• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Exactly. I was very interested when Del Toro was attached, but I'd be lying if I said that I was elated when Jackson took over as director in his place.

Of course now there will always be the "what if?" question with regards to what kind of movie we would have gotten had Del Toro directed. Hopefully that'll be something they discuss on the inevitable behind-the-scenes featurettes on the DVD/Blu-Ray for The Hobbit. I'd be really curious to see just how "Del Toro-ified" the early visions for the films were versus how much Jackson reigned in (if at all) the art direction when he became director for sake of visual continuity with the LotR films.

Granted, since we saw no pre-production at all from when Del Toro was still attached, for all I know nothing was changed at all. But I have to believe Del Toro - as a director who is known for his own visual style in his films - was definitely going to find a few unique ways of his own to put his stamp on Middle-Earth in some fashion.
Del Toro was supposedly very interested in exploring the Necromancer's
Sauron's
origins in the two films. Peter and co may well do the same, but not to the extent that initially talked about. Del Toro's vision of the secondary antagonist in the narrative would have been very interesting considering the portrayal of some of his own invented villains from previous films.

Case in point:

pans-labyrinth-1.jpg

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I honestly expected this to end up in developmental hell.

I think Peter Jackson just realized in his heart that this property was essentially his responsibility and he just finally gave in.

He was like Frodo with the ring. He went to Council, wanted someone else to take the burden and just go home, but in the end realized he had no choice.

35v63f.jpg

God, just hearing that quote while the dwarf song is playing makes my skin grow goosebumps. It's truly a great time to be a nerd.

I actually completely agree with this analogy & analysis.

KevinCow

Banned
So I'm watching Fellowship of the Ring.

I don't think I've actually seen this movie all the way through since it was in theaters. I don't think I've seen any of them start to finish since they were in theaters. I've seen bits and pieces here and there when they've been on TV, but that's it.

I figured I should probably watch them again before The Hobbit. Saw the blu-rays for $10 each, and figured now was a pretty good time.

...And you know what? I don't know if you guys know this, but this is a goddamn amazing movie.

Oh hey, it's over. Time to put in Two Towers!

I don't think I've actually seen this movie all the way through since it was in theaters. I don't think I've seen any of them start to finish since they were in theaters. I've seen bits and pieces here and there when they've been on TV, but that's it.

I figured I should probably watch them again before The Hobbit. Saw the blu-rays for $10 each, and figured now was a pretty good time.

...And you know what? I don't know if you guys know this, but this is a goddamn amazing movie.

You gotta get those Extended Editions, though! The transfers are about 10x better as well.

Famassu

Has Peter Jackson talked about his planned new Extended Editions of the LOTR Blu-rays? I remember him talking that he'd like to do the EEs properly for Blu-ray (new extras & shit, not just the old DVD ones included). I don't think there'd be new scenes or anything, but it'd kind of be like the Alien Anthology collection released some time ago, like _TEH ULTIMATE LOTR EE TRILOGY_, instead of the minimum effort collection we got now (extras are on DVDs etc.).

Is that still happening or should I just cave in and buy the ones that are out now.

We went to a special screening of The Two Towers Extended Edition here in Christchurch last night. We had a huge screen, no advertisements, a screening of The Hobbit trailer (first time I've seen it on the big screen) and a special recorded intro by Peter Jackson on the set of The Hobbit thanking us for coming and spent about ten mins telling us about making TTT. It was quite a nice night, and strangely personal in contrast to the often corporate and faceless Hollywood machine.

Like Scullibundo said, you have to watch the Extended Editions. The Lotr have been some of my favorite movies since I saw them in theaters and I got all of the extended editions a year or two later. Having watched the theatrical version of Return of the King when it released on blu-ray, I kind of felt that it wasn't that great - by comparison, anyway. The story felt uneven, rushed and packed with too many climaxes without enough padding to give the audience some rest. There really is that much of a difference between the versions. When I watched the extended version afterward, I felt my heartstrings plucked in all of the moments when they should have been, but during the original version they weren't nearly as affecting.

Has Peter Jackson talked about his planned new Extended Editions of the LOTR Blu-rays? I remember him talking that he'd like to do the EEs properly for Blu-ray (new extras & shit, not just the old DVD ones included). I don't think there'd be new scenes or anything, but it'd kind of be like the Alien Anthology collection released some time ago, like _TEH ULTIMATE LOTR EE TRILOGY_, instead of the minimum effort collection we got now (extras are on DVDs etc.).

Is that still happening or should I just cave in and buy the ones that are out now.

I caved in when the set was on sale for $50 a few months ago and I think it was completely worth it. I was planning on waiting for the inevitable super ultimate edition like you, but the increase in quality is so great that I'm completely satisfied even if said edition comes out 2 years from now. I don't think there are any other movies I would be willing to rebuy so many times.

I think their are a few scenes in the extended editions that actually detract from the movies. There is some stuff that i felt should have definitely stayed in though (like the extended stuff with boromir and faramir).

ascii42

I think their are a few scenes in the extended editions that actually detract from the movies. There is some stuff that i felt should have definitely stayed in though (like the extended stuff with boromir and faramir).
The only things from the Extended Editions that I would take out are in RotK. Mostly the scenes that present Gimli as comic relief. Actually, the whole scene where they escape from the cave and there's all those skulls was unnecessary, I think.

Retro

Edmond Dantès;36776983 said:
Del Toro was supposedly very interested in exploring the Necromancer's
Sauron's
origins in the two films.

Mmm... gives me chills just because it would touch on the Silmarillion which honestly has zero chance of being produced any other way. I guess it's better that way, I can't see them living up to my imagination, especially
Melkor and Ungoliant destroying the Two Trees. The Balrogs aiding their master and scourging the Mother of Spiders. The Siege of Angband.

Probably better we don't do that on film.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I wonder if we're getting a prologue in this film.
Eagle-eyed members of The One Ring have spotted what looks like
Thror and his wife
in one of the production videos and the likes of
Azog and Dain
have been cast so the dwarven backstory in particular Thorin's will certainly be explored as well as the
Battle of Azanulbizar
. It may well be in the form of a prologue or the backstory may be explored intermittently throughout the two films via flashbacks from the likes of Thorin, Gandalf and the White Council. Even The Necromancer may chip in as he will have dialogue.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;36783967 said:
Thror and his wife
Azog and Dain
have been cast so the dwarven backstory in particular Thorin's will certainly be explored as well as the
Battle of Azanulbizar
. It may well be in the form of a prologue or the backstory may be explored intermittently throughout the two films via flashbacks from the likes of Thorin, Gandalf and the White Council. Even The Necromancer may chip in as he will have dialogue.

I am quite curious as to what they were filming here (from the very end of the last production video):

It's clearly a dwarf of some kind...and the markers on the helmet indicate some sort of eventual digital enhancements...interesting.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I am quite curious as to what they were filming here (from the very end of the last production video):

It's clearly a dwarf of some kind...and the markers on the helmet indicate some sort of eventual digital enhancements...interesting.

Could well be flaming horns on his battle helmet. I wouldn't put it past the production team to come up with something that adds a unique touch to the dwarves and their armour.

It could also be the production team referencing the Firebeards.

Solo

You gotta get those Extended Editions, though! The transfers are about 10x better as well.

The transfers might be, but the films aren't. Well, I'll give you TTT as a film bettered by the EE, but FOTR and ROTK? Nope. Better in their theatrical cuts. FOTR especially. Best in the trilogy and the best cut of it is the theatrical cut.

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;36783967 said:
Thror and his wife
Azog and Dain
Battle of Azanulbizar

Holy crap @ your second spoiler. That's one of my favorite parts of the appendixes and I'd love to see that conflict done up onscreen.

The transfers might be, but the films aren't. Well, I'll give you TTT as a film bettered by the EE, but FOTR and ROTK? Nope. Better in their theatrical cuts. FOTR especially. Best in the trilogy and the best cut of it is the theatrical cut.

YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR THIS TIME, SOLO.

I think the EE of RotK is definitely better.

As for FotR, I think the EE ruins the introduction to the shire (which is a lot of added nonsense), but that once they leave the Shire, every added scene adds a lot to the film. The background stuff for Boromir and his interactions with Aragorn in Galadriel's domain especially. Also stuff like Sam and Frodo seeing the Elves leaving Middle Earth are really, really nice scenes.

But yes, the EE of FotR butchers the opening of the film by adding something like fifteen minutes of nonsense.

aceface

In the ROTK DVD commentary Jackson talked about how there's still some scenes that weren't in the extended editions, like extra stuff in the ending with Legolas and Gimli going to the gilittering caves. He said that he may someday have to release a super amazing extended edition that has everything..I think he was joking though.

Boromir's background was the sorest spot for me. Those scenes were critical in my eyes. They helped take him from what seemed like a plainly villainous character to one that was a lot more well-rounded, that had good intentions and was truly corrupted by the promise of the Ring. He wanted it for the right reasons, not realizing the power was corrupting him all the same.

The fact that they not only cut that part out but made Aragorn even MORE "perfect" by him turning down the ring in the way he did only made matters worse.

Goddamn, it sucked when people cheered Boromir's death in the theatres :(

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Boromir's background was the sorest spot for me. Those scenes were critical in my eyes. They helped take him from what seemed like a plainly villainous character to one that was a lot more well-rounded, that had good intentions and was truly corrupted by the promise of the Ring. He wanted it for the right reasons, not realizing the power was corrupting him all the same.

The fact that they not only cut that part out but made Aragorn even MORE "perfect" by him turning down the ring in the way he did only made matters worse.

Goddamn, it sucked when people cheered Boromir's death in the theatres :(
Who on earth would cheer after this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcHhlcxUkP4

I'm dead serious. I saw Fellowship 9 times in theatres. It happened on several occasions. :\
They tended to cheer when he got hit with the arrows as opposed to when Aragorn is talking to him after.

I'm dead serious. I saw Fellowship 9 times in theatres. It happened on several occasions. :\
They tended to cheer when he got hit with the arrows as opposed to when Aragorn is talking to him after.

I'm guessing you live in the U.S? I will never understand the cinema audiences there.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I'm thinking of buying the EE versions on BD. If so, it'll be the only movies I have three different versions of (theatrical DVD, EE DVD and BD DVD). And it would still be worth it.

I'm guessing you live in the U.S? I will never understand the cinema audiences there.

Yeah.

Sometimes a rowdy audience can be fun, but here it was just clear that people saw Boromir as a villain as opposed to it being a tragic flaw for an otherwise Good character. They didn't see the Ring corrupting, they just saw a Bad Guy because they didn't get enough backstory to show the kind of situation and pressure he was under.

Its honestly just our culture, and its lack of an ability to deal with things higher than a black and white level. It seems like people over here are usually a little lacking when it comes to complexity of emotions and open thinking. Its frustrating. Of course this doesn't apply to everyone here, but it has been getting worse over recent years. Haha ah well.

That said, when I saw Fellowship nothing like this happened.

Loxley

Its honestly just our culture, and its lack of an ability to deal with things higher than a black and white level. It seems like people over here are usually a little lacking when it comes to complexity of emotions and open thinking. Its frustrating. Of course this doesn't apply to everyone here, but it has been getting worse over recent years. Haha ah well.

That said, when I saw Fellowship nothing like this happened.

Yep, same here. Things like this seem to be isolated incidences. This is not something that happens every time we go the theater :p

Yep, same here. Things like this seem to be isolated incidences. This is not something that happens every time we go the theater :p

It is something that happened quite often when I went to the theatre while living in the U.S. Unless I went somewhere like The Arclight.

I'll chime in to say it doesn't always happen to me either. Could've been because I was often going to a theatre where a lot of other teens were going, and generally teens are the most likely to be loud in my experience. It was a theatre at a popular outdoor mall that I saw it at most of the time.

And sometimes the loud experience is what you go for. I saw Snakes on a Plane at midnight and the audience made it an absolute riot. Same with Grindhouse, where the audience really got into the scenes at appropriate times. Then again Grindhouse style stuff is pretty uniquely American from what I understand anyway.

Yeah.

Sometimes a rowdy audience can be fun, but here it was just clear that people saw Boromir as a villain as opposed to it being a tragic flaw for an otherwise Good character. They didn't see the Ring corrupting, they just saw a Bad Guy because they didn't get enough backstory to show the kind of situation and pressure he was under.

What?

That scene was so awesome and heartbreaking. :(

Dumbasses. Glad I didn't experience that when I saw Fellowship in theaters, would have totally ruined the mood.

What about at the end of each movie, did people clap and cheer then too? They always did here in NZ, maybe it's the "we made this!" attitude, or maybe not.

Do what ever you want at the very end of a movie. I don't care. But yelling at the screen and cheering/clapping in the middle of a film that isn't a comedy pisses me off to no end.

Do what ever you want at the very end of a movie. I don't care. But yelling at the screen and cheering/clapping in the middle of a film that isn't a comedy pisses me off to no end.

Agreed. Only time I saw it happen and it didn't bug me was the "you bitch" scene in HP. Still, its unbelievably distracting and annoying.

I saw Cinderella Man with a crowd that cheered during each fight like it was a real boxing match...made for one of my favorite theater experiences ever.

That said, cheering during Boromir's death would piss me off

bengraven

Wow never head this till now, incredible.

Yeah, it wasn't nearly as popular as Into The West and May It Be. Maybe because it wasn't nominated for best song, or maybe it took too long for the actual song to kick in during the credits. That is a very long intro.

It's my favorite of the three, as I said earlier this week.

Edit: also, was originally going to be Bjork singing this, but she bowed out and suggested Emiliana due to being a fellow Icelander. Apparently not because they have similar voices. ha

Loxley

I was watching one of the behind-the-scenes docks for TT yesterday, and my mind was blown when I saw that Jed Brophy, who plays Nori:

Also played these two orcs in The Two Towers:

I was all like, "Whoa", and stuff.

bengraven

Brophy has been in almost all of Peter's films, playing skinny or ugly monsters and characters. He's one of Jackson's oldest friends.

I think him getting a role as a dwarf was basically his due to finally play a human-looking character and a hero.

Edmond Dantès;36796460 said:
Who on earth would cheer after this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcHhlcxUkP4

Man, that scene has to be one of my favorites out of all the films, if not my favorite. The acting from Bean was top notch. Gives me chills every time.

And a scene that is so much better with just one simple line of dialogue added into the extended edition.

Seriously, who the frak would cheer at that death? It was the most tragic one. I just always felt horrible for Boromir. He wanted to do well and please his father, and save his people. But his will was not strong enough to withstand the Ring.

Ixion

I actually thought The Two Towers was the only film where the new scenes detracted from the movie, mainly because they're mostly slow scenes which results in the pacing being too slow for me.

Actually, I didn't like the comedy relief scenes during the Paths of the Dead either.

Yeah only time I ever recall something like that was the Tumbler chase in Batman Begins, one or two things in Fast Five and the Nightmare on elm street remake and I go to the movies about every week or so.
the nightmare thing actually made it more enjoyable 'bitch don't go in there!!!' 'oh. he dead..' 'behind you!' then those same people jumping and screaming, hilarious

though just about every 'great' movie is applauded at the end.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Very surprised at the EE talk on the last page of this topic. I thought it was consensus that the FOTR EE improved on the theatrical quite a bit, but the EE for Two Towers and RotK were worse than the theatrical cuts.

That's been my stance, anyway. The 15 minutes of Shire stuff Sculli was hating on is one of my favorite parts of the movie :/

FotR > TT > RotK

Fellowship is the only movie of the trilogy that I consider a truly great film. I've watched it over, and over (and over). It just has such a strong spirit of adventure. The sequels are just loud and the split storylines, while not the film's fault, make them less interesting to sit through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom