• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edmond Dantès;42698490 said:
I'd add the Parma Eldalamberon to that.

(img)

All 20 issues.

Wish I knew where to get the old out of print issues of these. At least Vinyar Tengwar has collected volumes of their previous articles, but no such luck with PE...

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Never seen this image before.

iBdlkbuxLDylA.jpg

I wonder who that is at the top.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;42711492 said:
Could be
Azog or Bolgs
. They're both supposed to be much larger warriors and great chieftains amongst the goblins.

Ahh, could be. I keep thinking I'm seeing a cat ear & nose on...whoever that is. Hopefully we'll get a hi-res version at some point.

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;42672021 said:
The Book of Lost Tales is also worth reading before The Silmarillion and the Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth.

I think you're right and you also remind me that BoLT is one of the few Tolkien books I don't own. I have the majority of the History of Middle-Earth/LOTR but not lost tales for some reason.

Edmond Dantès;42689975 said:

I may need to get this. This is all honesty my favorite moment from the films. Either this or the other contemplative scene where Gandalf is sitting with his sword at his side in the White City between conflicts. I love contemplative Gandalf so much.

Oh yeah I'm fucking down with that. I own Hobbit, LOTR and Sil. I'll tackle all three if the Gaf re-read happens.

I'll make a thread at some point and we'll do one before or after Hobbit. I may either suggest alternate routes through the books or just do one book at a time in a selected order chosen. I will use the more commonly found books in the series (I even found The Sil in Walmart) so that people don't have to do too much work for obscure texts.

Why not make it a real challenge and add...

HM.UK.2%5BCollected%5D.jpg

Yeah, but most of that is history and origin text. I would stick with Tolkien's planned narrative instead of the scholarly route.

That said, I will probably go back to the History myself after I'm done.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
*sigh* they look so cartoony. It's like a Dreamworks animated film or something

the book was aimed at a younger audience. makes sense that the movie will too. i expect The Hobbit to have a more whimsical feel than LotR.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
I read the book when I was a kid. I certainly didn't imagine it like a Pixar movie.
well there's just the thing. everyone imagined the books differently.

what you're seeing in the movie is the collective vision of writers, directors, actors, cinematographers, marketers etc. as they saw the books.

it's unsurprising that a melding pot of all those influences doesn't exactly match the imagination of each individual person that has ever read the books.

BLAZER

Hopefully there isn't an overuse of CGI in this Hobbit series. Is anyone else worried about that?(i'm getting that feeling there will be an overuse)

I prefer the LOTR method of costume/real props mixed with CGI rather than all CGI.

All CGI for me is obvious and takes you out of the story because everything looks fake and digitized, compared to it being mixed.

agrajag

Banned
well there's just the thing. everyone imagined the books differently.

what you're seeing in the movie is the collective vision of writers, directors, actors, cinematographers, marketers etc. as they saw the books.

it's unsurprising that a melding pot of all those influences doesn't exactly match the imagination of each individual person that has ever read the books.

duh. Just forget it, we will never agree on this. They could turn it into Sesame Street and your PC spiel about how everyone has a different vision, blah, blah, blah would still apply. You're not really saying anything here.

agrajag

Banned
I'm just saying that if you chalk up everything to having a different vision you're basically saying it's off limits from any kind of criticism of its visuals. I certainly didn't feel that the dwarves were comic relief in the book, at times they were, but Bilbo himself was more of a comedic character than the dwarves. Here, with the possible exceptions of Thorin, Dwalin and Kili their entire purpose is to be doofy and get cheap laughs from the audience. They remind me of the seven dwarves from Snow White more than Durin's folk. I'm still very excited about the movie. And I apologize that I came off so aggro, I have very poor online manners :/

Rootbeer

Banned
The Bridge Direct Hobbit action figures hit their street date today. Anyone picking them up?

Most are sold out on amazon already.

Loxley

At $30.00 I would grab the Key to Erebor without question, but O.O at those US shipping prices...nearly triples the cost :(

I'm just saying that if you chalk up everything to having a different vision you're basically saying it's off limits from any kind of criticism of its visuals. I certainly didn't feel that the dwarves were comic relief in the book, at times they were, but Bilbo himself was more of a comedic character than the dwarves. Here, with the possible exceptions of Thorin, Dwalin and Kili their entire purpose is to be doofy and get cheap laughs from the audience. They remind me of the seven dwarves from Snow White more than Durin's folk. I'm still very excited about the movie. And I apologize that I came off so aggro, I have very poor online manners :/

Relax, they've come off as doofy in one trailer, and that was most likely a response towards criticism that the first trailer was too serious. Sure, you can probably safely conclude that Bombur is there to get laughs, but withhold your judgement a bit on the other dwarves. Peter Jackson hopefully knows what he's doing

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
That poster is awesome... though not super fond of LENNSSS FLLAAARRREE

Also interesting to note: it seems to matche most people's predictions for which Dwarves receive the most screen time.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Bolg
will be the Lurtz of The Hobbit.

His weapon of choice is pretty impressive. That'll strike fear into the hearts of the Children of Iluvatar during the trilogy.

Looks like the dude gandalf is fighting in the first trailer.. kinda shaman looking with the bear paw on his shoulder, awesome poster either way!

Looking forward to hearing the soundtrack. I'm hoping for music to match the likes of The Shire, Khazad-dum, the Prologue, Very Old Friends, and part one of The Road Goes Ever On.

Shore really managed to capture the themes of past glories (particularly of the north and of Gondor), friendship and hope in his music. Or at least that is how I've always heard it.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
id kill women and children for the soundtrack to the hobbit, please make me believe howard!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Well, that's different... Is it just me or do the orcs look really different from the previous movies? I expected them to look more like Moria orcs.
I think they're trying to differentiate between The LOTR trilogy and the Hobbit trilogy by having new orc/goblin designs.

Which also leads to this new character called Yazneg.

http://i.minus.com/iv7cwmz49v3qB.jpg

http://i.minus.com/inrOlZ9YAs21Y.jpg

Doesn't look very orcish to me, neither does he look like one of the wild men. He could be one of The Necromancer's minions. A sort of lesser Mouth of Sauron type of character. Could be a hybrid of sorts even. One of Necro's experiments.

What does Tolkien GAF make of him?

Wiggum2007

Edmond Dantès;42747472 said:
Which also leads to this new character called Yazneg.

http://i.minus.com/iv7cwmz49v3qB.jpg

http://i.minus.com/inrOlZ9YAs21Y.jpg

Doesn't look very orcish to me, neither does he look like one of the wild men. He could be one of The Necromancer's minions. A sort of lesser Mouth of Sauron type of character. Could be a hybrid of sorts even. One of Necro's experiments.

What does Tolkien GAF make of him?

AAAAAAaaAAaHH he has faces on his clothes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom