• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

I've been playing Temple Run 2 non stop. Only thing I don't like is if you upgrade the power ups with gems, it's only temporary. I wasted 6 gems this way.

Looks like Fairway Solitaire will be my new addiction. The combination of golf and solitaire is very pleasing. Solitaire is always a good time killer but the golf twist and the stuff like traps, changing clubs, rare cards and special tournaments keeps it interesting. Nice presentation and lots and lots of content, too.

I love this game, but it's annoying how the extra course packs are so expensive. It's a paid game that feels freemium.

I love this game, but it's annoying how the extra course packs are so expensive. It's a paid game that feels freemium.

I got the iPhone version when they were giving it away for free about two months ago and I have almost enough currency to buy the rest of the bonus courses (minus the ones that I still need more trophies/stars for) I have left. The best things to buy initially with the in game currency are the items that make the game/minigames easier. Focus on the daily challenges (I play them everyday when I first get up) and try to get some great shot bonuses and you'll continue to earn more money than you spend by far. FYI, the bonus courses you unlock with stars/trophies are incredibly easy to get great shots on and I've gold flagged every course as I unlock them. One of the best iOS games.

Oh...My...God. All the Bravest? ALL THE BULL**** is more like it!
Way to go Square, looks like you burnt out your elite staff and have no fresh talent to back em up.

Is this the Final Failure before Bravely Default takes over as Square's new flagship franchise?

I don't think blatant cash-ins are in any way indicative of the health or direction of the franchise they happen to use assets from.

So I'm going to keep checking regardless
But what's the next time well see a widespread ios sale especially on the square side

Square sales are very infrequent with discounts ranging from negligible to decent. If they have a certain game you're interested in and you noticed they just had a sale on it in December, chances are you will not see a good sale on it for a long time.

Square sales are very infrequent with discounts ranging from negligible to decent. If they have a certain game you're interested in and you noticed they just had a sale on it in December, chances are you will not see a good sale on it for a long time.

Square sales tend to come when they have a major new release to promote. I'm not sure what's coming up from them.

In general, there'll probably be a Valentine's Day sale from others.

Goli

Square Enix tends to do sales on holidays and on major releases. When Chaos Rings II launched all their games got a discount IIRC, and when FFIV launched all FF games did.
At any rate, I'm sure that if there is a sale eventually, someone will be sure to inform us here.
By the way Demons' SoulsScore is on sale at 0.99 currently.

Square Enix tends to do sales on holidays and on major releases. When Chaos Rings II launched all their games got a discount IIRC, and when FFIV launched all FF games did.
At any rate, I'm sure that if there is a sale eventually, someone will be sure to inform us here.
By the way Demons' Souls is on sale at 0.99 currently.

If you want to be completely honest about the price of Demons' Score (not Souls, lol), you have to factor in the cost of the IAP game content unlocks. The cost breakdown is in the App Store description itself, but it's currently around $17 in total (normally about $40). You have to play through the entire game on each difficulty in order to progress to the point that the IAP unlocks become available, so you would have to finish the entire game before the sale ends to make use of it.

Or you can just buy the Japanese version, which is the entire game for the same price as the "sale".

Goli

If you want to be completely honest about the price of Demons' Score (not Souls, lol), you have to factor in the cost of the IAP game content unlocks. The cost breakdown is in the App Store description itself, but it's currently around $17 in total (normally about $40). You have to play through the entire game on each difficulty in order to progress to the point that the IAP unlocks become available, so you would have to finish the entire game before the sale ends to make use of it.

Or you can just buy the Japanese version, which is the entire game for the same price as the "sale".

Me playing Demon's Souls lately has been getting to me @_@.

xJavonta

Banned
I've been playing Temple Run 2 non stop. Only thing I don't like is if you upgrade the power ups with gems, it's only temporary. I wasted 6 gems this way.
Same. I love the new turns and hills in the game. Feels fresh and challenging. Subway Surfers is waay too easy and I've grown tired of Agent Dash.

Anyone playing 14px? It's a platformer, very challenging and fun. Kind of reminds me of Super Meat Boy in some ways. The controls are very tight. Check it out while it's free.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/14px/id576855899?mt=8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qq0qiZxRo4
Nice, I'll check this out.

Those of you playing Knights of Pen and Paper, is there an item that lets me travel between any two points instead of only being able to travel to adjacent stops? I'm getting really tired of clicking travel 5 times to get where I need to go.

Also, what is your favorite class? Right now I'm rocking the mage but my Barbarian is coming on strong.

PFD

So there's a new FMA sponsor that gives you a whopping 540 credits, gotta register with your phone number though like viber and whatsapp.

Kouriozan

I agree, temple run 2 is weird.
The mine cart part is bad when it's getting too fast (and killing my eyes too), plus there was a part where you need to slide (wall) and immediately jump a gap (twice in a row), you really can't do that because you can't see what's coming after the wall.
This game is too frustrating for me >.<

Zeth

Considering Hunters 2 while it's on sale. As someone who's never played strategy games, but recently became hooked on XCOM, think I might like it?

ToxicAdam

Those of you playing Knights of Pen and Paper, is there an item that lets me travel between any two points instead of only being able to travel to adjacent stops? I'm getting really tired of clicking travel 5 times to get where I need to go.

No.

Also, what is your favorite class? Right now I'm rocking the mage but my Barbarian is coming on strong.

Thief is a beast. High attack, high crit and can hit twice in a round.

Been playing The Last Express, and really enjoying it. It's great to just soak in the atmosphere and conversations. I'm currently in Paris as well (though notably not on the run from the police), so it sets the mood nicely.

GeekyDad

Considering Hunters 2 while it's on sale. As someone who's never played strategy games, but recently became hooked on XCOM, think I might like it?

Don't go into it expecting anything on the level of the new Xcom, but for a buck, it's pretty cool. But as someone who has been playing strategy games for decades, I found it frustrating in many regards.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Has anyone heard of/tried Crossword Dungeon?

Flunkie

Banned
Been playing Blockheads and Kingdom Conquest 2 lately.

Blockheads is the love child of Junk Jack and Minecraft, but with easier "hands-off" tap-to-move and everything else controls. This also means queuing of events, which is great. The downside is that the wait times when crafting are slow, but that's why it's free. After unlocking the full game it becomes much more like a full paid-for game, and the in-game currency can be earned by finding the crystals in the world. You can also make different mining tools that multiply the amount of resource that you recover, so if you make a really rare diamond pickaxe, for example, and find some time crystals (the name of the in-game currency), you will multiply your recovery by either 3 or 5 times the amount you'd have received if you just mined it normally. I like it better than both Minecraft (or Eden) and Junk Jack because of the controls and the UI. It's perfect for iOS, not trying too hard or trying to cram as much content in then not explaining anything to you (like Junk Jack is sort of guilty of). My only complaints the wait/crafting time, and eating/energy can be annoying sometimes, but both of these qualms are solved once you get into the game and earn enough crystals to buy another Blockhead, making it much easier to do the things you want in the game.

Kingdom Conquest 2 is a cool concept, and has a mess of a UI, but the concept is cool and I'm liking it so far. The first eems to be one of the more popular freemium games. At first glance, at least to me, it seems to be a mix of short dungeons played out third person ARPG style, monster card collecting (and thus team making) like Puzzle & Dragons, and a town builder. Seems like it's got a decent enough hook if I can hang with the UI. And my invite code is "e22fde6b" if anyone wants to try it out. It's pretty neat, at least so far.

I also tried Guardian Cross again for the second time. Lol I don't know why I reinstalled it in the first place. Pointless game.

Edit: Did I mention KC2 has online coop? Gameplay is pretty basic, but it has a fully functioning online battle system, with 5 classes. Plus you get "clear tickets" for clearing dungeons (and loot and the such), which you can go to the store and turn in for more monsters. Can see this becoming addicting.

Goli

Sega should release a game based only on Kingdom Conquest/Kingdom Conquest II's battle/dungeon crawling portions, they're like Phantasy Star Online mobile, or something like that. I'd definitely buy it. That's what kept me playing Kingdom Conquest for a while but I never liked the city-building aspect much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom