• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bregor

Riddles in the Dark seems like a scene that would work well in a film without much change.

No it wouldn't. In the book it has nine riddles with long pauses as each of them tries to think of the answer and the narrator tells you what is going on in their mind. The internal reasons why a riddle is easy or hard for them is a big part of the book, and would be very hard to convey on screen. And nine riddles with long pauses? Even if a modern audience would tolerate such a slow paced portion in the middle of the movie, PJ simply cannot afford to spend 30-45 mins on the sequence.

I predict fewer questions, with cuts away to imply that time has passed (while they think about it). The cuts away could be used to show what is happening to Gandalf and the dwarfs, or even better for flashbacks that would help us understand the thought process that leads Bilbo or Gollum to the answer.

No it wouldn't. In the book it has nine riddles with long pauses as each of them tries to think of the answer and the narrator tells you what is going on in their mind. The internal reasons why a riddle is easy or hard for them is a big part of the book, and would be very hard to convey on screen. And nine riddles with long pauses? Even if a modern audience would tolerate such a slow paced portion in the middle of the movie, PJ simply cannot afford to spend 30-45 mins on the sequence.

I predict fewer questions, with cuts away to imply that time has passed (while they think about it). The cuts away could be used to show what is happening to Gandalf and the dwarfs, or even better for flashbacks that would help us understand the thought process that leads Bilbo or Gollum to the answer.

Without much change is relative, I guess. I do expect cut aways to the other characters. It's a good possibility that they cut some of the riddles but I wouldn't be surprised if that scene was given priority and was allowed to stretch over a decent amount of time, at least in the extended edition. When I say without much change I guess I meant that the location, dialog and characters don't have to be altered, but you're right, without a narrator, the thought processes will likely not be made apparent.

GCX

Why have we heard little to nothing about Christopher Lee as Saruman? -_-
His scenes were shot in UK because he can't travel too much anymore. That's why he only appeared in the production video where Jackson and co. were filming in Pinewood Studios.

Edmond Dantès;40246162 said:
As well as the 70th anniversary edition hardback.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0618968636/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'd also recommend The Art of The Hobbit as an excellent companion piece to the novel.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0007440812/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://wayneandchristina.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/art-of-the-hobbit-packshot.jpg

Oh man, that art book looks AWESOME. And I will definitely have to pick up a copy of the 70th anniversary edition; it looks just like the book my mom read to me when I was a kid :)

And the movie comes out on my birthday :D What a treat!

Loxley

Oh man, that art book looks AWESOME. And I will definitely have to pick up a copy of the 70th anniversary edition; it looks just like the book my mom read to me when I was a kid :)

December 14th? If true then we share a birthday :D

epicbrofistffkgw.gif

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

epicbrofistffkgw.gif

12/14 is also my oldest son's bday. He's psyched that he's seeing The Hobbit on his bday.
Really can't think of better birthday present than watching the premiere of The Hobbit, well apart from going back in time and meeting the professor himself.

Edmond Dantès;40355948 said:
Think we have a good idea as to what the Blu-ray/DVD boxsets might look like.

itydpi2sg0PPS.jpg

Jeee-sus.

Shit like this makes the wait so hard. What with news of a potential third film this means we'll have to wait until around at least 2015 for that ultimate set with the entire series.

That box just looks like the two towers extended edition though.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Jeee-sus.

Shit like this makes the wait so hard. What with news of a potential third film this means we'll have to wait until around at least 2015 for that ultimate set with the entire series.

Yeah, the Ultimate extended pentalogy boxset + complete scores is going to be something special.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
On the subject of the music.

Doug Adams, Author of The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films.

41RvL4pURZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Has this to say about the score and trailer music.
Temporary music -- or a 'temp score' -- generally refers to music from various sources that is edited into an early version of a film to give directors, producers, composers, etc. a preliminary sense of musical direction, tone, and so on. For example, when Jackson showed off Hobbit footage at SDCC this past weekend, it included a temp score of Shore's LOTR music. It's deemed "temporary" because it is intended to be replaced down the line.

The music for the first Hobbit trailer isn't a temp score, per se, since it will not replaced at any point. (Obviously these scenes will scored properly as part of the narrative when they're placed in the final film, but in terms of the trailer's specific assembly of material, this is the final version.)

Instead, what you're hearing here is an original composition by Shore that was created specifically for the trailer. Part of the composition consists of a new theme that is presented in both vocal and orchestral settings. The remainder is made up of original music based on Shore's pre-existing LOTR themes, though specifically developed for this trailer. (You'll notice the timings are quite precise w/r/t themes -- Shire, History of the Rings, etc.)

The new theme is performed by live musicians while the recurring LOTR themes are performed by synthetic instruments. (Samplers, not synthesizers.) Perhaps the confusion in terminology stems from the use of these electronic instruments?

Btw, the final Hobbit scores will obviously be fully orchestral. The electronic interments were only used in a portion of the trailer music because it was being released so far ahead of the full recording sessions.

epicbrofistffkgw.gif

12/14 is also my oldest son's bday. He's psyched that he's seeing The Hobbit on his bday.

I'm another December 14th. Can't think of a better birthday present.

Holy moly! So many people who're gonna have a legendary b-day this year :p Hilariously, my cousin and I share a birthday as well (he is 5 years older than me).
It's also super badass because Dune also came out on Dec. 14, so it's awesome having two pinnacles of Sci-Fi & Fantasy having been released on the same day of the year!

And sorry about the movie-pride; most of my friends are getting tired of me being SO EXCITED, but my best friend is actually QUITE stoked and wants to go all out and make themed food and dress up and stuff. We usually do an all-day marathon with the extended LOTR movies anyway, so this'll just be a super bonus! *eeeeeeeeee*

Loxley

I've already made it abundantly clear to my girlfriend that, with or without her, I'm going to see The Hobbit on my birthday ;) Thankfully she's a Tolkien fan and wants to see it as well, so there was no real backlash. She's very much aware of how avidly I'm anticipating it.

Edmond Dantès;40403748 said:
AICN's Quint on The Hobbit 48fps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXZreSqE9bs&feature=youtu.be&t=4m50s

Doesn't seem overly positive.

Yeah but at the same time he never really says anything negative about it, and he says himself that he is a luddite when it comes to things like this. Interesting though what he said about all the theater owners loving it and getting the upgrade. Looks like we won't have to worry too much about finding a cinema with the 48fps version.

Loxley

He also says he saw it in a very raw format; just test footage.

It seems that almost no one has actually seen bits of The Hobbit at 48p and in 3D under optimal circumstances. I'll wait to hear impressions from people who have seen some of it the way the final film is meant to be seen.

Jeee-sus.

I'm not going to buy any of the Hobbit films on Blu Ray until I know what is happening regarding extended editions.

I remember being so disappointed buying the FOTR on DVD only to find a special feature on the EE which came out a few months later!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'm not going to buy any of the Hobbit films on Blu Ray until I know what is happening regarding extended editions.

I remember being so disappointed buying the FOTR on DVD only to find a special feature on the EE which came out a few months later!
Same with the scores. The standard LOTR scores just don't cut it.

I mean 'Lighting of the Beacons' for example wasn't even on the standard score release of ROTK, only on the Complete Recordings.

Hobbit Complete Recordings for me.

Just watched some archery in the Olympics, with their fancy composite bows and scopes and reticles and funky, twisty motion when they release the arrow.

And all I could think of was "Legolas would kick all your asses."

I ended up buying the Illustrated Edition and I just finished reading The Hobbit, again. I haven't read it in years. It's such a nice easy read and the illustrations were beautiful. I'm really looking forward to the films.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I ended up buying the Illustrated Edition and I just finished reading The Hobbit, again. I haven't read it in years. It's such a nice easy read and the illustrations were beautiful. I'm really looking forward to the films.
What are your highlights from the story, if you don't mind me asking.

I'll spoiler tag:

The Goblin caves chapters and the escape from the Wargs with the Eagles aid is my favorite part of the story. I also love the trek through Mirkwood forest, possibly the lowest point in the journey. I'm not a big fan of the how quickly everything happens in the Battle of Five Armies, though, especially considering the reader is only told of the how the victory occurred after the battle was over. Thorin's redemption and death is a special moment, though.

Also, Riddles in the Dark is always interesting when you consider how it fits into the story and how it's built into such a world changing event in the Lord of the Rings.

As I was reading this time I was kind thinking about how things would be done on film. There are a lot challenges.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'll spoiler tag:

The Goblin caves chapters and the escape from the Wargs with the Eagles aid is my favorite part of the story. I also love the trek through Mirkwood forest, possibly the lowest point in the journey. I'm not a big fan of the how quickly everything happens in the Battle of Five Armies, though, especially considering the reader is only told of the how the victory occurred after the battle was over.

As I was reading this time I was kind thinking about how things would be done on film. There are a lot challenges.
I'm sure Peter is going to expand the battle a lot, it'll be the piece de resistance of the
second film
. Though, it would be hilarious if he followed the book to the letter and have
Bilbo knocked unconscious and then immediately fade to black. The audience reaction after all the build-up and anticipation would be something to behold, especially from those unfamiliar with the story.

I actually want Peter to do that.

Then only have the
victory verbally explained without flashbacks?
That would definitely cause an interesting reaction, even if it is 100% faithful to the book.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Then only have the
victory verbally explained without flashbacks?
That would definitely cause an interesting reaction, even if it is 100% faithful to the book.
I think
verbally
would be a bit too much of tease. Just have the battle played out via
flashbacks
after Bilbo is
found
. But I think Peter will go all out and try to replicate the grandness of The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

aceface

You know, I first discovered The Hobbit on this crazy Apple IIe text adventure game I had as a kid. It would show pictures of the locations on the screen and you'd have to input text commands for Bilbo. The problem was that the game would never save correctly, so I'd have to restart from the beginning every single time. I remember one time I got to the Barrel part, after hours of playing. I was so happy. You would have to keep Thorin alive and Gandalf would come and go. They were both worthless though, when I got bored I would attack them with Sting. Thorin was easy to kill I think but Gandalf would usually kill me. Does anyone else have any memory of this? I'd love to play it agaIn.

Anyways, I got so annoyed with the game cause you couldn't save and I wanted to see what happened at the end, so I picked up my parents gold/boxed copy of the book they had got as a freebie from a book club. I was instantly hooked, I think I was 10 at the time. I since stole that book from my dad, it's the 50th anniversary edition, illustrated throughout witha special intro by Christopher Tolkien. Good stuff!

Edit: this is the edition: http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/dmiller/000847.htm

Loxley

I was browsing around the cool/interesting pics thread, and came across this:

s1urd.jpg

It's called the "Appennine Colossus", and apparently it's located in Italy. It caught my eye because it seemed very Middle-Earthish to me, and I really enjoy giant natural sculptures. I could almost picture the fellowship rowing across the water in front of it.

kharma45

damn, too slow to post :p

Well, I can't say no to more of Tolkien's world. I just hope Jackson isn't being too greedy with making a third.

Oh dear lord. I am worried about this.

I'm in favour of more material being shot, but I'm worried that the story of The Hobbit will be spread too thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom