• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

So I just started Chapter 6 in ToCS, clocked at around 50 hrs, how much time do I have left? Quick recap below:
Just got done with the fortress portion where you get to fight with Sara and you fight S I think her name was? Basically the prologue portion not in the prologue...

Posted earlier about how I started playing Cold Steel on my commute to work, ended up playing it all weekend. What a great game. Still only on Chapter 1 but no one told me the generous splash of Persona inspired stuff is in there, which makes me really happy. Even the After School song has the same synth slap bass sound as a lot of Meguro works. The battle system for this game is really awesome. I initially overlooked this game because even as a biased fan of strictly Japanese games, this kinda blipped on my "generic anime" radar but I'm glad so many people talked it up because this game is really great.

Also happy that this will hold me over the remaining two weeks until Persona 5 drops. If I don't finish it by then, it will help ease my Persona cravings by giving me an RPG fix on the way to and from work while I'm waiting to play P5 again. Probably gonna double dip on the PS3 version of this game since my GF hijacked the PSTV and it doesn't wanna sign in my account or read my memory card.

Hatsuu

XSEED
So uh, what's the deal with the hundred or so 20mb updates FC and SC have been getting today? I know they fixed some UI assets, but what's with another update getting pushed every hour or so? Like is there some guy at XSEED making some single minor change, seeing if it works, and then pushing the patch before going on to make another minor change and repeat the last few steps?

But anyway, I guess the transition to 32-bit colors is probably something Trails 3 will have at launch if they're updating the first two to use 32-bit colors?

That's pretty much exactly what it is. Even though FC/SC have long been out, if we find some new method while working on the 3rd that'll improve the previous games, we implement it. This thing with the character portraits was something I had noted a short while back, but Sara went the extra mile with it and made things look quite lovely.

We'll be putting out another text update next month, even. Nothing major, but it's a couple of minor things discovered while working on the 3rd that's I'd like to properly backport into previous games rather than leave as is, as well as one major terminology that's been bugging me for years now. All of these changes will obviously not affect new players since they're playing with those changes in from the start, but for longtime players, they will be documented in a blog for their reference.

Short version: we're dorks and talk about how we'd like to tweak and improve things pretty much all the time, then we just kinda go, "Why not?" and do it. I think that's how the recent "Skip S-Craft" function from Sara came out. Boy, is that ever a godsend.

SephLuis

That's pretty much exactly what it is. Even though FC/SC have long been out, if we find some new method while working on the 3rd that'll improve the previous games, we implement it. This thing with the character portraits was something I had noted a short while back, but Sara went the extra mile with it and made things look quite lovely.

We'll be putting out another text update next month, even. Nothing major, but it's a couple of minor things discovered while working on the 3rd that's I'd like to properly backport into previous games rather than leave as is, as well as one major terminology that's been bugging me for years now. All of these changes will obviously not affect new players since they're playing with those changes in from the start, but for longtime players, they will be documented in a blog for their reference.

Short version: we're dorks and talk about how we'd like to tweak and improve things pretty much all the time, then we just kinda go, "Why not?" and do it. I think that's how the recent "Skip S-Craft" function from Sara came out. Boy, is that ever a godsend.

Bravo for all your hard work.

Rhapsody

Banned
Making my way through CS and I'm wondering- how important is changing out your Master Quartz? There was a shop selling them in Barehard but I was low on money and couldn't get any. I swapped Enma's out for Another magic based one, but I haven't run into anything else and I'm not even sure switching the one I did was a good idea.

Switching them out is really good. Maybe half of the starting ones are really great while some feel lackluster. Even giving stuff like Rean's starting Master Quartz to Fie/Millium so they can nuke stuff while getting CP back is really nice.

Not swapping Master Quartz won't put you at a huge disadvantage, but there's a lot of stuff you can capitalize on if you do, and it'll especially help on a fresh nightmare playthrough. Some of these other Master Quartz don't really shine until you level it up a bit too. If you end up feeling like you've grasped Master Quartz stuff too late, there's at least CS2 left for you. I don't think I messed with that stuff too heavily on my first CS1 playthrough.

Gu4n

Posted earlier about how I started playing Cold Steel on my commute to work, ended up playing it all weekend. What a great game. Still only on Chapter 1 but no one told me the generous splash of Persona inspired stuff is in there, which makes me really happy. Even the After School song has the same synth slap bass sound as a lot of Meguro works. The battle system for this game is really awesome. I initially overlooked this game because even as a biased fan of strictly Japanese games, this kinda blipped on my "generic anime" radar but I'm glad so many people talked it up because this game is really great.
I think the fundamental difference between the two is that the Persona series has the school setting incorporated into its DNA (seeing how it spun off from Shin Megami Tensei If...) whereas Trails of Cold Steel 'happens to have' a game set at a military academy, because a) it was foreshadowed and b) makes sense in the context of the over-arching narrative.

That's the other fundamental difference between the two series: Persona has pre-determined story beats on specific dates since 3, that allow you to roam around in-between those dates. Trails is rigidly structured with a calendar that is only indicative, meaning sacrificing Persona's freedom allows them to have more control over the pacing. The outcome is that Persona delivers every story beat whereas Trails' slow burn saved up its ammo to unleash it toward the end -- and in the case of Trails of Cold Steel, save some for its direct sequel.

Link1110

CS1 is starting to drag. I'm in chapter 6, and I expected after the last chapter to feel different (after all the build up it got) not or feels like I'm doing the same things I've been doing all game. I know that after this only
a mini chapter
so I'm gonna stick with it for this great ending I've been hearing about. Don't let me down game. Please end well enough that I can forgive the bad pacing here

Any tricks for getting rean to level 80?

Of, and since when does reach have black hair. It's blue, in fact in the torn order pics be looks just fate linegod from star ocean 3. Half the time I looked at that thing, I called him fate (and Laura Maria for looking similar to that)

So I gotta buy dlc if I wanna get to level 80? Is the bonus in cs2 anywhere close to being with actual money?
TOCS 1 shining poms were free right before CS2 released. Doubt they still are but thats how I got them.

You can get to level 80 without them by grinding the final dungeon (or going to floor 6 and abusing grade bonuses). Its just time consuming in a not fun way

So I gotta buy dlc if I wanna get to level 80? Is the bonus in cs2 anywhere close to being with actual money?

DLC refreshes each playthrough

so you get three free ones per run from the free pack on the store. So that's 6 free levels if you're going for the plat since that requires at least two runs anyways. Any additional runs are 3 more free ones.

thumb

Banned

Thank you for continuing to make improvements. These games deserve to have a long life, and this sort of upkeep will help improve the experience for future players.

CS1 is starting to drag. I'm in chapter 6, and I expected after the last chapter to feel different (after all the build up it got) not or feels like I'm doing the same things I've been doing all game. I know that after this only
a mini chapter
so I'm gonna stick with it for this great ending I've been hearing about. Don't let me down game. Please end well enough that I can forgive the bad pacing here

The ending's great, and acts as a great advertisement for CS2. It's just a shame that CS2 didn't quite live up to what CS1 promised.

Any tricks for getting rean to level 80?

The only things worth fighting past level 65ish are the flaming orange heads in the old schoolhouse. Equip Rean with Megalith master quartz and Domination. Megalith will give you bonus exp and full CP regen (out of combat) in 10-12 seconds. There's four groups you can do without messing about with switches, up to eight mobs per time. Gale one half, and S-Craft the others.

But as others have said, it's really not worth it at all. It's just an extra 200 sepith and a Saintly Force quartz in CS2. Took me about 10 hours extra to get to level 80, but that was me killing time before CS2 came out.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
KeA's voice should be annoying but it's actually cute :-x ~2 more chapters until plat. Ao is in reach!!!

Edit: Did my nightmare clear run but the hard trophy didn't unlock do I have to do that one separately? Jesus noooooooo y_y

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, really? *drops Vita* We're done here!

In other news, looks like Tita and Randy will appear in Sen no Kiseki III.

Well trying to search the jp webs if anyone has any info on that if it was a bug I could just do the last boss again if it wasn't I guess I'll have to do a pure rush through some other time too drained after basically doing 3 perfect quest runs so I have import endings with ellie, randy and tio. x_X I think it time to move on to Ao.

Also nice to see Tita confirmed I had a strong feeling she would be one of the Sora cast. Randy is a nice confirm too. Randy meeting Fie make it happen Falcom! Make it right!!!

I think the fundamental difference between the two is that the Persona series has the school setting incorporated into its DNA (seeing how it spun off from Shin Megami Tensei If...) whereas Trails of Cold Steel 'happens to have' a game set at a military academy, because a) it was foreshadowed and b) makes sense in the context of the over-arching narrative.

That's the other fundamental difference between the two series: Persona has pre-determined story beats on specific dates since 3, that allow you to roam around in-between those dates. Trails is rigidly structured with a calendar that is only indicative, meaning sacrificing Persona's freedom allows them to have more control over the pacing. The outcome is that Persona delivers every story beat whereas Trails' slow burn saved up its ammo to unleash it toward the end -- and in the case of Trails of Cold Steel, save some for its direct sequel.

Oh yeah, it's not really as big a part of the game, but I was completely unaware of the inspiration it drew from the Persona series going in. Was a pleasant surprise haha.

Tonton

So Tita will be about three years older than she was at the time of the Sky games, right? That will be interesting.

I hope that Agate will show up at some point, too. I want to see him again, and if Tita is appearing it only feels right.
I think she should be 16/17 in CS3 (she was 12 in FC)

Nyoro SF

Randy my boy... it's time to tear things up again. Hell fucking yeah.

Tita is not a surprise at all considering the appearance of soldats and divine knights. She'll probably work together with George if I had a guess.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Randy my boy... it's time to tear things up again. Hell fucking yeah.

Tita is not a surprise at all considering the appearance of soldats and divine knights. She'll probably work together with George if I had a guess.

Yep, agreed. I felt like given the current events she was just to strong of a member narratively to no bring back. Party member that can serve as techno babble plot device is a strong tool to have as a writer. Plus she's one of the characters that could have had the most obvious changes beyond just having a new set of clothes. Makes it appealing from a design standpoint too.

I swear... if Cold Steel 3 don't have Schera back...

Falcom pls ;-;
Erebonia doesn't sell whips sorry mate :-x

godisntheradio

Neo Member
how's the zero no kiseki fan translation going? i know the 3rd hasn't even come out yet but there's a lot of kiseki news lately and it makes me really excited for playing these games

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I swear... if Cold Steel 3 don't have Schera back...

Falcom pls ;-;
Schera/Sara tag-team.

Randy is confirmed, Lloyd is all but confirmed, Mueller is confirmed to get an adequate role, Rean is looking clean, and we have a character using tonfa guns.

All I need now is confirmation of Kevin.

Quick question: Trails of Cold Steel is my first game in this series ever (Probably my first Falcom game actually). Are Trails in the Sky, Zero no Kiseki, and Ao related in anyway? And if yes, how so? Any games in the series I should absolutely play before I carry on with the sequel? Even if they are stand alone for the most part, I would like to not miss any cool references or anything like that.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question: Trails of Cold Steel is my first game in this series ever. Are Trails in the Sky, Zero no Kiseki, and Ao related in anyway? And if yes, how so? Any games in the series I should absolutely play before I carry on with the sequel? Even if they are stand alone for the most part, I would like to not miss any cool references or anything like that.

All these games are part of the same world and also are close to each other chronologically. Characters/events can and do jump between titles and the Sky duology kind of establishes the foundations of what the big bad of the series is and their general plan seems to be.
I think just play Cold Steel II before jumping back to the sky games.

All these games are part of the same world and also are close to each other chronologically. Characters/events can and do jump between titles and the Sky duology kind of establishes the foundations of what the big bad of the series is and their general plan seems to be.
I think just play Cold Steel II before jumping back to the sky games.

Ah okay. I guess I'm not missing anything too big worth back tracking for until I finish Trails of Cold Steel II then? As far as localized titles go, is there just Trails of the Sky 1&2, and a handful of the original Dragon Slayer/Legend of Heroes titles? Do majority of the non localized entries have english patched roms at all?

Thanks!

Ah okay. I guess I'm not missing anything too big worth back tracking for until I finish Trails of Cold Steel II then? As far as localized titles go, is there just Trails of the Sky 1&2, and a handful of the original Dragon Slayer/Legend of Heroes titles? Do majority of the non localized entries have english patched roms at all?

Thanks!

You'll miss out on some callbacks, but nothing absolutely essential.

Right now it's just Trails in the Sky I & II and Cold Steel I & II translated. Trails in the Sky the 3rd is coming out in English soon (supposedly this spring).

No translation patches yet for Zero or Ao, but one is being worked on for Zero.

Alright thanks! Makes me happy I don't have to throw some more JRPGs into my backlog anytime soon. Really digging Cold Steel, so hoping to get through as much as that as possible before P5 drops.

Korigama

Schera/Sara tag-team.
No bar in all of Erebonia or Crossbell would ever survive such a thing...therefore, it needs to happen.
Alright thanks! Makes me happy I don't have to throw some more JRPGs into my backlog anytime soon. Really digging Cold Steel, so hoping to get through as much as that as possible before P5 drops.
Borrowing from the OT for CS I, this is what the timeline looked like up until CS II for reference down the line.
2FEf2a1.jpg

Borrowing from the OT for CS I, this is what the timeline looked like up until CS II for reference down the line.

That's really helpful, thank you! Had no idea all these games were within such close proximity with each other, pretty interesting. I know a lot of people praise Sora no Kiseki so was definitely gonna play those and I remember seeing some official illustrations for Zero no Kiseki that looked really appealing so I hope I can play that and Ao some time.

Schera/Sara tag-team.

Randy is confirmed, Lloyd is all but confirmed, Mueller is confirmed to get an adequate role, Rean is looking clean, and we have a character using tonfa guns.

All I need now is confirmation of Kevin.

Imperial Chronicle Special Edition:

All alcohol in the entirety of His Majesty's realm missing!

Imperial ministers baffled!

The disappearance of all brewed or distilled beverages thruout the entire empire yesterday sent shockwaves thru an already rattled nation. Anyone with any leads on mysterious sightings of vivacious foreign agents seen at the scenes of the worst disappearances is encouraged to come forth to authorities.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
how's the zero no kiseki fan translation going? i know the 3rd hasn't even come out yet but there's a lot of kiseki news lately and it makes me really excited for playing these games

I wonder if they are waiting for 3rd before they start talking much about it. Haven't seen anything since all the discussion when it was first announced, apart from the blog being put up for updates (but not updated beyond that yet).

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Damn Ao starts out with a bang lettings us control some high profile people from the get go. A nice surprise after Zero had more of a system where most new members would join more in a guest capacity rather being a fully combat able part of the team. Actually that's maybe not fair to say when I think about it :/.

Gu4n

I wonder if they are waiting for 3rd before they start talking much about it. Haven't seen anything since all the discussion when it was first announced, apart from the blog being put up for updates (but not updated beyond that yet).
Not really, there just isn't much to talk about. Progress is slow, especially on a game as big as this one.

Even though I think Persona 5 is the better game, it did spark some newfound re-appreciation for Cold Steel in me. Also, don't rush -- shelve it if you must, but these games are too great to rush through.

Well I beat the PC Engine ver. of the very first Eiyuu Densetsu. It was nothing revolutionary, but the VA flourishes added by Hudson give the game an interesting, if not surreal quality. The sequel looks like it saw a slight production quality jump (cutscene visuals throughout, rather than just the beginning and end) and I'll probably try to play it sometime soon.

Even though I think Persona 5 is the better game, it did spark some newfound re-appreciation for Cold Steel in me. Also, don't rush -- shelve it if you must, but these games are too great to rush through.

Oh yeah, Persona is my favorite series alongside SMT, so it will probably just be my commute game rather than my leisure time game like it has been. Don't worry on the rushing, 13 hours in and only on Chapter 2. Doing all the sidequests I can and really taking in the NPCs around campus. One thing I really appreciate about this game is how there aren't a ton of random NPCs, but actual students and teachers you can follow along with as far as their life goes and how the writing really implies that they even interact with the other Class VII students. Gives it a ton of personality and I really don't wanna miss any of that so I'm gonna make sure to take in as much dialogue and reading as can.

Top Bottom