• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Dambrosi

Banned
What area do you live? if u live on the coasts, you can def. find fellow players nearby for 3/4 bar connections, if u live in the middle of fuck nowhere or in a separate country, then I can understand apprehension with the game, though I beg to ask the question you'd play a shit fighting game if the online was good over a great fighting game with meh to decent netcode?

Hey, BlazBlue is not shit. You take that backsies.

Lacking in certain areas, and certainly no Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (dat Zappa), but certainly not "shit".

In other news, ShopTo are supposed to be sending out my copy tomorrow later on. I'll be scrub-a-dub-dubbing it up with the rest of you UK KOFfers online on Thursday, hopefully.

Hey, BlazBlue is not shit. You take that backsies.

Lacking in certain areas, and certainly no Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (dat Zappa), but certainly not "shit".

In other news, ShopTo are supposed to be sending out my copy tomorrow later on. I'll be scrub-a-dub-dubbing it up with the rest of you UK KOFfers online on Thursday, hopefully.

woah. I'm sorry if that came off as a dig at Blazblue. I was a big fan of Calamity Trigger but the tightened Execution and DLC setup for Contiuum Shift completely turned me off the series. It was more of theoretics.

OSHAN

Played through Arcade this evening and about 10 matches online. Much improved over 12; very happy with the purchase.

Not a big fan of the bosses, though.

Takuan

I've played 3 or 4 different people now, all 3 bar connections (green and blue). Not a single one has been smooth. Input delay all over the place. Definitely worse than both SF4 and MvC3 games.

Also, wtf happened to Iori, he's so goddamn slow now and none of his moves work :(

Edit: rofl just cheesed my way to victory against a dude online.

Some of these sprites are shitty. King looks terrible, and her super could not be any lamer. They didn't do a very good job with Billy Cain, either.

branny

Wow, I'm really surprised at the quality of this release. There's so much...stuff...

I can't wait 'til I get done with other games so I can really spend more time with this and other fighters I've been neglecting. :(

Still can't combo with Ash worth crap.

alstein

A few 3-bar connects are bad, but I assume that's wireless or the guy downloading something while playing like a clown. I've had enough good ones that I say 3-bar is good enough.

Playing on a 3-bar blue connection.

Game is noticeably laggy.

Also, wtf happened to Iori, he's so goddamn slow now and none of his moves work :(

Edit: rofl just cheesed my way to victory against a dude online.

Some of these sprites are shit. King looks terrible.

No, he's not. Just different. Wait for the DLC version if you don't like him too much.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Played some matches with 3 bars. Pretty good actually. Wasn't laggy or anything on my end. So far, so good on my end.

Has anyone found that some converters don't work with this game, unlike everything else. I tried this one here and it works with games from Marvel to MK vs DC. Weird.

So is the online actually worth a shit, or is it too early to tell?

I think you pretty much have to see for yourself, but don't play anything below 3/4 bars.

Midou

Have played a decent amount of KOF in the past, though only recent fighter I've played is SF4 I guess. I made an arcade stick in the mean time, I still never fully learned to use it, I'm finding matches in KOFXIII quite difficult.

Have played a decent amount of KOF in the past, though only recent fighter I've played is SF4 I guess. I made an arcade stick in the mean time, I still never fully learned to use it, I'm finding matches in KOFXIII quite difficult.

What do you mean by difficult, what exactly do you need help with?

Midou

What do you mean by difficult, what exactly do you need help with?

I guess mostly getting moves in fast enough, I always tended to go too fast for SF4 combos, but I feel like I kind of have to spam to get some moves in quickly enough. Like I was trying to do K's first trial, and it feels like the inputs go so fast.

It's probably just me being really rusty though, I'm sure I'll get the feel back quickly.

Also, in that same trial, there was an arrow not described in the button list, it was like a yellow arrow going down and forwards or some such.. like a straight line then an arrow at the end.

Netcode's Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssss

I love how they have a feature to where you can set it so only people with the best connection can fight you. All games should have that. Too bad that best connection in this game is worse than anything I've experienced in any other game, ever.

I guess mostly getting moves in fast enough, I always tended to go too fast for SF4 combos, but I feel like I kind of have to spam to get some moves in quickly enough. Like I was trying to do K's first trial, and it feels like the inputs go so fast.

It's probably just me being really rusty though, I'm sure I'll get the feel back quickly.

Also, in that same trial, there was an arrow not described in the button list, it was like a yellow arrow going down and forwards or some such.. like a straight line then an arrow at the end.

Try not to mash, just go through the full motions a little slowly, then when feeling a little confortable, quicken the pace a little.

That means the move is in a series, ala Mature's qcf+p x3.

Btw, can anyone with close ties to Atlus see if there is a patch coming anytime soon?

I love how they have a feature to where you can set it so only people with the best connection can fight you. All games should have that. Too bad that best connection in this game is worse than anything I've experienced in any other game, ever.

Find some offline competition or create a scene.

Skilletor

I set that and had somebody with a lower connection join. I think it's just a recommendation.

Game is fun, but netcode is pretty shitty. Trial mode makes me laugh. Anybody that complained about SF4's links...lol. So sorry for you.

BadWolf

Okay, put about 4 hours straight into it. Played arcade to unlock Billy and then quit, the rest of the time was spent between practice and online play.

The game itself is amazing, gorgeous and a fantastic port. Couldn't have asked for more really. The gameplay is fantastic, drive cancels aren't too strict and shortcuts work great (like if you want to do rdp+LK into air super with Kyo all you have to do is rdp+LK and then just qcf+P for the super). The loading times are simply excellent.

Tried a bunch of characters quickly to go online. Once online I picked a few characters to try out and clicked with Kyo, Andy and Robert real quick. 1 or 2 losses and the rest were wins, though the level of play is pretty dang low right now so nothing to be proud of.

One thing I don't like about online play is that if you set a connection bar requirement it doesn't really make a restriction, anyone can still join.

1 bar sucks, 2 bars is bearable and 3 bars is very much playable, all as expected. Didn't play any 4 bars. Unfortunately all the 3 bar players I got kinda sucked and left after just one match. The last guy I played with 3 bars went real well, I was able to do combos, supercancels etc no prob.

Only thing ruining the experience for me is the damn pad, haven't played on one in years. What I wouldn't give to be able to connect a keyboard to the PS3 to play on instead.

Overall, thank you SNK, you seriously delivered.

Skilletor

I happen to have that. Paris FTW.

Not that you should mind Slamtastic since he's most likely happy to have issues with the netcode.

Okay so even Saiki's dp+K and qcfx2+K get blocked. Cool stuff.

I don't know why anybody would be happy that the few people who purchase this game can enjoy it versus other people, but whatever.

Not that you should mind Slamtastic since he's most likely happy to have issues with the netcode.

I'm just mad at myself because I knew this would happen, and told myself before release that I'd wait for netcode impressions/a price drop, and instead I bought it day one at full price.

And I didn't like MvC3, but fell into hype and bought Ultimate and the guide day one full price.

How to take all my money from me: Make a 2D fighting game. It doesn't matter the details, I'll end up buying it.

Just finished a set with my 360 connected wired getting 3 bars against a fellow 3 bars and we did 6 matches, and It was as good as top connection SSFIV matches for me. Very playable and feeling right save for some slight timing to get used to (which didn't affect me much as i use characters with huge windows for links) and the occassional strange pause. Overall a very pleasant experience!

alstein

I'm just mad at myself because I knew this would happen, and told myself before release that I'd wait for netcode impressions/a price drop, and instead I bought it day one at full price.

And I didn't like MvC3, but fell into hype and bought Ultimate and the guide day one full price.

How to take all my money from me: Make a 2D fighting game. It doesn't matter the details, I'll end up buying it.

I feel exactly the same way, except that I'm tolerating the netcode, it isn't THAT bad- it's no worse then SF4. That said, I see nothing I want coming up, except Skullgirls in 2D, but I have SC and VF, so I'll move to 3D next year.

yep this happen to me with UMVC3 and i going to drop it for KOF this week.
Still the net code seem to be good to bad and because of were i live i might not get anyone to play online just like UMVC3.
Thank good i got a fair amount of off line comp to play with .

LowParry

I must apologize now to Fersis. My faith died in this game and yet he kept this train rolling. In the end I'm finding that I really love this game. Once combos starting coming in, things just started to click. Should have not doubted the hype cause it's there and really enjoyable. I got a long ways to go before I'm decent at this game. Mature continues to be my favorite. I may have to get Flame Iori cause I don't really like him flameless.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
You know, the one thing I can't seem to do is TAUNT. How do you do it? LOL.

I also forgot all about this "trick." If you press select or back when selecting certain character's colors, you get different looks:

Raiden: Loses mask, gets Big Bear head
Elizabeth: KOF XI outfit (me bouncy part two)
Kyo: KOF '94-'98 outfit
Yuri: Gets ponytail back
Andy: Ninja colors/face mask
K': Multicolored/split-colors on outfit
Joe: Tiger striped shorts
Ralf: Camouflage colors
Takuma: Gets Mr. Karate mask!

I almost picked this up yesterday but reading the netcode is bad makes me glad I waited. Already felt bad buying the last kof on day1 with all it's problems even the price dropped so fast. I will wait for a price drop on this one.

LowParry

I almost picked this up yesterday but reading the netcode is bad makes me glad I waited. Already felt bad buying the last kof on day1 with all it's problems even the price dropped so fast. I will wait for a price drop on this one.

Netcode isn't bad at all. You just want to avoid the 2 bar games. I do wonder if SNK will put out any improvements. Cause it could use some minor tweaks to make it even better.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

Are you paying attention to the connection/region of the people joining your games? Anything at 3 bars is very playable and 4 bars is excellent. Maybe your connection just sucks.

XIII's netcode ain't SSF4 or even Marvel, but it's not ass. That was XII.

Netcode isn't bad at all. You just want to avoid the 2 bar games. I do wonder if SNK will put out any improvements. Cause it could use some minor tweaks to make it even better.

They need to patch the game to allow you to back out of ranked matches. It sucks when you get matched up against someone with a shitty connection and there's nothing you can do about it. You should be able to decline at the pre match-up screen.

Top Bottom