• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hydro Thunder Hurricane |OT|

Vorg

Banned
I wish the game would let you download other players' replays to see how you guys did it. I can't even beat my own time, let alone yours.

Sydle

JRW said:
Damn! What are the chances :lol

hurricane_monsterisland.JPG

Holy shit. Good job.

*Pulls on collar nervously*

Vorg

Banned
So today there's that thing where you can play online with the Hydro Thunder Hurricane devs and ask them questions. Matt Small was playing in the lobby I was in. Or at least someone who sounded exactly like him lol. He seems like a real nice guy and answered all the questions everyone in the lobby had.

They're releasing the DLC in mid-September, or at least that's the date they're shooting for. DLC consists of 3 new DLC tracks (no returning tracks from the original game), new boats (one of them might be the tinytanic) and boat skins. No idea on pricing, since it's Microsoft's call. They're also doing some kind of contest where fans can design a boat skin and make a video showing it on youtube. Winner skin will be in the game. He said there's more information on the contest on Vector Unit's website.

Oh and he's awesome with the Razorback. :D

acidspunk said:
So today there's that thing where you can play online with the Hydro Thunder Hurricane devs and ask them questions. Matt Small was playing in the lobby I was in. Or at least someone who sounded exactly like him lol. He seems like a real nice guy and answered all the questions everyone in the lobby had.

They're releasing the DLC in mid-September, or at least that's the date they're shooting for. DLC consists of 3 new DLC tracks (no returning tracks from the original game), new boats (one of them might be the tinytanic) and boat skins. No idea on pricing, since it's Microsoft's call. They're also doing some kind of contest where fans can design a boat skin and make a video showing it on youtube. Winner skin will be in the game. He said there's more information on the contest on Vector Unit's website.

Oh and he's awesome with the Razorback. :D
Oh wow awesome. 3 new tracks is great but I hope it doesn't stop there.

legbone

cool. new skins. too bad i am not good enough to open all the ones that are already there. :lol
i don't know how some of you guys are getting these times. very impressive.

I've got a couple of podcasts in the chamber. I think it's time for some Monster Island leaderboard runs. Shaving point two of a second off my time seems doable :)

SuperPac

snoopeasystreet said:
I've got a couple of podcasts in the chamber. I think it's time for some Monster Island leaderboard runs. Shaving point two of a second off my time seems doable :)

Damn. Just as I was getting a little closer to you on the leaderboards...

legbone said:
cool. new skins. too bad i am not good enough to open all the ones that are already there. :lol
i don't know how some of you guys are getting these times. very impressive.
Yeah I gave up getting some of the expert class skins. Too frustrating.

I wouldn't mind coming up with a boat design, but I don't know that I necessarily want to have to make a YouTube video with me yelling the name of the game too. =/

Vorg

Banned
Neuromancer said:
I wouldn't mind coming up with a boat design, but I don't know that I necessarily want to have to make a YouTube video with me yelling the name of the game too. =/

Yeah, I think I'll just pay for the DLC and trust the designers' taste. :p

I've got to stop playing the game for a while. I'm at about 1.100.000 credits so I'm getting a bit tired of it, as you can imagine. I really like it but the repetition is finally getting the best of me.

rj118

I really cannot wait for the DLC. I wouldn't have minded paying full retail price for HTH if it had about 20 tracks instead of just 8! Love this game :D

SuperPac

Paco said:
Fuuuuuu..

I'm out of town for the rest of the week, but next week I'm going to beat you.

hydroleaderboard4.jpg

Oh snap. I just leapfrogged Sydle and Mathesar. VROOOM. Now it's really starting to feel like luck of the draw sometimes with the AI boats. That's become so much of the strategy of shaving down seconds. Sometimes they're in the right spots and sometimes, they're just not (or they're crashing into walls as I've seen every so often).

Vorg

Banned
I gave up on trying to beat you guys in monster island. I dunno why but no matter how many times I try I can't even get close to your times... Must be doing something wrong. Anyway I thought I'd try other tracks instead and almost beat Sydle's time on Storming Asgard. Almost. :p

EDIT:Beat it :D

Bread

Banned
Hello everyone! I absolutely adore this game, cutting time off my runs is so addictive. If anyone ever wants to race just send a friend request to DCot, I'd love to have more friends on my leaderboards.

Vorg

Banned
Update from Vector Unit on the official xbox.com boards:

Vector Unit said:
Hi Everyone -

Just wanted to drop you all a quick update about the DLC, which we're calling the "Tempest Pack". We'll be issuing an official announcement in about a week, with screenshots of the new content and more details, but here's a quick preview:

- 3 all-new tracks including ring master and gauntlet events
- 2 all-new boats
- New skins for all the base game boats (including our 2 winners from the Design-A-Skin contest)
- New championships
- Some special surprises

We don't yet have a price from Microsoft, or an official release date. We're scheduled to go into certification in about 3 weeks, so it should be available about 2 weeks after that if everything goes smoothly.

Thanks a lot for your patience! I know it's taking a little longer than we originally planned, but I think the wait will be worth it!

- Matt

Bread

Banned
I just got an update, anyone know what it's for?

edit: it seems they added flashing red to your text if you aren't ready in the lobby

Bread

Banned
I just raced against someone in a blue Rad Hazard, how is that possible?

edit: i messaged the guy "PuRpLe HaZe LLC" blue raz? And he replied can't tell ya dig

i guess it's the dlc

Vorg

Banned
Bread said:
I just raced against someone in a blue Rad Hazard, how is that possible?

edit: i messaged the guy "PuRpLe HaZe LLC" blue raz? And he replied can't tell ya dig

i guess it's the dlc

Nah. He just played Rubber Ducky before racing. The boats in that mode are either red or blue. Sometimes it doesn't change the red/blue skin back to the original when you leave.

Also, the title update was meant to fix some nasty glitches that would let people go through walls and get insanely low times on the leaderboards. They've added other things in the process. You will now hear a warning beep when at a lobby and not ready. Also, waiting time for DNF boats at the end of the race has been reduced to 30 seconds instead of 60. Haven't noticed any other changes so far.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
That's awesome news! Can't wait for the DLCs!

I guess 3 more tracks is great for now. But I do hope they add a few more later on.
Yeah. I love this game, I would literally buy pretty much any number of tracks they put out.

Bread

Banned
acidspunk said:
Nah. He just played Rubber Ducky before racing. The boats in that mode are either red or blue. Sometimes it doesn't change the red/blue skin back to the original when you leave.

Also, the title update was meant to fix some nasty glitches that would let people go through walls and get insanely low times on the leaderboards. They've added other things in the process. You will now hear a warning beep when at a lobby and not ready. Also, waiting time for DNF boats at the end of the race has been reduced to 30 seconds instead of 60. Haven't noticed any other changes so far.
Awesome, thanks for clarifying.

Davedough

New DLC coming in October.

Microsoft Game Studios and developer Vector Unit today announced the “Tempest Pack”, a downloadable expansion pack for the Xbox LIVE® Summer of Arcade hit Hydro Thunder Hurricane, available for download on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft in October 2010.

The Tempest Pack will include three brand new racing environments, two new Expert-class rocket-powered speedboats, a slew of new boat skins for existing boats, as well as new Championship, Ring Master and Gauntlet events.

New tracks include the volcanic ruins of Atlantis, the hurricane-whipped waters of the Bermuda Triangle, and a medieval obstacle course packed with exploding barrels and interactive cannons known as Castle Von Boom.

“The new environments are all about ratcheting up the level of insanity,” says Creative Director Matt Small. “The weather is stormier, the waves are bigger, and the levels are packed with more interactive obstacles and more potential for chaos and destruction. That’s what puts the tempest in Tempest Pack.”

The DLC also adds two new Expert level boats to the pantheon of Hydro Thunder favorites. Whiplash is a futuristic cross between a v-hulled speedboat and a Formula 1 race car, while Psyclone is a souped-up flat-bottomed fan-boat. “You can tell from looking at the Leaderboards that Rad Hazard was the boat to beat in Hydro Thunder Hurricane. Whiplash and Psyclone give Rad Hazard a run for its money.”

But the new vehicles don’t stop there. As an added bonus, developer Vector Unit is including supercharged versions of the six Novice and Pro boats available in the base game, bringing the total number of playable Expert class boats to 11.

“To be competitive on the Leaderboards and in online races you need to be driving an Expert boat,” explains Ralf Knoesel, Vector Unit’s Technical Director. “The ships you unlock early in Hurricane are designed to be accessible to new players, so they’re easier to handle and a little slower. But we know a lot of fans have favorites in the Novice and Pro classes like Damn the Torpedoes and Tidal Blade. With the Tempest Pack you can drive any boat you want at the highest levels of competition.”

All new and existing boats get new unlockable skins, including paint schemes for Banshee and Rad Hazard designed by the winners of the Design-A-Skin Video Contest hosted by Vector Unit in August.

The Tempest Pack also adds three Gamerscore-boosting Achievements, Ring Master and Gauntlet courses for all new levels, and three new Championships. Exact release date and pricing will be announced at a later date.

rsPLQ.jpg

Qg7fx.jpg

iV4Ym.jpg

wI4dX.jpg

juTNw.jpg

esxAW.jpg

RDTO0.jpg

34ynO.jpg

acidspunk said:
Got an interview with Vector Unit. Do you guys have any questions for them?
Please ask them if there is more DLC coming after this (I figured you would anyway but hey) and what their thoughts would be on them making a new Arctic Thunder. Thanks!

V_Ben

Banned
acidspunk said:
Got an interview with Vector Unit. Do you guys have any questions for them?

Can you ask them about the process they went through in designing the tracks, and any cool ideas that they cut, due to the fact that they didn't work how they wanted them to? I loved the stuff I played in the demo :D

Top Bottom