• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hydrophobia |OT|

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wizpig said:
One of the worst games i ever tried - cutscene cutscene cutscene 20 seconds of gameplay with bad controls cutscene cutscene.

At least in the trial.

a-ah, gotcha!
Idrophobia: a Kojima's production.
<3 MGS

MacBosse

*Boots game*
Cutscene.
*Moves 3 feet*
Cutscene.
*Moves to the left 4 feet*
Cutscene.
*Open door*
Custcene (with super annyoing Scottish dude for maximum sucky).
*Delete*

I'm sorry, this was just borderline unplayable.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Holy fuck. I really hated the demo. Cutscene after cutscene, and they weren't even interesting or filled with witty dialogue.

Not to mention that the controls were unresponsive, and running around was largely a giant pain in the ass.

Aaron

supermackem said:
Its a damn shame, there was alot of buzz that went behide this game i remeber it seemed to get a big push on the live dashboard ages ago. Now with all the bad press from the pr cock ups and low reviews scores its going to put alot of people of this game.
It's a shame a terrible game might fail? I think the bigger shame is this garbage is getting so much press when other, more deserving titles get left in the dust.

I was actually impressed how badly it controlled. It was like an early Playstation game when the devs were still wrapping their minds around having two sticks to move. I've played some truly shit games these last few years, and without a doubt all of them controlled better than this.

besiktas1

So I got round to finishing it last night and wow the ending was like the sweetcorn on the tip of a $15 turd. Capped off exactly what I thought of the whole game. Shit.

Not sure if it's a spoiler but;
it just randomly stops. Like the devs just thought fuck it I'm guessing they had enough. Maybe it was a mercy ruling on the gamer. Idk, to be continued, yeah right VERY unlikely I'll buy the sequel.

besiktas1 said:
So I got round to finishing it last night and wow the ending was like the sweetcorn on the tip of a $15 turd. Capped off exactly what I thought of the whole game. Shit.

Not sure if it's a spoiler but;
it just randomly stops. Like the devs just thought fuck it I'm guessing they had enough. Maybe it was a mercy ruling on the gamer. Idk, to be continued, yeah right VERY unlikely I'll buy the sequel.

Yeah, that caught me too. By then I had been tossing my hands in the air in the "what..." pose anyway, so I kinda figured that was coming.

They did complete it from a symmetry perspective though, but I guess that must be entertainment class 101 or something.

Apparantly the game is just divided into three parts... will it get past two, like Penny Arcade never did? Don't think so. Currently there are 12.000 players on the leaderboard and the first week is done. Since sales are unlikely to grow much further past the first few weeks, it's pretty much dead in the water. (har har Scoot)

I saw it coming with the developer playtrough though. When the lead designer says "hudless" and the screen then lits up, you kinda wonder if he's kidding. Sadly, he wasn't.

After playing it: Overall, systems do 'work' in a technical sense, but they are not connected in any real way. So the whole becomes just a garbled mess of stuff that just appears to be there for no reason.

Also: pixel perfect electric wire shooting with a controller. Really? In the middle of a firefight?

Having enemies swim as well seemed to be a bit more interesting though, but it's really more fluff and little functional design.
Considering that Edge judges games mostly from a functional perspective (not all editors, but most appear to do so) I can fully grasp how they came to a rating of 3. And I have to agree with them on that, even though it isn't like "bad joke bad" like Quantum Theory. Different kind of bad, but still bad. Pitty, for I had high hopes on this one.

RedStep

I bought it based on faith and alcohol after they promised that they fixed everything. Problem is that I played the demo for like... 5 minutes the day it came out, then shut it off in disgust.

Today I started it again. Skipped every cutscene, but shut it off because I had to do something else. I guess that's progress.

Noogy

RedStep said:
I bought it based on faith and alcohol after they promised that they fixed everything.
I did the same for the 360 version of Alone in the Dark. The update never came :(

But I think it's fantastic that these guys are doing this. There were things I really liked about the demo, and I'm willing to support anyone who really takes criticism to heart and care enough to do something about it.

watership said:
Jesus, the list of updates and fixes is insane.

http://www.hydrophobia-game.com/pure.php

Anyone playing with the patch yet?

To be fair, it has gone from something you shouldn't want to play to something you could play and actually enjoy (as far as arcade games go).

It's quite impressive to see how much they were able to change for the better, given how little can actually be changed in a game once it's done and out on the market. The changes do create some 'eddies' between the 'prepatch' and 'postpatch' game though, like the rather sudden appearance of free floating electric wires in the hallway just after you've gotten the gun and a large amount of enemies than you would expect there to be from the storyline as it was originally created.

Overall though, the patch has changed the game dramatically for the better. While not quite an all-out victory (it couldn't hope to be, since the game is already published and everything), it's an impressive improvement for any game to have. They really did take the critisism (which it rightly deserved) to heart and fixed what they could.

One can only dream of Black Ops ever getting fixed like that. (we already know from previous CoD's that will never happen).

This might all be a bit overly positive for some, but then there is a trail for good reason.

TheUsual said:
Looks like it's price has been slashed down to 400 MS Points, Gold Members only though.
I know it doesn't work for exclusive demos, but I'm assuming the 48 hour gold code won't work for deals like this either right?

I really have been wanting to check this out and 400 points is a great deal, but I just lack gold.

Buttonbasher said:
I know it doesn't work for exclusive demos, but I'm assuming the 48 hour gold code won't work for deals like this either right?

I really have been wanting to check this out and 400 points is a great deal, but I just lack gold.

48-hour trails do not influence the "license" aspect of XBL, sadly. Can't even download exclusive demos with it, afaik.

Aaron

Wow. I played the trial version when it first came out and thought it was hot garbage. Now playing it with all the improvements and it's really fun. When the trial ended, I immediately sprung for the full version. I'm guessing the game will be rather short, but for $5 I'm pretty sure it'll be worth it.

dangeROSS

I grabbed the game Yesterday. I haven't gotten to play it too much. I think I'm just barely past where the demo ends. I haven't gotten to the gun-play yet. But it seems to be a pretty competent game so far. For 400 points and after everything they did to fix things, I thought I'd give it a shot. Here's hoping the rest of the game goes well.

I bought it and played about half way through. That scottish lad is the most annoying character I've heard in a long time and I can't tell with what accent the main character is speaking.

But the game itself is fairly solid. It feels like something that would have been a Microsoft first party release on the original xbox. Well worth a fiver.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Tried the new trial, This game still sucks. I really wanted to buy this but damn it sucks.

The camera/controls are still horrible.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I read about the patch and the price drop, and decided hell for $5 how bad could it be.

It's very, very bad. Every aspect of the game is just awful. The platforming/climbing is cumbersome and imprecise, the movement of the character is terrible, with her slipping all over the place, the frame rate dips into the low 10s very often, the game throws you into meaningless cutscenes constantly, the male voice in your ear is one of the worst acted and most annoying "sidekicks" this side of that english guy from the Tomb Raider games... I could go on and on.

Even the much-lauded water dynamics are wasted. It's definitely volumetric and interesting, but who cares when the surrounding game is such a complete chore to play.

Stay far, far away from this one. Even for $5.

Vorg

Banned
FlyinJ said:
I read about the patch and the price drop, and decided hell for $5 how bad could it be.

It's very, very bad. Every aspect of the game is just awful. The platforming/climbing is cumbersome and imprecise, the movement of the character is terrible, with her slipping all over the place, the frame rate dips into the low 10s very often, the game throws you into meaningless cutscenes constantly, the male voice in your ear is one of the worst acted and most annoying "sidekicks" this side of that english guy from the Tomb Raider games... I could go on and on.

Even the much-lauded water dynamics are wasted. It's definitely volumetric and interesting, but who cares when the surrounding game is such a complete chore to play.

Stay far, far away from this one. Even for $5.

I almost bought it on impulse, but decided to try the demo first. Everything you wrote is true.

Ricker

Well i`m playing it but i`m stuck very early on...I`m in the elevator shaft that I need to climb up I guess but there`s a cut scene of the elevator burning on top of me and I have about 10 seconds to climb up and crawl somewhere but I can`t seem to find where to climb in there and the elevator falls and kills me...tried about 10 times and just gave up for now...

Zabka

I kinda like Hydrophobia, but this has to have the worst sound mixing I've ever heard in a game. You'd think a sonic gun fired in an enclosed space would make a lot of noise, but even with effects turned all the way up I can barely hear the damn thing. The same goes for the explosive rounds.

Maybe it's just because I'm playing in stereo, but this is very bizarre.

dangeROSS

I noticed the sound is weird too. Like you said I thought something like a sonic gun would create much more of a audible cool sound effect. And yet it didn't. And the enemies and their weapons suffer from the same weird sound effects where you can't really hear them at all or they just sound garbled.

I just finished the game tonight. As much as I wanted to like it, I don't think I really did. I think I would have enjoyed it much more if it was more of a slow placed survival type of game. I didn't like the combat at all. I wouldn't have minded if they cut it out of the game all-together. I did like the overall atmosphere of the game and the idea of being in a sinking ship is a cool premise for things I think.

And yes the super abrupt ending was very lame.

K' Dash

I just saw this game for 400 spacebucks and bought it because months ago before it's release everyone was talking about how cool it looks and the awesome premise, after my impulse buy I check this thread and in the end the game is crap? damn it GAF!

As if I didn't have a huge backlog already :-/

Ricker

I`m trying my best to like this game,it has some pretty awesome water effects for sure and has a fast pacing to it that I like but it seems that every other room I have to head over to GF's to find out what to do when the puzzles or indications on what to do pop up...i`m currently stuck in a room,the one where you get the CCTV tool and I can't figure out how to get out of there...

I didn't like the demo originally but grabbed it for 400 last week, too much to play right now so I doubt I will play it any time soon.

Eh it was only 400, i've bought worse :p

I was surprised by this when I played the demo today. It reminds me of Raw Danger/Disaster Report in some sort of sci-fi setting. Right now I enjoy it, and picked it up. But I'm cautious nonetheless. My gripe at the moment is the camera can get screwy, and way too many situations where control is taken away, aka, real time cutscenes. It can get quite annoying.

EDIT: After some more time with it I'm starting to see the major issues. What a waste...

Aaron

Ricker said:
I`m trying my best to like this game,it has some pretty awesome water effects for sure and has a fast pacing to it that I like but it seems that every other room I have to head over to GF's to find out what to do when the puzzles or indications on what to do pop up...i`m currently stuck in a room,the one where you get the CCTV tool and I can't figure out how to get out of there...
You have to hack the camera, switch to a different feed, and open the door remotely.

Zachack

FateBreaker said:
So it's not worth it with the fixes and the slash in price. Ouch. OK then.
I don't know if it falls apart later on but I'm beyond the demo and so far it's earned the 5bux. If this had come out in 2006 or so on XBLA it would be worth the $10 but I dunno now. It has issues but there are some clever bits and the gunplay is kinda interesting in how you have a non-lethal gun that requires environmental interaction to get rid of enemies.

I do think the very beginning was pretty bad, though. And the Scot is annoying.

nli10

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I was surprised by this when I played the demo today. It reminds me of Raw Danger/Disaster Report in some sort of sci-fi setting. Right now I enjoy it, and picked it up. But I'm cautious nonetheless. My gripe at the moment is the camera can get screwy, and way too many situations where control is taken away, aka, real time cutscenes. It can get quite annoying.

EDIT: After some more time with it I'm starting to see the major issues. What a waste...

Disaster Report was bad but had loads of excellent ideas to carry it. This is similar if you find playing in a stealthy way and using the environment fun. I enjoyed it, but I can understand why others didn't.

They do have feedback forms on the website but it's mostly more positive than the forums as negative people don't bother to give feedback, only the borderline people.

PS: Kate is IRISH. Yeah - I know. Even had the developers confirm it. Ouch.

Prophecy has been detailed, coming to PS3 and Steam with a Live Arcade release 'up to MS'. Also supports Move on PS3.

Downloadable action game Hydrophobia is coming to Steam and the PlayStation 3, Eurogamer can exclusively reveal.

Hydrophobia Prophecy is described as version 1.5 of the game that began life on the Xbox 360 last year.

It also follows the December 2010 release of Hydrophobia Pure on Xbox Live Arcade.

The game includes new levels – around 70 per cent of the game is new - and existing levels have been reworked.

The cover system has been improved, and combat is now possible from climbing points. The game is said to have a "proper, dramatic new ending", with an expanded storyline. There are new voice actors, too.

And the game has been augmented, developer Dark Energy Digital said, with feedback gathered from the Hydrophobia Listening Post.

"It's Hydrophobia 1.5, really," managing director Deborah Jones told Eurogamer.

"It's also not the original and it's also not Pure."

"The game is now hugely longer," DED boss Pete Jones added. "We've honed, refined and developed the stuff people liked, and we've added a bunch of new stuff that's gone down really well in usability tests."

The Steam version launches on 9th May, with a pre-order price of £7.64 / $10.19.

The PlayStation Network version, which launches shortly after the Steam version, supports the Move controller, and will be similarly priced.

Here, the navigation controller controls player movement, and the Move controller is used to control the camera and aiming.

Pete Jones said "the ultimate decision" on whether DED will bring Prophecy to the Xbox 360 is Microsoft's, but "it's our intention to do so".

The Steam version of Prophecy includes a developer feedback system, called Darknet, built in. It allows players to pause the game and send contextually augmented feedback to DED's servers in real-time.

Prophecy brings the Hydrophobia story arc to a close, but DED wants to expand on the concept with "other stories within the Hydrophobia universe".

"We want to be the first game and the first developer that truly has a one-to-one connection with the community," Jones said.

"We're a bit of a slow starter and we made mistakes in the beginning, but we've got there in the end. We've been committed heart and soul to this project. We believe in it completely. We've created something now we're all very proud of."

Screenshots of the Steam version are below, along with a list of Prophecy's many enhancements. These are on top of Pure's additions:

Graphics

* Enhanced environmental lighting throughout the game
* High resolution textures
* Updated video texture work
* Hugely improved particle systems throughout the game
* Depth of field effects implemented
* MLAA anti-aliasing
* Improved lighting and shadowing solutions

HydroEngine Enhancements

* Enhanced character DripMapping technology
* Improved reflection and refraction mapping
* Enhancement underwater visual effects
* Underwater depth of field effect
* Enhanced particle system and improved performance
* New high resolution RippleMap simulation responds to characters and objects
* Jump distance more accurate relative to movement speed
* Added stationary jump
* Speed of movement through vents increased and animations improved
* Speed of movement with MAVI increased
* Various animations refined to provide better feedback

Narrative and Backstory

* Scoot character remodelled
* Scoot character recast, now played by Oliver Vaquer (GTA: Liberty City Stories, The Warriors, Law & Order)
* Characterisation improved with remastered voice acting and additional scenes
* Mila characters role has been enhanced with compelling new scenes
* Storyline enhanced and completed
* Dramatic new plot points shed light on the back story and the Prophecy of Malthus
* New in game video communications enhance the narrative without disrupting gameplay
* Compelling new cutscenes and dramatic twists
* New mechanics designed around the deeper narrative
* Hydro Kinetic powers brought into the main story
* Dramatic new ending completes the story arc

Wading and Swimming

* Reworked Kate's bracing animation and responsiveness
* Eliminated undesirable situations where the character was swept out of player control
* Increased speed of recovery after being wiped out by water
* Removed invasive reactionary animations after being wiped out by water

Art Direction

* Improved environmental lighting
* Re-designed locations add variety and drama
* Spectacular new environments introduced
* Reworked environmental assets

Audio

* New and improved music tracks
* Re-mastered audio and improved sound design
* New SFX added to various feedback systems

Puzzles

* Improved lock-on effect for electric cable puzzles
* Added mini-puzzles to existing areas
* Exclusive new environments introduce new physics based puzzles
* Ability to manipulate floating objects to solve bouyancy based puzzles
* New narrative based challenges

Combat and Cover Systems

* Individual bone based enemy lock on feature (depending on difficult setting)
* Improved aim assist functionality
* Dynamic aim reticule adapts to different ammo types and combat behaviour
* Destructable object system reworked for greater feedback and effectiveness
* Greater variety of ammo earlier in the game
* AI enhancements and performance improvements
* Instant ammo collection features eliminates unneccessary button presses
* Rebalanced Sonic Rounds for more effective combat
* Reload times reduced for better combat flow

Cover System Enhancements

* Blind fire functionality added
* Turn corners while in cover and engage in flanking maneuvours
* Cover animation improvements
* More responsive and smooth cover transitions
* All new Floating Cover system
* Grab bouyant object to use as dynamic cover in water
* Use floating cover on the surface or during underwater combat
* New Climbing Combat system
* Ability to shoot and engage in combat while climbing or hanging

Levels and Game Balance

* Enhanced and redesigned levels
* Exclusive new levels to explore throughout the game
* All new mechanics, puzzles and combat added
* Dramatic new end sequence using Hydro Kinetic abilities
* Decrypting doors sequence shortened
* Tutorial added for hack mini game
* Improved feedback, waypoint design and tutorials
* Better checkpoint design
* Improved difficulty setting design
* Rationalised waypoint system choice allows players to set their preference for how much hand holding they want independently of difficulty setting

Darknet

* Contextual Dev Feedback System - bring up Dev Feedback from the pause menu at any time to comment on your experience
* Your feedback is uploaded to Dark Energy augmented with contextual information about the gamestate
* Dark Energy will continue to act upon gathered data from the playing community

GUI and Front End

* Menus reworked
* Front end menus re-designed
* In game menus re-designed

Value

* Pre-purchase the Steam version for just $10.19 / £7.64 (including 15% pre-purchase discount)
* New locations, mechanics and narrative elements extend the lifespan of the main game massively

DHj0Q.jpg

Hydrophobia just released on Steam. I know this game has and will continue to suffer from "I heard it's crap" syndrome, but for what it's worth, I just played through the 360 version this past weekend and really enjoyed it other than the lack of an ending which the Steam version apparently rectifies. I'm not saying you have to buy it now but I know I'll be picking it up when it hits $5 on sale or something.

Obviously, I played the game after the patch and I simply didn't see the problems everyone was having. I never had any issue with the controls or the camera. For a $5-$10 game Hydrophobia is pretty darn impressive, IMO. Yeah, the ending sucked, and the accents were painful and unnecessary but I don't think I've played a game that attempted to use water physics like this. The cutscenes in the full game were not that frequent or annoying. In short it was novel and fun.

But I love Bionic Commando 2009 as well so take that as you will. It was also a game where I just couldn't figure out why everyone hated it so much. These aren't perfect games but they aren't the shit people make them out to be.

Sounds like Prophecy is basically the 'three parts' that where planned originally in one go.

Once again a rather large list of improvement btw. I wish this was common in this industry.
New voiceactor for Scoot was much needed.

I've got it downloading now.. I'll post some gameplay impressions when I get a chance to play it.

I wonder if they did any testing on ATI cards..

my 6750M is not getting any textures displayed in the game..

I'll try it on my 6970 when i get home.. but needless to say I'm very disappointed.

update 2 -

Forcing AA through the ATI control panel breaks the textures and the menu of the game.

Setting it to "Use application settings" cleared up the problem for me.

This game is too graphically intense to run on "high" on my notebook.. so I'm just going to play it on my rig at home.

Ok, Dark Energy has been really busy this week..

They put out Hydrophobia: Prophecy on Monday.. as of today, it has received no less than 4 patches to fix performance, audio cut outs, camera weirdness, etc.

Right now the game is in much better shape than it was less than a week ago.

I can safely say that I'm enjoying the game all the more now and I retract my previous statements of disappointment based on the effort put forth by the devs here.

Definitely worth the $11 they are asking.

Top Bottom