• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Famassu

Yeah, I don't understand the complaints either. My vision is far from perfect and even then I had no trouble reading any of the text in the game (Vita version). The ones that do have problems must have hyperopia or something?

Paches

Only played Trails in the Sky on Steam just a month ago and beat it, thought it was really fun. Picked up Trails of Cold Steel on the sale for Vita. Is it more of the same or any difference in gameplay?

Nyoro SF

Only played Trails in the Sky on Steam just a month ago and beat it, thought it was really fun. Picked up Trails of Cold Steel on the sale for Vita. Is it more of the same or any difference in gameplay?

Did you play SC? If so, you're good to go for Cold Steel.

If not, I'm not sure how, given the MASSIVE sequel hook on FC, but I've seen crazier stuff in Kiseki threads

Famassu

Structure & the base of the game is pretty similar (you go through the game chapter by chapter, each chapter taking you to a new location where you help people out with their requests & as you play along some shit happens, battles are turn-based with similar mechanics as in the Sky games), but it makes some changes to some gameplay features (the orbment system is simpler), adds some Persona-ish social link stuff (though not all that well integrated into the game), adds a school that you spend time in in every chapter, and makes some quality-of-life improvements (you can skip attacks, fast forward through cutscenes & such)

preta

The orbment system is simplified somewhat (arts are tied 1:1 to quartz now), but the battle system is faster and more complex. There's also a bonding system similar to social links from Persona. Other than that, the gameplay's not all that different.

Seeing as you played FC, though, I don't know why you wouldn't go straight to SC afterwards, considering the ending. Playing CS before SC would also spoil a fairly major plot twist.

Shouta

So Akatsuki no Kiseki, despite being a gacha game, has a ton of story like a standard Kiseki game, lol. It's actually kinda crazy that there's this much setup of the characters and the organizations. Lost of cameos from other chars from Trails too and some of the early story happens in Liberl too.

Paches

Did you play SC? If so, you're good to go for Cold Steel.

If not, I'm not sure how, given the MASSIVE sequel hook on FC, but I've seen crazier stuff in Kiseki threads

The orbment system is simplified somewhat (arts are tied 1:1 to quartz now), but the battle system is faster and more complex. There's also a bonding system similar to social links from Persona. Other than that, the gameplay's not all that different.

Seeing as you played FC, though, I don't know why you wouldn't go straight to SC afterwards, considering the ending. Playing CS before SC would also spoil a fairly major plot twist.

Oh, I assumed they were all different sets of stories and I could play SC later. I decided to pick up FC to fill some time until Deus Ex came out (had a game drought for myself and felt like a JRPG), so I beat it and then went straight in to Deus Ex. Now that I am done with that, I guess I should play SC first.

If I switch platforms to Vita for SC, what do I lose from my first game file on Steam? I read that things transfer from one game to the next, but what exactly do I miss out on?

Structure & the base of the game is pretty similar (you go through the game chapter by chapter, each chapter taking you to a new location where you help people out with their requests & as you play along some shit happens, battles are turn-based with similar mechanics as in the Sky games), but it makes some changes to some gameplay features (the orbment system is simpler), adds some Persona-ish social link stuff (though not all that well integrated into the game), adds a school that you spend time in in every chapter, and makes some quality-of-life improvements (you can skip attacks, fast forward through cutscenes & such)

Ah, ok, neat! Thanks for the info.

Hoo boy, you should definitely play Trails in the Sky SC next. It's a direct sequel to FC! it picks up hours after FC ends.

But Cold Steel 1 is $20 on PSN right now, so you might want to buy it now anyway.

Paches

Hoo boy, you should definitely play Trails in the Sky SC next. It's a direct sequel to FC! it picks up hours after FC ends.

But Cold Steel 1 is $20 on PSN right now, so you might want to buy it now anyway.

I edited in my question, so may not have caught it but...

If I switch platforms to Vita for SC, what do I lose from my first game file on Steam? I read that things transfer from one game to the next, but what exactly do I miss out on?

Some folks here can get more specific than this, but you'll miss a few items and sepith. You'll also miss certain townsfolk recognizing you from sidequests you completed in FC.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Estelle's level if it is within a certain range, some bonus items based on your BP, and some dialogue changes based on whether or not you did some quests.

Paches

Alright, decided to pick up SC on Steam then, the trophies and Vita-ness isn't terribly important to me. Thanks for the help.

Famassu

There is (or at least was) a FC clear data save file in the OP of the Trails in the Sky SC OT with ~100% completion. If you want a little bit of extra stuff in the beginning, just download that and copy it into the correct directory to get the little bit of extra stuff at the start.

Thud

Alright, decided to pick up SC on Steam then, the trophies and Vita-ness isn't terribly important to me. Thanks for the help.

SC is a psp game, so there aren't trophies.

I'm guessing you confused it with Cold Steel which is a Vita/PS3 game.

Next year the 3rd will also be on steam, so it works to your advantage.

Paches

SC is a psp game, so there aren't trophies.

I'm guessing you confused it with Cold Steel which is a Vita/PS3 game.

Next year the 3rd will also be on steam, so it works to your advantage.

Ah, ok, cements my decision even more. Just saw it available in the PS Store so I figured it had them.

preta

Just FYI, the series order goes like this:

Trails in the Sky FC

Trails in the Sky SC (direct sequel to FC)

Trails in the Sky the 3rd (bridges the Sky and Zero/Ao arcs)

Zero no Kiseki/Trails to Zero (takes place in another country with a different cast, a few years after the Sky arc)

Ao no Kiseki/Trails to Azure (direct sequel to Zero)

Trails of Cold Steel (takes place concurrently with Zero and Ao in another country with a different cast)

Trails of Cold Steel II (direct sequel to Trails of Cold Steel)

Trails of Cold Steel III (not yet released and we know next to nothing about it)

It's highly recommended to play the series in order as much as possible. 3rd will be released in English next spring, but we don't know if there are any plans to localize Zero and Ao. For now, the best you can do is play the localized games in the order of FC > SC > CS > CS2.

Exentryk

Why aren't the CS games on GOG/Steam too, considering the Sky games are on those platforms? Are they still working on them or something?

Cqef

Why aren't the CS games on GOG/Steam too, considering the Sky games are on those platforms? Are they still working on them or something?

The Cold Steel games have yet to be ported to the PC. The Trails in the Sky games were originally released for PC.

CSX

CS games are on PS3/vita. The Sky games were originally on PC before being ported to PSP.

Xseed already had PC versions to localize with the Sky games. I don't think they are planning to spend resources to do their own ports for CS series

Nyoro SF

Well.. it would not be a small investment to get those games on the platform, and I don't know if that investment would work out.

The only people that would know the answer to that is XSEED really.

EDIT: Oh you are asking more in a general sense. Sky games are PC-original games. Steel games are PS3/Vita-original games. XSEED only works off the source of the product they are given.

I just finished SC last night and man I am in love with the series now. I also beat Ys Origins, Oath, and Chronicles this year on PC so in general I'm becoming a Falcom fan!

CS games are on PS3/vita. The Sky games were originally on PC before being ported to PSP.

Xseed already had PC versions to localize with the Sky games. I don't think they are planning to spend resources to do their own ports for CS series
I'm not gonna hold my breath but I could honestly see PC ports of those in the future. But in all honesty I do hope they do a Zero no Kiseki port after the 3rd, since it does have a PC version.

Bebpo

Banned
So Akatsuki no Kiseki, despite being a gacha game, has a ton of story like a standard Kiseki game, lol. It's actually kinda crazy that there's this much setup of the characters and the organizations. Lost of cameos from other chars from Trails too and some of the early story happens in Liberl too.

Can you play this from the USA without VPN?

Shouta

Oh, wow. What about the money stuff. I'm assuming it's P2W grind after a certain point. Can you purchase whatever you need from the USA?

Will definitely play this after I finish Berseria and P5.

They gave you a bunch of options it seems. I haven't bothered trying because it seems like you don't really need it right now. Lots of currency and lots of ways to summon currently. They're also giving a bunch of units away right now since they just started service. Login 3 days and you get a 4-star Lloyd (which I assume you can go to 5-star, the max currently). 8 days is Ellie. You can do a bunch of prologue battle challenges to get a 4-star Schera too.

Not much going on in the story but they're doing a good job of setting up Nacht and Chloe so far.

desmax

A "high quality picture" (At least compared to some I've seen) of Rean in Cold Steel III
CrP6CV2UkAEg3uA.jpg

From Falcom Twitter: https://twitter.com/nihonfalcom/status/771235488367644672

Some Nobody

Is there anything I need to know if I want to jump into the series with Cold Steel 1? I'm jonesing for a video game, I've heard great things AND there's a sale.

With FF XV pushed back I'm thinking I might not even get it until a Complete Edition releases (ROTTR + Watch Dogs 2 will carry me into next year, and after that it's like Horizon, Berseria and a bunch of other games), this is the only thing I can think of that feels like it'd be worth the money. So how hard is it to dive right in? I've only played a LITTLE of FC and that's pretty much it.

Famassu

There won't be anything too essential you won't understand (at least on the surface level) not having played the earlier games in the franchise. There are references to past events and some characters/names pop up that won't hold any significance to you if you haven't played earlier games, but they aren't absolutely vital to understanding the actual story of Cold Steel, which has a completely new location starring completely new characters who also do not have all that much prior knowledge of the past game's events (so they don't talk about the story of earlier games in a way that they expect you to know that stuff either). All the references just somewhat enrich the story..

That said, since you already have FC, I'd really suggest you somehow experience the story of it. Either play through it or if you don't have the patience to play it, read through the text & image based let's plays of Trails in the Sky FC & SC (it's a surprisingly decent read & way to experience the story) that I posted earlier in this thread (within the last page or two, I think).

BluWacky

Is there anything I need to know if I want to jump into the series with Cold Steel 1? I'm jonesing for a video game, I've heard great things AND there's a sale.

You don't need anything at all. I was in exactly the same boat as you (and still am, really, I still haven't finished FC!) and had absolutely no difficulties getting into Cold Steel 1 and having a very good time with it.

There are lots of references to characters and events from the other games, but it doesn't matter - the game plays very well independently, and everything gets explained for us newbies anyway.

omgfloofy

Banned
I'm not sure if Sen III will be at TGS. Falcom, earlier this year, said they wouldn't have a presence at the event- though we know that there are a few things changing with that.

I think if anything happens before the shareholder event in December (Falcom's going to push this as long as they can, because let's face it. The Sen III thirst is real. AND THEY KNOW IT.) --it'll happen at the Sony event the weekend after Tokyo Xanadu eX+ is released.

I have no clue if they intend to have a presence at that Sony event, but watch their twitter. If they start advertising that Sony event, then use that as your 'canary in the coal mine' as being a sure fire thing.

Some Nobody

There won't be anything too essential you won't understand (at least on the surface level) not having played the earlier games in the franchise. There are references to past events and some characters/names pop up that won't hold any significance to you if you haven't played earlier games, but they aren't absolutely vital to understanding the actual story of Cold Steel, which has a completely new location starring completely new characters who also do not have all that much prior knowledge of the past game's events (so they don't talk about the story of earlier games in a way that they expect you to know that stuff either). All the references just somewhat enrich the story..

That said, since you already have FC, I'd really suggest you somehow experience the story of it. Either play through it or if you don't have the patience to play it, read through the text & image based let's plays of Trails in the Sky FC & SC (it's a surprisingly decent read & way to experience the story) that I posted earlier in this thread (within the last page or two, I think).

Had, lol. Sold my PSP for cash years back and Trails went with it. So those links are useful, thanks! :D

Bebpo

Banned
Trying...so...hard...to...make...it...through...Akatsuki...Loading....

Are all browsers games like this? It's worse loading than bad PS1 jrpgs.

Gu4n

Trying...so...hard...to...make...it...through...Akatsuki...Loading....

Are all browsers games like this? It's worse loading than bad PS1 jrpgs.
The 'loading' in this case is downloading assets to play the game with. The more files have been cached, the shorter the 'loading' times get. The first one is pretty bad, but understandable considering the amount it's downloading from a Japanese server.

Bebpo

Banned
How long until you get to Lemeferia? Don't really care about any of the other places because of the timeline, whereas Lemeferia is a country the mainline games will probably never get to at this rate, so exploring that country and learning more about it is the main reason why I'd want to place Akatsuki.

3d graphics and attack animations are pretty decent though. But visual novel for story telling is a bit weird coming from the other Kiseki games and no 3d town to explore.

Gu4n

How long until you get to Lemeferia? Don't really care about any of the other places because of the timeline, whereas Lemeferia is a country the mainline games will probably never get to at this rate, so exploring that country and learning more about it is the main reason why I'd want to place Akatsuki.

3d graphics and attack animations are pretty decent though. But visual novel for story telling is a bit weird coming from the other Kiseki games and no 3d town to explore.
You won't visit Remiferia before chapter 5; people who've played until chapter 4 haven't been to Remiferia yet.

He looks like he's in his mid to late 20s. Which could mean that Sara will been upgraded to Christmas Cake status. :p
A 1.5-2 year timeskip from the end of Cold Steel 1 isn't unrealistic in this case, which still makes him 19/20.

omgfloofy

Banned
This is somehow very exciting for me.

But then ...

When does III take place?

We have no clue yet. I think Guan's estimation is 1.5'ish years after Sen II, which would line up well with other things.

Sen II and Ao no Kiseki spoilers:
Because Ao no Kiseki shows us that it takes two years to liberate Crossbell from Erebonia.

Bebpo

Banned
Akatsuki seems ok, probably about as good as you can get from a browser game. So outside of the gatcha recruitable characters, is this canon, because in the beginning stuff I don't see any reason why it couldn't be a canon side story of a couple new Bracers hanging out in Crossbell after Zero and before Ao.

No idea if I'll stick with it beyond a couple of days. I'm already skipping most of the dialogue because I don't really care about "let's hang out with all our crossbell friends" and just want to get to the meat of the story.

Thud

Thought so, TY.

It's not flagged as a PSP game on the PSN store listing...

SC is only available digital for PSP/Vita.

If steam or gog is not an option for you, this will do fine. Do note that SC stands for Second Chapter and it should be played after Trails in the Sky First Chapter (FC).

It's basically one story split into two games.

Cornbread78

SC is only available digital for PSP/Vita.

If steam or gog is not an option for you, this will do fine. Do note that SC stands for Second Chapter and it should be played after Trails in the Sky First Chapter (FC).

It's basically one story split into two games.

Oh got ya; TY. I'm pretty sure they are both on the store, I just hate how PSN marks some games as PSP games and others they do not mark at all, so you can't really tell if they are native Vita games, or the PSP ports...

zakujanai

351.png

_

A Korean twitter user compared Rean's design to his previous two designs, which clearly indicates he looks older and taller.

CrQIlkwVIAEsLRR.jpg

It really worries me how much that coat looks like Toval's. I was trying not to look too closely just in case but having looked it does actually look different. I really hope it's different.

Edit: to be clear, I don't mind him styling himself like Toval, it's the reason why that's made me paranoid.

Top Bottom