• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

mollipen

Review is just a overwritten opinion of one guy, I can read 100 different opinions on a game for week on Gaf and I value it much more then any "pro" review as there's always varied logical counter opinions.

So if I had taken the review I did for this game for EGM, and posted it on here instead as a general reply in this thread, would that have suddenly given it more value?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So if I had taken the review I did for this game for EGM, and posted it on here instead as a general reply in this thread, would that have suddenly given it more value?

shidoshi, I think the issue is not that no one is doing their job in the review arena, but that not enough are. On top of that, there are far too many people who have no clue what they're talking about, unqualified to review video games or write in general, ruining it for everyone. People like GrayFox read one too many reviews by some idiot who can't string a proper sentence together (much less construct a coherent review), and has become numb to the whole process.

I don't blame him for being jaded, especially when critics in other industries are that much better.

GrayFoxPL

No, it's your work. Gafers don't get free games or bitching press kits or "sway kits", they don't get paid for writing a review and are not under pressure of publisher or your director/boss.

If opinion is part of your job, I don't buy it. I did for 20 years, that's enough.

Fuck might not get the game till the end off the week .
I knew the game i wanted the most i would get fuck over in some way or the other .
Guess i kill some more time with UMVC3

Lothars

I don't blame him for being jaded, especially when critics in other industries are that much better.
Yeah he's definitely allowed to be jaded but I disagree about critics in other industries being much better especially move industry is just as bad if not worst, Music I could see the argument for.

LowParry

Just picked this up for the 360. Doing the install then probably try a few matches online to see how things roll. I'll update later.

Has anyone tried searching do players around the same region an see if that made any impact.

I have the game myself. Borrowing brother's PS3 until I can get my own. Slightly annoyed that I have to relearn the timing of Mature's combos. I haven't tried online either

Btw, has anyone found their converters or other items not working with the game?

Takuan

The review is written from the perspective of someone who doesn't play fighting games. It's only a troll if you expect every gamer to know and understand common fighting game lingo. With Capcom's fighters, even someone who doesn't play fighters can appreciate the production values. On the other hand, I can't blame a non-fighter gamer for being turned off by what they see of KOFXIII. I don't expect them to sympathize with non-existent budgets and a tiny staff, they're simply going to call it as they see it.

You can criticize the site for assigning someone who has very little fighting game experience to the review, but I imagine that only serious fighting game fans or fans of the KOF universe will be able to draw anything positive from playing KOFXIII.

GrayFoxPL

People like GrayFox read one too many reviews by some idiot who can't string a proper sentence together (much less construct a coherent review), and has become numb to the whole process.

That lame kofxiii review isn't an example why I stopped reading reviews. Can you even even imagine how many I've read over course 20 years? You think most of them were dumb, illiterate mumblings? No, 90% were very well written pieces of work, solid technical all around. Just from my experience it was like absolutely different thing I was playing then I was reading about prior. Sometimes it was just pile of lies. Well written lies. But most of the the time no reviewer of countless bunch did share my taste.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Some of the trials are nuts.

Looks like Juicebox will be playing XIII at SCR

Enk

makes good threads.
Loving this so much! Major improvement of XII in every way. It feels good to play a new serious fighter after the aggravating chaos of MvC3. I was also shocked about the manual. It's so.. so... thick.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
This game is fun as hell. Im actually not as terrible as anticipated.

also fuck dark Ash and his bullshit.

rolling through his fireballs helps a TON

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Any impressions on hops and super hops using the DualShock 3 ?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Played like 15 matches against Enk. Very, very smooth most of the time, although at one point the game froze for a few seconds, and during the last match it lagged pretty bad.

I think overall the online play is decent enough that I'm going to be devoting time to the game (especially since fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck the game play is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!!), but most people are probably going to be finding it not up to par with Capcom's games.

Loving this so much! Major improvement of XII in every way. It feels good to play a new serious fighter after the aggravating chaos of MvC3. I was also shocked about the manual. It's so.. so... thick.

Yeah, LOL, the manual is so thick n' heavy that it feels like the 360 case is gonna fall apart!

Played like 15 matches against Enk. Very, very smooth most of the time, although at one point the game froze for a few seconds, and during the last match it lagged pretty bad.

I think overall the online play is decent enough that I'm going to be devoting time to the game (especially since fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck the game play is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!!!!), but most people are probably going to be finding it not up to par with Capcom's games.

Yeah, LOL, the manual is so thick n' heavy that it feels like the 360 case is gonna fall apart!

Atlus publishing love

LowParry

I like what I got to play. Online 2 bars isn't very good at all. 3 bars was okay. 4 felt pretty smooth overall.

Mature is one pick for sure on my team. King may be a strong second but Kim is too damn awesome to pass up. Anywho, got finals to study then school. Then back home for more KOF feeeeeeeel!

Sidenote: Voices need to be turned up a notch cause I have a hard time hearing the characters on default.

I like what I got to play. Online 2 bars isn't very good at all. 3 bars was okay. 4 felt pretty smooth overall.

Pretty much sums up my own experience, except for that one time 3 bars showed up but the actual match was a mess.

Also f+A, qcf BC qcf AC with Ryo (full drive 2 bars) is now awesome.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Damn. It really sucks to be broke right now. I had this preordered and still cant afford to pay it off! Got the text from GS and everything. Sigh.

So what's the word on the online play?

LowParry

Damn. It really sucks to be broke right now. I had this preordered and still cant afford to pay it off! Got the text from GS and everything. Sigh.

So what's the word on the online play?

Seems alright so far. Though more players should be on tonight and over the weekend so we'll have a better idea a whole how it turns out.

Regarding the guide:

B version of 75 Shiki Kai (QCF+K) can now be followed up with other attacks. On the ground you can only follow up with an uppercut, but on a mid-air hit you can do more interesting things

I don't know how in-depth this is supposed to go eventually, but you can actually land the instant version of EX Orochinagi after a grounded qcf+B. I believe it works even with the regular version, but I do the faster one out of habit now.

mollipen

No, it's your work. Gafers don't get free games or bitching press kits or "sway kits", they don't get paid for writing a review and are not under pressure of publisher or your director/boss.

If opinion is part of your job, I don't buy it. I did for 20 years, that's enough.

That's fine, and that's your opinion, and I can respect that. At the same time, hopefully you can understand why I find that statement incredibly insulting.

GrayFoxPL

That's fine, and that's your opinion, and I can respect that. At the same time, hopefully you can understand why I find that statement incredibly insulting.

Don't take it personally. I have my reasons to be bitter. You have yours to ignore me as your work is not aimed at people like me.

alstein

There are credibility issues with many reviewers, it's hard to judge unless you know the person responsible.

That said, I've known of you at least ever since you were on the old KOF mailing list in the mid-90's. I know of at least three people here who were on that ML, though one is long retired from fighters.
The folks I know about are the ones I tend to trust more, though I know to take certain things with a grain of salt/account for known biases.

The one thing I don't like about KOFXIII is that the game is making me feel old and slow.

Top Bottom