• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

I've been seriously wanting to play Trails in the Sky, figured it would be a good way to start the series, how is the 2011 PSP version?

Not bad, just there's translation errors in it that have since been fixed in the PC version. Also keep in mind that while the 2nd game in the trilogy is on PSP, the 3rd game will only be releasing on PC.

Not bad, just there's translation errors in it that have since been fixed in the PC version. Also keep in mind that while the 2nd game in the trilogy is on PSP, the 3rd game will only be releasing on PC.

Thanks, I still love my PSP and I also want another meaty, classic style RPG after I finish DQ VII. Is the version with the updated translation the one which was a very stressful experience for the localization team? So third game will be PC/Steam exclusive, huh? Kind of odd.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, I still love my PSP and I also want another meaty, classic style RPG after I finish DQ VII. Is the version with the updated translation the one which was a very stressful experience for the localization team?

You may be thinking of SC/Second Chapter, but both that and FC/First Chapter (just "Trails in the Sky") probably qualify.

The updated translation mostly ties in with the rest of the games in the series better. The first game was basically localized in a vacuum without consideration for further games. Plus it was a little rushed, probably more than a little if you ask H.Protagonist. The PC versions of both FC and SC still get minor text tweaks to better tie in with the new games when necessary, so they stay up to date.

Unless portability is a must, I'd imagine just about anyone would recommend the PC versions over the PSP ones. PSP will suffice if you are content with a less-than-optimal experience and won't be bothered by terminology changes and a few name changes across games. SC PSP also has "disc" swapping despite being a PSN download, and it's the type of swapping that can have you doing it a lot late in the game if you decide to tackle a lot of optional content.

You may be thinking of SC/Second Chapter, but both that and FC/First Chapter (just "Trails in the Sky") probably qualify.

The updated translation mostly ties in with the rest of the games in the series better. The first game was basically localized in a vacuum without consideration for further games. Plus it was a little rushed, probably more than a little if you ask H.Protagonist. The PC versions of both FC and SC still get minor text tweaks to better tie in with the new games when necessary, so they stay up to date.

Unless portability is a must, I'd imagine just about anyone would recommend the PC versions over the PSP ones. PSP will suffice if you are content with a less-than-optimal experience and won't be bothered by terminology changes and a few name changes across games. SC PSP also has "disc" swapping despite being a PSN download, and it's the type of swapping that can have you doing it a lot late in the game if you decide to tackle a lot of optional content.

Thanks for the info, might rethink the PSP version.

Out of curiosity, do we have any idea how the Cold Steel games sold relative to Sky? Things I see on other sites sorta imply that Cold Steel 1 and 2 seem to be a tad few degrees more popular than Sky (IE, a question I see oft repeated on TiTS videos of "Is this the same series as Cold Steel?", but who knows how accurate a metric that is.

I've been seriously wanting to play Trails in the Sky, figured it would be a good way to start the series, how is the 2011 PSP version?

Don't. Just get the games on Steam, since 3C's western release will be Steam exclusive anyway. These are RPGs with save-importing carrying over character levels and decisions.

SC PSP also has "disc" swapping despite being a PSN download, and it's the type of swapping
that can have you doing it a lot late in the game if you decide to tackle a lot of optional content

Spoilers? I'm still early-game in SC. Does that mean
I'll be able to freely go between the cities later on
or something? Out of a morbid curiosity concerning the technically end of things without saying too much,
Is the disc-split between cities, or is it between the normal world and *endgame area*?

Just curious about how exactly Falcom went about splitting the game data across multiple UMDs in the first place porting SC to PSP, because SC is only a mere 4GBs...

Oreiller

Spoilers? I'm still early-game in SC. Does that mean
I'll be able to freely go between the cities later on
or something? Out of a morbid curiosity concerning the technically end of things without saying too much,
Is the disc-split between cities, or is it between the normal world and *endgame area*?

You can freely travel from city to city at some point in the game, and you have to swap discs when you go between cities. This part of the game is so much better on PC, because swapping discs becomes annoying pretty quickly.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You can freely travel from city to city at some point in the game, and you have to swap discs when you go between cities. This part of the game is so much better on PC, because swapping discs becomes annoying pretty quickly.

I wouldn't consider this a spoiler either, after two games it would be disappointing if this didn't happen.

Plus it's an important difference between the two versions that deserves mention when someone is considering the PSP version or undecided between the two. The later parts of the game are much better on PC because of it.

It's not like it's a big deal on PSP. Since the game is digital only in the west, all you're doing is saving and then opening a different game, which takes like 20 seconds tops. It's a minor nuisance at absolute worst, and it's something you probably do five or six times during the entire 95 hour game.

Diablos54

It's not like it's a big deal on PSP. Since the game is digital only in the west, all you're doing is saving and then opening a different game, which takes like 20 seconds tops. It's a minor nuisance at absolute worst, and it's something you probably do five or six times during the entire 95 hour game.
Yea if you're going everywhere/talking to everyone like you should be, you'll only need to switch discs 2/3 times anyway so it's not too much of an issue.

The PC version does have the chest messages for SC though IIRC which are always good fun!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know, I was going back and forth all over the place completing some of those side quests. I guess if you know you have to deal with the disc swap you can do things a bit more organized so you aren't switching as much.

Thoraxes

Nobody will pry these UMDs for FC out of my hands.

I started playing Trails in the Sky back in late 2015 for PC, after sitting on the PSP version for years.

Tonight, I finished SC for the first time.

Holy Hell what a ride it was. And there's still one more game coming out.

I have to say, playing these games on/off for the past year and a half I've sure come to love spending time with Estelle and the gang and seeing the sights in Liberl. A little sad that it's over (for now).

Also
God damn Kevin, I thought I knew you.

Psxphile

Does the 3rd transfer anything from SC? If so, what?

Kinda. You can do a save transfer, but it just unlocks some bonus items and sepith depending on your Bracer Rank from SC. You don't carry over any levels for any of the SC characters, nor are any of the numerous interactions you had in the previous game change any of the dialogue that occurs in The 3rd.

Figure I might as well as this here, since this is the most active Trails thread. Anyways in Cold Steel 2, I am in the
Last Free Day in Afterwards - The End of Winter. About how much time do I have remaining?
Going to try to finish Cold Steel 2 up before Persona 5.

Having played Zero and Ao, I can definitely think of a case where having Zane's real name, Zin, is important. I think it is a wise future proofing move to undo the choice to call him Zane. This ain't a self-contained thing, terms and names can have far reaching consequences in these games...

Without saying anything concerning Ao's story...

Can you tell me any particular reason the designs of a pair of characters in Ao seem to be wholesale ripoffs of L
enneth
and S
ilmeria
?

Other than of course just another case of a JRPG dev duct-taping on something
Norse
-ish-looking BECAUSE REASONS judging by Zero/Ao's
Yggdrasil
-knockoff tree. In which case I guess I don't need an answer.

No really, how did the series go from the most outlandish character design merely being a guy with a trenchcoat and a single redundant belt to Discount Lenneth in the span of only a few games?

Korigama

Figure I might as well as this here, since this is the most active Trails thread. Anyways in Cold Steel 2, I am in the
Last Free Day in Afterwards - The End of Winter. About how much time do I have remaining?
Going to try to finish Cold Steel 2 up before Persona 5.
I'm not great with such estimates, but I suppose around
10-20
more hours, depending on how you play. No time soon, either way.

Without saying anything concerning Ao's story...

Can you tell me any particular reason the designs of a pair of characters in Ao seem to be wholesale ripoffs of L
enneth
and S
ilmeria
?

Other than of course just another case of a JRPG dev duct-taping on something
Norse
-ish-looking BECAUSE REASONS judging by Zero/Ao's
Yggdrasil
-knockoff tree. In which case I guess I don't need an answer.

No really, how did the series go from the most outlandish character design merely being a guy with a trenchcoat and a single redundant belt to Discount Lenneth in the span of only a few games?

Basically, it's an eccentric organization filled with eccentric people.

[Vague Sky FC spoiler]
Basically, Ouroboros is an eccentric organization filled with eccentric people.

Yeah, honestly I kinda guessed that the moment I laid my eyes on that one
Green-haired kid who was clearly a bit crazy. And then Bleublanc. And then... Uh, sunglasses guy. And then Renne. Hehe, a regular Ginyu Force if there ever was one.

Korigama

Yeah, honestly I kinda guessed that the moment I laid my eyes on that one
Green-haired kid who was clearly a bit crazy. And then Bleublanc. And then... Uh, sunglasses guy. And then Renne. Hehe, a regular Ginyu Force if there ever was one.
Eh, the Ginyu Force wish they were anywhere near as much of a threat. The Phantom Troupe from Hunter x Hunter seems a more apt comparison.

Eh, the Ginyu Force wish they were anywhere near as much of a threat. The Phantom Troupe from Hunter x Hunter seems a more apt comparison.

No character in any RPG is a threat in the face of CertifiedFP's cheese-builds and cheese-strats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[FC]
Except Colonel Richard. Jesus christ. Though I guess I might have rushed through that last dungeon a bit too fast for my own good.

Need to get my SC run moving again. Been short on time to play it in between work, other work, and Day of Infamy. I've got way too many JRPGs right now I'm in the middle of... SC, Nioh, NierA, Berseria, some others, and I'm probably forgetting a few hundred others from the past decade I've yet to finish. Thank god I've got the memory to remember where I am and what I'm doing in these.

Psxphile

Looks like xseed is going to stream a preview of The 3rd on Friday.

EDIT:
C8mI2UZWsAEfJPl.jpg:small

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Need to get back to Ao too but I can't move on. Every time I try to play I just feel the disappointment of Zero Llyod(cause I'm missing the finish on hard trophy for the plat).
I can't move on, my obsession to plat games I regard as my absolute favorites has reached new heights of crazy :-x. And I just don't have it in my right now to do a rush on hard for the endboss. Probably could be done in like ~4 hours but man after 3 complete 100% quest playthroughs the burnout is real.

SephLuis

Need to get back to Ao too but I can't move on. Every time I try to play I just feel the disappointment of Zero Llyod(cause I'm missing the finish on hard trophy for the plat).
I can't move on, my obsession to plat games I regard as my absolute favorites has reached new heights of crazy :-x. And I just don't have it in my right now to do a rush on hard for the endboss. Probably could be done in like ~4 hours but man after 3 complete 100% quest playthroughs the burnout is real.

It's okay to give up.

No one is going to judge you for quitting and keeping your sanity and love for the series intact.

That hole where the remaining trophies would be will not haunt you, nor they will become a stain in a perfect collection. Let it go. Enjoy Ao and join us commenting this great adventure, even without the trophies.

This might trigger your OCD, but I really do hope you don't let them kill your enjoyment for the series. I have been there once and it's really better to let go

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
It's okay to give up.

No one is going to judge you for quitting and keeping your sanity and love for the series intact.

That hole where the remaining trophies would be will not haunt you, nor they will become a stain in a perfect collection. Let it go. Enjoy Ao and join us commenting this great adventure, even without the trophies.

This might trigger your OCD, but I really do hope you don't let them kill your enjoyment for the series. I have been there once and it's really better to let go

Nja it's not going to affect my enjoyment once I can find the motivation to finish Zero up.
It's more a looming thing in my mind like I can't close the chapter of a game I like that much and move on properly instead of budding resentment towards the game/series. It just feels like I haven't done everything it has to offer. If anything my resentment is limited to the guy that made the decision to not have the hard trophy unlock alongside with nightmare xD. Also not concerned about others judging platting games I regard highly is 100% a personal thing. It's like my way of paying respects to games I adore. There are games I liked a lot too that I don't care to plat cause they don't grip me on that level.

I tried to let go by starting Ao :-x but didn't work I made it to Crossbell and the OCD is just too real. Doesn't help that 2017 has been unbelievably stellar that I somehow fallen in love with every game I put my hands on to the point that I platted them all(Nioh, Nier, Yakuza 0, Severed). So keeping the streak alive is that 0.1% of added OCD xD.

It all went wrong with a bet for some free beers with a friend for who can plat the original Dark Souls first xD. Before I didn't give a fuck about trophies.
Appreciate the concern though ;)

Edit: Anyone knows what happened to PKGaming? Saw he was banned. Missing his trails impressions.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe it's time for the release date reveal...

XSEED normally gives release dates for PC games really close to release, probably because they have the freedom to release them ASAP once they are ready on their end. Last we heard it was looking like late spring, so it would be pretty surprising to see a release date already.

On the other hand, it is nice that we're seeing an example of them making a bigger effort to push a digital/PC game. I don't think SC got anything other than a couple blog posts and Twitter mentions before it released, certainly not a live stream 2 months from release, give or take.

XSEED normally gives release dates for PC games really close to release, probably because they have the freedom to release them ASAP once they are ready on their end. Last we heard it was looking like late spring, so it would be pretty surprising to see a release date already.

On the other hand, it is nice that we're seeing an example of them making a bigger effort to push a digital/PC game. I don't think SC got anything other than a couple blog posts and Twitter mentions before it released, certainly not a live stream 2 months from release, give or take.
they also said that was a huge mistake with xanadu next

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm ready for some more Kevin.

[SC Ch 3 end/4 intro(???)]
Hah, now there's something. I've never seen a JRPG put the player on the winning side of the "Heads I Win, Tails You Lose" trope before.

I guess Falcom really was self-aware of how many times FC pulled that bullshit on the player.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
img.jpg

Sen III character designs for Alan and Vivi in the top right.

Me having that moment when your emotional excitement/response for minor/side characters reappearing is higher than for the entire main cast of certain RPGs *cough car pushing cough*.

Western release when?

I'm sure Spike Chunsoft should be able to pump out a localized PC+PS4 version within 6 months of the Japanese release.

Huehuehue. Though I guess the joke of XSEED getting Falcom titles yoinked by competitors with PC porting teams stopped being funny around Ys VIII's western announcement and we sorta figured out that this is actually a thing that's happening...

...Honestly I'd find it kinda fucked up if Falcom title localization quality ends up being a casualty of the Steam JRPG boom that XSEED themselves helped pioneer in the first place.

Top Bottom