• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

It really worries me how much that coat looks like Toval's. I was trying not to look too closely just in case but having looked it does actually look different. I really hope it's different.

Edit: to be clear, I don't mind him styling himself like Toval, it's the reason why that's made me paranoid.

I don't think there's anything to worry about. The only similarity that long coat has with Toval's is the fact that both are indeed long coats.

Gu4n

It really worries me how much that coat looks like Toval's. I was trying not to look too closely just in case but having looked it does actually look different. I really hope it's different.

Edit: to be clear, I don't mind him styling himself like Toval, it's the reason why that's made me paranoid.
There is a reason he is wearing a white coat and it isn't Toval.

zakujanai

I don't think there's anything to worry about. The only similarity that long coat has with Toval's is the fact that both are indeed long coats.

White with blue styling, rolled up cuffs, turned up collar, loose belt hanging free. You're right though, there are as many differences as similarities.

There is a reason he is wearing a white coat and it isn't Toval.

New career as a Doctor? Good to know it's not spoiled anything though, thanks.

Is it November yet?

Stacked99

Banned
Stumbled across these games by reading a kotaku article on struggles through localization and decided to support it... and i am so glad that i did. Recently beat FC not sure i've ever experienced an ending like that and now I am 3 chapters in to SC and loving it even more! This trilogy is easily in my top rgps. Just glad to join the community and will be posting more.

Side note: From everything i've seen, I am assuming no way that third chapter will make its way to Vita?

Stumbled across these games by reading a kotaku article on struggles through localization and decided to support it... and i am so glad that i did. Recently beat FC not sure i've ever experienced an ending like that and now I am 3 chapters in to SC and loving it even more! This trilogy is easily in my top rgps. Just glad to join the community and will be posting more.

Side note: From everything i've seen, I am assuming no way that third chapter will make its way to Vita?

Correct. PC only for the Third in the west. Releasing the PSP version just doesn't make any sort of financial sense at this point in time.

Gu4n

Zero chance. Expecting a company to release a PSP game in 2017 is simply unrealistic and it's miraculous enough XSEED released two PSP games even in 2015.

Psxphile

New career as a Doctor? Good to know it's not spoiled anything though, thanks.

He did briefly entertain the notion of becoming a Bracer. I hope that gets addressed again in CSII.

zakujanai

He did briefly entertain the notion of becoming a Bracer. I hope that gets addressed again in CSII.

Oh yeah, I remember that part. After the events at the end of CS though I'd think he's a bit beyond just being a bracer. I assumed he was being groomed to lead
Olivert's neutral faction.

Cornbread78

Oh yeah, I remember that part. After the events at the end of CS though I'd think he's a bit beyond just being a bracer. I assumed he was being groomed to lead

Toval planted the seed during the field study visit to
Legram
in chapter 5 before that though.

Bebpo

Banned

I kind of figure at the end of Sen/CS Rean will end up either a Bracer, disappear into the woods/mountains as a hermit away from society, or dead.

Sorta of joking, because I do kinda like Rean, but I wouldn't mind if they killed him off at the end of his story so he doesn't have to appear in future franchise entries.

Cornbread78

I kind of figure at the end of Sen/CS Rean will end up either a Bracer, disappear into the woods/mountains as a hermit away from society, or dead.

Sorta of joking, because I do kinda like Rean, but I wouldn't mind if they killed him off at the end of his story so he doesn't have to appear in future franchise entries.

ouch. That like saying you really like your ex-wife whom you cheated on and divorced to remarry a younger model.

zakujanai

Toval planted the seed during the field study visit to
Legram
in chapter 5 before that though.

Yeah that's the bit I was referring to. Still feel the bracer idea is introduced because the
third faction
is intended to function as the bracer guild does. Essentially that is what he'd be.

Shouta

Akatsuki seems ok, probably about as good as you can get from a browser game. So outside of the gatcha recruitable characters, is this canon, because in the beginning stuff I don't see any reason why it couldn't be a canon side story of a couple new Bracers hanging out in Crossbell after Zero and before Ao.

No idea if I'll stick with it beyond a couple of days. I'm already skipping most of the dialogue because I don't really care about "let's hang out with all our crossbell friends" and just want to get to the meat of the story.

Starts in chapter 1. The story takes place in Liberl in fact, lol. Lots of cool tidbits of information scattered throughout and nice cameos of old NPCs/chars.

Hey Japanese players who're caught up on the series fun question time

Assume Cold Steel 3 was the finale of the whole saga and all living (?) playable characters from all games are chooseable who would be your final team of 6 (assuming still 4 at point 2 reserve)

Gu4n

Hey Japanese players who're caught up on the series fun question time

Assume Cold Steel 3 was the finale of the whole saga and all living (?) playable characters from all games are chooseable who would be your final team of 6 (assuming still 4 at point 2 reserve)

- Rixia (<> Wazy)
- Arios
- Rean
- Kevin (<> Toval)

So I just got a copy of TitS and a PSP but I'm at chapter 3 of ToCS1, should I stop playing ToCS and play TitS or does it not matter?

There are some minor things from sky fc/sc that'll be spoiled if you play cold steel 1 first. I'd recommend playing them in order I think you'll get more out of it going fc -> sc -> cs1

Famassu

So I just got a copy of TitS and a PSP but I'm at chapter 3 of ToCS1, should I stop playing ToCS and play TitS or does it not matter?
Not really. By not playing TitS first some things in Cold Steel will probably be more mysterious and surprising. It'll spoil some things from TitS but a vast majority of its story is never touched upon in Cold Steel. You'll miss some lore but it's not integral to understanding the story of Cold Steel.

Got a very nice condition copy of the PSP Ao no Kiseki Special Edition box set with Tio and Elie Petit Nendoroids for $40. Just came in today. The Nendoroid box is sealed!

I like having copies of the games on my shelf, but having Zero and Ao sitting there is making me jones for (imaginary) English-language versions.

Not really. By not playing TitS first some things in Cold Steel will probably be more mysterious and surprising. It'll spoil some things from TitS but a vast majority of its story is never touched upon in Cold Steel. You'll miss some lore but it's not integral to understanding the story of Cold Steel.
a few things, like a certain moment in Heimdallr become less entertaining.

Gu4n

How long is Cold Steel II?
Approximately the same length as the first game.

Edit:
Rather than playing Akatsuki, I'm actively datamining the game's files and run into a lot of interesting stuff, such as (Zero spoiler)
a Lodge in Remiferia
and pieces of world map we have problems identifying but could be northerly Zemuria (Erebonia/North Ambria).

Gu4n

School setting is the biggest factor, but I also don't care for things like social links. If Cold Steel wasn't a Falcom/Trails game I probably never would have given it a second look.
Cold Steel II has bonding events, too.

I don't know, until the game came out in the West and everyone started emphasising the school setting I never associated it with the game so strongly. First things that came to mind were politics and history, but maybe that's because it's the world and its dynamics interest me more in the first place. I found the school setting very logical.

Cold Steel II has bonding events, too.

I don't know, until the game came out in the West and everyone started emphasising the school setting I never associated it with the game so strongly. First things that came to mind were politics and history, but maybe that's because it's the world and its dynamics interest me more in the first place. I found the school setting very logical.

I think the biggest problem with the school setting in Cold Steel is that the way its handled enforces a rigid formula on the game. Every chapter you have a class, a free day, a trip through a floor of the old schoolhouse, a practical exam, and then the field study which comes as a breath of fresh air. If the game had been more loose with its structure I think people wouldn't have minded the school so much.

Gu4n

I think the biggest problem with the school setting in Cold Steel is that the way its handled enforces a rigid formula on the game. Every chapter you have a class, a free day, a trip through a floor of the old schoolhouse, a practical exam, and then the field study which comes as a breath of fresh air. If the game had been more loose with its structure I think people wouldn't have minded the school so much.
The problem is the rigid structure, indeed, not the school setting. If you probably think about the issues at hand and everything that happened in Trails in the Sky, the school setting is just the most sensible setting; I can't think of another way to have
Oliverts soft political ideals come to fruition.

Tjamato88

Quick question I'm in the middle of my first playthrough of Trails in the Sky FC and I'm in Kaldia Tunnel and I'm level 18 with Estelle and Joshua. Am I underleveled?

Quick question I'm in the middle of my first playthrough of Trails in the Sky FC and I'm in Kaldia Tunnel and I'm level 18 with Estelle and Joshua. Am I underleveled?

While I can't remember specific levels I was at specific places during the game, don't really worry about being underleveled.

The game's experience system is curved around getting you too the right level, so if you are ever underleveled you'll find yourself getting a shitload of experience after each battle and getting caught up to the right level in no time.

While I can't remember specific levels I was at specific places during the game, don't really worry about being underleveled.

The game's experience system is curved around getting you too the right level, so if you are ever underleveled you'll find yourself getting a shitload of experience after each battle and getting caught up to the right level in no time.

This, general rule is if you level after every 1-2 battles with no shiny poms you're probably under leveled.

Psxphile

Amazon acts funny, i'm in a weird distance where I sometimes get packages the day the send me a shipping confirmation then other times where it ships and takes three days (instead of the Prime 2) to get to my house. :/

My game still hasn't shipped.

aravuus

Oh fuck me I just realized that as long as the post does its job, CS2 is like a week away for me. Weird, I got the order sent confirmation email days ago but it just now hit me that I really will be playing CS2 very soon.

Cutting it real close with this SC run. Damn Kotor 2, the jedi mind tricks were too addictive. Gonna switch to the let's play I found on let's play archive, the dude who made this even included a lot of the NPC dialogue it seems, so this should suffice just fine.

FLD

Lol, I was actually thinking of cancelling my Cold Steel II pre-order since there's no bonus and I wasn't planning on playing it right away. Then Amazon.ca decided to charge and ship my order 4 days earlier, something they never do. Oh well. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

So, I figure I might as well just jump right in but I'm curious about one thing: is the pacing better in CSII? The stop and start with the school life bullshit at the start of every chapter got pretty old around the 50 hours mark in CSI. I'm really looking forwad to continuing the story but it hasn't been that long since I played the first game, so I'm a little worried about burning out on it given how long these games tend to be. I know CSII is generally regarded as a much better game. Is the jump in quality comparable to the FC->SC one?

Gu4n

Lol, I was actually thinking of cancelling my Cold Steel II pre-order since there's no bonus and I wasn't planning on playing it right away. Then Amazon.ca decided to charge and ship my order 4 days earlier, something they never do. Oh well. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

So, I figure I might as well just jump right in but I'm curious about one thing: is the pacing better in CSII? The stop and start with the school life bullshit at the start of every chapter got pretty old around the 50 hours mark in CSI. I'm really looking forwad to continuing the story but it hasn't been that long since I played the first game, so I'm a little worried about burning out on it given how long these games tend to be. I know CSII is generally regarded as a much better game. Is the jump in quality comparable to the FC->SC one?
Yes. It's almost as if CS2 wants to compensate for the rigid structure of the first game.

I find the 'jump in quality' hard to judge since there are many who prefer FC over SC; for me personally, it's the biggest "jump in quality" in the series.

aravuus

Seeing the enforcers listed one after the other in SC (http://lparchive.org/The-Legend-of-Heroes-Trails-in-the-Sky-SC/Update 71/, a bit more than halfway down) made me realize how fucking stupid they all look.
Bleublanc
is the only one I think is fine, and that's just because his idiotic outfit reflects his weird-ass personality lol.
Renne
is fairly run-of-the-mill I suppose, but I've never liked the whole
gothic lolita
thing.

I think they're all fine or even fantastic as characters,
Bleublanc
particularly, but god damn do they all look dumb lol.

I figured I'd ask here rather than in the CS thread, as it's a wider question than just CS: for those who have played the Crossbell games, (CS spoilers) is
Gideon's death and his attempt on the Trade Conference
a bit more fleshed out ? As it all happens offscreen in CS, you're left wondering if whoever reports this to you can be trusted to give you a truthful information.

Gu4n

I figured I'd ask here rather than in the CS thread, as it's a wider question than just CS: for those who have played the Crossbell games, (CS spoilers) is
Gideon's death and his attempt on the Trade Conference
a bit more fleshed out ? As it all happens offscreen in CS, you're left wondering if whoever reports this to you can be trusted to give you a truthful information.
Yes. Yes, you could say it's quite fleshed out.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I just found out my copy of CS2 arrived Saturday, didn't even realize it until today. Never had a game arrive that early before release. Of course it would be one I have no intention of playing yet.

3rd when

vesp

Anyone have a link to a good main path lets play of the first game? I think I'm like 5 hours from the end but got annoyed at the dungeon I was in and put it down for like 6 months. Kinda wanna just jump into the new one but find out how the old one ends

Edit: cold steel 1 is what I am referring to

Top Bottom