• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hydro Thunder Hurricane |OT|

S1kkZ

as a fan of the original: i love it.

-graphics are fine. water looks good (yes there are waves, but its no wave race), courses look great, framerate drops sometimes but never below 30.
-the tracks have a ton of shortcuts and 10 tokens (per course) to collect.
-controls feel very good to me.
-jumping is now easier (just press X)
-announcer is not the old one, but he does a good job (i can see my house from here)
-online mp is great and lag free (so far). i had one freeze and needed to restart the console.
-loading times are no problem at all

Anyone else getting an error code when trying to buy in the UK marketplace? Trial seems to be downloading so going to try downloading the full game from there.

load times are fine, non issue.
controls are fine, I don't see how it could be better.
graphics are fine.

but i've only played the first track, might wait for further impressions on the others before making a decision on weather to buy or not... leaning towards buy though, so far so good!

VALIS

YES!

Good control, tons of shit to unlock, lots of different boats, four different game modes, hidden packages, a cheezy announcer, leaderboards, I say again.... YES! This feels like a time capsule to the late 90s. I've been craving a game like this for 5 years at least.

"Hey, you wanna go back? I think there's a few walls we forgot to hit."
"It's shiny and spinning, must be important."
:lol

Enjoying it so far. Single Player's pretty good, Multiplayer's very painless to get in and play, and I like that it lets you pick boats the host has unlocked, so you're can play on even terms. In fact, I'm about to play a round as (real spoiler)
a rubber duck

The graphics aren't spectacular, but they're fine as they are. The music's nice, gives off a strong Dreamcast vibe which I like. Still getting the hang of the finer points of gameplay, but it's very approachable and arcadey. The stages are diverse and distinguishable, which I like. And I've already unlocked a Gamer Picture and an Avatar Award, so those are nice extra touches too.

Early impressions, glad I went ahead and bought it.

Edit: Oh god...
it gets a wind-up key for boost, shoots sparkles out of the back while you're boosting, and if it wrecks, which it does so very easily, it makes a ducky squeal and its head pops off.
:lol

Just played the trial with the MS racing wheel- amazing! It was just the right sensitivity and they mapped the boost to the right shifter for easy access. I was ready to buy before the first race was over.

burgerdog

I'm enjoying this so much more than limbo, completely different type of game, of course, but in terms of fun-factor it's not even close. This may be my surprise hit of the SoA.

Played an hour or so of this and really enjoying it! Not a huge fan of the ring races, but at least they add a little variety to things. Announcer isn't as annoying as I thought - love his lines when you pick up a secret item :lol

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Played an hour or so of this and really enjoying it! Not a huge fan of the ring races, but at least they add a little variety to things. Announcer isn't as annoying as I thought - love his lines when you pick up a secret item :lol
Yeah he's not bad, not nearly as bad as the Sonic Racing guy.

I love this game. As if I found long lost friend.

I have yet to play some online MP, but the SP is fun.

I won a few races and currently playing the other SP events available.

And yes, the loading times are fast.

DAMN THE TORPEDOS!!

S1kkZ

Neuromancer said:
I'm not crazy about the gauntlet events. Everything else is great though.
yeah, the gauntlet events get really annoying on pro (should be even worse on expert).

ShapeGSX

Neuromancer said:
Just played the trial with the MS racing wheel- amazing! It was just the right sensitivity and they mapped the boost to the right shifter for easy access. I was ready to buy before the first race was over.

Does it have force feedback?

Sh0k

jizzlobber said:
load times are fine, non issue.
controls are fine, I don't see how it could be better.
graphics are fine.

but i've only played the first track, might wait for further impressions on the others before making a decision on weather to buy or not... leaning towards buy though, so far so good!

Try playing the championship in the demo, you can play in a second track. Need to get some more MS points now :(

ok fuck it, since NCsoft are taking days to fix my account because their tech support is slower then shit i'm going to buy some extra points and pick this up.

GO GO! GO!

Cobra84

What's up with the difficulty? Novice and Pro couldn't be easier but expert is ridiculous. I know it just came out, but First place on expert Lake Powell is currently a top 10 time on the leaderboard.

fernoca

Just when I was getting ready to download this earlier, my internet decided to take a break.

Downloading the full version now. Great impressions guys; too positive I might add. :D
Was going to get this anyway, so glad to see it seems faithful to the original game; with upgrades.

ShapeGSX said:
Does it have force feedback?
Hmmm well it's definately got resistance as you turn the wheel. I didn't really notice much more than that, but I'm sure it also vibrates as you hit waves and walls. I'll try to pay more attention next time.

(I think 10+ years of rumble technology have rendered the nerves in my hands useless!)

I'm loving it so far. I've played mostly online and haven't had a bit of lag yet. The netcode feels really solid. The track design is also fairly good and the gameplay itself is fun . I never played the original but I like how they boats actually feel like boats and not just cars on water. There's also avatar awards which look pretty nice.

Why is there the Warner Bros. logo at the start? I thought MS bought this licence from midway. Perhaps they just leased it.

snoopeasystreet said:
There's also avatar awards which look pretty nice.
Yeah the shirt is cool, haven't gotten the boat yet.

EagleEyes

The load times are indeed very different going from the hard drive to a usb stick. They are super fast from the hard drive but when i transfered it to the usb stick to take to my other 360 it was at least twice as long. That might be what the ign reviewer was talking about.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
snoopeasystreet said:
I'm loving it so far. I've played mostly online and haven't had a bit of lag yet. The netcode feels really solid. The track design is also fairly good and the gameplay itself is fun . I never played the original but I like how they boats actually feel like boats and not just cars on water. There's also avatar awards which look pretty nice.

Why is there the Warner Bros. logo at the start? I thought MS bought this licence or midway. Perhaps the just leased it.

Confirmed to be leased and not bought, still, nobody better be expecting a PSN version or anything.

fernoca

Just tried it (bought it before playing the trial); but I'm glad with it. I still remember some of the tracks and the shortcuts. Vehicles handle just like I remember too. Visually looks quite nice, with the water effects being obviously the big attraction.

Haven't tried the online yet, since I know I'll suck; but really great game.

Damnit!!! I keep running out of points I'm buying so many games lately. Thank goodness they are on sale for $3.50 off through Amazon right now.

Top Bottom