• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Some of us haven't seen/are actively avoiding the books goddammit.

Well, Smaug isn't exactly the Cloverfield monster, his appearance was never some big secret. Especially since he was often printed on the cover of the book in full glory, including the Illustrated Edition.

I'm actually amazed you've (apparently) managed to avoid seeing any image of him up to this point o_O Its pretty difficult since he's in half of the marketing for the book and that image of him protecting the treasure is extremely iconic.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Well, Smaug isn't exactly the Cloverfield monster, his appearance was never some big secret. Especially since he was often printed on the cover of the book in full glory, including the Illustrated Edition.

I'm actually amazed you've (apparently) managed to avoid seeing any image of him up to this point o_O Its pretty difficult since he's in half of the marketing for the book and that image of him protecting the treasure is extremely iconic.
Yeah, he shows up on many covers in many different forms, but the film version will be unique and we will not see him until the film. Smaug's image will be guarded very, very closely.

https://blogs.libraries.iub.edu/redux/files/2011/09/hobbitlibrarything.png

On that note. I have quite a few of the copies shown.

The recent 75th anniversary edition is also quite nice

hobbit-e1323145017921.jpg

And my personal favourite and pride of place in my Tolkien book collection:

PC000008.jpg

Gila

Edmond Dantès;40034778 said:

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/dmiller/images/PC000008.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Wow that is so nice, are there LOTR one's like this too?

Cheebo

Banned
Edmond Dantès;40034778 said:
Yeah, he shows up on many covers in many different forms, but the film version will be unique and we will not see him until the film. Smaug's image will be guarded very, very closely.

https://blogs.libraries.iub.edu/redux/files/2011/09/hobbitlibrarything.png

On that note. I have quite a few of the copies shown.

The recent 75th anniversary edition is also quite nice

hobbit-e1323145017921.jpg

PC000008.jpg

Ahh that picture just reminds me how many times I bought the hobbit. I have 7 versions of it and 2 ebook versions. Bought it way more times than LOTR or Sil' too.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Transcript of the Comic-Con panel.

http://movies.about.com/od/thehobbit/a/peter-jackson-martin-freeman-ian-mckellen-interview.htm?r=et

Do you match the tone of The Hobbitnovel or the tone of your previous movies?

Peter Jackson: "That’s a very good question and I think the answer lies somewhere in between. Again, it’s a similar answer, actually, because we’ve basically used more source material than just The Hobbit. For instance, in The Hobbit where Gandalf mysteriously disappears for chapters on end, it’s never really explained in any detail where he’s gone. Much later Tolkien fleshed those moments out. In these appendices he did talk about what happened, and it was altogether a lot more darker and more serious than what is written in The Hobbit."

"To be quite honest, I want to make a series of movies that run together so if any crazy lunatic wants to watch them all in a row, there will be a consistency of tone. I don’t want to make a purely children’s story followed by The Lord of the Rings, so we are providing a balance. A lot of the comedy and the charm and the fairy tale quality of The Hobbit comes from the characters. You are dealing with Bilbo Baggins who is a little more reluctant possibly to go on the adventure than Frodo was. Your’e dealing with dwarves who have a personality and camaraderie all on their own. So, there’s a lot of humor and a light touch to be gained from those characters, but there’s still some serious things involved. Hopefully The Hobbit films will comfortably straddle both worlds."

This is interesting and judging by his comments, anyone expecting a more lighthearted adventure in Middle-earth will be sorely disappointed.

Loxley

Not too surprising since Del Toro said almost the exact same thing years ago when he and Jackson were working on the screenplay, that they were aiming for a pretty hard PG-13 like they did for The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Loxley

Seeing as we seem to have good times whenever various types of Tolkien art is posted, TheOneRing.net posted an article about a guy who made this LotR "wood burning":

lordoftheringswoodburni.jpg

I think it looks pretty cool. Its an extremely ironic piece seeing as how Tolkien was noted for his blatant love for trees and this art was straight-up burned into a slice of a tree trunk. The quote even emphasizes that, so I can't tell if the guy meant to create a very meta piece of Tolkien fan art, but either way he succeeded ;)

Zio

Seeing as we seem to have good times whenever various types of Tolkien art is posted, TheOneRing.net posted an article about a guy who made this LotR "wood burning":

lordoftheringswoodburni.jpg

I think it looks pretty cool. Its an extremely ironic piece seeing as how Tolkien was noted for his blatant love for trees and this art was straight-up burned into a slice of a tree trunk. The quote even emphasizes that, so I can't tell if the guy meant to create a very meta piece of Tolkien fan art, but either way he succeeded ;)

I dig it. It's a quote from Saruman, right? It looked to me like it's a chopped tree that his intentions for domination chopped down, but then the burnt-in image of minas tirith in the background suggests hope and triumph for the new age of men. or something like that...

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I dig it. It's a quote from Saruman, right? It looked to me like it's a chopped tree that his intentions for domination chopped down, but then the burnt-in image of minas tirith in the background suggests hope and triumph for the new age of men. or something like that...
Saruman indeed.

But the character was indeed right and it's something Tolkien lamented; the gradual industrialization of his beloved Oxfordshire.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Saw the dark knight rises today, profound disapointment :[, feel the need for some good vibes, all i could think of on the walk home was "man i cant wait for the hobbit". Im honestly not someone who is into books, this being the case is there an audio version anyone recommends?

Tacitus_

Saw the dark knight rises today, profound disapointment :[, feel the need for some good vibes, all i could think of on the walk home was "man i cant wait for the hobbit". Im honestly not someone who is into books, this being the case is there an audio version anyone recommends?

It's a short, fast moving book written for children. Man up and read it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, my roomate and I joked on the way home from TDKR that "paying six bucks to see the Hobbit trailer was a pretty good deal" (since we were both so disappointed with TDKR)

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
It's a short, fast moving book written for children. Man up and read it.

Reading books for pleasure is not something i grew up with, sad some might say, but i get a good high out of audiobooks as im usually off doing something and love listening to my ipod.

Mr Cola

Yeah, my roomate and I joked on the way home from TDKR that "paying six bucks to see the Hobbit trailer was a pretty good deal" (since we were both so disappointed with TDKR)

We had about 30 trailers between the 12:30 start and 1pm when the movie came on, no hobbit, superman or anything good on show :[. Seen prometheus and tdkr and not seen the hobbit trailer in the cinema yet.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
We had about 30 trailers between the 12:30 start and 1pm when the movie came on, no hobbit, superman or anything good on show :[. Seen prometheus and tdkr and not seen the hobbit trailer in the cinema yet.
Seen it three times now at the cinema; Hugo, Amazing Spiderman and now TDKR.

30 trailers? I think we had 4 before Batman. Superman, Hobbit, Will Farrel movie, and that stupid Ben Stiller movie.

Everybody cheered when the Hobbit came on. It was awesome.

Mr Cola

30 trailers? I think we had 4 before Batman. Superman, Hobbit, Will Farrel movie, and that stupid Ben Stiller movie.

Everybody cheered when the Hobbit came on. It was awesome.

theres 20 minutes of pre-film trailers and 10 minutes of actual film trailers, all in all the film never starts less than a half hour after you have to be seated. That being said my local odeon only was 1/4 full for tdkr midday today, so they are obviously struggling.

torontoml

Six Dollars? Man I want to live where your theaters are. My closest option is cheap night and thats still 50 cents more than that, any regular night is like $12 just for the ticket.

Sadley though I'm in a town without a theater so I can't even watch it, hopefully I will be home when the Hobbit hits so I can see it in the theater. Whats the release date again?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Six Dollars? Man I want to live where your theaters are. My closest option is cheap night and thats still 50 cents more than that, any regular night is like $12 just for the ticket.

Sadley though I'm in a town without a theater so I can't even watch it, hopefully I will be home when the Hobbit hits so I can see it in the theater. Whats the release date again?
14th December 2012.

Worldwide premiere in New Zealand in November.

Mr Cola

cost me £9.50 for non premium seats, which is about $14, £15 for 3d films

Zebra

Hello folks, I have a question for those more knowledgeable in Middle Earth lore than I.

I just finished rereading The Hobbit in preparation for the film and I have a question. I'm not even sure if it could be considered spoilery, but just in case:

Did dwarves repopulate the mines of Moria after The Hobbit?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Hello folks, I have a question for those more knowledgeable in Middle Earth lore than I.

I just finished rereading The Hobbit in preparation for the film and I have a question. I'm not even sure if it could be considered spoilery, but just in case:

Did dwarves repopulate the mines of Moria after The Hobbit?
Yes, they had a small colony there with Balin as the leader. He also had the likes of Óin, Ori, Lóni, Náli, Flói and Frár with him. The place was overrun by Goblins however and Balin was killed near the Mirrormere lake near Khazad-dum, hence his memorial stone/grave in The Fellowship of the Ring.
you know whats great? The breaking of the fellowship, when that child starts singing i get chills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ9NOV3KNpY&feature=player_detailpage#t=318s
As always I prefer the Complete Recordings version with 'May it be' in the middle of these two tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySZgB9XZp9M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJqPFkTfxyo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llheNFxgRRw&feature=relmfu

As I've said before, the original soundtracks are completely obsolete. The Complete Recordings should have been the only release.

Mr Cola

Edmond Dantès;40120993 said:
Yes, they had a small colony there with Balin as the leader. He also had the likes of Óin, Ori, Lóni, Náli, Flói and Frár with him. The place was overrun by Goblins however and Balin was killed near the Mirrormere lake near Khazad-dum, hence his memorial stone/grave in The Fellowship of the Ring.

As always I prefer the Complete Recordings version with 'May it be' in the middle of these two tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySZgB9XZp9M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJqPFkTfxyo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llheNFxgRRw&feature=relmfu

As I've said before, the original soundtracks are completely obsolete. The Complete Recordings should have been the only release.

As a fan of lotr how do you top this? Even with the same crew involved how do you top that? Im sat here seriously thinking it was lightning in a bottle, i cant possibly comprehend how the hobbit can come close.

Loxley

As a fan of lotr how do you top this? Even with the same crew involved how do you top that? Im sat here seriously thinking it was lightning in a bottle, i cant possibly comprehend how the hobbit can come close.

Well, at least Shore is already off to a good start.

That's a fan re-creation of the music from The Hobbit trailer, but I think its a damn good one.

One interesting way that I think The Hobbit score will defer from the LotR music is that The Hobbit will likely have far character-sung tracks in it. I honestly can't wait to see the entire scene from the trailer where the company of dwarves begins to sing the Misty Mountains song in Bag End, that is just oozing with atmosphere.

That's a fan re-creation of the music from The Hobbit trailer, but I think its a damn good one.

One interesting way that I think The Hobbit score will defer from the LotR music is that The Hobbit will likely have far character-sung tracks in it. I honestly can't wait to see the entire scene from the trailer where the company of dwarves begins to sing the Misty Mountains song in Bag End, that is just oozing with atmosphere.

I'm so excited for the music of this movie. The music was arguably the best part of the lord of the rings trilogy. I can't wait to hear the rest of the music. the theme from the trailer was amazing already and I can't wait to hear the subtle variations that I'm sure we'll get about from music from the first films

Mr Cola

The music was the best part of the trailer hands down.

Zebra

Edmond Dantès;40120993 said:

Thank you! Very interesting.

Watching the Hobbit cartoon with my 8 year old right now (^____^)

I've only seen bits and pieces over the years

I remember LOTR cartoon being awful though

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Watching the Hobbit cartoon with my 8 year old right now (^____^)

I've only seen bits and pieces over the years

I remember LOTR cartoon being awful though
Regardless of the flaws that film has, it certainly has the definitive Gollum depiction which is truest to the source material.

DodgerSan

Reading books for pleasure is not something i grew up with, sad some might say, but i get a good high out of audiobooks as im usually off doing something and love listening to my ipod.

As long as the words get into your brain man, you do what's best for you.

Having said that, as much as I love audiobooks too, there are some books that should really be read. This is definitely one if those books.

GCX

That reminded me of the ROTK appendices, full of tears and memories.

Oh and some of those sets look just incredible.

xenist

Holy shit! Dale and Goblintown and shots from the Battle of the Five Armies and Beorn's house and I'm going to shit my pants. I can't take the wait.

And fucking stone giants? When I eventually see Smaug I'll have a stroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom