• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zia

I do not understand how Temple Run blew up as it has. It's hideous, even with a new coat of polish, and there's no positive, tactile feedback. Your gestural swipes feel like you're commanding a bumper car to do your bidding over walkie talkie. I'm going to keep messing with it throughout the day but, unlike something like Angry Birds which has an obvious instant appeal, I get the feeling Temple Run is simply a bad game, something you don't "get" unless your social sphere is plugging away on the leaderboards, much like a Cow Clicker.

Never really took to Temple Run, but Temple Run 2 is starting to get it's hooks into me. Some control glitches are incredibly annoying, but having fun with it so far and the draw distance isn't bothering me at all. Playing on iPad and wishing it was a mini.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I do not understand how Temple Run blew up as it has. It's hideous, even with a new coat of polish, and there's no positive, tactile feedback. Your gestural swipes feel like you're commanding a bumper car to do your bidding over walkie talkie. I'm going to keep messing with it throughout the day but, unlike something like Angry Birds which has an obvious instant appeal, I get the feeling Temple Run is simply a bad game, something you don't "get" unless your social sphere is plugging away on the leaderboards, much like a Cow Clicker.

- Introduced missions to infinite runners
- Nice gradual skill curve, you're always able to buy something new or increase your score, never feels "random" really
- Good social elements, like seeing your friends scores during your path
- Nice audio

You're totally right about the controls though, and it's pretty ugly.

If you want a crummy infinite runner with a busted business model and unfair controls, check Gunstringer DMR on Windows 8.

KingKong

It was the first of one of the first of its type (non-challenging coin collect mission iap runners) and one of the few runners with a head on perspective

I find them all (temple run, jetpack joyride, punch quest, ski safari) to be really crappy and a lot worse than Canabalt

Time Surfer is pretty decent though

GeekyDad

I do not know if it is already been stated, but Dungelot is really damn addicting.
I'm playing now with the Necromancer (already maxed out) and having TONS of fun with this little gem.

Just erased it last night. I agree, it is fun, but the grind was just too slow to tolerate. A few hours later and I still hadn't reached level 25 (necessary to unlock the dwarf). Cool, little game, though. If they ever reel the grind in a bit, I may go back to it. For a buck, it's worth checking out.

PittaGAF

What exactly is going on there?

It's like a mix between a Dungeon Crawler and Minesweeper...very cute and well made.
You have to go deeper and deeper in the dungeon...and every X floor you find new (cool) monsters and even some light quests.
Dev seems pretty active and want to add a campaign mode (with an end and more quests).
You have a character (can unlock additional characters playing) and can upgrade his 4 special powers (to a max of level 4).
I unlocked and maxed out the first two.
I'm finding it very fun and a bit deeper than it looks expecially around level 30...nice cool permament loot too.
Surprisingly, there is no IAPs at ALL.
There is a lite version too (which I deleted like after 5 minutes because didn't clicked with me and those damn ADS where a bit too invadent); I won a code via Twitter and gave the game a second chance...since then I was hoplessy addicted...nice time waster between BotB turns :)

PittaGAF

Just erased it last night. I agree, it is fun, but the grind was just too slow to tolerate. A few hours later and I still hadn't reached level 25 (necessary to unlock the dwarf). Cool, little game, though. If they ever reel the grind in a bit, I may go back to it. For a buck, it's worth checking out.

Well...did you upgraded the first characters first?
I noticed than if you find cool permament loot in the first stages (like the Lantern, the Armour, The glyps and so on...not the consumable ones) it will be much easier.
Save those sheeps powers for the Goblin King! :)

I guess my tolerance for forced movement games is at an end. I hate Temple Run and get not joy from Joe Danger. Still loving the Trials ripoffs though.

Zia

- Introduced missions to infinite runners
- Nice gradual skill curve, you're always able to buy something new or increase your score, never feels "random" really
- Good social elements, like seeing your friends scores during your path
- Nice audio

You're totally right about the controls though, and it's pretty ugly.

It was the first of one of the first of its type (non-challenging coin collect mission iap runners) and one of the few runners with a head on perspective

I find them all (temple run, jetpack joyride, punch quest, ski safari) to be really crappy and a lot worse than Canabalt

Ah, thanks for clueing me in. I will say, in defense of Jetpack Joyride, at least it has a high level of tactility -- it's engaging as a toy, something to touch and roll over in your hand, unlike Temple Run. My problem with it, and the rest of Halfbrick's output, is the offensively inoffensive Playskool aesthetic.

xxczx

Just got an iPhone 5 and been wanting to get TWEWY but reviews are saying it's not optimized for the screen? Is it that bad or still playable?

I reaaaalllyy want to play it

ToxicAdam

Dungelot has 'the bones' of a great game, it just needs a lot more added to it. It was encouraging how much more content was added from the time I played it on my PC back in November to the IOS release. Hopefully he keeps adding to it, because it could turn into something special.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The new FF game looks so trashy. Like a video poker machine barfed out random sprites or something.

KingKong

The best infinite 'runner' is and always will be hook worlds. No one ever talks about it though! But it's fucking awesome.

that's because Hook Champ was awesome (one my favorite iOS platformers) and they ruined it by making it an infinite runner :(

I did like all the weird different levels though, the gravity changing one especially

Malajax

Any love for Zen Pinball? Any suggestions for the best tables to buy? I've played 3 Marvel tables (Civil War, World War Hulk, and X-Men) and they all kinda suck. I like the concept of virtual pinball tables, but the ones I've played so far don't give me much hope.

I have been playing a lot of Subway Surfer lately, I just wish the environment changed more (or maybe it does and I just suck too much to make it that far).

Yea, I wish it would be more apparent that he was going through different parts of the city, or some weather changes or something. I love it though, the music, how it feels. It's so relaxing to me.

My favorite genre is the endless/automatic runner stuff on mobile. In my mind, I divide them into the 3D into the screen ones and the 2D side scrolling ones.

I like the level based ones the best. I still play and enjoy and Zombie Parkour Runner. Rayman Jungle Run is one of my games of the year (I wish Sega would make a Sonic clone of it).

But overall, I like all of them. I try to give all of them a chance.

I have never knew about this Hook Champ game. Now I shall get it. Thanks thread! heh.

GeekyDad

Well...did you upgraded the first characters first?
I noticed than if you find cool permament loot in the first stages (like the Lantern, the Armour, The glyps and so on...not the consumable ones) it will be much easier.
Save those sheeps powers for the Goblin King! :)

Yeah, I was throwing all of my coin into upgrading him, mainly his passive stats (the last option). Even still, I think the highest I ended up getting before deleting the app was level 22. It just wasn't giving me enough of that soft sweet treat for all the trudging I was doing. It is a cool gameplay formula. I think it would have been more enjoyable, though, as an actual Rogue-like. The teeny tiny dungeons, along with the pick-up-and-play nature would have made it a nice Rogue-like-lite, if you will.

PFD

I like the level based ones the best. I still play and enjoy and Zombie Parkour Runner. Rayman Jungle Run is one of my games of the year (I wish Sega would make a Sonic clone of it).

Then you should check out Polara, and Gear Jack. Both level based, and both are awesome.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Don't get the Temple Run love.

I like Repulze for what it is. Definitely scratches that futuristic racer itch plus more content on the way. Arc Squadron is also a solid choice.

Did you get infinity blade or infinity blade 2?

I got the first one, sadly i noticed there was a sequel just after purchasing. Is 2 much better than 1 ?

that's because Hook Champ was awesome (one my favorite iOS platformers) and they ruined it by making it an infinite runner :(

I did like all the weird different levels though, the gravity changing one especially

I honestly never played hook champ, I already had hook worlds when I saw it and I figured I didn't need 2 hook games. Haha. I will get it if its good.

I do! One of the best games on iOS ever. Perfect mechanics.

Glad someone here knows what is what.

kodt

Banned
Are there any good tower defense games out there? (besides plant vs zombies)

Kingdom Rush is a popular choice.

Fieldrunners 1 + 2 are both very good.

Anomoly Warzone Earth and Anomoly Korea are both good reverse tower defense games.

BooJoh

Yeah, I was throwing all of my coin into upgrading him, mainly his passive stats (the last option). Even still, I think the highest I ended up getting before deleting the app was level 22. It just wasn't giving me enough of that soft sweet treat for all the trudging I was doing. It is a cool gameplay formula. I think it would have been more enjoyable, though, as an actual Rogue-like. The teeny tiny dungeons, along with the pick-up-and-play nature would have made it a nice Rogue-like-lite, if you will.

I found that the easiest way to get to higher levels is to first upgrade a character a lot (I maxed stats on Paladin and got level 3 on his other skills,) then rack up some spare coins, and when you get lucky enough to get a shop early on in a game, buy a bunch of attack boosts for a nice head start. I unlocked the dwarf this way and got to 32, almost far enough for the Assassin.

I'm new to the whole iOS thing and I'm a little confused on something. I downloaded Dungelot Lite and after playing it for a while I decided I wanted to get the full version. This is my first app store purchase, and I used the in-app Upgrade button, and it removed the ads and unlocked the other features, but the app is still listed as Dungelot Lite.

Does upgrading through IAP not flag ownership of the full version of a game? If I'd known this I would've just gone and bought the non-lite version.
Quoting myself because I'm still hoping for an answer.

Also, how long does it typically take for these charges to go through?

Vomiaouaf

In terms of endless runner games, how come Pitfall is getting no love? Their in-game currency / freemium model can suck it, but the game itself is pretty awesome :-o (until you have no 'gems' anymore and then it sucks)

Just got an iPhone 5 and been wanting to get TWEWY but reviews are saying it's not optimized for the screen? Is it that bad or still playable?

I reaaaalllyy want to play it

Not optimized for iPhone 5 usually means the game doesn't take up the entire screen. In most cases it'll still look and run exactly the same as it did on the previous iPhone generation. Not a dealbreaker.

Minsc

Gold Member
Dungelot has 'the bones' of a great game, it just needs a lot more added to it. It was encouraging how much more content was added from the time I played it on my PC back in November to the IOS release. Hopefully he keeps adding to it, because it could turn into something special.

Here's a screen and some info for an upcoming version, sounds like there's quite a few changes down the road for it as well. I don't get the complaints about grinding in the game to progress, just avoid unnecessarily losing life (by fighting battles that you don't gain anything from) or spending all your money opening doors in a run and you should end up with over 1000 gold each time, which usually buys a permanent upgrade. I see people making it in to the 90s, but I think there's too much luck in having the right set of items to last that long. The rings of health per floor and treasure map/laterns drastically reduce the difficulty since you know where to head/avoid on each floor. Getting those early with a suit of armor can set you up pretty well. But that's the slot machine aspect to it I guess, which is part of the draw, not knowing what you'll find next.

I got the first one, sadly i noticed there was a sequel just after purchasing. Is 2 much better than 1 ?

I like them both, but 2 is a much, much deeper game with a bit more story, different fighting styles, a gem forging system, treasure maps, an overall larger world with several branching paths.

Play around with the 1st one for a while but definitely get 2 at some point.

Heel

Angry Birds Rio HD is free. Somehow I've ended up with all of the Angry Birds games now. What happened.

lol same here. This was the only Rovio game I didn't get one way or another, even though I've barely played any of them beyond the original Angry Birds.

I have been playing Bad Piggies this week, though. It's pretty great.

Played through the first couple sets of dungeons in hook champ. It's a really good game, I like the mission based part of it. It's controls are no where near as good as hook worlds though. I understand that there is more to do in hook champ, but it still needs better controls.

I will keep playing it though!

Alpha_eX

Had a quick play of Momonga. It's not too bad but really frustrates me that you have to play a level 5 times to do all of the challenges. For example, the first challenge is complete the level, second (in this example) is collect all the stars while flying. I collected all the stars while flying first time round, but I didn't complete the second challenge, as it only unlocks after beating the first.

Don't think I'll get on with this game well, I hate things like that where it seems to forcefully stretch the game out. At least the new levels don't require you to click the padlock to unlock them *cough* Joe Danger *cough* - that really grinds my gears.

Heel

I'll stake my reputation on recommending Cubed Rally Redline, which is on sale for free at the moment.

It starts off deceptively simple and somewhat slow, but once you've unlocked a faster car it turns into an awesome twitch reflex score attack game.

You can only attempt one mission at a time, of increasing difficulty, which are mainly divided into:

-Collecting coins (you only bank coins once you've survived a lap)
-Reaching a set score (you can only score by collecting a drift icon in corners and not switching lanes while you string together a combo. Gas cans increase your speed and risk of crashing but also increase your drift multiplier.)
-Reaching a distance (collect gas canisters to keep going and avoid obstacles for as long as possible at increasing speed).

All three of these present a different way of approaching a race. A race which will end within a few minutes and left me wondering where the time went after a long stretch of "just one more race...".

There's also an awesome Matrix-like emergency break mechanic that slows time to aid you in weaving through difficult sections of the track. It's so satisfying once you get the hang of this and manage to survive a difficult stretch. Don't neglect this!

So yeah, grab it and tell me how right or wrong I am!

Oh man I loved both Hook Champ and Super QuickHook so much! But same as you I didn't really take to Hook Worlds. Wish they would make more standard hook games.

Edit: anybody who is interested in getting into the old hook games should wait, they are rereleaseing Super QuickHook and Hook Worlds with iPhone 5 support and some other things I think so it's best to wait.

Mairu

I'll stake my reputation on recommending Cubed Rally Redline, which is on sale for free at the moment.

It starts off deceptively simple and somewhat slow, but once you've unlocked a faster car it turns into an awesome twitch reflex score attack game.

You can only attempt one mission at a time, of increasing difficulty, which are mainly divided into:

-Collecting coins (you only bank coins once you've survived a lap)
-Reaching a set score (you can only score by collecting a drift icon in corners and not switching lanes while you string together a combo. Gas cans increase your speed and risk of crashing but also increase your drift multiplier.)
-Reaching a distance (collect gas canisters to keep going and avoid obstacles for as long as possible at increasing speed).

All three of these present a different way of approaching a race. A race which will end within a few minutes and left me wondering where the time went after a long stretch of "just one more race...".

There's also an awesome Matrix-like emergency break mechanic that slows time to aid you in weaving through difficult sections of the track. It's so satisfying once you get the hang of this and manage to survive a difficult stretch. Don't neglect this!

So yeah, grab it and tell me how right or wrong I am!

Thanks for the heads up. I was playing this about a month ago on my sister's iPad but I was too cheap at the time to pay for it. It's pretty fun!

It starts off deceptively simple and somewhat slow...

Yeah, I gave it a quick go last night and found it way too slow. Didn't realise there were different cars and stuff though, so I may go back and have another look. Always loved Cubed Rally Racer.

What's the IAP mode like in this? It doesn't really say what it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom