• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Shadow780

Played a couple of matches with local friend who's nearby (NYC, <15 miles)

My connection: 35/20 Fios (wired, host)
His connection: 15/.768 Cable (wireless)

4 bars, the first fight was ugly, laggy as hell. I told him to try installing the game first and tried again. From second match on and it was much much better. Still noticed a slight input delay, but largely playable. Tried a couple ranked matches and the latency was all over the place. 3 bars seems fairly okay to play, but not as good as SSFIV netcode.

Currently online is passable if you get a decent connection going. But I hope they can patch it to make it better. I'm gonna play with him again once he wires his PS3 and put it into DMZ mode.

alstein

I think people are going to end up rejecting this online- I tried playing today and it was a lot less busy then I felt it should be day 2 of a game.

A patch would help keep it alive, it is playable online, even if it's not good enough.

Pure. Honest. Fighting indeed. Got my ass handed to me at first but starting to get what the drive meters can do and it's fantastic. Really digging Kula, Yuri and King. The presentation is phenomenal and the combat engine keeps me wanting to come back over and over. Holidays are crazy but next week I should be able to throw down with a bunch of people locally and I can't wait!

Grokbu

Bah. I hope I don't have to wait till next week to get this (I probably will).

I am so nervous about the online, it's not even true.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Can anyone in the PSN KOF chat room invite me? If there's still no room, I'm gonna start one instead. (Yes, I am aware of the OP) PSN ID is lyteedge2.

And again: How do you taunt? XD

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Played last night, it was awesome until the very last boss (emo Ash or whatever) which, of course, was a lesson in horrible game design once again given to you by SNK.

Frustrating, cheap, not fun, doesnt teach you anything. Bad game design.
I was really frustrated fighting them, but at the same time, I wasn't angry. It was like someone was punching me in the face repeatedly screaming SNK IS BACK!!!

I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

edit- the biggest problem with Saiki is his super long grab move that takes away control for a good 5 seconds, and he does it constantly whenever you get close. It's actually low on the list of SNK bosses, but it's definitely annoying. At least there isn't a boss that suddenly decides to turn a fighting game into a bullet hell shooter. :p

So if no friends are around and the Online is kind of shitty then what? Practice mode all day?
Yep!

LowParry

I'm eager to hear some 360 online impressions, if it's better then I'll switch.

Haven't been too successful this morning. Mostly 2 bar games which is laggy. Playable in a way but can't do cancels. I did find one 4 bar game which was fantastic. Problem was, the guy destroyed me.

OSHAN

The ten matches I played on PSN were playable, with the 3 bar games being something I woudn't complain about, but not exactly marvel about, either.

2 bar games were hit and miss. It would synchronize for each round, sometimes to something decent, other times not so much.

Far and away better than 12, but that's not saying much.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I played almost four hours already between last night and a few minutes this morning. My two online matches last night were very good. You can feel a slight delay sometimes, but it's NOTHING like XII was. This morning I fired it up at like 6:45 EDT and must have hooked up with someone outside the US. That was ugly. But that's to be expected.

Living in the northeast, I expect it'll be easy to find good connections on a weeknight or weekend.

And let me tell you, it's the gameplay that makes me want to sit there for hours! KoF just feels like fighting someone. It pisses you off when someone gives you a complete boot in the ass of a whipping, because all the hits feel so meaty! Throw in some awesome stages (love the building in NYC) and of course that fantastic soundtrack and this is the fighter I've waited all this generation to play. I love these characters, all the back and forth in single player arcade mode before a fight, and just watching them move. Super job by SNK. The King has returned!!

BTW, Yuri's top exploded AOF-style last night on a finisher. Red bra FTW.
I knew how i would totally quote your avatar.
So glad to see you and Lyte Edge enjoying XIII after the dissapointment known as XII

LowParry

Eeesh, any tips on linking Leona's charge moves? Hard as hell for some reason. And I'm starting to like Eliza much. Open that window to glory :D

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I wish they would just pad it, so I don't feel completely ripped off.
DLC characters suck, but I'm not too fussed about these ones. I'm not an Iori or Takuma player, so I don't feel like I'm missing out not having a few alternate movesets for them. At least it's not giving me a bunch of empty character select slots as a constant reminder that I didn't pay for a complete game.

OSHAN

DLC characters suck, but I'm not too fussed about these ones. I'm not an Iori or Takuma player, so I don't feel like I'm missing out not having a few alternate movesets for them. At least it's not giving me a bunch of empty character select slots as a constant reminder that I didn't pay for a complete game.

That's true, but frankly in this case I'm used to having the alternates as free, which is something you'll find in previous KOFs.

Suppose I should be used to it by now.

That's true, but frankly in this case I'm used to having the alternates as free, which is something you'll find in previous KOFs.

Suppose I should be used to it by now.

Yeah, although to be fair, the EX versions in previous games were pretty much 100% recycled sprites most of the time. Sure, it'd be nice if they were included already, but I want them so much anyways that I stopped caring.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
In case anyone doesn't know, unlocking Saiki depends on the number of target actions you perform leading up to the first midboss, not DM finishers.

OSHAN

Yeah, although to be fair, the EX versions in previous games were pretty much 100% recycled sprites most of the time. Sure, it'd be nice if they were included already, but I want them so much anyways that I stopped caring.

Are the EX versions not recycled sprites? I actually thought they were. That's a bit better, I suppose. I really don't care what they're wearing; I just want the move sets.

Cool, thanks. Do you know how many?

I was told 30, but just did as many as I could to be sure. I need to mess with Saiki for a while, he seems to be really unique.

Are the EX versions not recycled sprites? I actually thought they were. That's a bit better, I suppose. I really don't care what they're wearing; I just want the move sets.

Well for each of them you're also paying for a stage, two music tracks and a full set of trials so it's sort of a full package you're getting each time.

Skilletor

Eeesh, any tips on linking Leona's charge moves? Hard as hell for some reason. And I'm starting to like Eliza much. Open that window to glory :D

I don't know the names of her moves and I'm a Street Fighter player, so forgive me.

If you want to do the flash kick motion into the sonic boom motion, end the down charge in u/b, and then from u/b go to forward.

Same thing for the reverse. Go from back to d/f, and then to u/b.

So the motion for the combo would be charge d/b and then go to u/b + p. This maintains your charge since you are still techically holding back. From u/b to do forward for the next move (or d/f if you want to maintain a down charge for further cancels).
'
I hope that makes sense. lol.

Well, obviously they do recycle them in some way because normals should be the same animation wise, but it's not to the extend of previous games at least. If this was any KoF other than XIII then, yeah, they'd be entirely recycled, but where are you going to get any of the sprites for Kyo's rekkas in XIII's style? or Iori's fireball, the followup to his DM, etc? Nowhere, they have to be redrawn in this new style.

LowParry

I don't know the names of her moves and I'm a Street Fighter player, so forgive me.

If you want to do the flash kick motion into the sonic boom motion, end the down charge in u/b, and then from u/b go to forward.

Same thing for the reverse. Go from back to d/f, and then to u/b.

So the motion for the combo would be charge d/b and then go to u/b + p. This maintains your charge since you are still techically holding back. From u/b to do forward for the next move (or d/f if you want to maintain a down charge for further cancels).
'
I hope that makes sense. lol.

Yeah that does. I'll have to play around with that. That all makes sense cause I play Bison/Vega in SF :D

Well, obviously they do recycle them in some way because normals should be the same animation wise, but it's not to the extend of previous games at least. If this was any KoF other than XIII then, yeah, they'd be entirely recycled, but where are you going to get any of the sprites for Kyo's rekkas in XIII's style? or Iori's fireball, the followup to his DM, etc? Nowhere, they have to be redrawn in this new style.

They also had to redraw Iori's old outfit with the new sprites. The XII one is a totally different outfit/sprite. So it's at least some work not just copy/paste. Also the stages, right.

KingJ2002

I picked up the game yesterday and WOW... this is what i've been waiting for!

since billy cane is there... it would be dope is Geese & Yamazaki showed up as DLC... or even Rugal.

i have no problem with DLC characters as long as they're broken fighters that can be disabled in online play.

It's very strange that the option to remove the blur wasn't included at all. The sprites look fine at normal distance, but when you zoom in for Neomaxes they look pretty muddy.

The new backgrounds are GLORIOUS.

Skilletor

I picked up the game yesterday and WOW... this is what i've been waiting for!

since billy cane is there... it would be dope is Geese & Yamazaki showed up as DLC... or even Rugal.

i have no problem with DLC characters as long as they're broken fighters that can be disabled in online play.

o_O weird.

Top Bottom