• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Do people really like the Hobbits? I might be wrong, but when LOTR was rocking, it seemed to me that most people didn't care much for the Hobbit part of the movie.

If by "people" you mean the average movie-goer who saw the movies but haven't read the books, I'd say absolutely. Sure they're not "badass" like Aragorn or Boromir, but as far as the movies go, they made The Hobbits out to be more than just comic-relief by the end of Return of the King, they each had their own individualized moments of being awesome - which I think helped audiences connect with them.

Between Sam fighting Shelob and (seemingly) saving Frodo's life every two minutes, Merry volunteering to to join Rohan's army and stabbing The Witch King to stop him from killing Eowyn, Pippin lighting the beacons of Minus Tirith as well as killing an orc before it stabs Gandalf in the back. And I don't think there was a dry-eye in the place when Pippin sang "Edge of Night" - at least I think that was it's name - during Faramir's charge.

I remember seeing RotK in the theater, during the final battle at the Black Gates, when Aragorn turns to his army and says "For Frodo" and charges at the army of Orcs, remember when Merry and Pippin were the first to charge after him? The audience I was with cheered like crazy (as they did when Sam showed up in Shelob's lair and said "Let him go, you filth.")

I guess my point is that based on my own experiences, audiences definitely cared about the Hobbits :)

Emwitus

To people who have read the books....

LOTR or the hobbit...which one is a better read? No spoiler though, i don't plan on reading them before i see the movie.

I detest anyone cheering, clapping, moaning etc in the cinema. Drives me nuts.

Thankfully Its only ever happened once and it was a tourist who did it. I think they learnt their lesson.

irishcow

LOTR or the hobbit...which one is a better read? No spoiler though, i don't plan on reading them before i see the movie.

The Hobbit is a really quick read. You can finish it in a couple of days. Read it first. Then read LOTR for crying out loud! It is my favorite book of all time. It takes much longer to read than the Hobbit though. The writing style in LOTR is different and takes a little more "effort" to enjoy imo.

bengraven

The Hobbit. Most definitely. You can read it in two days as well.

LOTR is very very dense at times. You won't get an unintelligible lore explosion, but his descriptions can go on forever. It's a beautiful book that's best the second time, but The Hobbit is almost flawless and reads easy enough for a child with enough depth to entertain an adult.

I detest anyone cheering, clapping, moaning etc in the cinema. Drives me nuts.

Thankfully Its only ever happened once and it was a tourist who did it. I think they learnt their lesson.

I had one good moment with clapping and ironically it was Fellowship. Little kid was annoying us by talking through the movie, but got silent around Moria. I was on the end of a side row and he was on the opposite end of the middle row - so I was about 10 feet from him.

During the scene where Aragorn fights the Urak Hai, he started smiling. Then suddenly Aragorn beheads the creature and the kid screams out "YEAHCOOL!" and the entire fucking audience started laughing and clapping for him.

It was pretty charming. :)

Cheebo

Banned
It's kinda depressing seeing how many haven't read The Hobbit. It should be almost a requirement for every 10 year old boy to read it. That book is literally perfect at that 10-12 age set for boys. It really would lose something to read for the first time as an adult, especially after seeing the movie.

I read it in third grade well before any of the movies (other than the animated ones but I had no idea they existed) and it was an amazing experience. I couldn't imagine discovering Middle-Earth by any other means.

You sound like a pleasant person...

Its why I'd never go and see a movie in an American cinema. I hear it is much more commonplace there. It doesn't happen where I am from (except the one time mentioned, and that was a US tourist).

I'm a primary school teacher so I am used to noise, but If I have paid to watch a movie, I want to see and hear everything without people interrupting it. I also eat before I go in so I don't disturb people with noisy food.

bengraven

It's kinda depressing seeing how many haven't read The Hobbit. It should be almost a requirement for every 10 year old boy to read it. That book is literally perfect at that 10-12 age set for boys. It really would lose something to read for the first time as an adult, especially after seeing the movie.

I read it in third grade well before any of the movies (other than the animated ones but I had no idea they existed) and it was an amazing experience. I couldn't imagine discovering Middle-Earth by any other means.

Yep, there are some books you really should read before you're a certain age. I can't say that I did - I read the Hobbit when I was 17 and I loved it. However, I did listen to a record ("vinyl" for the hipsters out there) of the Hobbit movie adaptation when I was 5 and it terrified me. I was so scared of Gollum. ha

But that's why I was openly talking about spoilers at first in this thread months ago, because I assumed everyone had seen it or were reading it.

Zio

Cheebo said:
In America going to the cinema is very much a community experience, especially opening day.

Loud and rude people at movies bother me as much as anyone, but I actually like the energy of an opening night movie like that. How some people can't help but actually cheer for the characters when they appear on screen or after they do something valiant. I think it's what everybody is really feeling, and only then in an opening-night sort of atmosphere people feel comfortable enough to just express it. You can really feel the excitement. It's as if we're watching a play, which is how it should be.

JB1981

If by "people" you mean the average movie-goer who saw the movies but haven't read the books, I'd say absolutely. Sure they're not "badass" like Aragorn or Boromir, but as far as the movies go, they made The Hobbits out to be more than just comic-relief by the end of Return of the King, they each had their own individualized moments of being awesome - which I think helped audiences connect with them.

Between Sam fighting Shelob and (seemingly) saving Frodo's life every two minutes, Merry volunteering to to join Rohan's army and stabbing The Witch King to stop him from killing Eowyn, Pippin lighting the beacons of Minus Tirith as well as killing an orc before it stabs Gandalf in the back. And I don't think there was a dry-eye in the place when Pippin sang "Edge of Night" - at least I think that was it's name - during Faramir's charge.

I remember seeing RotK in the theater, during the final battle at the Black Gates, when Aragorn turns to his army and says "For Frodo" and charges at the army of Orcs, remember when Merry and Pippin were the first to charge after him? The audience I was with cheered like crazy (as they did when Sam showed up in Shelob's lair and said "Let him go, you filth.")

I guess my point is that based on my own experiences, audiences definitely cared about the Hobbits :)

Do not agree at all. Audiences probably cared about Frodo and Sam (Gollum also improved this dynamic) but the main draw was the epic battle scenes, the mythology and the cutting edge special effects. The Edge of Night song probably made people feel uncomfortable more than teary eyed.

Cheebo

Banned
But that's why I was openly talking about spoilers at first in this thread months ago, because I assumed everyone had seen it or were reading it.

The book is one of only 6 novels to ever sell over 100 million copies and is over 70 years old. I mean it'd be like expecting people to spoil tag that Darth Vader is Luke's dad.

Loud and rude people at movies bother me as much as anyone, but I actually like the energy of an opening night movie like that. How some people can't help but actually cheer for the characters when they appear on screen or after they do something valiant. I think it's what everybody is really feeling, and only then in an opening-night sort of atmosphere people feel comfortable enough to just express it. You can really feel the excitement. It's as if we're watching a play, which is how it should be.

I don't know about that. Cinema and the stage are also different beasts to me.

I think all of the cheering/whooping reduces cinema to an almost pantomime-esque level of entertainment, only the actors aren't giving it back to the audience.

Loxley

In America going to the cinema is very much a community experience, especially opening day.

Yep. Not to digress too much, but I saw 300 at it's opening midnight showing with what I have to assume was every single 18-24 year-old male within a 30 mile distance of the theater; there wasn't a single empty seat in the house. It was a fucking riot the whole time, there was uproarious cheering every time I limb was sliced off in slow-motion or some badass line was said (especially the "This is Sparta" line and subsequent kicking of the guy into the well). It's one of the most memorable theater-going experiences I've had to date. It sounds obnoxious, but it was a great time.

I mean, if ever there was a movie to see with room of 200 dudes, it was that. That's partially why I'm completely unable to look at 300 from any sort of objective point of view, because I associate the movie so closely with that awesome experience.

Cheering can be annoying, I agree, but if the whole audience is in on it (combined with the right movie) I've found it can definitely add to my enjoyment of a movie for some weird reason.

Do not agree at all. Audiences probably cared about Frodo and Sam (Gollum also improved this dynamic) but the main draw was the epic battle scenes, the mythology and the cutting edge special effects. The Edge of Night song probably made people feel uncomfortable more than teary eyed.

You're certainly not wrong, to each his own then :)

The book is one of only 6 novels to ever sell over 100 million copies and is over 70 years old. I mean it'd be like expecting people to spoil tag that Darth Vader is Luke's dad.

We agreed in this thread months ago that we would puts tags on spoilers for those (like myself) that were waiting to see the film before reading the book. There are many of us that experienced LotR through the films first and spoiling what happens is a shitty thing to do just because the book is old. Typing the spoiler tags code takes two seconds and means being considerate to fellow posters.

bengraven

We agreed in this thread months ago that we would puts tags on spoilers for those (like myself) that were waiting to see the film before reading the book. There are many of us that experienced LotR through the films first and spoiling what happens is a shitty thing to do just because the book is old. Typing the spoiler tags code takes two seconds and means being considerate to fellow posters.

It's fair. I know lots of people loved the LOTR movies but hadn't read the books and by proxy wouldn't have read The Hobbit. And with a movie with THIS much hype, it's fair.

It would be a different thing were it a low budget indie adaptation of Great Expectations or a Bible story.

I read it years ago. I remember some key events but that's about it.

I don't want to read it again until after the film releases. Oh and "Concerning Hobbits" can literally lift me out of a bad mood.

apana

I agree. I read it but can't remember what happens.

Howard Shore is a genius.

LotR soundtrack is a work of art.

I really really really love this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ9NOV3KNpY

The "Bridge of Khazad Dum" and the "Mirror of Galadriel" are my favorites.

Yeah complete recordings has a lot of the essential stuff that you hear in the films.

Oh and Breaking of the Fellowship is probably my favorite overall track but I'm also growing a soft spot for "Return of the King"

particularly the cue during the "you bow to noone" scene. *tears*

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Yeah complete recordings has a lot of the essential stuff that you hear in the films.

Oh and Breaking of the Fellowship is probably my favorite overall track but I'm also growing a soft spot for "Return of the King"

particularly the cue during the "you bow to noone" scene. *tears*
The fact that the 'Lighting of the Beacons' was omitted from the regular soundtrack is enough reason to buy the complete recordings of ROTK. Not to mention the fact that there's nearly four hours of music in that package.

bengraven

Howard Shore is a genius.

LotR soundtrack is a work of art.

I really really really love this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ9NOV3KNpY

I read it years ago. I remember some key events but that's about it.

I don't want to read it again until after the film releases. Oh and "Concerning Hobbits" can literally lift me out of a bad mood.

I can't imagine LOTR without Shore's music. But back in 1999, it seemed for a while that Wojciech Kilar would be writing the music for LOTR. I'm not sure what happened with that but it would have been interesting to hear what Kilar's take on it would be...

a lot darker tone maybe?

*internet high five*

Kud Dukan

kharma45

Edmond Dantès;36766521 said:
rl]

It's been said before, but I'll just reiterate it; buy the Complete Recordings.

Must do that now, I have the normal ones on disc but have only listened to the complete recordings on Spotify.

Time to rectify that.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;36766521 said:

My favorite part of that track is near the very end when "Into the West" begins to play. Mostly because they overlay with the scene where Gandalf is describing to Pippin what the Grey Havens look like to comfort him. That's actually the second usage of Into the West that I really like, with the other being the more powerful, epic version that plays when same begins to carry Frodo up Mount Doom. Such an amazing song.

*edit - Yeah, here's the scene. Bitter, manly tears. Every time.

The 'credits' songs for the two Hobbit films will be interesting as all three LOTR one's knocked the themes of the movies out of the park.

I really hope they go to down on the extras/making of again. I fear we won't get very many additional scenes for an extended edition because these films seem more planned out and they are already filling in gaps as they go along.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The 'credits' songs for the two Hobbit films will be interesting as all three LOTR one's knocked the themes of the movies out of the park.

I really hope they go to down on the extras/making of again. I fear we won't get very many additional scenes for an extended edition because these films seem more planned out and they are already filling in gaps as they go along.
Wouldn't be surprised if we get male singers for The Hobbit credit songs to reflect the dwarven themes running throughout the narrative.

Still waiting to hear the press release for IMAX that their digital theatres will be playing it at 48fps. Lord know even if they weren't I would see this in a true IMAX theatre for the sole reason that I don't want an intermission in between.

Edmond Dantès;36768307 said:
Wouldn't be surprised if we get male singers for The Hobbit credit songs to reflect the dwarven themes running throughout the narrative.

Yeah, I'm actually expecting one of the films big numbers to be from a tenor. The other one is up in the air because The Hobbit is a tale of adventure. Howard will probably surprise us.

Maybe we'll get a full on male voice choir.

I'm looking forward as to whether we'll get hints of the LOTR score in there. If Peter wants to sort of tie the two sets of films together, Howard might throw in a few themes from LOTR but in a more bare bones form to reflect that the LOTR themes had built on them as time had gone by.

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;36767892 said:
Speaking of the contributing singers; Emiliana Torrini really did a fantastic job with Gollum's Song (Long Ways To Go Yet on the complete score) in capturing Smeagol's utter despair and hopelessness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-VUt_UWKfw

Gollum's Song was the least moving of the three major songs, but it's my favorite. I had Gollum's Song on constant repeat and still wish it had gotten the same love and attention as Into the West and the Enya song.

Being a lonely guy stuck in the middle of nowhere, working in a nowhere town, very few friends...I related to the song a bit too much.

Hell it's stuck in my head now just seeing this, without having clicked the YT link.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Yeah, I'm actually expecting one of the films big numbers to be from a tenor. The other one is up in the air because The Hobbit is a tale of adventure. Howard will probably surprise us.

Maybe we'll get a full on male voice choir.

I'm looking forward as to whether we'll get hints of the LOTR score in there. If Peter wants to sort of tie the two sets of films together, Howard might throw in a few themes from LOTR but in a more bare bones form to reflect that the LOTR themes had built on them as time had gone by.
If this is a taste of things to come then we're certainly in for a treat.

I still can't believe that after all the trouble this production went through, with Del Toro and his leaving and fires and MGM, that in the end those troubles ended up giving us more movies by Jackson - who is the only person I ever wanted to see make The Hobbit.

I still can't believe that after all the trouble this production went through, with Del Toro and his leaving and fires and MGM, that in the end those troubles ended up giving us more movies by Jackson - who is the only person I ever wanted to see make The Hobbit.

Man tried to interfere with destiny, but the Movie Gods returned The Hobbit to its true path.

Loxley

Man tried to interfere with destiny, but the Movie Gods returned The Hobbit to its true path.

Exactly. I was very interested when Del Toro was attached, but I'd be lying if I said that I was elated when Jackson took over as director in his place.

Of course now there will always be the "what if?" question with regards to what kind of movie we would have gotten had Del Toro directed. Hopefully that'll be something they discuss on the inevitable behind-the-scenes featurettes on the DVD/Blu-Ray for The Hobbit. I'd be really curious to see just how "Del Toro-ified" the early visions for the films were versus how much Jackson reigned in (if at all) the art direction when he became director for sake of visual continuity with the LotR films.

Granted, since we saw no pre-production at all from when Del Toro was still attached, for all I know nothing was changed at all. But I have to believe Del Toro - as a director who is known for his own visual style in his films - was definitely going to find a few unique ways of his own to put his stamp on Middle-Earth in some fashion.

bengraven

I honestly expected this to end up in developmental hell.

I think Peter Jackson just realized in his heart that this property was essentially his responsibility and he just finally gave in.

He was like Frodo with the ring. He went to Council, wanted someone else to take the burden and just go home, but in the end realized he had no choice.

35v63f.jpg

God, just hearing that quote while the dwarf song is playing makes my skin grow goosebumps. It's truly a great time to be a nerd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom