• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I wonder what "extra content" they are going to add in and just how they will handle the Necromancer....
Extra stuff from the appendices regarding Durin's folk for a potential prologue or flashbacks during the film as well as exploring the Necromancer's past. His former title as Lord of the Wolves and linking that to the Wargs and maybe mentioning his deeds before the Third Age and explaining his corruption at the hands of Evil itself.

It's what Guillermo del Toro really wanted when he was still in charge; to give
Sauron
a proper backstory.

Hargenx

My fear are in the changes, all the movie look sooooooo gooooooood, but my hype train can't pass the changes... ;_;

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;39690110 said:
They've nailed the look of the Wargs this time. Beorn looks stupendous as well. This also confirms the cut-off point of the first part.

Again it's quite spoilerific for anyone who hasn't read the book.

Fuck yes, I was hoping it wouldn't take long for this to go up - the non-microscope version.

Oh to be 21 and single again so I could put something like that on my wall. :p

agrajag

Banned
Edmond Dantès;39690110 said:
They've nailed the look of the Wargs this time. Beorn looks stupendous as well. This also confirms the cut-off point of the first part.

Again it's quite spoilerific for anyone who hasn't read the book.

I'm really glad they changed the look of the wargs. They looked awful in TTT, didn't even look like wolves.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
is there much action likely to be in part 1?

Loxley

Would love to see what you come up with!

Here's the most obvious one from that image (in 1920x1080):

noticiahobbitimagenpano.jpg

Working on a few others :)

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY at that banner!! Magical...

Just can't believe how much they're showing

agrajag

Banned
Edmond Dantès;39709650 said:
Not to mention the prologue which will most probably feature the Battle of Azanulbizar and the slaying of
Azog by Dain II Ironfoot.

I haven't considered that they would do it in the prologue. Man, this is all so exciting! They should also include how Gandalf recruited Thorin in the prologue.

Lancehead

Edmond Dantès;39709650 said:
Not to mention the prologue which will most probably feature the Battle of Azanulbizar and the slaying of
Azog by Dain II Ironfoot.

Hope they'll also show
the slaying of Thror by Azog in Moria
, which lead to the goblin-dwarf battles.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
It's my favourite depiction of Gandalf and the poster nailed it. I actually got a little emotional seeing that, mixed with the nostalgia for the past movies.

Fucking magic.

yeah, this is spot on. so excited for the movie this year.

thefro

I haven't considered that they would do it in the prologue. Man, this is all so exciting! They should also include how Gandalf recruited Thorin in the prologue.

There's about 5-6 things they should cover as part of the backstory just having to do with the dwarves, so I'm expecting some of them to open the 2nd movie and maybe 1-2 in a flashback

- Smaug takes the Lonely Mountain from Thror/Thrain, destroys Dwarf Kingdom & Dale
- Thror killed by Azog
- Quick Dwarf/Orc War montage
- Battle of Azanulbizar
- Thráin heads off on a quest to take back the Mountain (consumed by his ring), captured by Sauron.
- Gandalf meets Thráin and gets the map/key before Thráin passes away
- Gandalf recruits Thorin at Bree

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
There's about 5-6 things they should cover as part of the backstory just having to do with the dwarves, so I'm expecting some of them to open the 2nd movie and maybe 1-2 in a flashback

- Smaug takes the Lonely Mountain from Thror/Thrain, destroys Dwarf Kingdom & Dale
- Thror killed by Azog
- Quick Dwarf/Orc War montage
- Battle of Azanulbizar
- Thráin heads off on a quest to take back the Mountain (consumed by his ring), captured by Sauron.
- Gandalf meets Thráin and gets the map/key before Thráin passes away
- Gandalf recruits Thorin at Bree
Smaug's origins/links to Melkor as well as Thû's origins will also most certainly be explored via flashbacks (during the White Council meeting) or even in the prologue.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Does comic con stuff usually show up online? The only thing i remember from previous cons is shaky cam footage of panels.

Loxley

Does comic con stuff usually show up online? The only thing i remember from previous cons is shaky cam footage of panels.

It depends on how strict they are with limiting cameras/phones. I know way back in 2007 when WB previewed the first TDK footage they went so far as to confiscate everyone's phones and cameras as they entered the panel, and if you didn't agree to it then you weren't let in.

Or, they'll just be super-militant about removing any clips of the footage that show up online - which is the more common way of going about it.

Something that I was thinking of: is Gandalf's motivation ever explained, in a post-LotR way? Why is he going out of his way to help these dwarves? And he couldn't have known that Bilbo would find the ring, so why did he specifically target this poor hobbit?

For that matter, were Gandalf's origins properly described (through Silmarillion work) before The Hobbit was released or did Tolkien flesh him out after that?

Cheebo

Banned
Something that I was thinking of: is Gandalf's motivation ever explained, in a post-LotR way? Why is he going out of his way to help these dwarves? And he couldn't have known that Bilbo would find the ring, so why did he specifically target this poor hobbit?

For that matter, were Gandalf's origins properly described (through Silmarillion work) before The Hobbit was released or did Tolkien flesh him out after that?
His motivation was he knew Smaug would be a an ally and a good location for Sauron in his impending return. It for him was to take out a ally for Saurons forces and secure a central location.

And Gandalfs origins were written pre-The Hobbit. He wrote most of the silmarillion prior to writing the hobbit.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
His motivation was he knew Smaug would be a an ally and a good location for Sauron in his impending return. It for him was to take out a ally for Saurons forces and secure a central location.

And Gandalfs origins were written pre-The Hobbit. He wrote most of the silmarillion prior to writing the hobbit.
Not strictly true as the character was originally called Bladorthin and was roughly based on Tu the Wizard from The Lost Tales. Gandalf the Grey as we know him was really developed during the drafting phase of The Hobbit. The 'Odinic wanderer' as Tolkien once described him was most probably inspired by a fantasy book called 'The Well at the World's End' as well as Norse myths; Heimskringla for example.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Love, love, love the original trilogy but can't get hyped for this. So weird.
Is it the characters? The lesser scale? The tonal differences in the narrative? The lack of a main antagonist? The focus on Bilbo? Does it feel like a step down from the grandioseness of the trilogy?

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;39756833 said:
Most probably. This is their chance to impress after the mixed reaction they received last time.

The odds are also much more in their favor this time around, seeing as it'll be a room of thousands of fans and not film-snobs. Obviously there is some cross-over there, but if ever there was an audience that would react positively to almost anything shown, its at Comic-Con. The reaction from Cinema-Con was mostly regarding the tech-side of things, a lot of the people who talked about it only glossed over the actual content of the footage. I'm much more interested in reading feed-back from Tolkien fans this time around.

Mr Cola

man i am seriously at the precipice of being head over heels hyped for this movie, there is still the nag in the back of my head from cinemacon that tells me to keep my expectations moderate but the geek side of me wants to believe this is going to be great

bengraven

Love the dwarf weapons, especially Nori's and Thorin's Orcrist.

That said, I do have that nagging annoyance that they're using the same inspiration that things like Dragon Age, World of Warcraft, Warhammer (to a lesser extent) use.

That said, I do have that nagging annoyance that they're using the same inspiration that things like Dragon Age, World of Warcraft, Warhammer (to a lesser extent) use.

Isn't that ironic considering those games are all inspired by LOTR? Although not sure if the dwarves weapons were described in great detail in the books.

Loxley

Love the dwarf weapons, especially Nori's and Thorin's Orcrist.

Well, to be fair, the design aesthetics of the Dwarves was described by Tolkien and (as far as the movies go) was worked out at far as back as 1998 during pre-production of Fellowship. The way they appear in The Hobbit is likely just an extension of what they created for the LotR trilogy.

leesketchdwarrowdelf.jpg

leesketchentrance.jpg

alanleethe20lord20of20t.jpg

I'd place the blame modern game developers for being lazy and not coming up with their own original take on Dwarven design. Dragon Age in particular is pretty blatant with it's Tolkien inspirations.

But seriously, I'll look for any excuse to post Alan Lee's amazing sketches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom