• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

I just started Trails in the Sky up again after taking a long break from it. I just got past the Prologue. The game wasn't really clicking with me at first. But now, I can't put it down.

Gu4n

Calming a bit, this is probably a request nobody would be comfortable in replying, sorry. I just needed to vent and has spoiler myself silly about [Cold Steel spoiler]:
the maid called Sharon Kruger
. It is all official-looking, too. Why Falcom, why.
Why would you sneak her into a group shot of Sky Ouroboros
To be honest, I have no idea. The only explanation I can come up with for this composition is
that these Ouroboros members were involved in the Gospel Plan

omgfloofy

Banned
Calming a bit, this is probably a request nobody would be comfortable in replying, sorry. I just needed to vent and has spoiler myself silly about [Cold Steel spoiler]:
the maid called Sharon Kruger
. It is all official-looking, too. Why Falcom, why.
Why would you sneak her into a group shot of Sky Ouroboros

My guess is also because of the context of when the wallpaper was released. It was a secret wallpaper when they were in the process of hyping Sen no Kiseki II, if I recall correctly. If you entered the password from the monthly magazine during the 'hype train,' you got that wallpaper.

Spoilers relevant to the above:
You don't want to go poking around too much with the Ouroboros for cross series stuff- especially because many of them are cross arc now, too. You can look at Bleu Blanc as an example of this, considering Cold Steel. He's not the only one that pops up in another arc, and I'm pretty sure that when we see the Calvard game, we're going to see Walter again. Regardless, I've seen some things that actually show all the Ouroboros members from all three arcs together.

To be honest, I have no idea. The only explanation I can come up with for this composition is
that these Ouroboros members were involved in the Gospel Plan

My guess is also because of the context of when the wallpaper was released. It was a secret wallpaper when they were in the process of hyping Sen no Kiseki II, if I recall correctly. If you entered the password from the monthly magazine during the 'hype train,' you got that wallpaper.

Spoilers relevant to the above:
You don't want to go poking around too much with the Ouroboros for cross series stuff- especially because many of them are cross arc now, too. You can look at Bleu Blanc as an example of this, considering Cold Steel. He's not the only one that pops up in another arc, and I'm pretty sure that when we see the Calvard game, we're going to see Walter again. Regardless, I've seen some things that actually show all the Ouroboros members from all three arcs together.

Yar, I guess I should refrain from browsing Trails media until I've finished Cold Steel II, at least. It's just that my import of Cold Steel just won't arrive and I'm growing restless, wanting to consume any Trails information I can find.

EDIT:
I just realized that both of you actually worked on some of the translations I read. Thank you for those!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm maybe 25 hours into Trails of Cold Steel now. It's the first Kiseki game I've put any real time into, and I absolutely love it. Like, it's becoming top 10 RPG material for me. And the crazy thing is that it just keeps getting better the more that I play it.

There's no way the other games in the series are this good.... right?

Jolkien

I'm maybe 25 hours into Trails of Cold Steel now. It's the first Kiseki game I've put any real time into, and I absolutely love it. Like, it's becoming top 10 RPG material for me. And the crazy thing is that it just keeps getting better the more that I play it.

Haven't played Cold Steel yet, I just finished both Trails in the sky. And they are my favorite jRPG ever. Not joking. Hoping Cold Steel is just as good or better.

Aeana

Well, Cold Steel 1 is my least favorite game in the series, so take that as you will.

Famassu

I can't really choose. As of now, Trails in the Sky SC is the best of the three games I've played, that's perfectly clear, but I'm having a hard time choosing which one is better, Cold Steel or TitS FC.

On one hand, First Chapter has more likable characters from the start whereas Cold Steel relies a bit heavier/longer on anime stereotypes that took longer to become character's you're interested & invested in. On another hand, Cold Steel is vastly superior from a gameplay POV thanks to several QOL improving features & a faster battle system, whereas the dated systems & overall gameplay of the older Trails games make them a bit more of a drag to play, at times.

On yet another hand, Cold Steel does imply some more intriguing storylines earlier on in the story and it IS the sixth game in the series so it does have some more interesting world-building/connecting-to-larger-things stuff earlier in the game whereas TitS FC is the first game in the franchise and takes some time until it really starts to delve deeper into the mythology & world of Trails. Yet I felt that overall First Chapter, once it got going, had a bit better build-up & climax for the most part. Cold Steel didn't feel like it escalated things quite as successfully until a final story dump in the last hour or two, which were admittedly super-duper awesome & more awesome than any single story event in FC, but I still think First Chapter's final few chapters were a bit better paced, told & structured. Put in another way, I felt First Chapter (apart from some SHOCKING TWISTS (tm) (c) near the end) told a better self-contained story while also leaving the overall story of TitS in a very interesting place whereas Cold Steel pretty much ends when things really get going. In FC, shit really hit the fan but the most urgent issues were resolved. In Cold Steel shit hit the fan right at the end and very little is resolved and it leaves things in an even bigger cliffhanger than FCs end-game revelations.

So I dunno... FC is kind of the better paced & written story and the game with better characters, but Cold Steel has some higher highs, has the advantage of being the sixth game in a long-running franchise (so while it has to start with the introduction of a new setting, new characters & new storylines, it also has 5 games worth of world-building to build up from) and is vastly superior gameplay-wise.

^^^ Another soon to be satisfied customer.

I can't really choose. As of now, Trails in the Sky SC is the best of the three games I've played, that's perfectly clear, but I'm having a hard time choosing which one is better, Cold Steel or TitS FC.

On one hand, First Chapter has more likable characters from the start whereas Cold Steel relies a bit heavier/longer on anime stereotypes that took longer to become character's you're interested & invested in. On another hand, Cold Steel is vastly superior from a gameplay POV thanks to several QOL improving features & a faster battle system, whereas the dated systems & overall gameplay of the older Trails games make them a bit more of a drag to play, at times.

On yet another hand, Cold Steel does imply some more intriguing storylines earlier on in the story and it IS the sixth game in the series so it does have some more interesting world-building/connecting-to-larger-things stuff earlier in the game whereas TitS FC is the first game in the franchise and takes some time until it really starts to delve deeper into the mythology & world of Trails. Yet I felt that overall First Chapter, once it got going, had a bit better build-up & climax for the most part. Cold Steel didn't feel like it escalated things quite as successfully until a final story dump in the last hour or two, which were admittedly super-duper awesome & more awesome than any single story event in FC, but I still think First Chapter's final few chapters were a bit better paced, told & structured. Put in another way, I felt First Chapter (apart from some SHOCKING TWISTS (tm) (c) near the end) told a better self-contained story while also leaving the overall story of TitS in a very interesting place whereas Cold Steel pretty much ends when things really get going. In FC, shit really hit the fan but the most urgent issues were resolved. In Cold Steel shit hit the fan right at the end and very little is resolved and it leaves things in an even bigger cliffhanger than FCs end-game revelations.

So I dunno... FC is kind of the better paced & written story and the game with better characters, but Cold Steel has some higher highs, has the advantage of being the sixth game in a long-running franchise (so while it has to start with the introduction of a new setting, new characters & new storylines, it also has 5 games worth of world-building to build up from) and is vastly superior gameplay-wise.

The more I think of FC, outside of a lull during Ch. 2 (ie, the one so many quit during), the more I think that the pacing is excellent. Everything after that is a slowly tightening dash to Thirst-inducing finale.

OK: controversial opinion: Cold Steel's battles are not much more QOL overall than Sky's, as in Sky you could dip away from them with Haze quartz and catch people up way faster, and that form of orbments could make for more customizations.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, Cold Steel 1 is my least favorite game in the series, so take that as you will.

It sounds like I've got a really good year ahead of me, between both Trails in the Sky games and Cold Steel II.

It's kind of remarkable how well these games channel everything that was good about old-school RPGs, without feeling like they're slavishly imitating them.

kubricks

I have completed Sen no Kiseki I/II a few weeks ago and now 25hrs into FC.
I LOVE all the characters in FC in particular Olivier, the world building is amazing if not a bit slow to start.... but.. and I am prepared to be cruxified here... I hate the battle theme (both boss and normal encounter), all of the themes in Sen no Kiseki are just better.

Or does it gets better later on? I am still on Chapter 1 by the way.

Sky series is better than CS1

I'm very keenly looking forward to CS2 however.

Dio

Banned
I have completed Sen no Kiseki I/II a few weeks ago and now 25hrs into FC.
I LOVE the all the characters in FC in particular Olivier, the world building is amazing if not a bit slow to start.... but.. and I am prepared to be cruxified here... I hate the battle theme (both boss and normal encounter), all of the themes in Sen no Kiseki are just better.

Or does it gets better later on? I am still on Chapter 1 by the way.

Nah, I agree with you to a degree.

I much prefer Sen's combat theme.

Here's a rearranged version of FC's 'Sophisticated Fight' that you can mod into the files if you want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKuqzR-iMas

I much prefer this playing as opposed to the default one.

kubricks

Nyoro SF

Sen II should be arriving for me tomorrow.
It's been a while since I played through a game in raw Japanese with this much story.

Anyway, I think FC had the better character development and much tighter story than CS1. However the scale of CS1's story is so much bigger and the number of relevant characters far more numerous. That and it has to tie in its scale with past games and events, quite challenging. It's almost like comparing a light novel with a full novel, makes the comparison a little unfair.

Still, there are quite a few small elements that just drag down CS1 for me to say it was better than FC unfortunately, but that's just my personal view. Whole bunch of "This is so awesome, but..." going on.

cwistofu

Yeah though characters start out relatively weak at first until you start accumulating enough quartz.

Might make the beginning really hard

Is CS1's hard mode anywhere near as ridiculous as Sky SC's? I'm in Chapter 8 of SC right now, and some of the boss fights were RIDICULOUS in hard mode. Like, the very first boss fight BEFORE chapter 1. And a bunch after.

I thought I could handle Hard mode because it was pretty reasonable in FC...but nope.

Nyoro SF

Is CS1's hard mode anywhere near as ridiculous as Sky SC's? I'm in Chapter 8 of SC right now, and some of the boss fights were RIDICULOUS in hard mode. Like, the very first boss fight BEFORE chapter 1. And a bunch after.

I thought I could handle Hard mode because it was pretty reasonable in FC...but nope.

SC originally didn't have Hard and Nightmare from the start. They were added in later to be available from NG. The game isn't balanced for Hard/Nightmare on NG.

I was laughing at a couple of guys in the Steam Community who were struggling through Nightmare NG together lol

Shouta

Sen I is probably in the middle of the pack for me and I really enjoyed it. That's how much more awesome the other games get.

Probably an odd question, but to those who owns the physical PS3 version of US Trails of Cold Steel: does the title on the box's spine use the front cover's typesetting or just some generic font? Basically, is it something like this:
12597_side.jpg

Or this?
69421_side.jpg

Also, does the spine have "The Legend of Heroes" supertitle?

Psxphile

People hating on Sophisticated Fight makes me weep.

It's charming, dammit!

EDIT: to post above me

1) seems to be using the same font as front cover, but not quite as flashy (plain white)
2) not, it does not: just "TRAILS OF COLD STEEL"

*puts case back inside comfy limited edition case*

Dio

Banned
People hating on Sophisticated Fight makes me weep.

It's charming, dammit!

EDIT: to post above me

1) seems to be using the same font as front cover, but not quite as flashy (plain white)
2) not, it does not: just "TRAILS OF COLD STEEL"

*puts case back inside comfy limited edition case*

I don't hate it. In fact, I like it. I just think the Zanmai version is 1000 times better.

Same goes for FC's final dungeon theme - Zanmai is also even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Qy9lCxb2o

And SC's Fate of the Fairies, Zanmai's better too -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYSIFYMbqI8

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss from 3rd, too-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRGmm9ozTMc

Its weird

The way CS1 is setup... youll really only ever have an issue with large monsters and bossfights

And not even every bossfight either. Its a mostly easy game with heavy hitters sprinkled in here and there

SC originally didn't have Hard and Nightmare from the start. They were added in later to be available from NG. The game isn't balanced for Hard/Nightmare on NG.

I was laughing at a couple of guys in the Steam Community who were struggling through Nightmare NG together lol

I usually love to play games on harder difficulties and I found hard mode super tedious in SC (restarted after the prologue final fight). So finding out it wasn't balanced for a first playthrough doesn't surprise me. I can't imagine what it was like to play on nightmare during a first playthrough...

That experience scared me away from playing CS1 on anything above normal. For CS2 I plan to try hard again though, given just how easy certain Master Quartz and Orbment set ups made CS1.

Thud

I've been playing Trails in the Sky FC again this past week. Got really hooked and now I'm in the final chapter again.

Runs so much smoother on my new laptop. I don't know how I managed to get through the prologue with my old one.

I played the PSP version before and I had some mixed feelings about it. So I gave it another try on PC and I'm loving it. With some help from a guide, that max BP + Carnelia Chapter run will be finished soon hehe.

For me this will probably be the year of Trails. I still got SC, CS and CS II to look forward to.

I thought i would post here, mainly asking questions.

As i just got Sen no Kiseki this afternoon, i have to say i love it so far.

I also own FC. However, i cant get into it that much. Not sure why tbh, it hasnt clicked for me yet, probaly because im in the prolouge still.

Questions are,

1. Am i gimping myself by playing Sen over FC/SC first?
2. As i know there are HD versions of the First trilogy on PS3, are there guides so i can 100% if possible. I like collecting JRPG platinums.
3. If yes to the 2nd question, is it easy to do without knowing Japanese? (I plan on learning, but that will take time.

4. Are all the Evolution Titles PSTV compatible, for European ones specifically?

Gu4n

I thought i would post here, mainly asking questions.

As i just got Sen no Kiseki this afternoon, i have to say i love it so far.

I also own FC. However, i cant get into it that much. Not sure why tbh, it hasnt clicked for me yet, probaly because im in the prolouge still.

Questions are,

1. Am i gimping myself by playing Sen over FC/SC first?
2. As i know there are HD versions of the First trilogy on PS3, are there guides so i can 100% if possible. I like collecting JRPG platinums.
3. If yes to the 2nd question, is it easy to do without knowing Japanese? (I plan on learning, but that will take time.

4. Are all the Evolution Titles PSTV compatible, for European ones specifically?
1. No, but the recommended order is FC -> SC -> Sen nonetheless. Although you can play Sen first, Sen happens because of SC which happens because of FC.
2. Yes, there are guides in English (The 3rd can be found here) but no trophies in the PS3 Remasters.
3. Not sure if this question this still applies considering there are no trophies, but collecting 'everything' in FC and The 3rd are fairly doable while SC can get very tricky because of the narrow margin to get the highest bracer rank.
4. All Evolution titles are compatible with European PSTV's.

1. No, but the recommended order is FC -> SC -> Sen nonetheless. Although you can play Sen first, Sen happens because of SC which happens because of FC.
2. Yes, there are guides in English (The 3rd can be found here) but no trophies in the PS3 Remasters.
3. Not sure if this question this still applies considering there are no trophies, but collecting 'everything' in FC and The 3rd are fairly doable while SC can get very tricky because of the narrow margin to get the highest bracer rank.
4. All Evolution titles are compatible with European PSTV's.

Thanks for the quick responce!

Thats a shame about the not having trophies thing, but it isnt a dealbreaker. Il make my own achivements :D

I guess il continue through FC/SC first and then do Sen.

Good to know about the Evolution games as well, since i know Europe PSTV compatability is rubbish compared to US ones. (FFIV:Complete collection, imma looking at you.)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have finished Trails of Cold Steel and now i have a question about Cold Steel 2
does it have a proper ending(with some openings since there's Cold Steel 3) or it also ends with a "continues" like Cold Steel
?

Nyoro SF

Just started Sen 2 yesterday. The new battle theme... damn.

Some bad anime spots, but overall a good start. Also one of the first characters you meet really had me laughing, one of the characters I liked from the first game.

I plan on finishing at least chapter 1 today.

Shouta

I have finished Trails of Cold Steel and now i have a question about Cold Steel 2
does it have a proper ending(with some openings since there's Cold Steel 3) or it also ends with a "continues" like Cold Steel
?

Yes.
There's a proper ending but, as you know,Sen III/CS3 got announced so there's a lot left for them to explore.

Peff

Speaking of Sen II, does it have a custom UI for the Vita version or does it still feel like a ridiculously elaborate optician test? Having only just found out about it with the Euro release of the first game I couldn't help but laugh at the thing. Luckily you get used to it relatively fast.

Jolkien

Quick question about Trails of Cold Steel
Is Septh Mass only use to be converted to Mira or should I keep those ?

Edit: Nevermind I played like two minutes after my question and the game told me their only purpose is to exchange for money.

Erheller

Quick question about Trails of Cold Steel
Is Septh Mass only use to be converted to Mira or should I keep those ?

Edit: Nevermind I played like two minutes after my question and the game told me their only purpose is to exchange for money.

I was hoping that the sepith to mira exchange rate would increase over the game like in FC/SC, but it didn't :(

Famassu

I was hoping that the sepith to mira exchange rate would increase over the game like in FC/SC, but it didn't :(
The thing is, you don't really have to buy all that many quartz in Cold Steel, so there's not much need for sepith once you open up all slots if you make varied character builds because you get almost everything you need from treasure chests. So you should get used to the idea that it's usually not the end of the world to sell a little bit of sepith, especially if you're just missing a few hundred mira from some equipment you want. You can also get some extra money by selling old quartz you will never use (i.e. you really don't do much with earlier Attack quartz once you get better ones. unless you really want to make Laura even more ridiculously over-powered than she already is). The only time you might need to spend sepith to buying quartz is if you want more than 1-2 characters to have certain skills/stat boosts at the same time. The only things I ever needed to spend sepith on, apart from slot unlocks, were pretty much Cast/Action, the best Attack quartz & Evade, I think.

It also helps to let go of the notion that you just absolutely HAVE to have the latest & greatest equipment for everyone as soon as new equipment becomes available, at least not on Normal. 2-3 weapons & some better defensive equipment for 2-3 characters goes a long way to getting you through the game perfectly fine. Unless you're playing on a harder difficulty level, then you might have to grind for mira so that everyone has all the best equipment ASAP.

Erheller

The thing is, you don't really have to buy all that many quartz in Cold Steel, so there's not much need for sepith once you open up all slots if you make varied character builds because you get almost everything you need from treasure chests. So you should get used to the idea that it's usually not the end of the world to sell a little bit of sepith, especially if you're just missing a few hundred mira from some equipment you want. You can also get some extra money by selling old quartz you will never use (i.e. you really don't do much with earlier Attack quartz once you get better ones. unless you really want to make Laura even more ridiculously over-powered than she already is). The only time you might need to spend sepith to buying quartz is if you want more than 1-2 characters to have certain skills/stat boosts at the same time. The only things I ever needed to spend sepith on, apart from slot unlocks, were pretty much Cast/Action, the best Attack quartz & Evade, I think.

It also helps to let go of the notion that you just absolutely HAVE to have the latest & greatest equipment for everyone as soon as new equipment becomes available, at least not on Normal. 2-3 weapons & some better defensive equipment for 2-3 characters goes a long way to getting you through the game perfectly fine. Unless you're playing on a harder difficulty level, then you might have to grind for mira so that everyone has all the best equipment ASAP.

I agree, it wasn't necessary at all. CS is a really easy game, even without the best equipment money can buy. The game gives you a lot of really nice quartz in chests. It just felt a little weird that a mechanic that was in FC/SC didn't return at all. It's nothing I'm complaining about, just something odd that I noticed.

Psxphile

You can also get some extra money by selling old quartz you will never use (i.e. you really don't do much with earlier Attack quartz once you get better ones. unless you really want to make Laura even more ridiculously over-powered than she already is).

Pretty sure you can trade in multiple weak quartz at pawn shops for better ones.

Nyoro SF

After the first chapter of Sen I realized that the equipment the game allows you to buy is just an insurance, you really don't need to upgrade armor or weapons unless the additional STR/DEF exceeds 60 or so.

Anyway I'm in Chapter 2 of Sen II so far. Lots of QOL and animation improvements.
Shoot the god damn bird Toval why do you have a slingshot if you're just gonna let this pigeon swan song all over your asses

Famassu

Pretty sure you can trade in multiple weak quartz at pawn shops for better ones.
You can but with the way the game throws awesome quartz at you from every second treasure chest (especially later on in the game), there's really no need for it. Maybe on Hard if you need to have the absolute best quartz & equipment, but on Normal I never set foot in a pawn shop, apart from quest related things.

Thud

Finished Trails in the Sky FC, that was done brilliantly. Any doubts I had from my previous playthrough are gone.

After a short break, I'll definitely play SC.

cwistofu

In Trails SC, who's the better spellcaster--Olivier or Kloe?

Olivier's description in the party select menu makes him sound like a better magic-user, but
Kloe's was wrecking faces a lot more in Ch7 with that one armor that gives +100 ATS
. Is there a male equivalent?

I know
Oliver leaves out of nowhere in CH8, but I'm just asking out of curiosity

Top Bottom