• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hydro Thunder Hurricane |OT|

Vorg

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
I just ruined the Ring Master Novice leaderboard race on Seoul Stream.

I was trying to regain my #1 in the world slot for Ring Master Pro in the Paris Sewers using the Thresher as my boat. I hit restart race and all of a sudden I was in Seoul on the novice course. So, yeah, my leaderboard time is 3 seconds better than #2 now, since I was using a better boat. Really lame.

The strangest thing is, I duplicated the glitch when I went back to Pro Rings in Paris. So, I guess it's just something that will keep happening.

UPDATE:

A guy I was having a leaderboard race with figured out what the problem is. If you're looking at the leaderboards while paused during a race, when you hit restart, you'll automatically be teleported to that other track.

So I was checking out the leaderboard times for novice rings in Seoul while racing in Paris in a Pro boat, so when I hit restart, I went to Seoul novice in my pro boat.

I hope this gets fixed.

Crap. Hopefully they patch it.

VALIS

Gigglepoo said:

I was trying to regain my #1 in the world slot for Ring Master Pro in the Paris Sewers using the Thresher as my boat. I hit restart race and all of a sudden I was in Seoul on the novice course. So, yeah, my leaderboard time is 3 seconds better than #2 now, since I was using a better boat. Really lame.

The strangest thing is, I duplicated the glitch when I went back to Pro Rings in Paris. So, I guess it's just something that will keep happening.

UPDATE:

A guy I was having a leaderboard race with figured out what the problem is. If you're looking at the leaderboards while paused during a race, when you hit restart, you'll automatically be teleported to that other track.

So I was checking out the leaderboard times for novice rings in Seoul while racing in Paris in a Pro boat, so when I hit restart, I went to Seoul novice in my pro boat.

I hope this gets fixed.

I just tried this a few times and it didn't seem advantageous since the ring locations on the lower levels are deliberately placed for slower boats. I had a hard time with the Razorback. If anything this glitch made me worse. Maybe I need to use a different boat.

BTW, what's your gamertag? I need more XBLA scores to compete against.

Ranger X

Gigglepoo said:

UPDATE:

I hope this gets fixed.

LOL but this some real basic bug there. I wonder how this could pass both the testing phase AND Microsoft certification. This is an amateur bug here, super easy to find as trying restart in every screen where it's possible (wich aren't many). This is like the basic check the programmer does right after coding is stuff BEFORE sending it to testers. Seriously, lol.

sonitii

Just played the demo for about an hour. Really fun. Reminded me of the times playing Hydro Thunder in the arcade. Aaahhhhh. Good times inserting token after token. I just love these arcade type racing games.

Disappointed in the fluctuating framerate though. They should have locked it at a stable framerate even if it had to be lower. The fluctuations actually started giving me a headache.

JRW

Is it me or does the game not show how many hidden packages you've found for each track?

The only time ive seen it show anything is when you're actually on the track and find a hidden package but what if you're not sure if you've found them all on a specific track?

Hank The Tank

Neo Member
JRW said:
Is it me or does the game not show how many hidden packages you've found for each track?

The only time ive seen it show anything is when you're actually on the track and find a hidden package but what if you're not sure if you've found them all on a specific track?

If you find all the hidden packages on a track you will unlock a skin for a boat. :p

What are your favorite and least favorite tracks?

My favorites are:
  • Area 51
  • Asgard
  • Babylon
  • Lake Powell
  • Monster Island
Least Favorites:
  • Tsunami
  • Seoul Stream
  • Paris Sewers

And what are some track themes you'd like to see if there's DLC?

I'd love to see:

• A Pirates of the Caribbean type of track
  • Maybe a fantasy type of track like Lord of the Rings
  • A futuristic track like a Wipeout stage but on water
  • Maybe a haunted house stage with zombies, ghosts, gothic art design, etc.

There's a lot of things Vector Unit can do with future DLC tracks. The crazier the better! :D

Daigoro

anyone have issues with the "People Person" achievement?

it says earn 10k credits in single or multiplayer. but can that be combined, or does it all have to be in one mode?

i earned about 11.5k when i played for a bit earlier, in a combimation of on and offline pla, but it never unlocked.

Hank The Tank

Neo Member
Daigoro said:

it says earn 10k credits in single or multiplayer. but can that be combined, or does it all have to be in one mode?

i earned about 11.5k when i played for a bit earlier, in a combimation of on and offline pla, but it never unlocked.

"Earn 10,000 credits playing online or local Multiplayer events." Not single, multi...

Daigoro said:

I think it has to be online only credits.

Dandy J

So this game was really awesome, up until I couldn't find an option to disable skewed boosts in multiplayer. It seems that you always get a boost equal to your place, with very few exceptions. So if you're in first, you always get 1x boosts, and in 8th you'd get 8x. Is there seriously no way to turn this off? I went from loving the game to having 0 desire to play it. There's got to be a way to disable it.

this game is great

I'm tempted to turn my subwoofer all the way up and put the two back speakers right behind my head to really get the hydro thunder sound experience :lol

Also when choosing rubber duck from boat select the announcer voice is just hilarious

A RUBBER DUCK! said with every bit of seriousness and awesome

There really is a huge leap from Novice/Pro to Expert! Won every race event pretty easily up until the Soeul level and haven't placed above 8th since.

Still really enjoying this though.

Ranger X

Boats aren't feeling as great as in the arcades. The sound is lacking and kills the experience much. I'm not sure I will buy it anymore...

:(

stuminus3

Good demo, I think I'll be picking this up and retiring my Midway Arcade Treasure 3 disk at last...

You guys who are all thrilled to see the "return" of the crazy as shit arcade racers all made sure you bought Excite Bots on Wii, right? Right...? You fucks.

ShapeGSX

Ranger X said:
Boats aren't feeling as great as in the arcades. The sound is lacking and kills the experience much. I'm not sure I will buy it anymore...

The boat you get in the demo isn't nearly as good as the Pro or Expert boats. There is a huge world of difference between them.

Ranger X said:

You tried the online mode? You can use expert boats which are more fun than the standard ones.

i'm still on the fence about this one, not enough money for so many games.

stuminus3 said:
Good demo, I think I'll be picking this up and retiring my Midway Arcade Treasure 3 disk at last...

You guys who are all thrilled to see the "return" of the crazy as shit arcade racers all made sure you bought Excite Bots on Wii, right? Right...? You fucks.
I don't have a Wii otherwise I probably would have. =\

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
What are your favorite and least favorite tracks?

And what are some track themes you'd like to see if there's DLC?

I like them all but I'm pacing myself, only played the first 4 tracks so far.

Your haunted house idea is good, I wouldn't mind seeing a track set on the moon or Mars. I really, really, really hope they support this game with new tracks. I would definately buy a reasonably priced pack of tracks and maybe an extra boat or two.

Kron

Banned
There's definately more boats coming as DLC as you can see a brief text saying so when people cycle through in multiplayer.

Kron said:
There's definately more boats coming as DLC as you can see a brief text saying so when people cycle through in multiplayer.
Yeah I saw that... I get much less excited about new boats then I do about new tracks though.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I'm glad a lot of people are playing it. Tonight there are 23,000 playing. That's good!
:D

Maybe WBIE will get the hint and bring back the other titles in Midway's back catalog that don't involve Mortal Kombat.

JRW

I got a little carried away with Gauntlet mode lastnight I couldnt put it down, I kept replaying one track over and over trying to shave off seconds and ended up at #15 on the global leaderboard lol.

This game is a lot of fun and I like the 1st person view (boat not visible) IMO it makes controlling the boat easier and not only increases sense of speed it also improves the framerate and realism due to the screen bouncing up and down as the boat glides across the water / waves (Ive always preferred 1st person view in racing games tho).

Edit: anyone notice the "Mighty Hull" feature while boosting doesn't exist in Hurricane? your boat's mass would be increased (boat would flash) giving you the ability to knock other boats out of the way with ease, Not a huge deal but it was nice being able to send those annoying police boats flying with a single hit.

JRW said:
This game is a lot of fun and I like the 1st person view (boat not visible) IMO it makes controlling the boat easier and not only increases sense of speed it also improves the framerate and realism due to the screen bouncing up and down as the boat glides across the water / waves (Ive always preferred 1st person view in racing games tho).
Yeah I play in 1st person view too with almost every game. You still get a nice water spray effect on the camera and I think it makes it easier to judge where your craft is pointing during turns.

SonOfABeep said:
this game is great

I'm tempted to turn my subwoofer all the way up and put the two back speakers right behind my head to really get the hydro thunder sound experience :lol

Also when choosing rubber duck from boat select the announcer voice is just hilarious

A RUBBER DUCK! said with every bit of seriousness and awesome
Last night was hilarious. I was in a lobby racing with 6 rubber duckies! :lol

My gosh it was funny seeing all those rubber ducks on the tracks!

KAOS

This game is one of the most fun addictive racers in recent memory. I wish it had PGR multiplayer features like the ability to race by class/boat, number of players and the ability to set AI with different difficulty settings. It's arcade games like this that remind me of why I loved my Dreamcast and why I love the 360 even more!

Vorg

Banned
So I wrote Vector Unit an e-mail to tell them how much HTH rocks and that I was hoping for some DLC tracks. I got this answer:

Thanks a lot ....................!

It really means a lot to us to hear this kind of feedback. I will definitely pass along your email to the rest of the team.

Very glad you're enjoying the game. It's not exactly our first game, since we all worked at places like EA before this, but it's our first game as an independent studio. We're huge fans of the classic arcade racers as well, and it's great to see that there are so many people out there who feel the way we do.

We are currently working on some DLC, and I think you'll be happy with what you see :)

Matt

So DLC tracks are likely :D

acidspunk said:
So I wrote Vector Unit an e-mail to tell them how much HTH rocks and that I was hoping for some DLC tracks. I got this answer:

It really means a lot to us to hear this kind of feedback. I will definitely pass along your email to the rest of the team.

Very glad you're enjoying the game. It's not exactly our first game, since we all worked at places like EA before this, but it's our first game as an independent studio. We're huge fans of the classic arcade racers as well, and it's great to see that there are so many people out there who feel the way we do.

We are currently working on some DLC, and I think you'll be happy with what you see :)

Matt

YES! Thanks for passing this along! :D

Love the tracks so far, especially the crazier ones! Hope we see even more crazy stuff in the DLC!

This game is seriously addicting.

I have no idea how to land above 3rd place on the Area 51 level. I have tried, and tried, and tried.

PSGames

acidspunk said:

Matt

Awesome awesome awesome news! This game is like crack! :D

Dan Yo

Banned
In race mode, once you have 8/8 gold medals is that mode pretty much done? They don't have an expert or pro league with more events?

Ranger X

ShapeGSX said:
The boat you get in the demo isn't nearly as good as the Pro or Expert boats. There is a huge world of difference between them.

It's not that much about the boats anyways. It's the overall feel I'm not convinced about. You hear the boats ALOT less than in Hydro Thunder and the sound effect in general aren't as good as the first game. In overall, you feel the stress and "rage" much less in this one, it feels "cheaper". It's really the feel of the game that I don't like much.

Dan Yo said:
In race mode, once you have 8/8 gold medals is that mode pretty much done? They don't have an expert or pro league with more events?
Yeah seems like only 8 events. I'm surprised but I don't really mind, there's so much else to do.

Vorg

Banned
DTLIONS1013 said:
I thought the same thing, really pissed me off last night

This sound was in the original too. It's a bit annoying, but useful.

Edit: we should do a neogaf HTH online tournament sometime. That would be cool.

JRW

Ranger X said:
It's not that much about the boats anyways. It's the overall feel I'm not convinced about. You hear the boats ALOT less than in Hydro Thunder and the sound effect in general aren't as good as the first game. In overall, you feel the stress and "rage" much less in this one, it feels "cheaper". It's really the feel of the game that I don't like much.

I'd have to agree with the sound comments in fact I just played PC's version of Hydro today (which is a carbon copy of DC version except the load times are 100x better on PC) and the sound effects are in your face loud, even when your just picking up boosts it's like an event.

But now that Ive played through all 8 tracks in Hurricane I must say the overall fun-factor is pretty even which was my biggest concern.

The framerate was locked @ 30fps on DC / PC versions and Hurricane runs around 40-50fps which definitely feels smoother, plus the updated graphics and far better water effects make it easier to welcome Hurricane's existence (The water in the original Hydro actually looks kinda bad after playing Hurricane for awhile).

Overall I think both versions are great and Im having a blast competing against friends track times on the leaderboards. Also the new Gauntlet / Ring Master modes are addicting especially when you're trying to shave off those extra seconds.

I recorded a run through Ship Graveyard on PC version today, It was my first time playing in ages so I didn't do that great, but I placed 3rd. One of the biggest flaws with PC version (other than being stuck at 640x480!) is that the music and sound effect volumes cant be adjusted and as a result I could barely hear the music during gameplay.

I loved the V8 engine sound effects as the announcer is calling the countdown before a race (as heard in the video).

Anyhow here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQF1YsKQkNU Last second 1st place win @ Lost Island
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtubMUQRoqo

acidspunk said:
Edit: we should do a neogaf HTH online tournament sometime. That would be cool.
Good idea, but everyone has to take the duck boat. =P

Was playing last night with a buddy, just going through slowly to try to find all the packages. It was actually a lot of fun, we got all the ones from Lake Powell and that Japanese arena without too much trouble.

Vorg

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Good idea, but everyone has to take the duck boat. =P

I tried the rubber duck today and I can't control it. :( I don't know if there's something I missed but the thing doesn't seem to turn where I want it to.

Rad Hazard on the other hand... :p Love that boat.

JRW

FateBreaker said:
This game is seriously addicting.

I have no idea how to land above 3rd place on the Area 51 level. I have tried, and tried, and tried.

It's a lot harder if you're using an Expert boat due to AI difficulty.

Top Bottom