• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hydro Thunder Hurricane |OT|

Dan Yo

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Yeah, this is why we need class specific lobbies. If you're just starting up, you should be able to play against people in the same class.
I found myself sticking with the expert boats on the track while using a pro boat and even when using a novice boat.

Dan Yo said:
I found myself sticking with the expert boats on the track while using a pro boat and even when using a novice boat.
Yeah but that's probably because the people you were playing with sucked. If you have two pretty evenly skilled people, and one picks a novice boat, and the other picks an expert boat, I don't think it'd be very close.

Dan Yo

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Yeah but that's probably because the people you were playing with sucked. If you have two pretty evenly skilled people, and one picks a novice boat, and the other picks an expert boat, I don't think it'd be very close.
I'm sure that's true, but I'm just saying it isn't really necessary to when jumping online all of the time. Very few people can control the expert boats on the waves correctly and that gives the lower boats room to compete with them while they're flying all over the waves.

SuperPac

Here's a weird problem. I've been playing the Seoul track trying to lower my time and get more experience with Rad Hazard. I've got it down pretty well at this point (#351 on the leaderboard at the moment!), but if I'm having a really good race, after the last checkpoint the boosts are invisible. Their icon is gone but if I run over where they should be I still collect them. It's consistent - every time I'm on pace to beat 1:25:00, no more icons.

Anyone else seeing that?

SuperPac said:
Here's a weird problem. I've been playing the Seoul track trying to lower my time and get more experience with Rad Hazard. I've got it down pretty well at this point (#351 on the leaderboard at the moment!), but if I'm having a really good race, after the last checkpoint the boosts are invisible. Their icon is gone but if I run over where they should be I still collect them. It's consistent - every time I'm on pace to beat 1:25:00, no more icons.

Anyone else seeing that?
No, that's really weird. Maybe clear your cache and restart your machine?

ksan

Tsunami Bowl is the shit! :lol
This game is damn awesome, nearly as fun as the arcade version, but still better because of all the modes and the online multiplayer.

Vorg

Banned
ksan said:
Tsunami Bowl is the shit! :lol
This game is damn awesome, nearly as fun as the arcade version, but still better because of all the modes and the online multiplayer.

Yeah, online mp is so much fun. I can't stop playing this online. I've been playing online HTH for a few days now. I think I'm obsessed with it.
:(

ksan

acidspunk said:
Yeah, online mp is so much fun. I can't stop playing this online. I've been playing online HTH for a few days now. I think I'm obsessed with it.
:(
I'm obsessed with leaderboards :(

Sydle

ksan said:
I'm obsessed with leaderboards :(

This. The way they integrated leaderboards is evil. For every opponent I beat there's another one that has me race on the same track figuring out where I can shave off mere micro seconds to beat.

One of my favorite Live Arcade releases in a long, long time.

Vorg

Banned
Dandy J said:
Just wrote a review of the game, though I'm sure no one here needs any convincing. http://rolling-start.com/reviewsimpressions/137-review-hydro-thunder-hurricane-xbla.html

Great review.

"But as it stands, this game simply cannot be matched in raw fun factor by any arcade racer in recent memory. It's got an addicting quality that can't be attributed to anything but a purely great gameplay experience. Even with some flaws, Hydro Thunder Hurricane is a must-buy if you like arcade racers in any capacity."

^My thoughts exactly!

gunstarhero

Quick question:

Is using your boost while in the air a waste? Im not sure if I'm speeding up in mid air, or if it's doing nothing and it's better to conserve it till you hit the water?

Game is so awesome!

Drakken

I got over 20K credits before I realized that you can press Y to switch to a front of boat / cockpit view, haha. Makes for a neat experience, though the regular view makes it much easier to see the course.

I tried playing a few of the ring events today. I love how each class takes you on a different route, with the Pro and Expert classes taking you through the shortcuts and essentially teaching you the quickest ways through each course. That'll be really helpful in the race events.

gunstarhero said:
Quick question:

Is using your boost while in the air a waste? Im not sure if I'm speeding up in mid air, or if it's doing nothing and it's better to conserve it till you hit the water?

Game is so awesome!

I'd like to know as well. I've been saving it and boosting when I land.

robot

gunstarhero said:
Game is so awesome!

BEST FRIENDS FOREVERRRR!

139138808.jpg

I need more Hydro Thunder friends, feel free to add me (pepperjack).

Vorg

Banned
gunstarhero said:
Quick question:

Boosting in mid-air is not a waste. You can even use it in mid air to do sharp turns. I really like the rad hazard for the way it controls while in the air.

Drakken

Is the key to the Rad Hazard crazy mid-air maneuvers that are impossible with the other boats? Or is it just really fast?

JRW

Paco said:
This. The way they integrated leaderboards is evil. For every opponent I beat there's another one that has me race on the same track figuring out where I can shave off mere micro seconds to beat.

One of my favorite Live Arcade releases in a long, long time.

^^ I couldn't agree anymore :D

Game is a blast.

Neuromancer said:
A good way to do it is to have a private match with a friend, and go hunt tokens together.
In the trial I like how the co-pilot talks about the tokens.

"Looks shiny, must be important"

"hm, I wonder what that does?"

I don't understand how IGN found him annoying.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My friends list is empty, too.

Feel free to add me: Liegedog

KAOS said:
Actually I mean like a separate multiplayer mode.
Oh I see

Diablohead said:
In the trial I like how the co-pilot talks about the tokens.

"Looks shiny, must be important"

"hm, I wonder what that does?"

I don't understand how IGN found him annoying.
Yeah I agree, I think he's great. :lol

V_Ben

Banned
I started up the demo today, and saw the WB logo on the screen at the beginning. I'm now a bit confused. It also says that the hydro thunder ip is property of WB. how very odd. Does this mean that MS has licensed the ip, leaving the game free to turn up in other forms elsewhere?

V_Ben said:
I started up the demo today, and saw the WB logo on the screen at the beginning. I'm now a bit confused. It also says that the hydro thunder ip is property of WB. how very odd. Does this mean that MS has licensed the ip, leaving the game free to turn up in other forms elsewhere?
That's the impression I get... Maybe this will make it out on the PSN someday.

legbone

ok, color me impressed. i played this all day yesterday (solo, no multi) and it turns out this is more fun to me than limbo. and i loves me some limbo. congrats to the developers. lets hope to see some more arcade action. it reminds me of the days when games like this, ridge racer, sega rally, daytona, speed devils, cruisin usa/world (yeah i liked em) so on were the arcade racing kings. with this and blur and split/second we seem to be having a small arcade racer rebirth. i'm glad, i'm about simmed out. for some reason the burnout games (all except for 3) never really clicked with me. midnight club was my only arcade fix for many years. the last good nfs game to me was most wanted even though i loved shift. i hope criterion blows me away with nfs hot pursuit. but this game made me realize for some reason that the series i miss most is SSX. damn it where is my updated SSX. i would take a small downloable title like this one even. oh please EA, hear my cries.

sorry for the rant.

Vorg

Banned
V_Ben said:

Since it was MS who paid for the game's development, I doubt we'll ever see it on other formats. But hey, strange things happen.

Anyway, good news. I sent vector unit an e-mail and they say they're aware of the glitches and are now working on a fix.

Temujin

I already added a couple of people here to my friendslist, but if anyone else wants another name on their friends leaderboard, my gamertag is Temujinski.

I'm really loving the game, definitely worth the 1200 points. I'm hoping the DLC will include some new tracks though.

krakov

This game is amazing and way over my expectations. I pretty much hate racing games but have a soft spot for water based racers and this is probably my favorite of the bunch already. Also, the announcer reminds me a lot of the one i Wave Race: Blue Storm.

Mrbob

So after playing the demos of Castlevania, Deathspank, Limbo, and Hydro Thunder I enjoyed HT the most. Picked it up. I've always had a soft spot for Wave Race and while this isn't the exact same type of game I'll take what I can get! Good fun.

bridegur said:
I hope this is successful enough to warrant a full disc-based sequel. It deserves it.
I'd be just as happy with a ton of DLC support (tracks, modes maybe) and an Arctic Thunder reboot too. :D

So I've played this for a few days and decided: this game is awesome in both single and multiplayer. The tracks are great, it looks great, I like the control, it's a complete steal at 15 dollars IMO. Loading times are very quick, there is a ton of great single player content and lots of unlocks. Multiplayer is super fun, I really like playing a non-weapon based arcade racer, it puts the focus on the racing and there are tons of great finishes and close calls whether you're first or in the middle of the pack. This is an absolute must buy for anyone who likes arcade racing.

Sydle

Did Vector mention if they plan to release the original Hydro Thunder tracks at any point? I would buy all of them.

Well when you get into the warehouse and make that first right, there's a gear on the right side that will open up a ramp. That'll shave some time. Other than that, just practice I'd say. I don't do any other shortcuts that I can think of.

Top Bottom