• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Both, though I'm not sure about your number of Divine Blades. Don't remember if it has ever been mentioned how many there are. It's an honorary name given to someone who masters one of the Eight Leaves school's forms or whatever

This. Indeed, we don't know how many
Divine Blades
there are in total, but seven games in we have met
only two
so far.

Aa I see. I got the impression of [mini Sky FC/Cold Steel]
"Cassius is an S-Rank Bracer, and that's why he's named Divine Blade," I don't know why. I assume that the Divine Blade of the Wind. Then is Cassius's title actually supposed to be "Divine Blade somethingsomething" too?

Psxphile

You weren't the only one, Mister McDee. Until I played Cold Steel I thought Cassius' Bracer nick was earned by being exemplary in his work. The narrative really made it seem that way... is it possible
it was retconned when they went into detail about his Eight-Leaves training?

Bebpo

Banned
Watched the Trails in the Sky SC anime. That was...not as bad as I expected based on the ugly character art. Not good either, but ok as Kiseki fanservice and some of the action scenes looked nice. Otherwise was a bit boring. Needed more Zane. Was nice hearing some of the music again.

I'm kind of surprised with the popularity of the series that none of the anime studios licensed one of the chapters to make a full anime TV show out of. Making the Crossbell story into an anime might be the quickest way to get Crossbell's story localized for English players playing Cold Steel :p

Watched the Trails in the Sky SC anime. That was...not as bad as I expected based on the ugly character art. Not good either, but ok as Kiseki fanservice and some of the action scenes looked nice. Otherwise was a bit boring. Needed more Zane. Was nice hearing some of the music again.

I'm kind of surprised with the popularity of the series that none of the anime studios licensed one of the chapters to make a full anime TV show out of. Making the Crossbell story into an anime might be the quickest way to get Crossbell's story localized for English players playing Cold Steel :p

What parts of SC does it cover?

Edit: I just noticed Zero no Kiseki Evo doesn't seem to be giving me EXP bonuses? I got a 1.20 bonus from 2 enemies giving 12 exp and 1 giving 9 ... and got 33. Exactly what I would have gotten if it was 1.0. Huh?

Basically its first half. After that, it spins off into something else.

The best thing about the OVA in my opinion is that you finally get to see how a Tactical Orbments is used.

Sounds boring lol. I know people in this thread have been talking about how Sen no Kiseki II had to be drawn out to make up for the fact that it was originally supposed to be the end to the original, but the first half of SC always struck me as the biggest waste of time. The
tests
angle wasn't all that compelling for me. The second half of the game, on the other hand ...

Mozendo

Will I like Zero if I found SC too "anime-y"at times?
Also has there been any news of the Zero no Kiseki translation since the drama?

Gu4n

Edit: I just noticed Zero no Kiseki Evo doesn't seem to be giving me EXP bonuses? I got a 1.20 bonus from 2 enemies giving 12 exp and 1 giving 9 ... and got 33. Exactly what I would have gotten if it was 1.0. Huh?
Allow me to look into that when I get home and have access to my Vita.

Sounds boring lol. I know people in this thread have been talking about how Sen no Kiseki II had to be drawn out to make up for the fact that it was originally supposed to be the end to the original, but the first half of SC always struck me as the biggest waste of time. The
tests
angle wasn't all that compelling for me. The second half of the game, on the other hand ...
I'm trying to replay SC (Evo) right now, but I barely made it through Chapter 1 and now Chapter 2 is so much a drag, I consider just skipping the game altogether and continue into The 3rd Evo once that's out.

I don't know what "too anime-y" means, but I found the Crossbell arc to be dealing with mature topics more often than the Liberl arc did. FC and even SC are more light-hearted in comparison to those two games.

The (translation, I assume, of the) fan translation is close to being finished -- two weeks back they reported their progress as of 92%.

Mozendo

I don't know what "too anime-y" means, but I found the Crossbell arc to be dealing with mature topics more often than the Liberl arc did. FC and even SC are more light-hearted in comparison to those two games.

The (translation, I assume, of the) fan translation is close to being finished -- two weeks back they reported their progress as of 92%.

Oh I guess I should have explained it
So I love FC it's because it doesn't really have that Japanese RPG cheesyness. For example the part that sticks out to me the most is when
Joshua describes Weissman as a traveling magician instead saying he's some high ranking member of some super secret criminal organization

SC to me didn't really feel that satisfying, at least not when it comes to the main story, while the pacing was better
First thing that comes to mind are the enforcers, they had opportunities to kill Estelle and Co but never did even though Bleublanc said enforcers weren't forced to follow orders
The fight between Zane and Walter was pretty dumb, the game buillding hype between this fight and suggesting that someone would die, but Zane won despite Walter being better than him and he didn't end up killing him
Then there's just little things that bother me like for example Bleublanc's artifact was only shown once, I don't think it was explained what Loewe's or Weissman's artifacts did or how he got the ability to toy with people's memories
I guess anime-y was a wrong word to use.
Could be possible that I missed a few pieces of info since I sorta rushed the final chapter.

Oh and that's nice to know that Zero deals with more mature subjects, was wondering if I'd enjoy other entries in the franchise since I've been told Cold Steel and it's sequel are weaker than SC.

Aters

Zero is amazing. The Crossbell games are on another level compared to the other Trails of games IMO. Definitely worth trying out. The relatively small scale is a bless in disguise.

Bebpo

Banned
Oh I guess I should have explained it
So I love FC it's because it doesn't really have that Japanese RPG cheesyness. For example the part that sticks out to me the most is when
Joshua describes Weissman as a traveling magician instead saying he's some high ranking member of some super secret criminal organization

SC to me didn't really feel that satisfying, at least not when it comes to the main story, while the pacing was better
First thing that comes to mind are the enforcers, they had opportunities but never did even though Bleublanc said enforcers weren't forced to follow orders
The fight between Zane and Walter was pretty dumb, the game buillding hype between this fight and suggesting that someone would die, but Zane won despite Walter being better than him and he didn't end up killing him
Then there's just little things that bother me like for example Bleublanc's artifact was only shown once, I don't think it was explained what Loewe's or Weissman's artifacts did or how he got the ability to toy with people's memories
I guess anime-y was a wrong word to use.
Could be possible that I missed a few pieces of info since I sorta rushed the final chapter.

Oh and that's nice to know that Zero deals with more mature subjects, was wondering if I'd enjoy other entries in the franchise since I've been told Cold Steel and it's sequel are weaker than SC.

Some of your SC questions will be answered in later games. That's the nature of possibly a 12-18 game storyline, the interesting questions are gonna remain a mystery until near the endgame.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow, that fight with
Loewe
at the end of SC was one of the toughest RPG fights I've ever had... thankfully I had a reserve of Zeram Capsules stocked up, which helped out tremendously. But yeah that was a balls-to-the-wall battle, even the fights with the other enforcers were tough but nothing on this level. Up to the final boss now, hopefully this is a bit easier...

Bebpo

Banned
Wow, that fight with
Loewe
at the end of SC was one of the toughest RPG fights I've ever had... thankfully I had a reserve of Zeram Capsules stocked up, which helped out tremendously. But yeah that was a balls-to-the-wall battle, even the fights with the other enforcers were tough but nothing on this level. Up to the final boss now, hopefully this is a bit easier...

The super hard fights are all winnable with the right strategy, but yeah one of my issues with the Kiseki franchise as a whole is the difficulty balance is a mess. You'll have nothing but super easy brain dead game and then suddenly a boss instant killing your entire party difficulty spike, then super easy, then ridiculous hard spike. It always feels like balance is an afterthought in these games.

So I was watching a recording of a stream of someone playing SC and one of the viewers mentioned a tidbit that I had missed.
Karin, Joshua's sister, was the name he chose for himself back in FC when he and Estelle disguised themselves as maids to see the Queen.

Psxphile

So I was watching a recording of a stream of someone playing SC and one of the viewers mentioned a tidbit that I had missed.
Karin, Joshua's sister, was the name he chose for himself back in FC when he and Estelle disguised themselves as maids to see the Queen.

FUCK

i mean they don't name-drop until hours deep into the sequel so it's an easy detail to miss but

FUCK

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
GIF-whoa-what-Wee-Bey-Brice-The-Wire-GIF.gif

Thoraxes

CS2 question:

Do we get more backstory on
Claire Rieveldt
in CS2? In SC, during the
Luciola-induced dream-sequence
section, it's mentioned that the name
Rieveldt is on Joshua's hamornica.

Since he's from Erebonia and all, does that mean her family owns some stuff?

Gu4n

CS2 question:

Claire Rieveldt

Yes. And props for staying on top of this stuff. :)

Nyoro SF

CS2 question:

Claire Rieveldt

Nice catches. Falcom is insane. I wish I was a bit more perceptive to catch details like that.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
How bad of an idea would it be to play through Zero/Ao before 3rd? I've been running through Sora FC/SC as the evo versions release, but we're still 2 months out from 3rd evo and I don't have anything rpg-wise lined up between now and then.

Bebpo

Banned
How bad of an idea would it be to play through Zero/Ao before 3rd? I've been running through Sora FC/SC as the evo versions release, but we're still 2 months out from 3rd evo and I don't have anything rpg-wise lined up between now and then.

Hmmm, at first I was writing it wasn't a big deal. But now that I think about it, 3rd introduces one new major character that has a sizeable role in Crossbell, it furthers
Estelle/Joshua/Ren's story
before even more development in Crossbell, it introduces some interesting world lore that plays into Crossbell and it has one or two more developments that pay off in Crossbell.

I think ideally, you should try to play 3rd first. But otoh, I think it wouldn't be a huge loss if you played Zero -> 3rd -> Ao. And it wouldn't be the end of the world but you'd lose some enjoyment if you went Zero -> Ao - > 3rd.

But at least it's not like going Sen -> Crossbell where Sen 1/2 completely spoils the main plotline of Ao.

Thud

I'm not surprised people forgot about it. There was an amount of time between both games :p.

I noticed it because I basically played SC right after a FC replay.

EVOMindBlown

Gu4n

Since I don't think it's up to me to judge other peoples ideas, I'll let you decide for yourself. Virtually everything we know about the Septian Church's Congregation for the Sacraments comes from The 3rd. Apart from that, there is one plot line that is started in SC, gets thoroughly addressed in The 3rd and (largely) resolved in Zero.

If you play Zero not further than its second chapter, though, you should be fine. So take it slow and enjoy Crossbell, I'd say!

Err...

Could someone summarize what is going on? I'm reading about "drama" and "fan translations".

All I know is that the first two games are on Steam, and they announced the 3rd for sometime next year?

So, anything else happened beside that?

Famassu

Err...

Could someone summarize what is going on? I'm reading about "drama" and "fan translations".

All I know is that the first two games are on Steam, and they announced the 3rd for sometime next year?

So, anything else happened beside that?
Trails of Cold Steel II's translation, editing & VA recording are all done. Mostly QA remains. That's some good news in regards to this franchise's western situation recently. And yes, TitS The 3rd was announced to get a western release sometime in Spring 2017

As far as "drama" goes, there's a group currently fan translating Trails to Zero (the game that comes after Trails in the Sky The 3rd) and they've been somewhat pathetic, overly dramatic & even hostile whiners in regards to some completely silly stuff towards XSeed and them using fan translations in the past, which is something some people involved with those past projects & the Zero fan translation didn't like. Not sure if that's the drama you mean, but that happened...

Rather, that project's leader, Zeromonkey, is known to loathe XSEED and sides more closely with NightWolve when discussing how XSEED used fan translations back around 2010, all while poorly editing the Falcom games he's worked on so far. The Heroes of Legend people other than him are moderate by comparison (and more talented in ways that matter, namely PC-98 translation-hacking), and who knows what the translators think. Please do not paint everyone Zeromonkey's collaborated with as one of the same mind.

Nyoro SF

Thud

I'm not gonna taint myself with that.

I'll either wait for localisation or play it in the original language. It's too easy to mess it up.

Young Magus

I'm not going to hold my breath if the project still has the same badly written English as before. Truly a disappointment if a story-heavy and personality-heavy game can't be written with care.

Is that what exactly happened with the gagharv trilogy?

... and it's only at this point that ZeroG is wanting to recruit a series-savvy consultant...
http://www.heroesoflegend.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=258&p=2247#p2247

I don't have enough hands to facepalm with. This is looking so bad.

Yeesh.......
I might be in it for the fuckery as this rate, a consultant shoulda been day zero involved in the project

kubricks

The super hard fights are all winnable with the right strategy, but yeah one of my issues with the Kiseki franchise as a hole is the difficulty balance is a mess. You'll have nothing but super easy brain dead game and then suddenly a boss instant killing your entire party difficulty spike, then super easy, then ridiculous hard spike. It always feels like balance is an afterthought in these games.

It's more like the difficult battle really depends on RNG sometimes?
The first time I fight him (on normal) I survived his first round onslaught, then I managed to put up the first Earth Wall and heal, after that it's just a matter of grinding him to death. After I beat the game I reload and fight him again out of curiosity and this time he managed to get a critial hit and killed off one of my party member, then when I lose a turn for reviving he used his best technique and finished me in 3~4 rounds.

If all else fail you still have Kevin, and you learn how to deal with him with your previous experience with Renne.

I could imagine though if you don't spam Earth Wall the battle will be a lot harder....

UberTag

But at least it's not like going Sen -> Crossbell where Sen 1/2 completely spoils the main plotline of Ao.
Now you're making me question my decision to hop into Cold Steel immediately following my SC playthrough.

Maybe I should just table my playthrough for a bit. I've only knocked out the Prologue.

Now you're making me question my decision to hop into Cold Steel immediately following my SC playthrough.

Maybe I should just table my playthrough for a bit. I've only knocked out the Prologue.

Well playing the Crossbell games and going into CS also spolit some of twist of CS lol. Also I am sure the prologue of already spolit some of Crossbell story too.

UberTag

Well playing the Crossbell games and going into CS also spolit some of twist of CS lol. Also I am sure the prologue of already spolit some of Crossbell story too.
It loosely references the Crossbell conflict but seems to not spoil much given the absence of context. So I remain suitably in the dark.

Aters

It loosely references the Crossbell conflict but seems to not spoil much given the absence of context. So I remain suitably in the dark.

The two story happen around the same time so no matter which you play first, you will always get something spoiled. Plus by the time Ao is released you'll probably forget what happened in SC/SC2.

edit: I mean CS/CS2

The two story happen around the same time so no matter which you play first, you will always get something spoiled. Plus by the time Ao is released you'll probably forget what happened in SC/SC2.
I delayed (Waited for the English version) playing SC after AO and I still remember most of the important plot points lol. Wait, is this a joke that Ao will takes ages to get a English release?

Gu4n

I delayed (Waited for the English version) playing SC after AO and I still remember most of the important plot points lol. Wait, is this a joke that Ao will takes ages to get a English release?
He means CS/CS2.

Anyway, like he correctly pointed out, though, it doesn't matter since you'll learn about what happens in each nation's neighbouring country anyway. The only risk of playing CS immediately after Ao is that the latter raises the bar so high that CS feels like a drag.

Top Bottom