• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

evilalien

In Trails SC, who's the better spellcaster--Olivier or Kloe?

Olivier's description in the party select menu makes him sound like a better magic-user, but
Kloe's was wrecking faces a lot more in Ch7 with that one armor that gives +100 ATS
. Is there a male equivalent?

I know
Oliver leaves out of nowhere in CH8, but I'm just asking out of curiosity

Kloe, because females have the best ATS equipment.

Cqef

But Kloe is bound to practically only use high water arts due to her orbment having 3 slots dedicated to water quartz. Olivier on the other hand can be way more versatile than her, especially when it comes to offensive arts, and while he may have slightly less ATS than Kloe, he has better SPD and has more room to put spelltime reduction quartz (like Cast 2 or Time Gem) in his orbment.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How would you guys rank the games including the unlocalized titles like Zero, Ao, TitS TC, and Nayuta?

Shahed

Both are good. Kloe has one too many water slots but her power makes up for it. I think I have her using mainly Water and Time Arts like Cocytus and Death Scream/Abyss Fall. Oliver's slightly lower offense is made up for by being more customisable. Kloe is slightly more useful in my mind, but yiu can use whoever you like.

This is my copy of The 3rd.

pa.135399.2.jpg

It's Chinese (my 3rd language, not good at it), it's in my old PC that's dead, and to replay it I'd have to dig up/find back this game from my old home, and I don't even know if there's any DRM stuff involved. It's been so long.

Playing any game through Chinese takes me 3x the time it takes for me to play an equivalent in English. I'd take my chances waiting for an eventual localisation.

Even if 3rd never gets localised, then I'll just grab 3rd Evolution down the line since it's fully dubbed, and I understand spoken Japanese.

Famassu

This is my copy of The 3rd.

pa.135399.2.jpg

It's Chinese (my 3rd language, not good at it), it's in my old PC that's dead, and to replay it I'd have to dig up/find back this game from my old home, and I don't even know if there's any DRM stuff involved. It's been so long.

Playing any game through Chinese takes me 3x the time it takes for me to play an equivalent in English. I'd take my chances waiting for an eventual localisation.
Oh. :D Well, that's perfectly understandable. Was wondering if you had some bigger problems with the gameplay or its content for some reason.

omgfloofy

Banned
How would you guys rank the games including the unlocalized titles like Zero, Ao, TitS TC, and Nayuta?

1. Ao
2. 3rd
2. Cold Steel II
(Yes, two 2's. I can't decide between which. 3rd usually sits on top, then I remember about something from CSII.) CS2 Spoiler:
The Dream Corridor.

3. Zero
4. SC.
5. Cold Steel
6. FC.

EDIT:
oof. And Nayuta in this mix? I probably wouldn't put it into the batch, because I'm looking for a 'different scratch to itch' when I play Nayuta than when I'm playing the other Kiseki games, due to the different gameplay.

Fhoenix

So Olivier is pretty much obsolete as a useful party member! I relied on Kloe's s-skill to get me through most of this game on Hard mode haha.
There is no such thing as too many characters with good orbment lines. Also Olivier is more versatile. Kloe's orbment kind of forces her to be mostly water/healing even if she does have higher ATS. I think I used them both in my party.

Shizuka

1. Ao
2. 3rd
2. Cold Steel II
(Yes, two 2's. I can't decide between which. 3rd usually sits on top, then I remember about something from CSII.) CS2 Spoiler:
The Dream Corridor.

3. Zero
4. SC.
5. Cold Steel
6. FC.

EDIT:
oof. And Nayuta in this mix? I probably wouldn't put it into the batch, because I'm looking for a 'different scratch to itch' when I play Nayuta than when I'm playing the other Kiseki games, due to the different gameplay.

The three worst are the only three we have in english so far, yikes.

Fhoenix

The three worst are the only three we have in english so far, yikes.
I will be the black sheep of the board and say that FC (and some parts of SC) is still my favorite. Other games may improve on it, by they also repeat each other a lot. So the sense of awe and surprise is less. Also Estelle.

Anyway none of them are bad and it's good that FC came out first in English.

todd360

I just beat FC on my vita! I really liked it. I bought the game on steam when it released due to all the hype for it on neogaf and played it until the sewers at the beginning of the game. Put it down and told myself I would get to it later since I had a whole bunch of games already that I still had to beat. I ended up getting it on vita once I finally decided to play it for real. I never felt like sitting at my computer for this game. Anyways, I'm downloading SC on my computer right now. I decided that I would play on pc this time instead of vita. I always find hooking up my DS4 to be a pain. That is the biggest reason for me playing FC on vita. I liked the game enough to not be lazy about that for SC.

I downloaded a perfect save to import to SC. I did most of the side quests in FC, but a few expired on me and I didn't even know about those books you could collect. So it will be cool to start with a better save than I should have.

Nyoro SF

Got really far in Sen 2 today.

I expect the plot to pick up much harder now that
I've grabbed all my Class 7 buddies back.

The fact that my main squad Laura, Emma and Jusis were all last inline was definitely on purpose by Falcom, I won't accept any other explanation! Still, it's good to have Emma and her broken ass back in action. Against the Enforcer battle, I just stacked Noble Command all day every day like good old times.

Feels totally natural to get sandbagged. I can't remember the last legit victory I had against an official boss in the past 20 hours.

Marche90

As many have said before, jeez, having so many people putting the localized games on the bottom and Ao especially on the top, makes me feel sad that who knows how many months/years will take to get them in English, or even if most of them will make the jump.

Also, hi, new to the series, beat FC in January after marathoning it for a week or two and beat SC last week after inmediatly jumping it after finishing the other game. Haven't jumped into CS because a) I want a physical copy and by the looks of it it seems like not a single store here in Mexico stocked the game at all and b) CS ending spoilers, I guess? Is this even considered a spoiler?
I don't want to wait for a while after reaching the cliffhanger where the game ends.

I just jumped into the behemot's lair that is the Kiseki series, haven't I?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Interesting that TitS TC is up there in your lists. I was heavily expecting an extended, extra epilogue (ala FFX-2) with little bearing to the TitS arc.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, Cold Steel is among the worst in the series? Considering how much I'm loving it, that idea just blows my mind. I'm glad that Falcom and XSEED both seem to want to bring as much of the series to the West as possible. Hopefully Zero and Ao will happen someday.

But yeah, if this is as bad as it gets, then I suspect Kiseki might end up becoming one of my favorite RPG series.

Zolbrod

Nayuta >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else

Everything else:
3rd
Zero
Cold Steel
FC
SC

Haven't played Ao or Cold Steel 2 yet. Currently working through Cold Steel 1 so it may end up higher/lower depending on how it plays out.

Eusis

Part of the reason Nayuta seems weird to slot in there is the focuses. The mainline Kiseki games are all about a long, ongoing storyline with a world that continually gets deeper development... while Nayuta is an action RPG that shares some concepts and terminology with more superficial references and an arguably mediocre story. It's like trying to rank the Crash or Jak racing games with the rest of the games in the series: they may be really enjoyable and even preferred over some of the entries, but the focuses are entirely different.

SephLuis

From the ones I played so far:

SC
Zero
3rd
FC

I haven't finished Zero or 3rd yet. Just came back to 3rd recently after a hiatus and I hope to finish it soon.

Interesting that TitS TC is up there in your lists. I was heavily expecting an extended, extra epilogue (ala FFX-2) with little bearing to the TitS arc.

It's much more meaningful to the series to be called a simple epilogue.

It expands the story of a lots of characters, sets up future events and a lot more.

Guan, which has been helping me with understanding 3rd story, is also helping this site to translate a little bit of the 3rd story in english:

http://www.esterior.net/category/5-site/translation-tuesday/

I would recommend this ONLY if you finished SC.

The next door they will do it's one of the most amazing ones and it sets up things that, I think, will happen in Sen no Kiseki (haven't played yet)

omgfloofy

Banned
The next door they will do it's one of the most amazing ones and it sets up things that, I think, will happen in Sen no Kiseki (haven't played yet)

As a heads up, it *is* getting split into two, since it's a long video, and just half of it is taking a lot of work on its own. My editing method seems to eat up a lot of time. lol

But I see it as more setup for the political atmosphere than related directly to an event in Cold Steel. Cold Steel spoiler:
But there is a scene in Cold Steel that references this door directly.

Psxphile

3rd/Zero/Azure/CSII
TitS SC
CS
TitS FC

Kisekis I haven't played go at the top of the list because I haven't played them yet and that means they have absolutely no chance to disappoint me thus they are the most magical pieces of entertainment to ever exist therefore they are the best of all Kisekis okay I'm done.

Except Nayuta.

jackal27

Banned
Well I finished FC... Didn't really get the hype. Could just be my preferences. It was a solid game, but didn't hook me. Really didn't enjoy the graphic style mainly. That and the repetitive music. Took me about 60 hours and those tunes got old. Really felt like it overstayed its welcome. The story was sweet and I enjoyed the characters though. It just didn't do that much for me. I did enjoy the battle system though.

I've moved on to Cold Steel now because I don't have it in me to just into SC after slogging through FC for so long. I'm liking Cold Steel more at this point.

Please tell me why I'm terrible.

omgfloofy

Banned

Not so much that you're terrible, but plot events from SC can/will come up in Cold Steel. If you keep on through Cold Steel II and play it before you play SC, you'll get more of that.

You also get one of the major plot twists of SC spoiled in the first hour of Cold Steel.

jackal27

Banned
Not so much that you're terrible, but plot events from SC can/will come up in Cold Steel. If you keep on through Cold Steel II and play it before you play SC, you'll get more of that.

You also get one of the major plot twists of SC spoiled in the first hour of Cold Steel.

Well I'm already a few hours in so whoops. I have no idea what that plot point could possibly be though haha.

omgfloofy

Banned
Well I'm already a few hours in so whoops. I have no idea what that plot point could possibly be though haha.

That's because it's not treated like a big deal in Cold Steel, due to the different country and cast.

Once you finish Cold Steel, though, I do recommend going back and finishing SC. There's a really big point in CSII that will have much more of an impact once you've finished SC.

Well I finished FC... Didn't really get the hype. Could just be my preferences. It was a solid game, but didn't hook me. Really didn't enjoy the graphic style mainly. That and the repetitive music. Took me about 60 hours and those tunes got old. Really felt like it overstayed its welcome. The story was sweet and I enjoyed the characters though. It just didn't do that much for me. I did enjoy the battle system though.

I've moved on to Cold Steel now because I don't have it in me to just into SC after slogging through FC for so long. I'm liking Cold Steel more at this point.

How are you immune to That Thirst? Are you a camel?
No, seriously, Estelle is in Beast Mode in SC. GOAT heroine material, 10 star narrative scenes, best ever music shit

Nyoro SF

Made big progress in Sen 2 / CS2.

Er... around one point of the game, I got totally lost. My Japanese isn't perfect by any means, but I was able to follow the plot pretty easily up until...
Rean gets forced into a deal to save everyone at Ymir, then he goes onto the ship and has lunch n' tea with all the villains (nice) then he meets Alfin, who makes him realize that he has a chaos emerald inside of him so then they effect their escape with Rean realizing that he was Dalles all along and hotfoots it out of there. Then after his power dies out the bad guys catch up to him but then the Courageous drops in the backup team.

So... after that, what the hell happens? Both sides agree to not fight? They just leave the enemy ship out and about? Crow makes a deal to fight Rean all-out the next time they meet judging from my sparse understanding of JP, but why did the battle suddenly turn into friendly chatter and bye-byes? Then a lot of major characters teleported themselves to Legram for... some reason.

That's really the only part of the game where I lost the plot. I'm at the point where
the military has reclaimed Celdric and just reboarded the Courageous.

Also
Vita has, no doubt, the most punchable face in Falcom game history. I look forward to laying down the law against her. Don't let this one be a sandbag battle Falcom, I need to mech punch her into SPACE

ULTROS!

Interesting that you guys rank CSII over SC, and I thought SC had an amazing story. Can't wait to play CSII.

On the other hand, CS was just OK. It's really slow but starting to pick up (I'm at Chapter 6 now). Though I kind of get it since they wanted to do more world building first ala FC but I still prefer how FC is paced compared to CS.

Ao and Zero seems like a missed localization potential. From the looks of it, it currently has the best LoH arc. Hope they do a current gen port at least!

Shouta

I personally think SC is too long and felt like things were happening but it didn't get real traction until towards the end. CS2 is pretty much a roller coaster to the end and it does a lot of things that makes it feel fresh relative to other Trails games.

CS2 also benefits immensely from CS1 which sets everything up. That's part of the reason why even though I like CS1, I rate it lower overall. Much of the pay off is within CS2 where other 1st games for Trails (Zero and FC) are more self-contained, IMO.

Famassu

Interesting that you guys rank CSII over SC, and I thought SC had an amazing story. Can't wait to play CSII.

On the other hand, CS was just OK. It's really slow but starting to pick up (I'm at Chapter 6 now). Though I kind of get it since they wanted to do more world building first ala FC but I still prefer how FC is paced compared to CS.

Ao and Zero seems like a missed localization potential. From the looks of it, it currently has the best LoH arc. Hope they do a current gen port at least!
I was the same with CS when I was in Chapter 6 as well. I was a bit disappointed in CS in comparison to FC because I felt that it hadn't quite reached the highs of FC even so late in the game, then the insanity that is the final Chapter (& especially its final hours) happened and that kind of made the whole of CS feel better in retrospect.

And Ao & Zero aren't really "missed" opportunities, at least not yet. They just HAD to skip to CS from SC because they needed to get CS I & II out before Vita & PS3 are completely dead. They'll hopefully get around to those after CSII, though first they have to localize Third since that sets up Zero & Ao as well.

ZoronMaro

Are all the people playing the unlocalized games just really fluent in Japanese or are there some translated guides or something? I'm just curious because I have a minor in Japanese and still find text heavy games like kiseki impossible unless I just ignore story.

Not that it matters much to me I've only finished TitS FC a month ago and I'm hoping by the time I finish SC and CS that CSII will be out (I spread out my RPGs even when I'm not waiting for sequels). Just curious if Neogaf has more Japanese speakers than I thought, or if there're alternative resources for the story.

jackal27

Banned
That's because it's not treated like a big deal in Cold Steel, due to the different country and cast.

Once you finish Cold Steel, though, I do recommend going back and finishing SC. There's a really big point in CSII that will have much more of an impact once you've finished SC.

That makes sense. I was kind of wondering if it would do something like that since FC treated what could be huge plot elements as just pieces of the world it was building.

I'm sure that I will go back and play SC at some point. Right now I'm just so burnt out. Cold Steel feels different enough that I'm not getting the same vibes though. I'm enjoying it

Famassu

Are all the people playing the unlocalized games just really fluent in Japanese or are there some translated guides or something? I'm just curious because I have a minor in Japanese and still find text heavy games like kiseki impossible unless I just ignore story.

Not that it matters much to me I've only finished TitS FC a month ago and I'm hoping by the time I finish SC and CS that CSII will be out (I spread out my RPGs even when I'm not waiting for sequels). Just curious if Neogaf has more Japanese speakers than I thought, or if there're alternative resources for the story.
AFAIK, yes, there are many people in these threads who are fluent enough in Japanese that they can play these Kiseki games and understand most or everything that is happening without any guides. Don't think anyone here has played these games without being fluent enough that they get at least the main gist of things, even if some more special terminology escapes their understanding.

That makes sense. I was kind of wondering if it would do something like that since FC treated what could be huge plot elements as just pieces of the world it was building.

I'm sure that I will go back and play SC at some point. Right now I'm just so burnt out. Cold Steel feels different enough that I'm not getting the same vibes though. I'm enjoying it
You kind of should've noticed the big reveal about a certain thing that is a big part of TitS even if you have only played FC, though SC is the one where the thing is revealed in an epic way whereas Cold Steel just treats it as common knowledge for Erebonians.

SephLuis

As a heads up, it *is* getting split into two, since it's a long video, and just half of it is taking a lot of work on its own. My editing method seems to eat up a lot of time. lol

But I see it as more setup for the political atmosphere than related directly to an event in Cold Steel. Cold Steel spoiler:
But there is a scene in Cold Steel that references this door directly.

I saw that, and I also know that door is a gigantic one >_>
Either way, good job with everything so far. I am waiting on this one.

I study japanese for 5-6 years, with a few stops. I do have a electronic dictionary to help me with some kanji though.

Though I have been playing RPGs since year 2 on the japanese lessons, obviously my understanding was iffy at best at the time. I would understand most of the context of what was going on, but the finer points were completely lost to me.

In some cases this is still true even today. At least it takes a lot more to completely fly over my head lol

In my case, this series has motivated me to start to really take kanji learning seriously. I hope that by the end of this year I'll be able to play through Zero and Ao without too much trouble.

Eusis

AFAIK, yes, there are many people in these threads who are fluent enough in Japanese that they can play these Kiseki games and understand most or everything that is happening without any guides. Don't think anyone here has played these games without being fluent enough that they get at least the main gist of things, even if some more special terminology escapes their understanding.
Well, there's Nayuta pre-machine translation. I actually made significant progress in that, but that is the one Gameplay first Kiseki game, and has nothing to do with the rest anyway.

Top Bottom