• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hydrophobia |OT|

I was really looking forward to this. Then I bought it :(

Looks awful, sounds awful, plays awful. What a waste of 1200 points and what a disappointment :(

Liara T'Soni said:
Definitely have to try it, at least.

That's why I stopped reading previews. If it's not unbiased "hands-on" impressions from some guy who played it at a games show or something, it's pretty much worthless pr drivel. They play the game with a PR Manager over their shoulder pointing out the best things and dismissing the bad as "unfinished"; it's no wonder just about every preview is so positive.

Well they may also feel it's unfair to be dismissive of an "unfinished" product. Like seeing a film without proper editing (this can really affect comedy for example) might make it seem terrible even though the final product is fairly good.

Captain_Spanky said:
Well they may also feel it's unfair to be dismissive of an "unfinished" product. Like seeing a film without proper editing (this can really affect comedy for example) might make it seem terrible even though the final product is fairly good.
Yeah but these game reps know in their heart this stuff won't be improved upon in any way. I don't blame them; it's their job after all to hype the game. The system is just borked.

Zenith

Banned
FlyinJ said:
Uh oh. The creative director for this developer is on some kind of crazed rampage, going after anyone who reviews the game badly:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/09/hydrophobia-developer-defends-game-attacks-critics.ars

If I recall correctly, the last time a developer claimed reviewers were "playing the game wrong", the game was Lair.

Ugh. Always a total turn off from a dev's games. Sword of the Stars, Arma, whenever someone pulls something like that they lose all benefit of the doubt.

Vorg

Banned
FlyinJ said:
Uh oh. The creative director for this developer is on some kind of crazed rampage, going after anyone who reviews the game badly:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/09/hydrophobia-developer-defends-game-attacks-critics.ars

If I recall correctly, the last time a developer claimed reviewers were "playing the game wrong", the game was Lair.

I saw a tweet by Jim Sterling earlier today saying he had a bunch of missed calls by this woman. I thought he was joking.

Edit: ooh it's in the article. After reading that, holy crap. Psycho alert.

EXGN

Game seems really divisive. Also, the PR shenanigans are kinda weird - seems off, every time I've talked to the game's reps they've been really kind.

Zenith said:
Ugh. Always a total turn off from a dev's games. Sword of the Stars, Arma, whenever someone pulls something like that they lose all benefit of the doubt.

If people truly are "playing the game wrong" (if that means anything), then it's still the dev's fault.

But honestly, this is how reviews really should be. Not the "7 is as low as we go" marketing/hype fests that I've been seeing for the past 15 years. Not all critics should think the same thing about everything. 3's and 9's can co-exist once people start getting honest. Honesty only occurs for games like this one...where the mags and reviewers have nothing to lose by knocking it down and nothing to gain for lifting it up.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I remember when this game used to look good.

I remember when this game was a tech demo with water pouring into rooms.

It's really sad that the developer is acting like this.

The whole, "our game is different so you have to grade it differently" is actually quite cowardly.

xbhaskarx said:
No, that would be Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

This man speaks truth in regards to "this year's Shadow Complex".

I played the demo at PAX. It was fun, but didn't interest me enough to be worth $15/1200ms. If it drops to $10/800ms I'm down. That or when the rumored retail copy with future episodes is released.

Sanic

I wish the trial was longer. Anything outside of the water/flooding hook (which was in the trial for 45 seconds. Really now?) felt average. But again, there wasn't enough playtime to get a greater of the game mechanics. So I guess this is a pass for now. Water did look nice, even if the physics of it was incorrect at times.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I dunno, "Edge 3" and "Jim Sterling hate" don't actually turn me off. Funny how shitting on everything makes me not pay attention anyway.

That said, the PR lady sounded like she was overreacting... but then again, every company does this. RockStar treats reviewers like shit if they pan their games, for example. I'm sure if this was a game backed by a big publisher, reviewers wouldn't be so public about the push back anyway.

Vrakanox

I played the demo and really didn't like it. Maybe if it was more survival horror and monsters instead of terrorists?

KevinCow

Banned
Wow, this demo was pretty bad. They had some interesting ideas that made me want to like it, but it was just so unpolished, all the way down to the way the character controlled. She moves way too fast for the smaller environments, and goes from zero to full speed almost instantly.

Nevermind the glitches. In the first platforming sequence in the elevator shaft, I went to drop to the final ledge and she didn't grab on and fell to her death. Then later on when the one hallway flooded and I had to pull the switch to get the water out, everything disappeared. The room, my character, everything except the floor. Except I was still playing, so I was stuck and didn't even make it all the way through the demo.

Hmm the 3 doesnt bode well. Ill give the demo a try since I was looking forward to this for some time.

Edit: the demo isnt on PSN or XBLA in th EU, what gives?

dose

ichinisan said:
I have to say I'm enjoying this. I'm into Act 2 now and the environment kills you can get are quite fun.

And the water does look fantastic.
Umm, plant? You posted in this previous thread A LOT and seemed to know the team closely.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375644&page=4

ichinisan said:
I'll be sure to let the team know.

ichinisan said:
Its a while away from release (can't give any details on timescales). I was playing it last month and there's still some things obviously in the fix stage. I can't really go into much more detail than what you've seen in the trailer and any other bits and bobs you've picked up over the internet. I'll check with the guys and see what I can/could/can't say.

JohngPR

I played the demo and dug it, but Im not sure if I "$15 dug it".

I'd probably buy Shank and/or Lara Croft before I buy this one.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not terrible by any means, but definitely nothing special in 2010.

I mean, if I were to have played this ten years ago it would be crazy awesome. For some reason it reminds me of stuff like Blue Stinger and Carrier (though evolved well beyond those).

EXGN said:
Game seems really divisive. Also, the PR shenanigans are kinda weird - seems off, every time I've talked to the game's reps they've been really kind.

Yeah. I spoke with the the two at Gamescom and they were very nice affable people. I'd hate to get a 3/10 from a major site after investing 3 years of my life and a truck load of money into a game. I have yet to really play the game though. Just started last night and had to go to bed before anything interesting happenend.

I find the low scores really odd. Edge gave it the same score as Quantum Theory. I simply can't see the parts after demo taking such a steep turn towards the hideously appalling. It's just not possible.

dose said:
Umm, plant? You posted in this previous thread A LOT and seemed to know the team closely.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375644&page=4

I'm no plant. Just someone who is friends with some of the chaps on the development team. I'm giving an honest opinion to the game (without the guys at Dark Energy prompting). I wouldn't be any kind of gamer if I didn't note that the game has got it's own niggles and issues.

But the game does have it's own good points and I've enjoyed my time playing the game on my own, particularly the environment kills and the water has surprised me a few times.

I'm not sure what the rules are to talk up your friends game. I've seen first hand what people are feeling with the review scores but some of the comments that have been made on the internet (particularly on the EG review and subsequent news article) are plain ignorant and offensive. They have no idea what the guys have been through to get the game out yet feel empowered enough to comment. Whilst I may personally disagree with some of the hullabaloo about the reviews, I can understand where it's coming from.

Now if you think this is still some PR mouthpiece or a stooge and I've been hiding away on GAF for a couple of years going on about Mirror's Edge as some kind of cover for this week then this post won't change your mind. I'm just someone that wants my friends' hardwork to be rewarded.

Anyway hope this has put things straight.

binary

This game really reminds me of Burning Rangers. There are so many environmental effects (fire, steam, water, etc.) on the screen at any one time that it makes it hard to sense what is around you and where you are. I suppose the developers were going for that though...Anyways, I like how story focused the trial is. I'll be purchasing the full version tomorrow so I can take advantage of the rebate Microsoft is offering if you purchase 2400 points worth of stuff in October.

Mik2121

Uhm... I'm playing the demo right now and while the concept is not bad, I think they could have done much better.

For one the amount of cut scenes during the beginning was.. horrible. I just kept skipping them because it was like

Move to this table - cutscene before you reach it - Now move to the balcony - cutscene before you reach it - Now move to the door - cutscene before you reach the door - now leave the room - cutscene about what's going on outside (this one is ok) - now go to this floor - cutscene as soon as you get there - now enter the room - cutscene for the room - now talk to some guy - cutscene where the guy is dead.

Bla bla bla.. Half of those could have been just text / speech playing while the player moves around.

Other than that, the main character is incredibly ugly and the SSAO really kills it instead of making it look better. Other than that, some of the environments look pretty nice even if slightly uninspired. But I liked the ship concept.

Oh, and the effects playing over the screen sort of destroys the immersion. If this were an FPS, those effects would look fine (if a bit too much sometimes), but on a TPS, it's hard to imagine I'm an actual camera floating behind the character...

I will play the whole demo but I don't think I will be buying the full game.

EDIT - Oh and yeah, the water looks great.

Zenith

Banned
I've seen first hand what people are feeling with the review scores but some of the comments that have been made on the internet (particularly on the EG review and subsequent news article) are plain ignorant and offensive. They have no idea what the guys have been through to get the game out yet feel empowered enough to comment.

Total bullshit. If amount of effort precluded anyone from criticising a game Too Human would be GOTY. 6 missed phone calls to a reviewer is fucking crazy and shows up the devs as amateurs.

Shurs

Zenith said:
Total bullshit. If amount of effort precluded anyone from criticising a game Too Human would be GOTY. 6 missed phone calls to a reviewer is fucking crazy and shows up the devs as amateurs.

What's the story here?

Zenith said:

That's one person within the studio not the entire studio causing all that shit. As I said before I don't necessarily agree with the stuff thats been going on with the reviews, however some of the comments about the development process are wrong and offensive.

What would you have done as a friend in this situation (bearing in mind I don't work for the games industry at all)? Just said your game is shit, gutted? Or said well theres actually some good bits in here and then attempted to talk them up.

I'm not saying anyones scores or opinions are wrongs. Far from it. All I'm saying is there is some good stuff in there.

I don't want anyone to think I'm so blinkered that I don't see whats wrong with the game.

Far from it I could've gladly thrown my controller through the TV last night at the end of Act 2, but I honestly had some fun and wanted to share what I thought was fun with people.

Wizpig

One of the worst games i ever tried - cutscene cutscene cutscene 20 seconds of gameplay with bad controls cutscene cutscene.

At least in the trial.

Wizpig said:
One of the worst games i ever tried - cutscene cutscene cutscene 20 seconds of gameplay with bad controls cutscene cutscene.

At least in the trial.

That's how I felt playing the trial it was like walk over to the window. Cutscene. Walkover to the door Cutscene. Walk down the hall Cutscene Try to open door. Cutscene. It was really fucking annoying

Santiako

The trial was so bad, a shame really because I was really looking forward to this game. Thank god I didn't blind-buy this.

You know, I kinda enjoyed this, from what I played in the trial looks like a good game.

Yeah, it lacks polish, yeah controls could be way better, but the game had some cool setpieces, and you know what I enjoyed most? actual plataforming! not automatic-linear shit, I mean you can even die!! WOW.

And water looks nice and moves even better.

I have to say, though, I'm not gonna buy right now, I think it's not worth 1200MS, but I'll probably do when some deal pops up.It could have helped to my decision had some actual deep gameplay in the trial, combat and water manipulation seems like a big deal in the game and you don't get any of that....so while I liked the trial, it's still feels like a blind buy.

Relaxed Muscle said:
You know, I kinda enjoyed this, from what I played in the trial looks like a good game.

Yeah, it lacks polish, yeah controls could be way better, but the game had some cool setpieces, and you know what I enjoyed most? actual plataforming! not automatic-linear shit, I mean you can even die!! WOW.

And water looks nice and moves even better.

I have to say, though, I'm not gonna buy right now, I think it's not worth 1200MS, but I'll probably do when some deal pops up.It could have helped to my decision had some actual deep gameplay in the trial, combat and water manipulation seems like a big deal in the game and you don't get any of that....so while I liked the trial, it's still feels like a blind buy.

There is a deal active right now that if you buy 2400 MSP worth of games/game add-ons you get 800 points back. Would be good if you want this game + Comic Jumper or Meat Boy or Sonic 4.

xbhaskarx

Santiako said:
The trial was so bad, a shame really because I was really looking forward to this game. Thank god I didn't blind-buy this.

Yeah, really. I assumed I would be buying this, I'm really glad I played the trial version first.

besiktas1

well I bought this blind, based on the edge article I read (lol) and a few trailers and... Ugh. At the last act and the 1st time I really need to use the cover and shooting mechanics and it's so unresponsive. Randomly coming out of cover, not going into cover, sticking to walls in cover, stupid barrels everywhere. Up until then it was bad now it's just shit.

I will finish it cos I paid 15 bucks for it... :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The water effects are cool, but that's about it.

The controls are ASS. I'm sorry to the "plant/shrill/whatever you guys are calling him" friend-of-the-devs-dude, but it's true. Jumping backwards to the switch in the fire-security room is unintuitive and the camera doesn't pan backwards. Did the developers NOT learn from Crystal Dynamics and Naughty Dog on third person platforming from Tomb Raider and Uncharted?

Then I'm trying to pick up an item only to ROLL INTO THE FIRE. Twice. WTF.

That said, the HOLY SHIT THIS IS COOL moment of the demo for me was opening the elevator shaft after the ship starts flooding. The water grabs you and throws you into the shaft while filling up (until the door closes) then your buoyancy kicks in putting you on the surface of the water.

Like I said earlier, if the water tech was good (which it mostly is) the developers should license the tech out. It couldn't hurt if it's able to be exported and benefits developers with physics for water and stuff.

That said, the game isn't terrible for a tech demo game, but definitely not worth $15.

Downloaded the trial.

Very MEH.

Didn't help that it had more cutscenes than MGS4 either in the trial.

Walk two steps, cutscene. Press a button, cutscene. Walk a bit more, cut scene. Yeah, I can see a game in there, but they wouldn't let me try it out.

This feels like a game that the developers never really had other people playing it. The map system is confusing, ugly and most of the time useless. I'm in chapter 3 now and I really haven't seen any of this emergent gameplay due to the water....iffy controls too.

Definitely hot horrible though, but feels like the developers thought this is going to be the best game ever and take them selves a bit too seriously.

Its a damn shame, there was alot of buzz that went behide this game i remeber it seemed to get a big push on the live dashboard ages ago. Now with all the bad press from the pr cock ups and low reviews scores its going to put alot of people of this game.

Top Bottom