• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
OuterWorldVoice said:
Which is more epic, a slightly irritated sky-eye that probably could have been defeated with Visine, or the largest, most ferocious dragon in the history of Middle Earth, swooping down, destroying entire towns and glassing mountains?
Ancalagon was the mightiest of the dragons not Smaug. Plus Sauron was second only to Morgoth and with the ring, he may have been even more powerful than Morgoth. Considering Morgoth squandered most of his might during the first age battles with the Elves.

GhaleonEB

PhoenixDark said:
Depends. The book isn't action packed, and is more heavy on adventure; it'll have more action than the first LOTR film though.

But if Jackson decided to turn this into LOTR 2.0 all bets are off, and it could be very action packed
I'm a little nervous that Jackson and company will select an action sequence or two and blow it out of proportion to compensate, Helms Deep-style.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm a little nervous that Jackson and company will select an action sequence or two and blow it out of proportion to compensate, Helms Deep-style.
I'm pretty certain that's guaranteed to happen.

What worries me is just how in the hell they'll handle such a radically different mood. Any Tolkien fan knows (as I'm pretty sure most here are) - the Lord of the Rings this isn't. People expecting your standard prequel to a series they know and love will be in for some surprises ahead ;P

Retro

NullPointer said:
I'm pretty certain that's guaranteed to happen.

What worries me is just how in the hell they'll handle such a radically different mood. Any Tolkien fan knows (as I'm pretty sure most here are) - the Lord of the Rings this isn't. People expecting your standard prequel to a series they know and love will be in for some surprises ahead ;P

To be fair though, there are some pretty narrow escapes and sticky situations in the Hobbit;
Escape from the Goblin Caves, The Spiders of Mirkwood and the Battle of the Five Armies, not to mention the sequence with Smaug attacking Laketown.
I don't think these will be handled in quite the same way as in Helm's Deep because
the first is primarily Gandalf, then Gandalf and Thorin holding the goblins back
, the second is
Bilbo alone fighting spiders
and the third is
Yeah, probably going to be a LotR-esque big ass battle

There might also be some stuff at Dol Guldur if they sneak some White Council stuff in there. That reminds me, is this still two movies or did they decide to make just one?

I think The Hobbit has plenty of smaller action scenes to make up for the need for one or two big ones...but since they are making two movies I suppose they will have to artificially inflate one into a climax for the first movie. Speaking of which, I wonder where the first film will end? I think it will be when the group is captured by the Elves in Mirkwood.

womp

Should be interesting to see how they match up the three trolls from the extended edition of Fellowship....Since their 'demise' is from the early part of The Hobbit. ;)

zkcM8.jpg

It was a cool cameo.

Aaron

GhaleonEB said:
Except the Battle of Five Armies makes Helm's Deep look like a bar brawl. This series will have its epic beyond epicness battle in the end no matter what.

Retro

MadraptorMan said:
Speaking of which, I wonder where the first film will end? I think it will be when the group is captured by the Elves in Mirkwood.

Spoilers (Obviously):

I think it will close with a crane shot of Bilbo and company heading into Mirkwood with the camera lifting up over the tree tops to show the endless forest sprawling out to the horizon with maybe a glimpse of the Lonely Mountain barely visible through the mists.

That way, you have a nice rhythm; Lull (Shire) > Danger (Trolls) > Lull (Rivendell) > Danger (Goblins) > Lull (The Riddle Game) > Danger (Goblins and Wolves) > Lull (Beorn) > End.

The second film picks up with Lull (Mirkwood) > Danger (Spiders) > Lull (Elves, escape, Laketown) > Danger (Smaug) > Lull (post-smaug banter and exploring) > Danger (Battle of the Five Armies) > Lull (Everyone goes home).

The group will have just said goodbye to Gandalf, which is fitting for an ending as well. You also don't get to see Smaug, so he's looming off on the horizon (not literally).

Retro said:
Spoilers (Obviously):

I think it will close with a crane shot of Bilbo and company heading into Mirkwood with the camera lifting up over the tree tops to show the endless forest sprawling out to the horizon with maybe a glimpse of the Lonely Mountain barely visible through the mists.

That way, you have a nice rhythm; Lull (Shire) > Danger (Trolls) > Lull (Rivendell) > Danger (Trolls) > Lull (The Riddle Game) > Danger (Trolls and Wolves) > Lull (Beorn) > End.

The second film picks up with Lull (Mirkwood) > Danger (Spiders) > Lull (Elves, escape, Laketown) > Danger (Smaug) > Lull (post-smaug banter and exploring) > Danger (Battle of the Five Armies) > Lull (Everyone goes home).

The group will have just said goodbye to Gandalf, which is fitting for an ending as well. You also don't get to see Smaug, so he's looming off on the horizon (not literally).

As far as I know, and maybe this has changed, the first film is material from the Hobbit and the second is about where Gandalf went during his absences in the Hobbit and in Fellowship of the Ring, the Necromancer, and other things hinted about but never elaborated upon (i.e. new storylines).

Retro

Kilgore Trout said:
As far as I know, and maybe this has changed, the first film is material from the Hobbit and the second is about where Gandalf went during his absences in the Hobbit and in Fellowship of the Ring, the Necromancer, and other things hinted about but never elaborated upon (i.e. new storylines).

I figured they would integrate it into the overall plot during lulls in the Bilbo side of things;

- Introduced at Rivendell.
- That puts it firmly in place in the first movie.
- Introduces all the primary members of the White Council​
- Mentioned during the Beorn sequence.
- Just before the end of the first movie.
- Doesn't occur in the books, and I don't think Gandalf would outright ask.
- When Bilbo and the Dwarves are wandering in Mirkwood.
- Cut back for the Spiders and Elves sequence.
- Bilbo and Company are just walking in an endless forest anyways.​
- When Bilbo is sneaking around the Elven Kingdom.
- Cut back for the escape.
- Again, Bilbo spends something like a few weeks finding everyone and planning the escape.​
- In Laketown when Bilbo and company are recuperating.
- Cut back for the Lonely Mountain / Smaug scenes.
- Again, I think they spend something like a week in Laketown.
- They could also cut away from the Dwarves between Bilbo's two encounters with Smaug.​
- While Bilbo and Company are preparing to fight after Smaug is killed.
- Cut back and forth while both sides muster.​

- Both lines merge when Gandalf shows up for the Battle of the Five Armies.

- White Council stuff can be resolved while they're journeying home, and stop at Rivendell, ominously framing the LotR movies by saying "It really was Sauron, he fled to Mordor, we know he is a threat and knows we know he is still around, the real war is to come...etc."
- Bilbo gets home, the end.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Retro said:
That way, you have a nice rhythm; Lull (Shire) > Danger (Trolls) > Lull (Rivendell) > Danger (Trolls) > Lull (The Riddle Game) > Danger (Trolls and Wolves) > Lull (Beorn) > End.

Man put that way, the second film really has all of the big crazy set pieces in it, doesn't it. It almost feels like Smaug and the Five Armies should be the ending conflicts of two separate films.

Not bad...I guess I just thought having everyone captured by the Elves would be a good cliffhanger or whatever, and leave the second film with more time for Smaug and the epic battle.

Retro

Tathanen said:
Man put that way, the second film really has all of the big crazy set pieces in it, doesn't it. It almost feels like Smaug and the Five Armies should be the ending conflicts of two separate films.

It does, yes, not to mention the Spiders (which is when Bilbo finally becomes a proper Burglar).

However, look at Fellowship. It pretty much has Moria and the final sequence at the Falls of Rauros. The Two Towers is pretty much ALL building up to Helm's Deep. Return is pretty much the build up to Pelanor Fields and Mordor sequences. So the first film has two decent fights, but not HUGE BATTLES.

For the first Hobbit, you'll have Trolls (probably a short sequence and probably light-hearted) and the Goblin Caves (a pretty big sequence for action, maybe not quote Moria-levels but pretty good). I would say those are pretty decent fights.

They might also sneak in a sequence showing what Gandalf and the Dwarves are doing while Bilbo is knocked out or riddling with Gollum. In the books, the chapter ends when Bilbo blacks out, but in the movie they could keep following the dwarves' escape and then end on a note like "Wait... where's Bilbo?!" and then cut to him waking up. That way, the Goblin Caves scene doesn't end so abruptly and can be fleshed out into a proper action sequence (since Gandalf and the dwarves have to fight their way out the back door).

The Wolves and Goblins won't be much of a 'fight' but it's probably going to be a tense moment until the Eagles show up.

As for Smaug... he smashes up the mountain and burns Laketown, but that's not going to be a huge battle or fight... just a lot of disaster and one really lucky shot. Have they said who's playing Bard yet?

WHY THE FUCK DO I KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT THIS?! God, how much time and brain did I waste memorizing everything in Tolkien's world...?

GhaleonEB said:

Yup. The Hobbit certainly has some big action scenes, but overall it's a whimsical adventure story with none of the foreboding or loss of innocence seen in LOTR. Some guys go on an adventure and get rich basically.

Given all the money and technology involved, I'm definitely worried Jackson will bloat this. In a sense the process has already started, considering they're turning a simple, relatively small book into two films that will probably be 2.5 hours long.

I should trust Jackson by now, but I'm still worried.

Retro

MadraptorMan said:
Not bad...I guess I just thought having everyone captured by the Elves would be a good cliffhanger or whatever, and leave the second film with more time for Smaug and the epic battle.

That's a good point, but none of the Lord of the Rings movies ended on cliffhangers, they ended on ominous, gloomy... almost depressing notes;
- Sam and Frodo set off alone with Mordor looming on the horizon.
- Aragorn and Company setting off after Merry and Pippin (not handled as gloomily though).

- Gollum's dialogue about leading Sam and Frodo to their doom.
- Gandalf's line about the battle having just begun.​

So, no real cliffhangers, just sort of brooding on what will happen next. I think sneaking the Spiders and Elves into the first movie, while breaking up the bigger sequences, puts too much of the overall story in the first film.

Plus, at the entry to Mirkwood, Bilbo has earned the Dwarves respect by sneaking away from the Goblins, but is still very much a meek little hobbit. If you put the spider sequence into the first movie and end it with their capture, it ends with Bilbo's major character transformation 'revving things up' and getting the audience all excited and cheering for Bilbo the Burglar, then the movie stalls out 10 seconds later. I think the pacing is all wrong and it's better to end on an ominous note; they've escaped the Goblins, but now Gandalf is suddenly gone again and they're knowingly heading into danger for the first time, alone.

They head into the Misty Mountains with Gandalf, and no idea what to expect (the Goblins take them by surprise, remember).

Morn said:
They already said Bilbo won't be knocked out in the movie.

Ah, I hadn't heard that. Either way, he does get separated, so my idea does work; they can keep following the Dwarves and their escape and then cut back to Bilbo when they realize he's gone. Whether he's knocked out or he just tumbles down a hole or something, the story has to separate them and that's a point where Jackson can slip more action in so the two movies aren't lopsided.

Edit: I killed this thread with my rambling, just like the old Batman 3 thread...

Kraftwerk said:
Just saw the video, and like many others here I got very emotional. "sniff"
Same... It was just surreal seeing PJ and some of the LotR cast together again. I love that these videos will be coming out showing parts of production. :D

I just finished up a re-read of the Hobbit last night, and its got me a little worried for the movies. Its not the change of tone that worries me so much as how much of the story's highpoint are ones we already experienced in LOTR.

We start in the Shire. Gandalf calling a Hobbit to adventure outside the known. Into the wilds. Trek to Rivendell. Crossing a dangerous pass in the mountains during a storm. Fighting off a goblin attack in the caves. Crossing into an ancient and wild forest. Attacked by spiders. Captured at bowpoint by elves and brought to the King. Later, a King returns (to the lonely mountain), we witness the grandeur of a lost Dwarven city, now filled with skeletons and dust. Pitched battle against overwhelming odds from a defended mountain fortress. When hope seems lost, the Eagles appear. A Hobbit is recognized as hero by the great leaders, and returns home to write his book.

Of course there is plenty else to be excited about in the story, but those highpoints might seem a bit too much like Deja Vu. Here's hoping PJ can shine a light on these events in a wholly different way.

agrajag

Banned
Edmond Dantès said:
Ancalagon was the mightiest of the dragons not Smaug. Plus Sauron was second only to Morgoth and with the ring, he may have been even more powerful than Morgoth. Considering Morgoth squandered most of his might during the first age battles with the Elves.

What is this nonsense? Whatever power was in the Ring was what Sauron already had in him. Not having the ring made him weaker, having the ring brought him back to his original power.

Branduil

agrajag said:
What is this nonsense? Whatever power was in the Ring was what Sauron already had in him. Not having the ring made him weaker, having the ring brought him back to his original power.
The Ring gave Sauron additional power by virtue of its mastery over the other rings. There'd be no reason for him to make a ring if it only made him as powerful as he already was.

Gvaz

Banned
His only mastery over the other rings was by those of their wearers being faithful to sauron, but only really the humans were corrupted because they're of weak minds.

Aaron

Gvaz said:
His only mastery over the other rings was by those of their wearers being faithful to sauron, but only really the humans were corrupted because they're of weak minds.
Dwarven rulers were also corrupted. Pretty sure they're in charge of making weapons in Mordor.

bengraven

New Facebook update from Peter Jackson. Some pretty cool things in it, including a promise of a future "fan q n'a" and a little behind-the-scenes trivia from LOTR that blew my mind!

Easter Break
by Peter Jackson on Thursday, April 21, 2011 at 6:21pm

Just arrived at our four-day Easter break, which will be a nice time to recharge batteries and do a few script tweaks for future scenes.

We always find there are three distinct phases in the life of a film script. First, it exists before the film starts shooting. In this period, which can last from months to years, the script is a theoretical document—an imaginative version of the movie.

Then you start shooting and things come much more into focus—usually in a very positive way. We now have actors who bring their skill to the roles and suddenly we see the characters in a more vivid and tangible way. This is both fun and satisfying, and always inspires us to embark on constant script revisions to meet the renewed potential these characters now have. I feel that much of the best writing happens during this period, but it does make a very busy time—very, very busy! Sometimes we have gotten these revisions to the actors a little late. We constantly joke to Ian McKellen that tomorrow's script pages will be slid under his door sometime the night before... and sometimes that has been true.

The worst case of this came during The Fellowship of the Ring, when we revised Boromir's long speech about Mordor at the last minute and only got it to Sean Bean on the day it was being shot. Sean handled it very cleverly—if you look at the movie, you'll see he occasionally has his head bowed, as if dealing with the emotional weight of the horrors of Mordor. In actual fact, the new script page had been taped to his knee! By the time we were done with several takes and a few different camera angles, Sean had the speech down pat, and it was mainly those takes that were used in the final cut.

The final writing phase comes in post-production, when you edit the movie. No matter what you were imagining when you wrote the script, and what you imagined during the shoot, nothing now matters beyond the actual cut film. We often find that script work continues during post, including writing and shooting new scenes, reorganising the order of scenes, or recording additional dialogue to slip into shots. We do all of these things, and the writing only stops when the film is finally finished.

Many thanks for all the comments about the first posts. A few common questions have come up and I'll answer some of those over the break. Now to get back to the script for those Rivendell scenes we have coming up...

Cheers,
Peter J

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
PhoenixDark said:
Yup. The Hobbit certainly has some big action scenes, but overall it's a whimsical adventure story with none of the foreboding or loss of innocence seen in LOTR. Some guys go on an adventure and get rich basically.

Given all the money and technology involved, I'm definitely worried Jackson will bloat this. In a sense the process has already started, considering they're turning a simple, relatively small book into two films that will probably be 2.5 hours long.

I should trust Jackson by now, but I'm still worried.

Yep. Look what Jackson did to King Kong. He took a simple adventure story and bogged it down with his ponderous self important bullshit which made it an absolute chore to watch. Makes me wish Del Toro was still directing.

richiek said:
Yep. Look what Jackson did to King Kong. He took a simple adventure story and bogged it down with his ponderous self important bullshit which made it an absolute chore to watch. Makes me wish Del Toro was still directing.

Simple adventure story... is not how I'd describe King Kong. I mean, it includes a supernaturally big gorilla who ends up climbing the empire state building.

richiek

Government-man said:
Simple adventure story... is not how I'd describe King Kong. I mean, it includes a supernaturally big gorilla who ends up climbing the empire state building.

Let's see. A expedition crew set off for a journey to a faraway island to look for a giant ape. I'd call it an adventure story.

And let's face it. The original King Kong had a pretty simplistic story. Jackson tried to add LOTR style gravitas, much to the film's detriment. The film did not need to be 3 hours long.

Aguirre

I just found out that Frodo is going to be making an appearance? It's been a good while since I read The Hobbit, but I don't recall Frodo being in it or even being mentioned for that matter.

Is there going to be a few look-into-the-future scenes which shows Frodo from LOTR?

richiek

Aguirre said:
I just found out that Frodo is going to be making an appearance? It's been a good while since I read The Hobbit, but I don't recall Frodo being in it or even being mentioned for that matter.

Is there going to be a few look-into-the-future scenes which shows Frodo from LOTR?

Supposedly, Ian Holm is gonna be in the films as the older Bilbo, so I'd imagine there will be flashbacks of older Bilbo telling the story to Frodo or someone else.

agrajag

Banned
Branduil said:
The Ring gave Sauron additional power by virtue of its mastery over the other rings. There'd be no reason for him to make a ring if it only made him as powerful as he already was.

It gave him mastery over other rings, yes, because it created a link between him and the Ring wearers. But it didn't up his power level, much less make him more powerful than Morgoth. If they had a one on one battle, he'd get murked by Morogth.

Morn

Banned
Ian Holm is in the movie, and the voice at the end of the production diary WAS Martin Freeman:
One comment that came up from the recent video blog was the Bilbo voice at the end—many of you assumed it was Sir Ian Holm. Whilst Ian will be returning as the older Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit, that recording was actually Martin Freeman's voice, taken from a script read through we recorded when the cast first arrived. I have to admit, I wasn't sure who it was when I first heard it, either. Cheers, Peter J

jaxword

agrajag said:
It gave him mastery over other rings, yes, because it created a link between him and the Ring wearers. But it didn't up his power level, much less make him more powerful than Morgoth. If they had a one on one battle, he'd get murked by Morogth.

One thing the LOTR movies failed to really expand is what the one ring actually DID. Sure, it made you invisible, but that was all it did in the movies. Now, being a LOTR nerd, I know the backstory and the subtle mind manipulations involved, but I didn't get a sense of that at all in the movies. Quite a few people I knew that went with me didn't quite get WHY the ring was so important, only that it was basically a plot mcguffin to be pursued.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Aguirre said:

The strong rumor is that The Hobbit is going to have a frame story - older Bilbo (Ian Holme) is going to be telling the events of The Hobbit to Frodo (Elijah Wood).

It will (most likely) be a very very small part of things. Really just a tool for people that saw LOTR but don't know the books at all to orient themselves to when the Hobbit story is taking place, etc.

Bregor

agrajag said:

Tolkien has stated that Sauron at his most powerful was greater than Morgoth at his weakest. Keep in mind that Morgoth weakened throughout history due to his giving power to various underlings, and his spreading his essence into the fabric of Arda itself in a (futile) attempt to possess it that way.

Pakkidis

A bit confused here, is it:

1) The hobbit is split into 2 movies or

2) The hobbit is one movie and the second movie is a bridge between the hobbit and LOTR.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pakkidis said:
A bit confused here, is it:

1) The hobbit is split into 2 movies or

2) The hobbit is one movie and the second movie is a bridge between the hobbit and LOTR.

Think of it like Deathly Hallows.

I've never read the LotR books, or The Hobbit in fear of ruining the films that I love so much. After hearing so many of you talking about them though, I think I might pull The Hobbit off my shelf and give it a start.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
fna84 said:
Is Gollum going to look the same as he did in LotR or more like a hobbit?
The same. His transformation from Smeagol took place over the course of 550 years, not the 60 between Hobbit and LotR.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Bregor said:
Tolkien has stated that Sauron at his most powerful was greater than Morgoth at his weakest. Keep in mind that Morgoth weakened throughout history due to his giving power to various underlings, and his spreading his essence into the fabric of Arda itself in a (futile) attempt to possess it that way.
Yes, and to add to this, it's stated in letter 131 of 'The Letters of JRR Tolkien' that:

"The chief power (of all the rings alike) was the prevention or slowing of decay (i.e. 'change' viewed as a regrettable thing), the preservation of what is desired or loved, or its semblance – this is more or less an Elvish motive. But also they enhanced the natural powers of a possessor – thus approaching 'magic', a motive easily corruptible into evil, a lust for domination. And finally they had other powers, more directly derived from Sauron ('the Necromancer': so he is called as he casts a fleeting shadow and presage on the pages of The Hobbit ): such as rendering invisible the material body, and making things of the invisible world visible."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom