• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Great pics over at iO9 today.

I had no clue that Frank Frazetta did Lord of the Rings art. It's beautiful, but some of it is way way beyond canon. Gollum looks like a happy goblin and Eowyn doesn't have any pants on and apparently there are either thongs in Middle-Earth or she's going near nude from her waist down to prove to the Witch King that she was indeed NO MAN.

http://io9.com/5911710/frank-frazet...tions-brought-barbarian-armor-to-middle-earth

rAsWc.jpg

LMTQp.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

I had no clue that Frank Frazetta did Lord of the Rings art. It's beautiful, but some of it is way way beyond canon. Gollum looks like a happy goblin and Eowyn doesn't have any pants on and apparently there are either thongs in Middle-Earth or she's going near nude from her waist down to prove to the Witch King that she was indeed NO MAN.

http://io9.com/5911710/frank-frazet...tions-brought-barbarian-armor-to-middle-earth

rAsWc.jpg

LMTQp.jpg
Gandalf looks great and this depiction of the Witch-King isn't too shabby either.

iyr2dn2MQFAg5.jpg

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

The butt floss orcs would terrify opposing armies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Not significant, but interesting nonetheless.

According to this user on the Red User forum:
Peter Jackson (and his team) has now shot the equivalent of 20 million feet of film on The Hobbit. For reference, he shot 7 million feet of film on The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Peter is shooting up to 50 RED Epics on The Hobbit. And there is still time to go...

When I had dinner with Peter a couple of weeks ago... he was happy. If Peter is happy, I'm happy.
Source

Loxley

Call it morbid curiosity, but I'm really interested in finding out what the final bill for both Hobbit films will be for WB/New Line...wouldn't be surprised at all if it were in the neighborhood of $300+ million, largely because of all the fancy tech being used for it.

But hey, if I had to pick a book adaptation to get that kind of green and space-age tech thrown at it, it'd probably be a Tolkien creation (rather than, say, a Transformers sequel). I have no doubt they'll easily get their money back, what with Tolkien's worldwide audience probably doubling as a result of Jackson's films.

apana

Call it morbid curiosity, but I'm really interested in finding out what the final bill for both Hobbit films will be for WB/New Line...wouldn't be surprised at all if it were in the neighborhood of $300+ million, largely because of all the fancy tech being used for it.

But hey, if I had to pick a book adaption to get that kind of green and space-age tech thrown at it, it'd probably be a Tolkien creation (rather than, say, a Transformers sequel). I have no doubt they'll easily get their money back, what with Tolkien's worldwide audience probably doubling as a result of Jackson's films.

This may just be total bullshit that I imagined but I thought it was 500 million total. 200 million for each film and 100 million in legal disputes/settlement.

I havent really followed the movie after the first trailer but the negative reception from the 48fps clips make me nervous :<.

Reasons: ungraded footage, non finished, shattering more than 60 years of habit with 24 fps assumed as cinematic. Once it's graded and finished, it'll look way better, and if you don't or others don't like it, just see 24 fps version, is this so hard to do?!

Loxley

I havent really followed the movie after the first trailer but the negative reception from the 48fps clips make me nervous :<.

Don't be. The footage was 10 minutes of out-of-context clips, and very un-finished; in addition to the jump to 48p being a jarring one. Of course they're going to whine about it, Jackson himself said it would likely take people at least 10 minutes for their eyes to adjust to the higher framerate.

Dany

Banned
Most of the complaints that has me worried is that the make up and prosthetic are noticeable which would suck a lot.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Most of the complaints that has me worried is that the make up and prosthetic are noticeable which would suck a lot.
Plenty of time in post-production to deal with any of these little issues. Peter and co have great love for Middle-earth and they won't produce a film that's anything less than perfect in their eyes.

teiresias

OK, was going to make a new topic for this, but thought I'd throw this in since, as someone else said, this seems to nearly be a Tolkien OT.

Now, I've read both The Hobbit and LOTR multiple times, but I've just started in on a re-read of the Hobbit (since it's been years for that one) and will jump into another read of LOTR after a few things I want to get read after the Hobbit. Now, I've never read any of the supplemental materials, like the Appendices in LOTR or The Silmarillion, though I've owned a copy of the latter for years. Is there better order to read these in (the LOTR Appendices vs Silmarillion) or does it really matter? Also, outside of that, what other Tolkien stuff do people recommend that's not the big two?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
OK, was going to make a new topic for this, but thought I'd throw this in since, as someone else said, this seems to nearly be a Tolkien OT.

Now, I've read both The Hobbit and LOTR multiple times, but I've just started in on a re-read of the Hobbit (since it's been years for that one) and will jump into another read of LOTR after a few things I want to get read after the Hobbit. Now, I've never read any of the supplemental materials, like the Appendices in LOTR or The Silmarillion, though I've owned a copy of the latter for years. Is there better order to read these in (the LOTR Appendices vs Silmarillion) or does it really matter? Also, outside of that, what other Tolkien stuff do people recommend that's not the big two?

A good order to read them is: Silmarillion==>Hobbit==>LOTR. That follows the historical order of the events in Tolkien's legendarium from the creation of the world to the downfall of Sauron and the beginning of the Fourth Age.

If you want more, there's also the Unfinished Tales which isn't a complete narrative, but a collection of extra sub-narratives and essays and rough drafts/analysis.

If you want more in depth analysis, the next step is the History of Middle-earth series which features 12 books. There are some hidden gems of narrative in those books, so they are worth reading, especially Morgoth's Ring.

After that, there's Tolkien's non-Arda related stuff. A few very sweet short stories and poems.

P.S The name of one of the gems in Morgoth's ring is Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, it goes into detail about the original corruption of men. It's a frank discussion between an Elf lord and a mortal women.

Dany

Banned
Edmond Dantès;38245504 said:
Plenty of time in post-production to deal with any of these little issues. Peter and co have great love for Middle-earth and they won't produce a film that's anything less than perfect in their eyes.

For their first 'mega unveling' where they are letting critics watch 10 minutes of it, seems odd that didn't have that stuff cleaned up.

Cheebo

Banned
For a newer reader I'd always say: The Hobbit > The Lord of the Rings (+ Appendices) > The Silmarillion > Children of Hurin > Unfinished Tales

teiresias

Edmond Dantès;38245996 said:
A good order to read them is: Silmarillion==>Hobbit==>LOTR. That follows the historical order of the events in Tolkien's legendarium from the creation of the world to the downfall of Sauron and the beginning of the Fourth Age.

If you want more, there's also the Unfinished Tales which isn't a complete narrative, but a collection of extra sub-narratives and essays and rough drafts/analysis.

If you want more in depth analysis, the next step is the History of Middle-earth series which features 12 books. There are some hidden gems of narrative in those books, so they are worth reading, especially Morgoth's Ring.

After that, there's Tolkien's non-Arda related stuff. A few very sweet short stories and poems.

P.S The name of one of the gems in Morgoth's ring is Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, it goes into detail about the original corruption of men. It's a frank discussion between an Elf lord and a mortal women.

Thanks. The 12 book series sounds great, I might give that a try.

i had a thought recently about all the 48fps doubtfulness. could it be possible for them to make only some parts of the movie in 48fps while others in 24 or does it have to be one or the other all the way? some scenes i imagine would need the 'cinematic' aspect of 24fps, like dialogue and such but action/stunt scenes would be great in 48.

Jimothy

I'll probably end up seeing in this at the Lincoln Square IMAX in NYC. Since it's a 70mm film theater, will it be shown in 24 fps? I might prefer to see it that way. I'm really not sold on the higher frame rate thing.

I'll probably end up seeing in this at the Lincoln Square IMAX in NYC. Since it's a 70mm film theater, will it be shown in 24 fps? I might prefer to see it that way. I'm really not sold on the higher frame rate thing.

How can you be sold on something if you're not willing to try it?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
There'll both 48fps and 24fps showings and 3d/2d showings by the looks of it.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Sir Ian was on my flight to Auckland on Friday, and right in front of me in security with couple of others. They got held up for a bit given they were trying to carry a 4ft steel sword onto the plane, but eventually got through demonstrating that you can get a bigass weapon onto a flight into NZ if you either organise it enough in advance and/or are a wizard.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Seems like an extra has confirmed one of the locations that many Tolkien fans have been yearning for. Look at his acting section:

http://www.starnow.co.uk/alexandergrahamreid

ifqAVX2or6OhW.jpg

Probably going to be featured in the potential prologue or through story flashbacks throughout the film (although that doesn't really seem like Peter's style). We may well be getting quite a detailed origin story of the Dwarves and how they came to be on Middle-earth.

Of course, none of this ever pops up in the actual book so it may well annoy quite a few Tolkien purists.

Just finished re-watched the trilogy for nth time and I really want to list my favourite scenes/scores and join the countless others that reposted the same thing. But these really struck an emotional chord with me:

As for the Lego Lord of the Rings game, been waiting for that since they announced Lego Star Wars. I hope they include The Hobbit in the game. It would be very Traveller's Tales to split it into two games (LOTR and Hobbit 1/2).

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;38315021 said:
Seems like an extra has confirmed one of the locations that many Tolkien fans have been yearning for. Look at his acting section:

ifqAVX2or6OhW.jpg

Probably going to be featured in the potential prologue or through story flashbacks throughout the film (although that doesn't really seem like Peter's style). We may well be getting quite a detailed origin story of the Dwarves and how they came to be on Middle-earth.

Of course, none of this ever pops up in the actual book so it may well annoy quite a few Tolkien purists.

Makes sense since The Hobbit puts a bigger focus on dwarves and hobbits, while LOTR put an emphasis on hobbits and men.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;38315021 said:

ifqAVX2or6OhW.jpg

Isn't
Gundabad
(don't know if i should spoil it) also where Bolg and the Goblin horde that fights in The Battle of the Five Armies are from? I think it'd be awesome if Jackson showed what it was like pre-Orc/Goblin invasion with, as you said, potential flashbacks or a prologue of some sort. Might help give the audience some context as to how it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom