• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edmond Dantès;38245996 said:
A good order to read them is: Silmarillion==>Hobbit==>LOTR. That follows the historical order of the events in Tolkien's legendarium from the creation of the world to the downfall of Sauron and the beginning of the Fourth Age.

If you want more, there's also the Unfinished Tales which isn't a complete narrative, but a collection of extra sub-narratives and essays and rough drafts/analysis.

If you want more in depth analysis, the next step is the History of Middle-earth series which features 12 books. There are some hidden gems of narrative in those books, so they are worth reading, especially Morgoth's Ring.

After that, there's Tolkien's non-Arda related stuff. A few very sweet short stories and poems.

P.S The name of one of the gems in Morgoth's ring is Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, it goes into detail about the original corruption of men. It's a frank discussion between an Elf lord and a mortal women.

This damn post ...seriously, I'm about to buy some shit off of Amazon now, thanks! (^___^)

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
This damn post ...seriously, I'm about to buy some shit off of Amazon now, thanks! (^___^)
Nice.

I'd strongly recommend this volume from the History series.

ibngFukbST5qGA.jpg

It features The Lay of the Children of Húrin and The Lay of Leithian, two beautiful poems almost Iliad/Aeneid-like.

And that cover is also one the best in the series, featuring one of the greatest of the elves and the origin all evil on Middle-earth and the catalyst for everything that occurred.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
So, in light of the mixed reaction to Prometheus thus far and people lamenting the fact that Ridley isn't the director he was in the seventies/eighties. Does everyone think Peter still has it in him to return to a genre and world that he did so well in realising and doing it justice once more? Or will the reactions to An Unexpected Journey come December be similar to the current reaction to Prometheus?

Will everybody stop talking about the reactions to Prometheus. I can't walk into a fucking thread without being told what people are saying about Prometheus. Makes being on blackout for impressions very hard. This is a Hobbit thread goddammit. :(

anaron

Will everybody stop talking about the reactions to Prometheus. I can't walk into a fucking thread without being told what people are saying about Prometheus. Makes being on blackout for impressions very hard. This is a Hobbit thread goddammit. :(

Seriously. Let us believe it'll be life changing until December.

Gila

Edmond Dantès;38411246 said:
So, in light of the mixed reaction to Prometheus thus far and people lamenting the fact that Ridley isn't the director he was in the seventies/eighties. Does everyone think Peter still has it in him to return to a genre and world that he did so well in realising and doing it justice once more? Or will the reactions to An Unexpected Journey come December be similar to the current reaction to Prometheus?

Of course he does, I'd just like to reiterate what Sculli said in the batman thread

Fat Jackson = Master Jackson. It's hard to argue with the fats. Hobbit will be amazing.

Zio

Of course he does, I'd just like to reiterate what Sculli said in the batman thread

I really liked lovely bones...was it not well received by most? It was no LOTR of course, but it actually really moved me...stuck with me a while after I left the theater and that doesn't happen to me often.

I have full faith in PJ. This is this guy's passion, something he's been dreaming about doing since he was a child. That's what's going to make it amazing...not how chubby he is lol (though it's not a bad theory). He's already demonstrated how much respect for Tolkien's work he has, as well as his ability to do it justice in a film adaptation, giving it all he's got. I don't understand the doubts.

Monocle

Edmond Dantès;38411246 said:
The trailer and production diaries erased any doubt I might have had about Jackson's ability to recapture the magic. Both Hobbit films will be masterpieces to rival the LOTR trilogy.

GCX

Jackson has the advantage of having almost all of the key people who made LOTR great also working on The Hobbit. The writers, producers, concept artists, set and costume designers, music department, some actors, etc.

It's not only in the hands of the director to recapture the magic.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Jackson has the advantage of having almost all of the key people who made LOTR great also working on The Hobbit. The writers, producers, concept artists, set and costume designers, music department, some actors, etc.

It's not only in the hands of the director to recapture the magic.
But many of them are ten years older and may not have the same hunger or passion for Middle-earth that they once had and some might even consider it a lesser project, considering the scale and narrative of The Hobbit in comparison to The Lord of the Rings.

GCX

Edmond Dantès;38434303 said:
But many of them are ten years older and may not have the same hunger or passion for Middle-earth that they once had and some might even consider it a lesser project, considering the scale and narrative of The Hobbit in comparison to The Lord of the Rings.
Yeah it's a possibility, for many people working on LOTR it was the big showcase of their career, Jackson most of all. They just had to make it work.

I was just pointing out that the big difference in this Peter Jackson/Ridley Scott comparison is that Jackson still has the whole team while Scott revisited the Alien universe with pretty much an all new group.

Edmond Dantès;38434303 said:

I doubt they'd be jaded because it seems this project is one of those rare projects where they have ample amount of time to be able to literally work at their peak. They also have a ridiculous budget. This is practically Avatar level in terms of the significance of the movie.

ckohler

Edmond Dantès;38028727 said:
Gandalf looks great and this depiction of the Witch-King isn't too shabby either.

iyr2dn2MQFAg5.jpg

The Witch-King isn't bad but that Éowyn is ridiculous. "But no living man am I! You look upon a woman." Oh really? I would have never guessed by those breast plates and that bikini-bottom chainmail.

Loxley

I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up just for the scenes in Mirkwood. I suppose if they absolutely had to he could show up at the Battle of the Five Armies, but seeing as he's not a primary character in The Hobbit (or at all in the book), it would be a bit weird for them to put any real emphasis on him outside of a short cameo; similar to Hugh Jackman showing up as Logan for a short scene in X-Men First Class.

If anything I'd expect a larger emphasis on Tauriel (Evangeline Lilly's character) than Legolas, at least between the two. But I agree about the acrobatics, Jackson really pushed that in LotR.

Cheebo

Banned
Edmond Dantès;38467965 said:
Hope we don't see too much of him, especially all the silly acrobatics and him coming across as some kind of super Elf, that belongs in the First Age with the likes of Fëanor, Fingolfin, Finrod, Beleg Cúthalion and co.

He is in it a lot, he was on set filming for about 4 months straight, which was longer than Evangeline Lilly for comparison. He is apparently extremely heavily involved in the battle of the 5 armies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
He is in it a lot, he was on set filming for about 4 months straight, which was longer than Evangeline Lilly for comparison. He is apparently extremely heavily involved in the battle of the 5 armies.
Makes sense considering the Elven army involved in the battle is his father's army.

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;38481760 said:
Makes sense considering the Elven army involved in the battle is his father's army.

Yep, I have zero issue with this. He's basically the prince of Mirkwood. I expect him to be there during several Mirkwood scenes and probably will be the voice of his father at the War.

Of all the LOTR roles that were not in the Hobbit, but would be in the movie, his made the most sense at first.

oatmeal

Banned
Jim Jannard (of RED) wrote this:

Peter Jackson (and his team) has now shot the equivalent of 20 million feet of film on The Hobbit. For reference, he shot 7 million feet of film on The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Peter is shooting up to 50 RED Epics on The Hobbit. And there is still time to go...

When I had dinner with Peter a couple of weeks ago... he was happy. If Peter is happy, I'm happy.

Jim

I posted that on Twitter and a director who follows me said this:

@PeterWebber:
@TheFilmStage They leave the camera running between takes, that might explain it. Visited the set the other day!

Crazy, guess it's worth it.

oatmeal

Banned
I posted that on Twitter and a director who follows me said this:

@PeterWebber:

Crazy, guess it's worth it.

Poor assistant editors.

Of course you have to remember that they're shooting at twice the framerate...so really it's only 10 million feet..and then you have to remember that it's two cameras for everything, so it's only 5 million feet.

Someone did the math:

Some calculations:

20,000,000 feet = 6,100,000 meter
1 frame = 0.019 meter at 4 perf (considering cinema scope 2.4 here, with 1:1.2 anamorphotics)
6,100,000 meter / 0.019 meter/frame = 321,052,632 frames
321,052,632 frames / (48 frames/second * 2 eyes/frame * 2 exposures/frame) =
321,052,632 frames / 192 frames/second = 1,672,149 seconds
1,672,149 seconds / 60 seconds/minute = 27869,15 minutes
27869,15 minutes / 60 minutes/hour = 464,49 hours
464,49 hours / 24 hours/day = 19,35 days

Wow...

1 frame = 5120x * 2132y pixels (assuming 2.4 cinema scope here) * 16 bits per color * RGB = 65,495,040 bytes per frame
321,052,632 frames * 65,495,040 bytes per frame = 21,027,354,974,945,280 bytes

Thats 21 peta 27 tera 354 giga 974 mega 945 thousand and 280 bytes when stored uncompressed...

OK, no one will do that. They will make selected takes, convert only footage they need, may rely on B44A 4:1 EXR compression. So we don't really now how large their storage requirement will really be (except they tell us).

Loxley

On top of his Knighthood in 2010, Queen Elizabeth has appointed Peter Jackson as a Member of the Order of New Zealand; the country's highest honor.

Oscar-winning film-maker Sir Peter Jackson has been handed New Zealand's highest honour. Sir Peter is made an additional member of the Order of New Zealand in the Queen's Birthday Honours List.

In a statement, he said he was "stoked" to join the Order of New Zealand. "To be counted in such company is an extraordinary honour and I would like to accept it on behalf of all those who work within the New Zealand film industry," he said.
"The ingenuity, creativity and spirit of our New Zealand crews, and our wonderful actors, never ceases to inspire me. "I would also like to thank the people of New Zealand for so readily and enthusiastically cheering on a kid with a camera from Pukerua Bay. It stills feels like a hobby. I haven't got a real job. I'm stoked," he said.

He is one of four additional members to join the Order of New Zealand to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. Sir Peter won the Academy Award for best director, best picture and best screenplay for the third of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Return of the King.
He is currently putting the final touches on two film adaptation of the JRR Tolkien book, The Hobbit, a prequel to the Lord of the Rings. Sir Peter was knighted for his significant contribution to the New Zealand film industry in 2010. His first film Bad Taste was a low-budget horror-comedy before his drama debut Heavenly Creatures, about a murder committed by two schoolgirls in Christchurch in 1954, won him plaudits and attention.

But it was his celebrated Lord of the Rings trilogy, shot in New Zealand, which thrust him into the international spotlight. He was involved in a spat with the actors' union in 2010 over employment terms for those working on The Hobbit, which eventually led to the government changing the law and offering sweeteners to film company Warner Bros. The director of Weta Digital, which Sir Peter founded, American Joe Letteri, a multi-Oscar winner, was made an Honorary Officer of the Order of New Zealand.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
They deserve it, the people of New Zealand have really embraced the films and the crew and have made the whole thing work so well.

Spoilers ahoy though for two weeks.

Guess the OT will be going up quite early then.

Artist initially claimed the OT, but PM'd later and very graciously let me have responsibility for it. So, if no one has any qualms about me doing it... I'll be doing it and it'll be informative and of course, spoiler free.

Edmond Dantès;38575962 said:
They deserve it, the people of New Zealand have really embraced the films and the crew and have made the whole thing work so well.

Spoilers ahoy though for two weeks.

Guess the OT will be going up quite early then.

Artist initially claimed the OT, but PM'd later and very graciously let me have responsibility for it. So, if no one has any qualms about me doing it... I'll be doing it and it'll be informative and of course, spoiler free.

I don't think anybody would have a problem with you doing it considering your dedication. Claiming OTs months and months and months in advance is goddamn retarded and something I will continue to ignore, however.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
any news on when we are likely to see some more footage? Been a bit sparse since the trailer

Suairyu

Banned
Edmond Dantès;38575962 said:
It's cool so long as England gets the other one. Respect that heritage and all.

Loxley

all 3 lotr premieres were in new zealand I believe, don't see why that would change.

Return of the King was the only LotR film to have it's world premiere in New Zealand; Fellowship premiered in London and The Two Towers premiered in New York City.

Funny enough, it was at TTT's New Zealand premiere (after it had opened elsewhere) that Jackson pretty much tricked one of the producers from New Line to stand up in front of the thousands of people attending the premiere and tell them that the world premiere for RotK would be in Wellington. Jackson was giving a big thank you speech for everyone's support, and then in an amusing example of abuse of power, asked one of the New Line guys to come up to the mic for a second, and asked him "Hey, why don't you tell everyone where the world premiere for Return of the King is going to be?" And with thousands of New Zealanders and cameras staring directly at him, the guy pretty much had no choice but to say "Wellington, New Zealand!" or risk getting mobbed.

By that point people were only speculating where RotK would make it's worldwide debut, it wasn't written in stone yet. So Jackson decided to take advantage of that and secure the world premiere for RotK in Wellington. I assume the conversation was slightly more civil this time around ;)

OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT

PJ just posted on facebook. :D

Peter Jackson
Sorry to be out of touch these past few weeks. It's been very busy here on the set… What would you say to a little studio tour?

20 minutes ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom