• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hydro Thunder Hurricane |OT|

Neuromancer said:
Yeah the shirt is cool, haven't gotten the boat yet.

Nice short/shorts btw.

Hate to ask again so soon, but I'm looking at potentially buying a MS racing wheel for this game alone based on this:

Does this thing support Racing Wheel feedback? As in, actual resistance (not just rumble)?

Thanks

drmcclin said:
Hate to ask again so soon, but I'm looking at potentially buying a MS racing wheel for this game alone based on this:

Does this thing support Racing Wheel feedback? As in, actual resistance (not just rumble)?

Thanks
Yes the wheel definitely has some resistance. Not a ton, but enough that it doesn't just spin freely.

scitek

I liked the demo. I might get this when it's on sale. I have too much in my backlog right now and can't really even spare $15 anyway.

VALIS

acidspunk said:
How do you stop playing this? I'm hooked. :(

I stayed up about 3 hours later than I wanted to last night playing this and the first thing I did after waking up this morning was turn it on. Better times, better boats, more tracks, hidden packages, need them!

It's super smart the way they give you more boost depending on how far behind the leader you are. If you drive fairly well you can always get back to fighting for the lead.

Anyone up for getting a gaf room going in a bit?

Played the trial for like an hour, I like it and the demo gives you plenty to do before you can either buy the game or turn it off.

60fps dropping instantly to 30 in areas, v-sync is enabled I think.

I like the co-pilot voice, it's not over used and he says a few cool things now and again.

Those planes on the first stage dropping bombs, on my 3rd race one of the pilots shouted "Swim little fishies!" as he flew away :lol

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Shard said:
Confirmed to be leased and not bought, still, nobody better be expecting a PSN version or anything.
Oh, I thought it was bought.

Hopefully, if this is as successful as I hope it is, then maybe WBIE can bring back some other Midway franchises that don't involve Mortal Kombat.

::crosses fingers for arcade-perfect port of Rush 2049::

JRW

Well ive spent a couple hours with the full version and loving it, I was a huge fan of DC version and I cant find any major complaints with this version.

All of the little touches I liked about DC version seem to be in tact here, The only thing I did notice is the sound of the boats scraping against the ramps isnt nearly as pronounced in Hurricane.

The framerate does vary but not real bad, it tries to run 60fps but cant maintain that most of the time, its more in the 40-45fps'ish range and sometimes spikes to 60fps, Not a huge deal.

From what Ive played I'd have to agree with Gamespot's 8.0 rating.

Definitely worth it if you're a fan of the arcade/dc versions.

I also dont understand how IGN complained about the load times, It takes 5 - 6 seconds to load in between tracks etc.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I absolutely adore this game. Classic arcade racing--addictive, fun, colorful, and fast.

IGN is out of their minds. There is absolutely no explanation for that review other than it was a debug version.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I didn't know Gies was writing for IGN. I never agreed with him on Rebel FM, so I can't imagine I'll agree with this review of his. Downloading now.

The game is fun! I love the fantasy themed courses.

It certainly has that "Just one more game before I go to bed" addiction!

I hope there are more courses through DLC. Eight tracks is okay but I think four more would be just perfect!

Dawkins

The demo lacks the arcade difficulty the original had. You don't sucked into it that much as you don't have to perform a perfect lap in order to follow the leader. Also feels slower than the original, especially the boost. Don't like the big slow-down when landing, really breaks your flow, didn't have that feeling in the original game.

Bluth54

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I hope there are more courses through DLC. Eight tracks is okay but I think four more would be just perfect!
Yeah for $15 a few more courses would of been nice. I would of been happy with a couple of remakes of courses from the original game.

tribal24

Banned
Dawkins said:
The demo lacks the arcade difficulty the original had. You don't sucked into it that much as you don't have to perform a perfect lap in order to follow the leader. Also feels slower than the original, especially the boost. Don't like the big slow-down when landing, really breaks your flow, didn't have that feeling in the original game.

exactly what i thought while playing the demo it doesnt feel like the arcade-_- it looks lifeless imo

Flib

This is so so good. Tons of content, course design is ridiculous, and it gets much harder and faster the farther in you get. The original was one of my favorite all time games, and this is definitely a worthy successor.

VALIS

Flib said:
This is so so good. Tons of content, course design is ridiculous, and it gets much harder and faster the farther in you get. The original was one of my favorite all time games, and this is definitely a worthy successor.

Yeah, I think someone mentioned it earlier but the game is quite tough in Expert, while Novice and Pro can be blown through pretty easily. Something to keep in mind for those putting too much stock in the demo, like that dude a few posts up.

bridegur

I don't own a 360, but I played the demo and loved it. Between this and Blur (which feels a lot like the Rush games), this may be one of the best years for arcade racers in a while.

You know what's so cool about this game? It makes me feel like I'm in a amusement park ride.

It's real fun.

I don't like the lapped tracks, but the other ones are a blast!

Vorg

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
You know what's so cool about this game? It makes me feel like I'm in a amusement park ride.

It's real fun.

I know right? The track design is pretty amazing. The boats control really well too.

VALIS

They do, a few tracks look like Disney World style theme rides, especially Storming Asgard and Monster Island.

This game is exactly what this generation is missing. Fast stupid crazy games. I'm done driving supercars in a cockpit view slowly through city streets. I want fucking dinosaurs coming up out of the water at me, Norse gods trying to hit me with hammers, and frozen mammoths bellowing at me.

Neuromancer said:
This game is exactly what this generation is missing. Fast stupid crazy games. I'm done driving supercars in a cockpit view slowly through city streets. I want fucking dinosaurs coming up out of the water at me, Norse gods trying to hit me with hammers, and frozen mammoths bellowing at me.
Yeah. That's what got me interested in the game. I love crazy crap in arcade racers, which is why I also love Split Second because of all that craziness.

Vorg

Banned
Neuromancer said:

Fuck yeah. This kind of game was the reason I loved going to the arcades when I was a kid. I love crazy shit like this.

Downloaded the demo to check it out after reading the differing opinions. I thought I would check it out then delete it. One race was all it took. That was a couple hours ago and I just stopped to realize it is bed time.

Great game and at one point while playing I thought that back in the day it would have been a full 60 dollar retail release, and I would have ate it up. This game is a steal. Seems that much love was put into it.

HurricaneJesus said:
Downloaded the demo to check it out after reading the differing opinions. I thought I would check it out then delete it. One race was all it took. That was a couple hours ago and I just stopped to realize it is bed time.

Great game and at one point while playing I thought that back in the day it would have been a full 60 dollar retail release, and I would have ate it up. This game is a steal. Seems that much love was put into it.
Yeah, I can see myself forking over $40-50 for it if it was on the PS2 or the Dreamcast.

fernoca

Online is a blast.
I suck, but I just love using the
Rubber Duck
. :lol

By the way, noticed that someone, while he/she was choosing a boat; one of the boats was called 'DLC Boat'; anything I'm missing?

Vorg

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
There's close to 10,000 people playing.

I hope that number goes up so we can some DLC!

The thing that bothers me is the fact that IGN published that shitty review and a lot of people will probably hold out on buying the game because of it. :/

fernoca said:
By the way, noticed that someone, while he/she was choosing a boat; one of the boats was called 'DLC Boat'; anything I'm missing?

I noticed this too.

acidspunk said:
The thing that bothers me is the fact that IGN published that shitty review and a lot of people will probably hold out on buying the game because of it. :/
Yeah. On some message boards, I read a lot of people saying that all because of that review. :(

Davedough

So I got home from work tonight and finally got to be able to do some multiplayer online. Very fun stuff. I was in a race with 3 rubber duckys and the others were Expert level boats I haven't unlocked yet. I managed to get 2nd consistantly in my Tidal Blast Pro boat against a bunch of expert boats. Good times.

How do you get the rubber ducky? Do you have to play the rubber ducky multiplayer game to unlock it?

feel

Wasn't really looking forward to this (despite liking it at the arcades back then), but after seeing the praise here tried the demo and it's indeed great, will buy.

Rlan

While initially down on the game from my pre-release play, I've found the online multiplayer to be far more enjoyable than the dull single player campaign.

fernoca

Davedough said:
How do you get the rubber ducky? Do you have to play the rubber ducky multiplayer game to unlock it?
Mine was there already when I jumped into multiplayer tonight. At the very end.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Ok, the jungle level is awesome. Setting yourself up in advance to collect the cans, chaining turbo around the whole track while turbo-jumping over the big waves to stay on course.

Gigglepoo

I just ruined the Ring Master Novice leaderboard race on Seoul Stream.

I was trying to regain my #1 in the world slot for Ring Master Pro in the Paris Sewers using the Thresher as my boat. I hit restart race and all of a sudden I was in Seoul on the novice course. So, yeah, my leaderboard time is 3 seconds better than #2 now, since I was using a better boat. Really lame.

The strangest thing is, I duplicated the glitch when I went back to Pro Rings in Paris. So, I guess it's just something that will keep happening.

UPDATE:

A guy I was having a leaderboard race with figured out what the problem is. If you're looking at the leaderboards while paused during a race, when you hit restart, you'll automatically be teleported to that other track.

So I was checking out the leaderboard times for novice rings in Seoul while racing in Paris in a Pro boat, so when I hit restart, I went to Seoul novice in my pro boat.

I hope this gets fixed.

Davedough

Gigglepoo said:

I was trying to regain my #1 in the world slot for Ring Master Pro in the Paris Sewers using the Thresher as my boat. I hit restart race and all of a sudden I was in Seoul on the novice course. So, yeah, my leaderboard time is 3 seconds better than #2 now, since I was using a better boat. Really lame.

The strangest thing is, I duplicated the glitch when I went back to Pro Rings in Paris. So, I guess it's just something that will keep happening.

So now the leaderboards am fail because everyone will exploit their ways to the top?

Rlan said:
While initially down on the game from my pre-release play, I've found the online multiplayer to be far more enjoyable than the dull single player campaign.
Yeah. Multiplayer is a total blast.

I can stay up all night playing it.

Daigoro

this game fucking ROCKS!

Neuromancer said:

high five. this game is so 90's classic arcade. fun fun.

Gigglepoo said:

UPDATE:

A guy I was having a leaderboard race with figured out what the problem is. If you're looking at the leaderboards while paused during a race, when you hit restart, you'll automatically be teleported to that other track.

So I was checking out the leaderboard times for novice rings in Seoul while racing in Paris in a Pro boat, so when I hit restart, I went to Seoul novice in my pro boat.

Please fix this!

oh christ. :(

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Played about 6 races of single player (just the first two environments).

Very good so far. It's like Hydro Thunder meets Split Second.

Top Bottom