• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Does anyone think that two films will surpass the three hour mark each? Or will Peter and co try to keep the length down this time?

I'm thinking two and a half hours for each film and the potential extended editions reaching the three hour mark.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;38684759 said:
Does anyone think that two films will surpass the three hour mark each? Or will Peter and co try to keep the length down this time?

I'm thinking two and a half hours for each film and the potential extended editions reaching the three hour mark.

That's pretty much what I'm anticipating, it worked for the LotR films so I would expect them to go the same route with The Hobbit.

jett

D-Member
Edmond Dantès;38684759 said:

We're talking about the guy that stretched King Kong to three hours. I hope he doesn't over indulge this time, but I doubt he won't.

Saw the trailer in 3D for this before Prometheus. The trailer was much better than the film.

With that in mind, the 3D for the Hobbit looked fantastic. Some of the best 3D visuals I've ever seen.

Very excited for this film.

Vega

I think each installment will be no less than 3 hours.

I mean King Kong, a movie that had no reason to exceed 2 hours, dragged on forever. I think there is an extended version out there too...

Cheebo

Banned
The Total Film magazine write up has a interesting tidbit about a love story aspect PJ and co. are adding to The Hobbit.
Kili and Tauriel will have a romantic relationship in the two films

raphier

Banned
The Total Film magazine write up has a interesting tidbit about a love story aspect PJ and co. are adding to The Hobbit.
Kili and Tauriel will have a romantic relationship in the two films

huh? why not
orlando bloom ;)
I don't know why Hobbit needs a love story anyway.

Loxley

Before people freak out about that, I have serious doubts they're going to form an actual love story there (along the lines of Aragorn + Arwen or Faramir + Eowyn). At this point I'm assuming he just hits on her all the time, which I can see a dwarf doing. I actually think there's potential for some good humor there.

ascii42

Before people freak out about that, I have serious doubts they're going to form an actual love story there (along the lines of Aragorn + Arwen or Faramir + Eowyn). At this point I'm assuming he just hits on her all the time, which I can see a dwarf doing.

It's been a while, but all I remember as far as Faramir + Eowyn in the movie was them looking at each other.

Altazor

goddammit, the ending of that last production video... it's GOLD, JERRY - GOLD!

and I still can't believe the first film comes out this year. It's like 2001 all over again, and I'm a preteen getting excited every month of the year until the film is released and hyped out of my mind already. It's a mix of nostalgia and anticipation for me.

The Onion: Peter Jackson Opens Up About His Personal Hobbit Friends In Beginnings Of Genius Marketing Campaign Or Full-On Mental Breakdown

Either deploying a brilliant strategy to spur excitement for his forthcoming adaptation of The Hobbit or completely losing his grip on reality, filmmaker Peter Jackson told reporters Sunday about the many hobbits with whom he enjoys personal friendships.

"It was such a delight to return to the Shire and work with all my marvelous hobbit friends again," said Jackson, who may have been introducing a daring new kind of marketing campaign or may have experienced a major psychotic break. "These are the guys I spent years with when we were making The Lord Of The Rings, so we're almost like family at this point."

"Bilbo, of course, is as hale as ever, and seeing Frodo for a couple days was a rare treat," an enthusiastic Jackson either playfully or chillingly told members of the Hollywood press. "They're my little best friends."

bengraven

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;38857938 said:
Interesting to look back at this a year on and see how much this 'insider' got right.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/dnbbg/iama_person_currently_working_on_the_hobbit/

Some spoilers.

I'd never seen that before, interesting read. The guy's claims don't sound that far-fetched, especially given what we know now. I'm curious to see what the
added/changed fight scene involving all the characters
is about, assuming it made it into final production. I'm also pretty much expecting at this point that Gollum
will play a larger role in the movies than he did in the books, I would argue he's become too iconic of a film character to just flat-out disappear after Riddles in the Dark

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'd never seen that before, interesting read. The guy's claims don't sound that far-fetched, especially given what we know now. I'm curious to see what the
added/changed fight scene involving all the characters
is about, assuming it made it into final production. I'm also pretty much expecting at this point that Gollum
will play a larger role in the movies than he did in the books, I would argue he's become too iconic of a film character to just flat-out disappear after Riddles in the Dark
Agreed.

But I can't really see where else they could place Gollum in the narrative in an elegant manner without seemingly shoehorning him in.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;38858785 said:
Agreed.

But I can't really see where else they could place Gollum in the narrative in an elegant manner without seemingly shoehorning him in.

Yeah, it'll be one of the many things that I'll be very interested to see how they pull off.

But hey, maybe we'll get a glimpse relatively soon, Warner Bros. announced today that The Hobbit will have a three-hour long panel at this year's San Diego Comic-Con (Saturday, July 14th). With that amount of time you can be sure they'll be showing off some footage, likely at 48p too. Hopefully it'll be slightly more finished this time around as opposed to the ungraded green-screen-happy stuff that was shown at Cinemacon.

Heck, that may even be when they unveil the next trailer seeing as it's a mere week before the release of The Dark Knight Rises.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Yeah, it'll be one of the many things that I'll be very interested to see how they pull off.

But hey, maybe we'll get a glimpse relatively soon, Warner Bros. announced today that The Hobbit will have a three-hour long panel at this year's San Diego Comic-Con (Saturday, July 14th). With that amount of time you can be sure they'll be showing off some footage, likely at 48p too. Hopefully it'll be slightly more finished this time around as opposed to the ungraded green-screen-happy stuff that was shown at Cinemacon.

Heck, that may even be when they unveil the next trailer seeing as it's a mere week before the release of The Dark Knight Rises.
I won't be surprised if the second trailer is revealed at Comic-Con.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Recently classified.

KgY2K.png

http://www.albertafilmratings.ca/recentclasstrailers.aspx

It won't be long now.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

3-hour long panel? Jesus.

Edit: Oh, WB has a 3-hour panel... that makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'm thinking that the second trailer might be attached to Brave, which would mean that the trailer is put online a day before just like last time. So next Thursday is a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom