• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
You think a movie called The Desolation of Smaug will not have Smaug? The beginning of your third movie will be the end of the second movie.
The desolation refers to Smaug's ruinous effect on the area surrounding the Lonely Mountain, not Smaug himself at least in Tolkien terms. And we'll see that effect throughout the film.

But yes, with a little bit of shuffling Smaug could be in the second film in a physical sense.

Whatever the case, Smaug probably won't die the second fim.

Ixion

Edmond Dantès;42530161 said:
But yes, with a little bit of shuffling Smaug could be in the second film in a physical sense.

That will definitely happen. As other have said, your second film would end with no action for the final 30-45 minutes. Just heated debates at the most. Smaug will definitely show up at the end.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;42530513 said:

Since these tie-in games tend to use assets from the film's design teams, it also seems to potentially hint at what the Elven army will look like in the Battle of the Five Armies, at least that's my assumption - could just be some random conflict made up for the game.

But I did some reading-up on the game, looks like it's meant to be a browser-based strategy game. Maybe along the lines of Age of Empires Online? That would be pretty interesting.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Since these tie-in games tend to use assets from the film's design teams, it also seems to potentially hint at what the Elven army will look like in the Battle of the Five Armies, at least that's my assumption - could just be some random conflict made up for the game.

But I did some reading-up on the game, looks like it's meant to be a browser-based strategy game. Maybe along the lines of Age of Empires Online? That would be pretty interesting.
Could be potential battle at Dol Guldur between the Necromancer's minions and the White Council plus elves.

A precursor to the actual Battle of Dol Guldur, that occurred during the War of the Ring and resulted in Dol Guldur's destruction by Galadriel.

The armour seems more Noldorin to me with striking similarities to the armour worn by the Last Alliance elves, not something that Mirkwood elves would wear.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;42532198 said:
Could be potential battle at Dol Guldur between the Necromancer's minions and the White Council plus elves.

A precursor to the actual Battle of Dol Guldur, that occurred during the War of the Ring and resulted in Dol Guldur's destruction by Galadriel.

The armour seems more Noldorin to me with striking similarities to the armour worn by the Last Alliance elves, not something that Mirkwood elves would wear.

Ahh, good point; didn't even occur to me. Yeah now that I look at those helms they're practically identical to the ones from the Last Alliance.

Speaking of which, as long as we're on the subject. I think I like the designs of the Last Alliance/Dagorlad elves over the ones that show up at Helm's deep.

asdsadasd.jpg

HDpic2.jpg

I think the second look is just too...shiny?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Ahh, good point; didn't even occur to me. Yeah now that I look at those helms they're practically identical to the ones from the Last Alliance.

Speaking of which, as long as we're on the subject. I think I like the designs of the Last Alliance/Dagorlad elves over the ones that show up at Helm's deep.

asdsadasd.jpg

HDpic2.jpg

I think the second look is just too...shiny?
If I remember correctly, the armour design according to Fran or maybe it was Philippa reflects the diminishment of the elves. The later years of their liveries reflecting autumnal/winter shades. The further back in time you go, the more glorious the elven liveries would have looked.

I'd love to see how the production team would depict First age elves at the height of their power.

Probably something like this:

Melkor3.pjpg.jpg

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
The Two Towers and Return of the King tie-in games by EA were some of the most fun I had with hack n' slashers last gen.

As a matter of fact, with the exception of The Lord of the Rings: Conquest (completely wasted and rushed opportunity), I would say that the majority of EA's LotR licensed games were pretty damn good; Battle for Middle Earth 2 in particular was great. There's a game I wish was on Steam...or for that matter was made available digitally anywhere :(

OT but Yeah, damn EA lets you buy the expansion digitally but not the original you need to get the expansion to work. I bought it thinking i would be able to play it with my copy of BFME2 on PC but no, it actually doesnt work with the retail version of the game! So there is no way to play the damn expansion.... Ugh..

On topic, that last trailer is soooo damn good!!

Ainaurdur

Evangeline Lily

iugQA.jpg

Is this from an action figure packaging? I haven't really followed news about Hobbit merchandise yet. But since I had a few of the figures from LotR I think I might be interested in a new set. As long as they are decent... oh please, be decent.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Courtesy of the Barrow-Downs who have always been vociferous in their dislike of Peter Jackson and his trilogy.

These Naugrim look undwarvish,
And those Wargs from Harry Potter!
Radagast and his rabbits
Don't seem quite like they oughter.

Gandalf convinces Galadriel
That the story needs a Baggins,
But there's a whiff of faint unease,
A little something nagging --

That causes me to question
All this murk so dark and dim
That saturates each sequence
With foul fan-fiction whim!

Has Jackson filmed 'The Hobbit'
Or is this some mad contrivance?
A blue-screen concocted prequel
With the studio's connivance?

There's an annotated copy
Leaning lornly on my shelf,
And we wonder -- yes we wonders,
Precious, is this film now something else?

With comedy butted dwarvish broad,
But plot stretched a bit too thin --
Scraped like butter o'er too much bread --
Three films ringed end to end.

P'raps a once simple story
Of an adventurous hobbit's lot,
Has gotten flummoxed and bebothered
In a confusticated plot!

xenist

Edmond Dantès;42543160 said:
Courtesy of the Barrow-Downs who have always been vociferous in their dislike of Peter Jackson and his trilogy.

Oh, how sweet! Lobelia Sackville-Baggins has a site. I love technologically inclined senior citizens!

Warner Bros. Partnering For Two Free-To-Play Hobbit Games

Coming to the web and mobile devices...

Warner Bros. has announced via press release that they are developing two free-to-play games to release in conjunction with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. The company is partnering with Kabam for the games, titled The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle-earth and The Hobbit: Armies of the Third Age.

Both are set to release this fall and are multiplayer strategy games, with Kingdoms of Middle-earth coming to mobile devices and Armies of the Third Age hitting browsers. Kingdoms of Middle-earth has players build and manage their own Middle-earth dynasty, which includes engaging in war along other players. Armies of the Third Age sees players controlling famous characters like Bilbo and Gandalf in strategic combat.

Greg Ballard, the senior VP of Digital Games at Warner Bros., said, "We are very pleased to work with Kabam in creating immersive free-to-play online games on massive scales across multiple platforms. Kabam's Armies of the Third Age and Kingdoms of Middle-earth will be an excellent way for The Hobbit film fans around the world to delve more into the iconic story and interact with the characters in the universe."

http://www.411mania.com/games/news/...tnering-For-Two-Free-To-Play-Hobbit-Games.htm

Number45

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/09/26/62296-goblin-king-thorin-figure-set-revealed/

Big thanks to Ringer MrHollandsays for sending us pics of the ‘Thorin Oakenshield & The Goblin King Battle Set’ from The Bridge Direct. You can pre-order the vast majority of these figures right now on Amazon.com – so start your ‘Hobbit’ collection today! For those wishing to avoid spoilers, don’t look beyond the break as we have close up shots of the figure!

Linked, because SPOILERS!

Does anyone here listen to Professor Corey Olsen aka the 'Tolkien Professor'? I stumbled across his podcast and it goes back 3 years. Covers everything from in-depth examinations of the books, question/answers, letters and even lectures/seminars. The professor seems extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic about all things Tolkien.

It sounds really interesting. I was thinking of investing some time into the podcasts.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Does anyone here listen to Professor Corey Olsen aka the 'Tolkien Professor'? I stumbled across his podcast and it goes back 3 years. Covers everything from in-depth examinations of the books, question/answers, letters and even lectures/seminars. The professor seems extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic about all things Tolkien.

It sounds really interesting. I was thinking of investing some time into the podcasts.
Yes, indeed. It's a very good series of podcasts.

He also has a Hobbit related book which just released, just in time for the Hobbit journey that we're all about to embark on for the next two and a half years.

Screen-Shot-2012-05-30-at-10.28.48-PM.png

Not as scholarly as Christopher Tolkien's History of Middle-earth series, but then what is.

Loxley

I'm fine with them making at least a couple of the dwarves not butt-ugly, say what you want but it does help mix the group up a bit more. Granted with Kili it's almost blatant that he's meant to be "the hot one" just as much as Bombur is meant to be "the fat one".

Although thankfully they didn't try to go that route with Thorin, which they easily could have. Armitage definitely looks like a leaderly, badass dwarf, and yet still looks like a handsome guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom