• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
What?! They're gonna stretch this shit out over three movies now? Damn greed.

This guy is just insanely intent on milking the fuck out of Tolkien's work, isn't he?
It's not about greed or money, its about letting go of something dear to him.

He's clearly fallen in love with Middle-earth and is finding it difficult to let go.

I totally forgot this was going to be split. When (from the book) do you expect the first movie to end?
After they escape from Thranduil's Halls using the barrels with the Lonely Mountain looming in the distance.

Edmond Dantès;40218629 said:
After they escape from Thranduil's Halls using the barrels with the Lonely Mountain looming in the distance.

Yeah, this was confirmed as far as I can tell when that one large wallpaper ended with the barrel scene.

Gila

iZicyRPMKzUWY.gif

Well I'm delighted at the news that the possibility of a 3rd film is growing stronger. With the studio and the filmmakers wanting it, it seems to be just a matter of signup up the key actors for 2 months of shooting next summer and tidying up the legal/rights issues.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
irNeKCNRJK5va.jpg

Is that Beorn under the archway with the golden beard.

If the scroll recently revealed is anything to go by then Beorn will have blonde head/facial hair in human form.

Epix

So when this comes out this December and I want to see it in 48fps etc. etc. how will I know which theaters to go see it in? Will theaters be advertising as "48fps!!" or will they're be some kind of online database of compatiable theaters??

Loxley

Sorry in advance, if this is an inappropriate thread to ask this. I'm looking to buy a high quality reasonably priced hard back copy of the Hobbit. I'm looking on Amazon and I have my eye on this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0395873460/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any other suggestion or information about this particular edition would be helpful. Thanks.

You certainly can't go wrong with the Illustrated Edition, its a great choice. I would also recommend considering The Annotated Hobbit if you're curious at all to learn a bunch of interesting info about the book itself; including things like where Tolkien got his inspirations and ideas from while writing it.

The Amazon description sums it up nicely:

Newly expanded and completely redesigned, Douglas A. Anderson's The Annotated Hobbit is the definitive explication of the sources, characters, places, and things of J.R.R. Tolkien's timeless classic. Integrated with Anderson's notes and placed alongside the fully restored and corrected text of the original story are more than 150 illustrations showing visual interpretations of The Hobbit specific to many of the cultures that have come to know and love Tolkien's Middle-earth. Tolkien's original line drawings, maps and color paintings are also included, making this the most lavishly informative edition of The Hobbit available.

The Annotated Hobbit shows how Tolkien worked as a writer, what his influences and interests were, and how these relate to the invented world of Middle-earth. It gives a valuable overview of Tolkien's life and the publishing history of The Hobbit, and explains how every feature of The Hobbit fits within the rest of Tolkien's invented world. Here we learn how Gollum's character was revised to accommodate the true nature of the One Ring, and we can read the full text of The Quest of Erebor, Gandalf's explanation of how he came to send Bilbo Baggins on his journey with the dwarves. Anderson also makes meaningful and often surprising connections to our own world and literary history -- from Beowulf to The Marvellous Land of Snergs, from the Brothers Grimm to C. S. Lewis.

So when this comes out this December and I want to see it in 48fps etc. etc. how will I know which theaters to go see it in? Will theaters be advertising as "48fps!!" or will they're be some kind of online database of compatiable theaters??

Bit too early to know, I'm sure it will be much clearer by about November.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Sorry in advance, if this is an inappropriate thread to ask this. I'm looking to buy a high quality reasonably priced hard back copy of the Hobbit. I'm looking on Amazon and I have my eye on this:

Any other suggestion or information about this particular edition would be helpful. Thanks.
Not inappropriate at all as this pretty much is the de facto Tolkien thread.

That's one of the finest hardbacks available as it features the brilliant art work of Alan Lee. Highly recommended.

As for other suggestions, the annotated Hobbit is a very good edition to own.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0618134700/?tag=neogaf0e-20

As well as the 70th anniversary edition hardback.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0618968636/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'd also recommend The Art of The Hobbit as an excellent companion piece to the novel.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0007440812/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://wayneandchristina.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/art-of-the-hobbit-packshot.jpg

You certainly can't go wrong with the Illustrated Edition, its a great choice. I would also recommend considering The Annotated Hobbit if you're curious at all to learn a bunch of interesting info about the book itself; including things like where Tolkien got his inspirations and ideas from while writing it.

The Amazon description sums it up nicely:

Edmond Dantès;40246162 said:
Not inappropriate at all as this pretty much is the de facto Tolkien thread.

That's one of the finest hardbacks available as it features the brilliant art work of Alan Lee. Highly recommended.

As for other suggestions, the annotated Hobbit is a very good edition to own.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0618134700/?tag=neogaf0e-20

As well as the 70th anniversary edition hardback.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0618968636/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks a lot, guys. I think I'll probably go with the Illustrated edition but the Annotated Hobbit sounds very appealing as well.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
New stills and the cover of Empire's Hobbit edition magazine.

iMem0tilsae8D.jpg

i20tuzkAz2e07.jpg

ixIxROBYupllA.jpg

I'm really looking forward to seeing these two acting out the most iconic chapter in the book.

Do we know where the first Hobbit movie will end? If I had to guess, I'd imagine
the escape from the goblins is the most likely spot. Seems like a good climax and everyone wants to see Bilbo find and use the ring.

I don't know how spoilers are being handled here. It seems weird but I'm sure there are some people that aren't familiar with the story.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Do we know where the first Hobbit movie will end? If I had to guess, I'd imagine
the escape from the goblins is the most likely spot. Seems like a good climax and everyone wants to see Bilbo find and use the ring.

I don't know how spoilers are being handled here. It seems weird but I'm sure there are some people that aren't familiar with the story.
Best practice is to spoiler stuff from the book, stuff not mentioned in the book and inferred from Tolkien's other works is okay.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
A more thorough list of what could be used from the appendices.

Appendix A, I, iii:

• “beyond the Lune was Elvish country, green and quiet, where no Men went; but Dwarves dwelt, and still dwell, in the east side of the Blue Mountains…where they have mines that are still in use. For this reason, they were accustomed to pass east along the Great Road, as they had done for long years before we came to the Shire.”
  • “It was in the beginning of the reign of Marvegil of Arthedain that evil came to Arnor…realm of Angmar…the lord of that land was known as the Witch-king…”
  • “Arveleg son of Argeleb, with the help of Cardolan and Lindon, drove back his enemies from the Hills…it is said that at this time, Rivendell was besieged…It is said that Angmar was for a time subdued by the Elvenfolk coming from Lindon; and from Rivendell, for Elrond brought help over the mountains out of Lorien…”

Appendix A, I, iv:

• “For a while Arvedui hid in the tunnels of the old-dwarf mines near the far end of the Mountains…”
  • “…others went also to the battle in which Angmar was overthrown.”
  • “Then Cirdan summoned all all who would come to him, from Lindon or Arnor, and when all was ready the host crossed the Lune and marched north to challenge the Witch-King…Then so utterly was Angmar defeated…”
  • “But Glorfindel rode up then on his white horse, and in the midst of his laughter the Witch-king turned to flight and passed into the shadows...none saw whither he went…”Do not pursue him! He will not return to this land. Far off yet is his doom, and not by the hand of man will he fall.”
  • “It was thus in the reign of King Earnil…that the Witch-king escaping from the North came to Mordor…and there gathered the other Ringwraiths…”
  • “It was in the days of Beregond that the War of the Dwarves and Orcs was fought in the Misty Mountains (2793-9).”

Appendix A, III: Durin’s Folk

• “Concerning the beginning of the Dwarves strange tales are told both by the Eldar and by the Dwarves themselves…Durin is the name that the Dwarves used for the eldest of the Seven Fathers…He slept alone, until in the deeps of time and the awakening of that people he came to Azanulbizar, and in the caves of Kheled-zaram in the east of the Misty Mountains he made his dwelling, where afterwards were the Mines of Moria renowned in song…but his line never failed, and five times an heir was born in his House so like to his Forefather that he received the name of Durin. He was indeed held by the Dwarves to be the Deathless that returned; for they have many strange tales and beliefs concerning themselves and their fate in the world.”
  • “The power of Sauron…was then again growing in the world…The Dwarves delved deep at that time, seeking beneath Barazinbar for mithril…thus they roused from sleep a thing of terror…”
  • “Most of those that escaped made their way into the North, and Thrain I, Nain’s son, came to Erebor, the Lonely Mountain, near the eastern eaves of Mirkwood, and there he began new works, and became King under the Mountain. In Erebor, he found the great jewel, the Arkenstone, Heart of the Mountain. But Thorin I his son removed and went into the far North to the Greay Mountains, where most of Durin’s folk were not gathering; for those mountains were rich and little explored. But there were dragons in the wastes beyond; and after many years they became strong again and multiplied, and they made war on the Dwarves, and plundered their works. At last Dain I, together with Fror his second son, was slain at the doors of his hall by a great cold-drake.”
  • “To the Great Halls of Thrain, Thror brought back the Arkenstone, and he and his folk prospered and became rich, and they had the friendship of all men that dwelt near…and their was great traffic of ore between them and their kin in the Iron Hills. Thus the Northmen who lived between Celduin…and Carnen…became strong and drove out all enemies from the East; and the Dwarves lived in plenty, and there was feasting and song in the Halls of Erebor.”
  • “So the rumour of the wealth of Erebor spread abroad and reached the ears of the dragons…Smaug the Golden…descended on the Mountains in flames.”
  • “From the sack and burning many of Thror’s kin escaped; and last of all from the halls by a secret door came Thror himself and his son Thrain II. They went away south with their family into long and homeless wandering. With them went also a small company of their kinsmen and faithful followers.”
  • “Years afterwards Thror, now old and poor, and desperate, gave to his son Thrain the one great treasure he still possessed, the last of the Seven Rings, and then he went away with one old companion only, called Nar. Of the Ring he said to Thrain at their parting:

• ‘This may prove the foundation of new fortune for you yet, though that seems unlikely. But it needs gold to breed gold.’

• ‘Surely you do not think of returning to Erebor?’ said Thrain.

• ‘Not at my age,’ said Thror. ‘Our vengeance on Smaug I bequeath to you and your sons. But I am tired of poverty and the scorn of Men. I go to see what I can find.’ He did not say where.”
  • “He was a little crazed perhaps with age and misfortune and long brooding on the splendour of Moria…or the Ring, it may be, was turning to evil now that its master was awake, driving him to folly and destruction. From Dunland, where he was then dwelling, he went north with Nar, and they crossed the Redhorn Pass and came down into Azanulbizar.”
  • “When Thror came to Moria the Gate was open. Nar begged him to beware, but he took no heed of him, and walked proudly in as an heir that returns. But he did not come back. Nar stayed near by for many days in hiding. One day he heard a loud shout and the blare of a horn, and a body was flung out on the steps. Fearing that it was Thror, he began to creep near, but there came a voice from within the gate:

• ‘Come on, beardling! We can see you. But there is no need to be afraid today. We need you as a messenger.’

• Then Nar came up, and found that it was indeed the body of Thror, but the head was severed and lay face downwards. As he knelt there, he heard orc-laughter in the shadows, and the voice said:

• ‘If beggars will not wait at the door, but sneak in to try thieving, that is what we do to them. If any of your people poke their foul beards in here again, they will fare the same. Go and tell them so! But if his family wish to know who is now king here, the name is written on his face. I wrote it! I killed him! I am master!’

• Then Nar turned the head and saw branded on the brow in Dwarfrunes so that he could read it the name of AZOG…Nar stooped to take the head, but the voice of Azog said:
  • “Drop it! Be off! Here’s your fee, beggar-beard.’ A small bag struck him. It held a few coins of little worth.
  • Weeping, Nar fled down the Silverlode; but he looked back once and saw that Orcs had come from the gate and were hacking up the body and flinging the pieces to the black crows.”
  • “Such was the tale that Nar brought back to Thrain; and when he has wept and torn his beard he fell silent….Then he stood up and said ‘This cannot be borne!’ That was the beginning of the War of the Dwarves and the Orcs, which was long and deadly, and fought for the most part in deep places beneath the earth.”
  • “Thrain…sent messengers…north, east, and west…Durin’s folk gathered all their host, and they were joined by great forces sent from the Houses of other Fathers; for this dishonour to the heir of the Eldest of their race filled them with wrath…they assailed and sacked…all the strongholds of the Orcs…from Gundabad to Gladden…they hunted for Azog in every den under mountain.
  • “…the Dwarf-host in pursuit came to Azanulbizar...When the Dwarves saw the gate of their ancient mansions upon the hill-side they sent up a great shout like thunder in the valley…out of the gates poured a multitude of Orcs…”
  • “At first fortune was against the Dwarves; for it was a dark day of winter without sun, and the Orcs did not waver, and they outnumbered their enemies, and had the higher ground. So began the Battle of Azanulbizar…at the memory of which the Orcs still shudder, and the Dwarves weep…Thrain was driven into a wood of great trees…There Frerin his son fell, and Fundin his kinsman…and both Thrain and Thorin were wounded…at last the people of the Iron Hills turned the day. Coming late and fresh to the field the mailed warriors of Nain, Gror’s son, drove through the Orcs to the very threshold of Moria, crying ‘Azog! Azog!’ as they hewed down with their mattocks all who stood in their way.”
  • “…Nain… ‘Azog! If you are in, come out! Or is the play in the valley too rough?’”
  • “Thereupon Azog came forth, and he was a great Orc with a huge iron-clad head, and yet agile and strong. With him came many like him, the fighters of his guard…he turned to Nain, and said:

• ‘What? Yet another beggar at my doors? Must I brand you too?’ With that he rushed at Nain…Azog with a swift swing hewed his neck…”

• “Then Azog laughed…let forth a great yell of triumph; but the cry died in his throat…Up the steps after him leaped a Dwarf with a red axe. It was Dain Ironfoot, Nain’s son.
  • "Right before the doors he caught Azog, and there he slew him, and hewed off his head. That was held a great feat, for Dain was only then a stripling in the reckoning of the Dwarves...Yet hardy and full of wrath as he was, it is said that when he came down from the Gate he looked grey in the face, as one who has felt great fear."…”
  • “They took the head of Azog and thrust into its mouth the purse of small money, and then set it on a stake.”
  • “…in the morning Thrain stood before them. He had one eye blinded beyond cure, and he was halt with a leg-wound; but he said: ‘Good! We have the victory. Khazad-dum is ours!’

• “But they answered: ‘Durin’s Heir, you may be, but even with one eye you should see clearer. We fought this war for vengeance, and vengeance we have taken. But it is not sweet. If this is victory, then our hands are too small to hold it.”
  • "And those who were not of Durin's folk said also: 'Khazad-dum was not our father's house. What is it to us, unless a hope of treasure? But now, if we must go without the rewards and the weregilds that are owed to us, the sooner we return to our own lands the better pleased we shall be."

• “Then Thrain turned to Dain, and said: ‘But surely my own kin will not desert me?’ 'No,' said Dain. You are the father of our Folk, and we have bled for you, and will again. But we will not enter Khazad-dum. Only I have looked through the shadow of the gate. Beyond the shadow it waits for you still: Durin's Bane. The world must change and some other power than ours must come before Durin's Folk walk again in Moria."
  • "So it was that after Azanulbizar the Dwarves dispersed again. But first with great labour they stripped all their dead, so that Orcs should not come and win there a store of weapons and mail. It is said that every dwarf that went from the battlefield was bowed under a heavy burden. Then they built many pyres and burned all the bodies of their kin. There was a great felling of trees in the valley, which remained bate very after, and the reek of the burning was seen in Lorien."
  • “Then standing by the great stake, Thrain said to Thorin Oakenshield: ‘Some would think this head dearly bought! At least we have given our kingdom for it. Will you come with me back to the anvil? Or will you beg your bread at proud doors?”

• ‘To the anvil,’ answered Thorin. ‘The hammer will at least keep the arms strong, until they can wield sharper tools again.’
  • “So Thrain and Thorin with what remained of their following (among whom were Balin and Gloin) returned to Dunland, and soon afterwards they removed and wandered in Eriador, until at last they made a home in exile in the east of the Ered Luin beyond the Lune. Of iron were most of the things that they forged in those days, but they prospered after a fashion…”
  • “But as Thror had said, the Ring needed gold to breed gold, and of that or any other precious metal they had little or none.”
  • “It was therefore perhaps by the malice of the Ring that Thrain after some years became restless and discontented. The lust for gold was ever in his mind. At last, when he could endure it no longer, he turned his thoughts to Erebor, and resolved to go back there. He said nothing to Thorin of what was in his heart; but with Balin and Dwalin and a few others, he arose and said farewell and departed.”
  • “There came a dark night when he and his companions were wandering in the land beyond Anduin, and they were driven by a black rain to take shelter under the eaves of Mirkwood. In the morning, he was gone from the camp, and his companions called him in vain…Only long after was it learned that Thrain had been taken alive and brought to the pits of Dol Guldur. There he was tormented and the Ring taken from him, and there at last he died.”
  • “So Thorin Oakenshield became the Heir of Durin, but an heir without hope…Now they had fair halls in the mountains, and store of goods, and their days did not seem so hard, though in theor songs they spoke ever of the Lonely Mountain far away.”
  • “The years lengthened. The embers in the heart of Thorin grew hot again…”
  • “But at last there came about by chance a meeting between Gandalf and Thorin that changed all the fortunes of the House of Durin…stayed at Bree for a night. There Gandalf was also. He was on his way to the Shire…”
  • “Among many cares he was troubled in mind by the perlious state of the North; because he knew then already that Sauron was plotting war, and intended…to attack Rivendell. But to resist any attempt from the East to regain the lands of Angmar and the northern passes in the mountains were now only the Dwarves of the Iron Hills. And beyond them lay the desolation of the Dragon. The Dragon Sauron might use with terrible effect. How then could the end of Smaug be achieved?
  • “…Thorin stood before him, and said: ‘Master Gandalf, I know you only by sight, but now I should be glad to speak with you. For you have often come into my thoughts of late, as if I were bidden to seek you…”

• ‘That is strange, Thorin Oakenshield,’ he said. ‘For I have thought of you also; and though I am on my way to the Shire, it was in my mind that is the way also to your halls.’

• ‘Call them so, if you will…They are only poor lodgings in exile. But you would be welcome there, if you would come….”

• ‘I will come…for I guess that we share one trouble at least. The Dragon of Erebor is on my mind, and I do not think that he will be forgotten by the grandson of Thror.’
  • “In the late summer of that same year (2941) Gandalf had at last prevailed upon Saruman and the White Council to attack Dol Guldur…”
  • “Dis was the daughter of Thrain II. She is the only dwarf-woman named in these histories."
Appendix B: Material potentially relevant to the Hobbit films, that is not explicitly covered in Appendix A, in the Hobbit, or in the main narrative of the Lord of the Rings

The Third Age
  • "c. 1100: The Wise (the Istari and the chief Eldar) discover that an evil power has made a stronghold at Dol Guldur. It is though to be one of the Nazgul."
  • "c. 1300: Evil things begin to multiply...Orcs increase in the Misty Mountains and attack the Dwarves. The Nazgul reappear..."
  • "1975: ....The Witch-king defeated...He vanished from the North."
  • "1980: ...A Balrog appears in Moria, and slays Durin VI."
  • "2063: Gandalf goes to Dol Guldur. Sauron retreats...The Nazgul remain quiet in Minas Morgul."
  • "2210: Thorin I leaves Erebor, and goes north to the Grey Mountains, where...Durin's Folk are now gathering."
  • "2460: The Watchful Peace ends. Sauron returns with increased strength to Dol Guldur."
  • "2463: The White Council is formed..."
  • "2480: Orcs begin to make secret strongholds in the Misty Mountains...Sauron begins to people Moria with his creatures."
  • "2850: Gandalf again enters Dol Guldur, and discovers that its master is indeed Sauron, who is gathering all the Rings and seeking for news of the One, and of Isildur's Heir. He finds Thrain, and receives the key of Erebor. Thrain dies in Dol Guldur."
  • "2851: The White Council meets. Gandalf urges an attack on Dol Guldur. Saruman overrules him. Saruman begins to search near the Gladden Fields."
  • "2939: Saruman discovers that Sauron's servants are searching the Anduin...Sauron therefore has learned of Isildur's end. He is alarmed, but says nothing to the Council."

There is material in the appendices regarding Aragorn's exploits in Rohan with Thengal and in Gondor with the Ecthelion the Steward.

Just did a quick flip through the appendices

Bridging material could be something like this.

The Hobbit ends year 2949 of Third Age

2951 Sauron rebuilds Barad-dur, Elrond reveals to Aragorn his true heritage, he meets Arwen for first time

2953 Last Council of the White, Saruman convinces them that the one ring is now lost to the sea. Saruman takes possession of Isengard and begins to encroach on Rohan.

2954 Mount Doom becomes active again

2956 Aragorn and Gandalf meet

2957 - 80 Aragorn serves Thengel of Rohan and Ecthelion of Gondor under the assumed identity of Thorongil. Aragorn always councils the two leaders to seek Gandalf's advice, not Saruman's. Later Denethor feels threatened by Aragorn and his relationship with his Dad.

2980 Aragorn meets Arwen in Lorien and they fall in love.

2989 Balin leaves Erebor and enters Moria

3001 Bilbo's feast -start of Fellowship of the Ring

I assume they would cast a younger actor for Aragorn.

Bregor

Given the fact that PJ has made it clear he will not show us anything yet from movie 2, and what we have seen in the production diaries, it seems clear that the split will occur
immediately after the barrel ride to Lake Town.

Vestal

This one http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hobbit-j-r-r-tolkien/1100068700

Its the one I have and it is a great hardcover book..

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Given the fact that PJ has made it clear he will not show us anything yet from movie 2, and what we have seen in the production diaries, it seems clear that the split will occur
immediately after the barrel ride to Lake Town.
Yeah, that recent scroll is the best indication that the film ends at that point.

In case anyone missed it.

http://img2-2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/07/09/the-hobbit-scroll/HOBBIT-SCROLL_6000.jpg
http://cinescopia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/noticia-hobbit-imagen-panoramica-principal00.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Out of these three options.

Three options seem most viable:
1) Shorten 1 and 2 to give content to 3
2) Flesh out 2 and 3 with history to give depth to armed conflict
3) End “The Hobbit” with 2 films and create the once imagined bridge film

I would take option 3 so as not to jeopardize Bilbo's adventure.

Although, option 1 seems viable. Three 2 hour films. The Hobbit plus appendices told via 6 hours, instead of The Hobbit told via 5 hours.

I can see them stretching out or fleshing out the
Smaug sections for part 2 and focusing on the Battle of Five Armies
for Part 3, if they decided to keep everything during the events of the book.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I can see them stretching out or fleshing out the
Smaug sections for part 2 and focusing on the Battle of Five Armies
for Part 3, if they decided to keep everything during the events of the book.
Yeah, I'm guessing that they think Smaug's
role is rather paltry and they should keep his character around longer
, but frankly it was never really about him or any other antagonists. It was always about Bilbo's journey and his development as a character.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Off topic.

I've always found Sauron's development interesting.

From the earlier concepts found in the abandoned Lost Tales to the early incarnation and the first inkling that Sauron would be subservient to Melkor right through to the first drafts of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Tu/Fangli ==> Tevildo Lord of Cats ==> Thu the Necromancer ==> Mairon/Sauron the Great/Annatar/Lord of Werewolves/Gorthaur the Cruel.

A character Tolkien spent much time developing, yet his dialogue throughout the legendarium covers only a page if collected together.

Tevildo sounded awesome though, kind of like Behemoth from The Master and Margarita.

the-master-and-margarita.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I still wonder what Gandalf is doing in that scene and where he is.

His movement is reminiscent of the weakening of The Bridge of Khazad-dum. Could it be a threat to The Nercomancer or the clearing of a path of some kind, or even warding off Necro's minions in Dol Guldur.

Whatever the case may be, it seems Gandalf the Grey will have plenty of occasions to exhibit his wizardly skills.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;40317511 said:

His movement is reminiscent of the weakening of The Bridge of Khazad-dum. Could it be a threat to The Nercomancer or the clearing of a path of some kind, or even warding off Necro's minions in Dol Guldur.

Whatever the case may be, it seems Gandalf the Grey will have plenty of occasions to exhibit his wizardly skills.

I've been assuming it's the
"Dawn take you all, and be stone to you!"
part. My guess is they just chose to make a even more dramatic by having Gandalf actually assist dawn break through the forest.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I've been assuming it's the
"Dawn take you all, and be stone to you!"
part. My guess is they just chose to make a even more dramatic by having Gandalf actually asist dawn breaking through the forest.
Makes perfect sense.

Also, kind of links him to another Maia; Arien who was the guardian of the sun.

iZOX80b695xID.jpg

Lamel

Banned
Where is this new footage everyone is talking of?

Is it a new trailer?

Edit: Nevermind I read a few posts up!

raphier

Banned
Edmond Dantès;40317511 said:

That scene reminds me exactly of the part in Hobbit animation film where he appears to turn trolls to stone.

http://youtu.be/X_HbDM6kOJY?t=13m34s

Loxley

Are these guys generally considered book purists?

A couple of them are sticklers for small details, but overall they're not purists in the sense that they hate the films and love the books. TheOneRing.net staff have always been able to look at the films as a completely separate entity from the books, and judge them on their own merits. Thankfully.

Riddles in the Dark seems like a scene that would work well in a film without much change. I'm curious about how they plan on handling all of the singing. I feel like those scenes would feel the most out of place in one of these films.

I honestly haven't been following the production all that closely so they may have already addressed that.

ascii42

Riddles in the Dark seems like a scene that would work well in a film without much change. I'm curious about how they plan on handling all of the singing. I feel like those scenes would feel the most out of place in one of these films.

I honestly haven't been following the production all that closely so they may have already addressed that.

I had the same the same thoughts with the LotR trilogy, but they managed to incorporate quite a lot of songs without it seeming too out of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom