• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian early copy impressions thread

JonnyKong

How many times have we seen glowing early impressions from GAF users only to have those same users eventually do a 180? It's very common to subconsciously justify a purchase. Of course, I'm not saying everyone is like that, but I definitely take early impressions with a grain of salt.

I haven't been a member of Gaf for that long, but if there is one thing I've learned on this site is that literally every early impression thread starts off with the highest amount of gushing. (I'll never forgive myself for falling into The Division trap thanks to the early hype on here). I know it's exciting to get a copy early and therefore it's a good feeling to come on a forum like this and be able to rile up some hype by offering praise, but I'm with Xaero on this. I'd much rather wait for actual reviews tbh.

Edit: take that review on gamesfaq for example, he's obviously excited about the fact he's one of the first in the world to finish it and post about it, thus he's enjoying the hype he's creating and attention he's getting, so of course he says it's a 10/10

So as dude who lost his 10 year old cat this year, this game is gonna kick me in the balls huh? :(

Just to clarify, this has absolutely nothing to do with how the game ends. But yeah, the bond you build, the subtle animations, just everything about the way Trico behaves is amazing. There is no creature in a game this convincing. Certain mannerisms will be instantly recognizable to pet owners or just animal lovers in general.

Don't you think this will be a relict of times long gone? I somehow have the feeling a game like this wouldn't be greenlit today on a bigger scale than maybe some indie production. I'm so glad it's actually really coming to the players. :O

Sorry, I'm quoting myself to the new page because I'd like to see your opinions. For me it's a strange feeling of reliving history that hasn't even taken place when it was supposed to. If everything went well this may have been a cult classic for years now. So strange and awesome at the same time.

Just to clarify, this has absolutely nothing to do with how the game ends. But yeah, the bond you build, the subtle animations, just everything about the way Trico behaves is amazing. There is no creature in a game this convincing. Certain mannerisms will be instantly recognizable to pet owners or just animal lovers in general.
Hey jawbreaker the bonding with trico parts are they scripted or do you have to constantly interact with him like a real pet?

Freeman76

I haven't been a member of Gaf for that long, but if there is one thing I've learned on this site is that literally every early impression thread starts off with the highest amount of gushing. (I'll never forgive myself for falling into The Division trap thanks to the early hype on here). I know it's exciting to get a copy early and therefore it's a good feeling to come on a forum like this and be able to rile up some hype by offering praise, but I'm with Xaero on this. I'd much rather wait for actual reviews tbh.

Edit: take that review on gamesfaq for example, he's obviously excited about the fact he's one of the first in the world to finish it and post about it, thus he's enjoying the hype he's creating and attention he's getting, so of course he says it's a 10/10

100% and since GAF is one of the most hardcore enthusiast game forums, there is nowhere else on the web that this is more prevalent unfortunately. Take the FF15 thread for example, there are people who talk about crying over how beautiful a city is or something, i mean each to their own but to me that is pretty unhealthy.

Loudninja

100% and since GAF is one of the most hardcore enthusiast game forums, there is nowhere else on the web that this is more prevalent unfortunately. Take the FF15 thread for example, there are people who talk about crying over how beautiful a city is or something, i mean each to their own but to me that is pretty unhealthy.
So?

People from day one posted their likes and dislikes with each game.

I'm not seeing a problem. I've teared up at both Breath of the Wild trailers. A lot of us grew up with these franchises and they are very important in our lives.

It's fine if you don't want to take early impressions seriously though. I can understand that to an extent, but it really depends on the person. There are plenty of folks on GAF I'd trust with their early thoughts on a game.

-As for the story: you haven't seen anything. A lot of people complained about the trailers showing the [reducted] God bless Ueda and SIE for not blowing the real deal, it's the trend nowadays.

Omg I'm so excited!!!

watershed

Banned
The story and that trademark Team Ico mood setting are the two strongest factors tugging me towards buying this game. I love the somewhat uneasy calm in Ico and Sotc.

twisteh

I've got the collectors edition pre-ordered because I'm a huge Team ICO fan, but I didn't really expect it to come close to the first two masterpieces.

After reading the impressions here though?

I'm starting to believe...

I just got home from the hands-on event. They had four demo stations total so the wait was kinda long.

oowasisaikoubidbzej.jpg

img_20161203_135043zjjd7.jpg

img_20161203_134955nusmv.jpg

img_20161203_135122ajrq0.jpg

img_20161203_180630jpsy0.jpg

I disliked the controls and the camera, I somehow lost sight of my pet after getting him to jump down into the lake. It was still pretty charming and l pre-ordered the game because I wanted to know what happens next.

Autofokus

@bigmac996
Could you change your screenshot settings to 1080p? The 4K option uses poor scaling (nearest neighbor?) which results in a pretty soft final image.

Can anyone comment on the usual game+ trophies and stuff for replay value? I'd imagine a speed run would be tough with trico around

Rozart

I just got home from the hands-on event. They had four demo stations total so the wait was kinda long.

I disliked the controls and the camera, I somehow lost sight of my pet after getting him to jump down into the lake. It was still pretty charming and l pre-ordered the game because I wanted to know what happens next.

Yeah, I'm expecting to come across some wonky camera issues. I want those cute blue TLG stickers tho.

SomTervo

Playing at a protest in town (Glasgow) today and now I'm going to swing by the old brick and mortar to see if they have it in...

S1kkZ

not happy with the framerate, at all. playing on a standard ps4 with the newest patch.

once you go outside, the framerate tanks and the game becomes unresponsive. i might hold off until another patch improves performance (if that is even possible) or if it runs better on the pro. its not happening all the time, but the areas that are affected are also the ones where you just want to take everything in, look around and feel immersed. game running in slowmo doesnt really help that.

shame, because i love everything else so far. tricos animations are perfection. there is not other videogame charater that animates this well (i would even go as far and say that not many movies, that have cg creatures, are this well animated.).

A bummer to hear about these frame rate issues. I thought development shifted from the PS3 to PS4 exactly so that they avoid these problems!

LordKano

I read some impressions from a french journalist (which I found trustworthy) and they were pretty positive. I must say I'm surprised since I expected a critical failure. Looks like a long-ass project may finally be good in the end.

Great impressions so far. Combined with the "better than expected pre-orders" message from Sony, I hope someone kept a crow-eating list, because the amount of people who wrote this game off as a flop waiting to happen was through the roof from what I remember.

SomTervo

Can anyone comment on the usual game+ trophies and stuff for replay value? I'd imagine a speed run would be tough with trico around

Curious about this too. Ico had very meagre replay added-content but SotC had some really great stuff.

I predict it will be somewhere between the two. Not the Time Trial level shit of sotc but lots to do.

I read some impressions from a french journalist (which I found trustworthy) and they were pretty positive. I must say I'm surprised since I expected a critical failure. Looks like a long-ass project may finally be good in the end.

FFXV did good too. It can happen.

MrHoot

A bummer to hear about these frame rate issues. I thought development shifted from the PS3 to PS4 exactly so that they avoid these problems!

To be fair, graphics are not the only reason for the shift, and you can REALLY see why while playing. The amount of details gone into the AI and Trico himself is insane.

It might not be the best looking game on ps4, but i'd wager it's probably the game with the most [T E C H N O L O G Y] this generation. Trico completely breaks the uncanney valley for animal AI for me

Z3M0G

I feel like the only possible effect of having the length of a game "spoiled" is having expectations adjusted closer to reality.
Gameplay time doesn't matter much to me because one man's 8 hours is another man's 20 hours. It doesn't really tell you much.

But # of chapters or # of levels is a spoiler in my opinion.

jett

D-Member
Awesome! Here are the images I captured on my ps4pro. Doesn't look downsampled though. Also no spoilers!:

Hell yeah! This is the first of Ueda's work where it genuinely feels like I'm playing a Ghibli movie. So refreshing to have this among the crop of shooters and other recent AAA games.

Image quality isn't great at 1080p. Oh well.

Gbraga

I'm super excited and have this preordered, but I kinda want to wait until christmas. This seems like a perfect game to play in that relaxed holiday mood, without having to worry about work stuff.

Easy to say now, though. I'm sure it'll be hell when my copy arrives, so we'll see.

That and FFXV. This forum had plenty of those.

MrHoot

Hell, Owlboy came out also last month after an 8 year dev cycle and it was also well received.

Development hell is not automatic when something takes a long time.

LordKano

Hell, Owlboy came out also last month after an 8 year dev cycle and it was also well received.

Development hell is not automatic when something takes a long time.

Right ! I played Owlboy and it was fantastic. Completely forgot it came out of a long development cycle.

silva1991

Are we absolutely sure the frame rates on Pro are much better and not just slightly? if so I might ask my sister for her console.

<<< OG PS4 peasant here.

Top Bottom