• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Onemic

I don't think I can do it with Takuma anymore. Been spending the last 2 weeks practicing solely with him, and only working on his execution rather than trying to get accustomed to the game and its offense. I actually think it halted my progress in learning the ins and outs of the game as I was too focused on getting his hard as nails execution down. Think I might switch to my OG character Andy that I was trying to main over a year ago when I go the game on consoles. Used him for a few minutes and forgot how simple he is in comparison.

I played 2 matches against the same player, with 2/3 bar connection, even peaking at 4. delay was less this time, around 0.5 sec.

but unlike SF4, connection stability is much less guaranteed in this game.

In my experience, connection stability has been 100% dependent on how stable the opponents connection is. Bad matches that were 3 or 4 bars have so far always been because of connection stability issues on the opponents or my side.

ShinMaruku

The problem isn't the netcode (anything above 2 is fine with me, compared to the console version which was trash all around), the problem is the playerbase isn't playing online. At all. EVER. Everytime I try to join playermatches (which are supposed to be super casual/just fuck around and don't care) there is NO rooms. I haven't tried ranked (and can't care to try) to see if that is thriving like consoles, but it's really annoying to buy a title and not have player rooms. I think this is the first fighter I have EVER seen drop playermatches within a week of launch. It's crazy.

I can believe that. But SNK needs to fix it pronto. If I can't play online, why the hell would I buy the PC version?

I just don't think KOF is the right game to build up a good online player base on pc.

I just don't think KOF is the right game to build up a good online player base on pc.

It was probably going to be the cheapest place to try to make fixes to the online component. I don't know the cost of patching on Steam, or if there is a cost, but I can't even begin to imagine that many patches going into a console version.

And while they say whatever finalized (improved) patch KOF XIII SE is left on is unlikely to come to consoles, I think it's still possible. And even if it doesn't, it's worth having a more online-playable version some where for most players.

Happens to the best of us. Who was he using?

I believe Mr. Karate, Leona and Kensou. I managed to kill one, but I'm pretty sure he was just toying with me. I wanted to keep playing him but my internet has been disconnecting me a lot from steam lately.

I need more practice, it's my first KOF and I've only played it for about 8 hours or so. Hopefully, I can actually get better.

Nyoro SF

I've played quite a few matches online. My analysis: the netcode feels different from console, but it has the same "mushy" feeling I just can't shake. It is just tremendously aggravating coming from Skullgirls's GGPO netcode... not good for my health to play online in this game.

The fact that I can't run this game fullscreen really sucks too, since it introduces input lag.

I believe Mr. Karate, Leona and Kensou. I managed to kill one, but I'm pretty sure he was just toying with me. I wanted to keep playing him but my internet has been disconnecting me a lot from steam lately.

I need more practice, it's my first KOF and I've only played it for about 8 hours or so. Hopefully, I can actually get better.

Hopefully you can get consistent practice in on XIII, even or especially when your internet acts up. I'm sure you'll get better in time; even if Juice was toying with you, that's not bad for only 8 hours into KOF in general.

I've played quite a few matches online. My analysis: the netcode feels different from console, but it has the same "mushy" feeling I just can't shake. It is just tremendously aggravating coming from Skullgirls's GGPO netcode... not good for my health to play online in this game.

It is mushy for you at every latency level (3 & 4 bars too)?

leakey

Played on 360 for a bit wit IRL friends, but recently moved, and want to break into this on Steam. Is it easy to find a game or is the online scene dead already?

The fact that I can't run this game fullscreen really sucks too, since it introduces input lag.

you could try borderless window using a program someone made.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/222940/discussions/1/864977564093035056/

Essay

Steam patch today added multiple resolutions to chose from in the graphics menu (all 16:9 of course). Great news for someone like me, whose video card is awaiting its death knell. :D

Some Nobody

I'm just popping in to ask: Should I get this game if I'm absolutely shit at fighting games? Like, so shit that in Street Fighter any combo I do is on accident? I love the look of KOF and I like fighters well enough, but usually they don't seem to like me. (Only exception is Injustice, where they turn all those stick inputs into things that make sense in my head. Like a half-circle just being back-forward or something.)

I'm just popping in to ask: Should I get this game if I'm absolutely shit at fighting games? Like, so shit that in Street Fighter any combo I do is on accident? I love the look of KOF and I like fighters well enough, but usually they don't seem to like me. (Only exception is Injustice, where they turn all those stick inputs into things that make sense in my head. Like a half-circle just being back-forward or something.)

As a fan of the game who's used to trying to get new players into it a lot, I can say it's got more depth and probably difficultly than SF4 on some level, especially in the circular motion inputs. I don't know if you plan on playing other people or just sticking to the story mode; if you don't want to learn much and want to play people, you might not like the game much. I can say with certainty you would have people here or elsewhere helping you to get into the game.

In short, maybe.

Edgeward

You could wait for a steam sale during the holidays if you are on the fence. If you want to get better at execution then this will make you focus into refining your movements because there are less cases of accidental inputs of moves like in SF. It taught me to be more smoother with motions and watch how i move my stick when doing special moves.

But if you just like dicking around in single player and with the occasional friends that come over than waiting for sale seems like a safe bet.

Some Nobody

I'm a PStriple player but the game's cheap enough, I was just wondering if I should bother at all. Thanks for the advice; I'll see how much it is on PSN before I try Amazon.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Player Matches still dead online. If I get one match then I have to wait basically an hour to get another. Fabulous.

Can't do shit in 1-bars. Should've known better than play against "Rookie87."

Chopperz

Neo Member
Player Matches still dead online. If I get one match then I have to wait basically an hour to get another. Fabulous.

I played at least 50 player matches yesterday. Have you tried creating your own game with the latentecy modifier asking for 2bars +? The most i've sat in training mode waiting for a game is...about 10 minutes (at a reasonable time).

TheSeks

I played at least 50 player matches yesterday. Have you tried creating your own game with the latentecy modifier asking for 2bars +? The most i've sat in training mode waiting for a game is...about 10 minutes (at a reasonable time).

Yes. All I'm seeing are 1-3 1 bars and no one ever joins voice-chat off 2 bars or above rooms I create. I can sit in training for a good 10-30 mins and nada.

TheSeks

Try leaving voice chat setting on any - i've seen in increase in people when i leave it off.

I don't see what difference it makes in having voice chat off outside of having less things being shoved down a bandwidth pipe that aren't needed. So I dunno why people hesitate if it's that.

thesolidshark said:
Where are you located Seks?

America. It's wunderbar.

Even going acrosss the gulf to Mexico gives 1-bar connections. So much for that "new and improved netcode." :/

I don't see what difference it makes in having voice chat off outside of having less things being shoved down a bandwidth pipe that aren't needed. So I dunno why people hesitate if it's that.

America. It's wunderbar.

Even going acrosss the gulf to Mexico gives 1-bar connections. So much for that "new and improved netcode." :/

if you want, add me (irfaanator). We can test out a connection to see if it's playable.

America. It's wunderbar.

Because other people leave it on "any". Just try to take his suggestion.

ArjanN

I have no problem finding ranked matches constantly.

I still have trouble finding player matches as well. It sucks but it doesn't bother me that much. The way I see it is as long as I continue making note of who I run into with 3/4 bars and friend 'em along the way, I'll have no shortage of games. Besides, I find it's more fun to train with people you play with regularly. GAF GROUP GET IT.

Is there a NeoGAF Steam group? That would make finding some matches easier i'd imagine.

Sort of surprised there isn't one already. Would be a good idea to get one going.

America. It's wunderbar.

Are most or all of your connections 1-bar? If you haven't seen this, you can try finding some other players via this listing.

I'll also assume you've been though all the port-forwarding and other connection suggestions. The latest patch might have something to do with it too; a player I know had to go into options to change an automatic setting in resolutions that affected our playing.

TheSeks

Are most or all of your connections 1-bar? If you haven't seen this, you can try finding some other players via this listing.

I'll also assume you've been though all the port-forwarding and other connection suggestions. The latest patch might have something to do with it too; a player I know had to go into options to change an automatic setting in resolutions that affected our playing.

The busiest I have ever seen playermatches for this

And they're all nearly 1-bar. Fabulous.

stn

Got it for Steam, love it! Soooooo, now for my newbie questions:

1. Recommended beginner characters? So far I'm using Terry, Joe, and Andy. I think I'm gonna swap out Joe since its not easy to piano his TNT punch with the 360 pad. :(

2. How do you unlock the two secret characters?

3. Who's all about chucking fireballs?

4. How do you do that quick jump?

I just started so I'm literally playing it as I would play Street Fighter 2, lol. But its sooooooooo good. Just wish it had Geese, Krauser, Rugal, and some of my other favorites.

TheSeks

I just started so I'm literally playing it as I would play Street Fighter 2, lol. But its sooooooooo good. Just wish it had Geese, Krauser, Rugal, and some of my other favorites.

2. Target actions. Steam itself has a guide about this, overlay and then view all guides for it. "How to unlock secret characters" should be it.

3. Kyo, Proper-Iori, Terry, K-dash/K', Mai. But "chucking fireballs" isn't exactly KoF-esque from the rounds I've played.

4. Short-hop, explained in the tutorial. Gogogogogogogogogogogogogo do that.

stn

Thanks for the help so far. Just two more questions:

1. Do I have the DLC characters if I have the Steam version? If yes, how do I use them?

2. How come Kyo has a fireball? I have seen people play Kyo with the rekka move (the one where he says "boreega ameze" or whatever, lol). What's the deal?

Thanks.

Shadow780

1. Do I have the DLC characters if I have the Steam version? If yes, how do I use them?

2. How come Kyo has a fireball? I have seen people play Kyo with the rekka move (the one where he says "boreega ameze" or whatever, lol). What's the deal?

Thanks.

1. Press select

2. Regular Kyo has fireball, Ex (DLC) Kyo has rekka.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Thanks.
1. Press Select over Takuma,Iori and Kyo.

2. Regular Kyo has a fireball indeed, EX Kyo has 'rekka moves'.

EDIT: Got bopped by Shadow780

Onemic

1. Recommended beginner characters? So far I'm using Terry, Joe, and Andy. I think I'm gonna swap out Joe since its not easy to piano his TNT punch with the 360 pad. :(

Characters that are about that fireball life and don't just have fireballs? Athena, Ash, Saiki, King, Kensou

Loona

Robert might work well, he has a bit of everything and should be a fairly simple transition from SF habits.

Just follow the instructions during Arcade mode - it should be easy to get Billy with that, but if Saiki's getting trickier, make sure to go with a team with whom you can drive cancel easily (Andy's Zaneiken into Shoryudan usuallt works well for me).

I can't believe nobody mentioned King here - you get to use hers airborne as well.

Top Bottom