès;36064675 said:
It's a good compromise.

No it's not. That pub has been around for ages and these fucking hollywood producers do not own Tolkien's work.
The only good compromise would be "we're sorry, that was very silly of us. We'll take the whole cast to celebrate the release of the movie with a few drinks in your fine establishment."

Loxley

No it's not. That pub has been around for ages and these fucking hollywood producers do not own Tolkien's work.
The only good compromise would be "we're sorry, that was very silly of us. We'll take the whole cast to celebrate the release of the movie with a few drinks in your fine establishment."

Actually, they kind of do:

“Middle-earth Enterprises owns exclusive worldwide rights to motion picture, merchandising, stage and other rights in certain literary works of J.R.R. Tolkien including The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. We have produced and licensed films, stage productions and merchandise based on these Tolkien works for more than thirty-five years.”

They bought the rights in 1976, not for the books or anything, but essentially the multi-media versions of The Hobbit and LotR as well as the use of the names outside of the books. I completely agree it's still a dick move on their part, but from a legal standpoint they do have a case for this pub not paying any sort of licensing fees for using the name.

Suairyu

Banned
How long until the copyright on Tolkien's work expires completely and it enters public domain?

Because seriously, Tolkien created LOTR and The Hobbit to be an artificial myth for Britain. Not letting people call a pub The Hobbit is a fucking travesty.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
How long until the copyright on Tolkien's work expires completely and it enters public domain?

Because seriously, Tolkien created LOTR and The Hobbit to be an artificial myth for Britain. Not letting people call a pub The Hobbit is a fucking travesty.
Hobbit: 2032.
LOTR: Around 2050
Silmarillion: An amalgamation of J.R.R Tolkien and Christopher Tolkien's work so it gets a bit complicated with the whole 75 years after the author's death rule.

Loxley

Here are the first spy-photos of what is possibly the Dale set from a German LotR fan-site (more images at the link):

Here's a translation of the description to go with the images (from theonering.net):

As already reported in January, Peter Jackson’s production company 3 Foot 7 Ltd. has rented a 76 acre site on the edge of Wellington, for eight weeks, to shoot scenes for The Hobbit. It was unknown what exactly would be built there – until now! We have the first, exclusive photos from the elaborate set of the town of Dale!

These photos, which come from an anonymous source and were taken in the middle of February, show the structure of Dale, seemingly before the devastating attack of the dragon Smaug. The land on the point of the Miramar Peninsula actually belongs to the New Zealand Ministry of Defense, but for many years it has not been used for military purposes. The location is ideal for Peter Jackson and his crew, because it is surrounded by countryside but is only about five minutes by car from Weta Workshop and Stone Street Studios.

According to the City of Wellington, approximately 60 shipping containers were brought to the site, as a support for the roughly nine meter high set. This month the shoot (totalling eight weeks) should begin. According to the city council, during this time approx. 600 film crew will be working on the site daily, from 4am to 10pm. In addition, each day about 500 vehicles will be driving to the set. Following the application to the city, the area’s residents (Akaroa Drive and Maupuia Road) were informed via email as to what would be happening.

Loxley

This whole Hobbit pub story just keeps getting more and more bizarre....

Word has reached us on the latest happenings with regard to The Hobbit pub in England. Officials from the Saul Zaentz Company visited the pub a week ago, to ‘assess the situation’; presumably to check exactly what references to The Hobbit - apart from the pub name – there are at the venue, which the SZC claims is breaking licensing laws. Now, in a totally unexpected turn of events, we hear that the SZC have put in an offer to buy the pub and take over management. ‘We just fell in love with the place,’ a representative told us. ‘As we own the rights to the name, it seems right that we should own the pub itself. It would certainly be a solution to the current copyright infringement. Our intention is to use it in our advertising campaign for the movies. We plan to ship the pub and all interior fittings to LA … We hope to have it up and running there in time for the opening of the first Hobbit movie at the end of the year.’

Shipping a building, brick by brick, is certainly costly but not unheard of. The most famous such occurrence was of course the shipping of London Bridge, in 1962, via boat to California and thence to Arizona. There’s no word as yet to the exact location intended for the relocated Hobbit pub; TORn is keeping an eye on events in the hope that it might be a possible location for Oscar happenings next Spring! Meanwhile, we have yet to see how the current owner – and supportive regulars – will respond to this purchase offer. It seems unlikely that they would let their beloved local go without a fight. As ever, we’ll bring you the latest as we hear it!

Loxley

Shipping a pub to another country?! Whaaaat? That's gotta be april fools right? Who would do such a thing?

I can guarantee you this is an April Fool's joke from TheOneRing.net, mostly since no one else is reporting on this ;) Ane yeah...it's a pretty absurd idea.

461378_10150773090491558_141884481557_11833203_1676528812_o.jpg

471769_10150773090531558_141884481557_11833204_130156110_o.jpg

466075_10150773090581558_141884481557_11833205_1601324984_o.jpg

464362_10150773090621558_141884481557_11833206_351979851_o.jpg

474637_10150773090696558_141884481557_11833207_1839917458_o.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Hope we hear a lot of Khuzdul in the two films. It would also be interesting to see a thorough prologue dealing with the dwarven origins with a mention of the Blue Mountains and the two city states of Belegost and Nogrod and the exodus to Khazad-dûm.

The Blue Mountains were still used by the dwarves well into the Third Age and beyond and were very significant to them, but the former magnificence of the mountain range was never recaptured after their ruin during the War of Wrath.

Goddammit. I thought we agreed we wouldn't post anything spoilery unless we used tags. I haven't read the book yet for a reason
and it would have been nice not to know beforehand that he names the sword.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Just happened to be in Oxford today and I paid a visit to Wolvercote Cemetery. I think Tolkien GAF may appreciate these. I left a little a token of respect and appreciation.

VGaqQ.jpg

zzgI4.jpg

bengraven

Goddammit. I thought we agreed we wouldn't post anything spoilery unless we used tags. I haven't read the book yet for a reason
and it would have been nice not to know beforehand that he names the sword.

What was the picture? PM? Or spoiler tag?

Yep. He based Beren and Luthien, who he considered the greatest loves in his entire canon, on one of the first meetings he had with his wife if I remember correctly (need to see the link you posted).

What was the picture? PM? Or spoiler tag?

Yep. He based Beren and Luthien, who he considered the greatest loves in his entire canon, on one of the first meetings he had with his wife if I remember correctly (need to see the link you posted).

He had quoted a line from The Hobbit where
Bilbo names his sword 'Sting.' Something I was unaware had ever actually happened and would have been incredibly cool to see in the movie.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Edmond Dantès;36064675 said:
It's a good compromise.

Yup, they get to protect their legitimate license, so next time somebody else tries something more "offesnive" there's a precedent and they aren't abandoning their responsibility to police this stuff.

Cheebo

Banned
Doesn't Bilbo Tell Frodo about the name Sting in FOTR?

And everyone has to read the hobbit, one of the great novels. As great as PJ is he'll never measure up to Tolkiens near perfect source material.

Cheebo

Banned
To take it a bit back on track....does anyone else also feel The Hobbit is a better novel than The Lord of the Rings?

bengraven

Yesterday seems to have been my day for derailing threads with typos, between this thread and the Tulsa shooting thread.

To take it a bit back on track....does anyone else also feel The Hobbit is a better novel than The Lord of the Rings?

It's definitely tighter and better paced. I would argue that it's a nearly flawless novel, outside of some incongruities that still exist in many editions.

At this point they almost feel like different genres, though, and may be unfair to judge. Like Hobbit is YA fantasy and LOTR is epic adult fantasy.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Do people really like the Hobbits? I might be wrong, but when LOTR was rocking, it seemed to me that most people didn't care much for the Hobbit part of the movie.

Cheebo

Banned
Do people really like the Hobbits? I might be wrong, but when LOTR was rocking, it seemed to me that most people didn't care much for the Hobbit part of the movie.
Eh? The major part of LOTR was about Frodo's adventure. I can't see reading LOTR yet not liking Hobbits.

Edmond Dantès;36741791 said:
Just happened to be in Oxford today and I paid a visit to Wolvercote Cemetery. I think Tolkien GAF may appreciate these. I left a little a token of respect and appreciation.

VGaqQ.jpg

zzgI4.jpg

Lol, I'm about 5 mins away from there right now!

bengraven

The only people who didn't like the Hobbits were assholes, IMHO. I can't think of a better way to put it, to be honest. I want to say "the people who read the books loved the hobbits" but few people I know who didn't read the books hated the hobbits.

The college girls behind me during Fellowship really hated them. "OMG" "like" "FINALLY HE'S DEAD...OMG no, he's like wearing armor or something".

They're so human I can't understand why people would hate them. Hell, my grandparents are all hobbits - just really tall hobbits.

Like Kyle said, they're the heart of the story. You can find an argument that Tolkien's books were mostly about one race. Some people think that since the Elves are the major players for the first few thousand years and helped create the world, and that LOTR is about their dimishment: the books are about the elves. You could say that because the series is about Man becoming the dominant species and the other races need to guide Him, then Man is who they are about.

Few people say the canon is about the Hobbits, but they're the WRITERS of the story. They're the proto-typical Englishman: humble, happy, hungry, living in an idyllic village and being nosy with their neighbors, but they're drafted into a war they didn't want. They're like the embedded reporters of the major events that are going on. The stories are told from their perspective and so they want to bring that adventure and experience back to their people and share it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom