• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heel

Yeah, I gave it a quick go last night and found it way too slow. Didn't realise there were different cars and stuff though, so I may go back and have another look. Always loved Cubed Rally Racer.

What's the IAP mode like in this? It doesn't really say what it is

Yeah, it doesn't do a very good job at explaining it, but the coins you collect go towards cars which are rated between 1-3 stars. The stars equate to your starting speed, which is almost like a difficulty slider. The faster cars also string together more points while drifting. Try unlocking a faster car before giving up.

The only IAP I've seen is 99 cents to unlock a rally mode, which is 20 speed attack race courses.

There's probably some kind of IAP to buy coins to unlock cars, but I unlocked the fastest car without IAP relatively easily while completing missions.

The only IAP I've seen is 99 cents to unlock a rally mode, which is 20 speed attack race courses.

Yeah that's the one I meant, just wondered how it played since it's obviously completely aside from the main mode but it doesn't give you any levels for free to see what it actually is

Heel

Yeah that's the one I meant, just wondered how it played since it's obviously completely aside from the main mode but it doesn't give you any levels for free to see what it actually is

I bought it just as a thanks to the dev. There was nothing too interesting through the first few races.

They're set courses that have lasted about 30-60 seconds, and you attempt to set a 3 star time. Scoring with drifts deducts from your final time.

I guess it could end up getting really difficult towards the end, which could be fun, but so far it just seems like a way to challenge friends with times on the leaderboards. The 3 star aspect hasn't been difficult at all with the fastest car.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Rhythm Fans: Has anyone in here played both Tap Sonic and DJ Max Ray?

Not sure which one I should go with between the two. They seem like they're pretty much the same, but Tap Sonic has more music.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Looks like Fairway Solitaire will be my new addiction. The combination of golf and solitaire is very pleasing. Solitaire is always a good time killer but the golf twist and the stuff like traps, changing clubs, rare cards and special tournaments keeps it interesting. Nice presentation and lots and lots of content, too.

Bricky

Rhythm Fans: Has anyone in here played both Tap Sonic and DJ Max Ray?

Not sure which one I should go with between the two. They seem like they're pretty much the same, but Tap Sonic has more music.

DJ Max Ray is free right? Why not just try that first? Don't know about the other one.

PittaGAF

Here's a screen and some info for an upcoming version, sounds like there's quite a few changes down the road for it as well. I don't get the complaints about grinding in the game to progress, just avoid unnecessarily losing life (by fighting battles that you don't gain anything from) or spending all your money opening doors in a run and you should end up with over 1000 gold each time, which usually buys a permanent upgrade. I see people making it in to the 90s, but I think there's too much luck in having the right set of items to last that long. The rings of health per floor and treasure map/laterns drastically reduce the difficulty since you know where to head/avoid on each floor. Getting those early with a suit of armor can set you up pretty well. But that's the slot machine aspect to it I guess, which is part of the draw, not knowing what you'll find next.

I really wish you could buy those kind of objects in the shop.
Still...I find the game really addicting.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
DJ Max Ray is free right? Why not just try that first? Don't know about the other one.

They're both free to download and play a few songs, but you have to buy most of the music to play.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Gonna recommend Infestor: http://appshopper.com/games/infestor

it's a platformer and you play as a blob that takes over peoples bodies to complete levels, the only thing is that there are 60 levels and the first ~30 are pretty easy. also its by the guys who made League of Evil

Playing it now. Pretty cool. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of long levels for 99 cents anyway. One problem is every time I infest someone it keeps popping up that I have gotten the infestor achievement. Seems like a pretty obvious bug that would have been caught in testing.

Any love for Zen Pinball? Any suggestions for the best tables to buy? I've played 3 Marvel tables (Civil War, World War Hulk, and X-Men) and they all kinda suck. I like the concept of virtual pinball tables, but the ones I've played so far don't give me much hope.

I've been playing this off and on for a while but the only extra table I've bought is the Tesla one, which I haven't really been able to get into at all. For some reason I keep going back to Sorcerer's Lair over and over while hoping that the other tables go on sale at some point.

Manax

Looks like Fairway Solitaire will be my new addiction. The combination of golf and solitaire is very pleasing. Solitaire is always a good time killer but the golf twist and the stuff like traps, changing clubs, rare cards and special tournaments keeps it interesting. Nice presentation and lots and lots of content, too.

Recently upgraded to the full version on iPad. Great game and literally hundreds of hours of content. Sometimes you can feel a bit shafted when your cards dont work out and you get a 9+ hole but always chasing that 3 stars like a crack addict

Plenty of content for free for people who want to check it out before buying too

Minsc

Gold Member
Any love for Zen Pinball? Any suggestions for the best tables to buy? I've played 3 Marvel tables (Civil War, World War Hulk, and X-Men) and they all kinda suck. I like the concept of virtual pinball tables, but the ones I've played so far don't give me much hope.

Well the Epic Quest table was described here, it's probably the most unique of their tables having persistent stats between games to increase. They put out 2 updates in the last couple of months to break a pretty long dry spell on iOS prior to that. I keep hoping one day the Plants vs. Zombies table makes it over, but that might be some wait still.

Hypatia

Has anyone tried Momonga yet?

I'm not a huge fan of Pinball but Momonga is pretty fun. Very nice artstyle too. Each level is made up of lots of smaller pinball tables where you have to complete specific tasks (mainly hitting buttons or breaking down barriers) before a portal opens up to the next table (though sometimes the portal is already open meaning the tasks are optional).

There are also parts where you glide and collect items on your way to the next table, which work fine, they're just a bit dull so far. It's largely just a pinball game though so whether or not you enjoy it is going to depend on how much you like pinball.

bonesquad

So I get home today to find this medium-large box from UPS. I didn't recall having ordered anything, but it wouldn't be the first time:) When I opened the box I found this (yes, that's a Nexus 7...for size comparisons):

XNZL2.jpg

The mini hoops I won from playing Slam Dunk King! I forgot about that, but expected some small cardboard 'thing' sent to me in a plastic bag through USPS. This is much better than I expected. it's pro-grade! Thanks Pikpok! (Or whoever:)

Just saw this on twitter

I think i'll pick up Penny Arcade and maybe the Ascension, Storm of Souls
http://www.playdekgames.com/game_catalog.php

Wow. That's crazy. People should buy up everything at that price (does that include the Summoner Wars Everything bundle?). I never got into Nightfall, but I'll get the DLC for a buck just to complete my Playdek collection:)

Minsc

Gold Member
Haven't seen it mentioned much, but Heroes & Castles is a nice little third person / over-the-shoulder castle defense game, where you get to upgrade units and castle components in the campaign, choose among three different heroes (each with their own attack style and upgrade-able skill set) that definitely scratches that castle defense / upgrade stuff itch. And it looks pretty nice too, with around like 100 units on the screen at once fighting each other. Each level plays out with a hero at the start, and you get 1 gold per second or something, then can spend it on buying castle upgrades (to increase gold output / defense / offense) or units to help you fight. The interface works pretty well with the last few things you buy easily accessible and the battles are pretty fun. Worth a look for $2.

heringer

Haven't seen it mentioned much, but Heroes & Castles is a nice little third person / over-the-shoulder castle defense game, where you get to upgrade units and castle components in the campaign, choose among three different heroes (each with their own attack style and upgrade-able skill set) that definitely scratches that castle defense / upgrade stuff itch. And it looks pretty nice too, with around like 100 units on the screen at once fighting each other. Each level plays out with a hero at the start, and you get 1 gold per second or something, then can spend it on buying castle upgrades (to increase gold output / defense / offense) or units to help you fight. The interface works pretty well with the last few things you buy easily accessible and the battles are pretty fun. Worth a look for $2.

Yeah, I'm playing it. Pretty fun!

PFD

Quoting myself because I'm still hoping for an answer.

No one seems to have answered this, so here's what I think. Let me preface this by saying that I haven't played the game in question, but from my experience with the app store in general, when devs give you an option to upgrade a 'lite' version with IAP, it should become functionally identical to the 'pro' version. The app store/ios is not sophisticated enough to change the app name and reflect the 'pro' status, but in terms of functionality, this should be identical to buying the pro version.

Only drawback is if you delete and redownload the app for whatever reason, you'll have to go into the app settings and do a 'restore purchases' to re-unlock the full version. And also, you're stuck with 'lite' in the app title.

BooJoh

No one seems to have answered this, so here's what I think. Let me preface this by saying that I haven't played the game in question, but from my experience with the app store in general, when devs give you an option to upgrade a 'lite' version with IAP, it should become functionally identical to the 'pro' version. The app store/ios is not sophisticated enough to change the app name and reflect the 'pro' status, but in terms of functionality, this should be identical to buying the pro version.

Only drawback is if you delete and redownload the app for whatever reason, you'll have to go into the app settings and do a 'restore purchases' to re-unlock the full version. And also, you're stuck with 'lite' in the app title.

Thanks. My main concerns were if it'll receive all the same updates as the Standard version, and I was also curious if updating a Lite game vs buying the Standard version would put you on different leaderboards.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Is there a halfway decent Sim City clone on iOS? The actual Sim game doesn't seem to have too many good reviews.

Also, it's a damn shame that Blokus is broken on iOS with it's forced hint system. Gah.

Ranger X

Is there a halfway decent Sim City clone on iOS? The actual Sim game doesn't seem to have too many good reviews.

Also, it's a damn shame that Blokus is broken on iOS with it's forced hint system. Gah.

Decent SimCity clones ar hardly existing in any platform and even Maxis is currently having a hard time making one :p

matt360

Has Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition been updated at all? Or is there one planned? I've been out of the loop for a while. I really wanted to give this game a whirl (never played the original) but was advised not to by several people and reviewers due to spotty controls. Have they been addressed?

PFD

Has Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition been updated at all? Or is there one planned? I've been out of the loop for a while. I really wanted to give this game a whirl (never played the original) but was advised not to by several people and reviewers due to spotty controls. Have they been addressed?

It hasn't been updated yet, but a new update has just been submitted by the dev a few days ago that would catch it up with the PC version. It should be approved by Apple sometime next week.

In addition to bug fixes, the update should add a 'smart radius' feature that would address the touch control issues, as well as iOS 5.1.1 and ipad 1 compatibility.

For those who have played Momongo, check out this fascinating article from the dev on making of the game. I actually liked the 'infinite pinball' concept they had going early on.

http://www.paladinstudios.com/2013/...-adventures-or-how-to-actually-launch-a-game/

matt360

It hasn't been updated yet, but a new update has just been submitted by the dev a few days ago that would catch it up with the PC version. It should be approved by Apple sometime next week.

In addition to bug fixes, the update should add a 'smart radius' feature that would address the touch control issues, as well as iOS 5.1.1 and ipad 1 compatibility.

For those who have played Momongo, check out this fascinating article from the dev on making of the game. I actually liked the 'infinite pinball' concept they had going early on.

http://www.paladinstudios.com/2013/...-adventures-or-how-to-actually-launch-a-game/

Thanks so much, looks like I'll be taking the plunge quite soon!

SteveWD40

Not seen this mentioned, but this amazing looking upcoming ARPG is looking for Kickstarter funding to enable a tablet version:

Akaneiro

The development video shows the current tablet UI (pretty far in to the vid), you might argue they are using it as a carrot to get kick-started and it might come out anyway but I really like the look of it and it pisses from a great hight on all other iOS ARPG's from what I can see in terms of depth and artistic direction.

Developers have some pedigree but not so much they have no business on Kickstarter, it's sitting at nearly half the $200k goal with 15 days to go, I went for a mid-range pledge but they have plenty of options.

Edit: Just noticed it says it's f2p, not sure how that affects the game, if the money is for cosmetics that can be bought via playing also then that's ok, hope that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom