• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

notworksafe

That's fine, and that's your opinion, and I can respect that. At the same time, hopefully you can understand why I find that statement incredibly insulting.

I know you weren't talking to me, but I understand GrayFox's point. There's a lot of bad reviewers out there, and I could see getting turned off on all reviews after reading enough of them.

That's why I now just have a small stable of reviewers that I'll listen to and take seriously. They work for many different sites and I'll mainly listen to them on certain genres where I know we agree.

And you're on the "approved" list shidoshi. Been a fan since I was a wee Gamefan reader. :)

-Amon-

The review is written from the perspective of someone who doesn't play fighting games. It's only a troll if you expect every gamer to know and understand common fighting game lingo.

Car magazines don't use people without a driving license to judge the handling of the last Impreza i guess.

I'm so fed up with this casual friendly approach ....

Man, I'm having a blast with this game, but my thumb just isn't what it used to me. The pain! Oh, the pain!

I really need to learn how to play without holding down the buttons so hard, but I'm constantly charging down with Terry so I can bring out a Rising Tackle whenever and I press that down arrow like a psychopath.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Man, I'm having a blast with this game, but my thumb just isn't what it used to me. The pain! Oh, the pain!

I really need to learn how to play without holding down the buttons so hard, but I'm constantly charging down with Terry so I can bring out a Rising Tackle whenever and I press that down arrow like a psychopath.

Sounds to me like it's time to get a stick. ;)

I'd say save Rising Tackle (preferably EX version) for reversals mostly. df+C, f+A to an extent and this time around far D function as anti-airs for various angles while preserving your mobility.

Then again, people have told me how weird it was for me to use the move so sparingly, but it's still good to know.

Olaeh

PS3 here, and I'll be getting the game tomorrow morning. I'll probably be on damn near every night in the Northern California area - so if you'd like to friend someone who isn't super good but still pretty decent, me let me know :)

Mature

Oh man, I just got the game I'm so excited I-- What the hell is this? The menus are just text and images!?...

How much can I get for it at Gamestop?

Kimosabae

Banned
Why did this have to get pushed back till' after Ultimate? I'm not going to have any time to play this. I was going to use that month head start to give the franchise a legitimate shot. Now, I just can't justify the purchase.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Played some matches with SAB CA on 360. Noticeable lag -but it remained consistent and was easy enough to adapt to- and even then he was busting out some crazy-sick stuff. Love the Martial Champions Rachel-color Yuri...gonna have to steal that scheme! XD

stormer

all reviews, and most users are saying lag issues. I'm not buying solely because of that, once again disappointed. Sorry SNK , if you can't deliver this after this many tries.. you should die. Online is everything imo for this type of game.

alstein

all reviews, and most users are saying lag issues. I'm not buying solely because of that, once again disappointed. Sorry SNK , if you can't deliver this after this many tries.. you should die. Online is everything imo for this type of game.

3-bar connections are no worse then they are in SF4. Should Capcom die also?

notworksafe

I've never seen SF4 have as one of its bad points "laggy games" as per ign review.

I've seen it have "laggy games" as a bad point in my real life experience.

Also I love how IGN is the most criticized website ever until someone needs to use their reviews to back up an already stated viewpoint.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Harsh words my good man.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Yo we're streaming matches in a few hours. 50 dollar money match between RogerDodger and Hellpockets GET READY! LOL

stormer

So basically you had no interest in the game to begin with.

I was following the details of the game since this summer. I lost interest a little when the release date changed to nov 22nd from October though. I didn't buy this right away because I was really disappointed with XII. After reading reviews about it now, XIII doesn't seem worthwhile either.

Kimosabae

Banned
How often are 3 Bar connections brought up, though? Because I won't even play SF4 on a 3 Bar connection (that's Red, right? Haven't played SF4 online in a while).

I was following the details of the game since this summer. I lost interest a little when the release date changed to nov 22nd from October though. I didn't buy this right away because I was really disappointed with XII. After reading reviews about it now, XIII doesn't seem worthwhile either.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying. If reviews were a factor in your decision, you were looking for "some fighting game to play", not KOF XIII in particular.

Kimosabae, IIRC red is just one bar and god-awful as one would expect.

Other than that, still in the lab, getting frustrated from not being able to replicate that safe jump after ZanRetsuKen A in the corner, even though I got it right on my first try...

Not to antagonize but what makes it seem not worthwhile in your opinion. People's experiences with the netcode range from poor to great, which is just about the same as every other game out there that is not Blazblue. If your entire purchase depended on that, then I can at least understand your perspective, but serviceable to solid netcode, a ton of content, and most importantly a tuned graphical and gameplay experience which is getting praise from all but the most casual of reviewers at a 10 buck discount of standard price seems like something hard to argue against unless you never cared for the game to begin with.

Kimosabae

Banned
Not to antagonize but what makes it seem not worthwhile in your opinion. People's experiences with the netcode range from poor to great, which is just about the same as every other game out there that is not Blazblue. If your entire purchase depended on that, then I can at least understand your perspective, but serviceable to solid netcode, a ton of content, and most importantly a tuned graphical and gameplay experience which is getting praise from all but the most casual of reviewers at a 10 buck discount of standard price seems like something hard to argue against unless you never cared for the game to begin with.

Wasn't this game originally supposed to 40 dollars?

Mature

Is it really that bad that you are already thinking of trading it in?
Oh no! Someone didn't sense the thickest sarcasm I got.

I give up. :(

Also, I know a game's manual is a small detail of the entire package, but it's pretty damn awesome. Good freakin' job, Atlus.

Edit: beaten on the manual

Takuan

Oh no! Someone didn't sense the thickest sarcasm I got.

I give up. :(

Also, I know a game's manual is a small detail of the entire package, but it's pretty damn awesome. Good freakin' job, Atlus.

Edit: beaten on the manual
What's so special about the manual? Is 24 pages considered thick? What I'm looking at here is of lower quality than Capcom's manuals. Did Canadians get ripped off or what?

Thanks, HOS.

Trying Elisabeth's trial. Passed the first, skipped the second, just managed to pass the third. The timing for this game is pretty strict. There are input shortcuts that the game doesn't tell you about! For the longest time I was having trouble executing the dp+lp, fb + lp, until I realized I could mash lp for the second attack to come out. I'm sure there's a similar shortcut that'll make trial 2 easier...

Ah, input shortcuts.

Mature

What's so special about the manual? Is 24 pages considered thick? What I'm looking at here is of lower quality than Capcom's manuals. Did Canadians get ripped off or what?
It's not black and white. It's not 3 pages. There's character commands. Far and above the treatment of the manuals I see nowadays.

The UMVC one is nice though.

stormer

Well I said it earlier to another response that I thought online was everything in this type of game. Without competition I'm not playing this that's the bottom line.

Well I said it earlier to another response that I thought online was everything in this type of game. Without competition I'm not playing this that's the bottom line.

What area do you live? if u live on the coasts, you can def. find fellow players nearby for 3/4 bar connections, if u live in the middle of fuck nowhere or in a separate country, then I can understand apprehension with the game, though I beg to ask the question you'd play a shit fighting game if the online was good over a great fighting game with meh to decent netcode?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Netcode impressions are all over the place. I think I might have to redbox this one...

Actually shit...is this game even going to be popular enough to show up in Redbox kiosks? lol

Can anyone tell me what the fastest invincible uppercut in the game is? I can successfully safe jump Takuma's NeoMax with the setup I mentioned above (timing is tight as hell) but I might have missed something.

LowParry

Netcode impressions are all over the place. I think I might have to redbox this one...

Actually shit...is this game even going to be popular enough to show up in Redbox kiosks? lol

I don't see why not. Regardless of netcode, the game is really fun. I had my doubts before but I've put them aside and decided that if the game is good and I like it, it's a keeper.

tzare

can t wait for amazon.uk to ship my ps3 copy. I will probably buy the 360 version too when price drops a little. Must support snk so they can make real bout 3 :)

RedAssedApe

Banned
I don't see why not. Regardless of netcode, the game is really fun. I had my doubts before but I've put them aside and decided that if the game is good and I like it, it's a keeper.

I haven't seen anything beyond the big name titles in my local Red Boxes...hence why I'm skeptical about a niche title like this showing up.

LowParry

I haven't seen anything beyond the big name titles in my local Red Boxes...hence why I'm skeptical about a niche title like this showing up.

Well. I'm sure KOF will hit a holiday deal I'm sure so you could wait it out and get it for a few dollars less.

Top Bottom