• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Deku Tree

Rereading my post I realize I wasn't being very clear. Not using rest mode seems to have advantages for FPS issues. The AI bugs are something it seems they just need to figure out and patch. Some quality of life improvements like being able to toggle of the button prompt pop ups and being able to invert the mirror controls to match everything else.

The Bloodborne glitch had nothing to do with rest mode, it happened when you left the application running for a long time and I believe that included keeping the application in suspend mode. So if you disable suspend mode then I don't know how you can compare what happened with Bloodborne to what is happening with TLG. That is all I am saying.

Yeah I might replay the game if they actually patch the AI bugs in a meaningful way.

Well, I finished the game. The ending is amazing. Yes, this game is like a Marvel film, you do need to watch the post-credits sequence.

This is probably the best example in a decade of the concept of "Games As Art". This game is literally a work of art. An unbelievable and amazing experience. A masterpiece. It's definitely my GOTY and it's a strong candidate for Game of the Generation.

The framerate on OG PS4 is really bad but ultimately it didn't really harm the first-time experience. The camera is however absolutely the worst camera in any game I've ever played, and I do mean ever. They really should work on fixing the game's camera, I don't really know how, just fix it. It is terrible in every possible way a camera can be terrible.

I never had any problems directing Trico throughout the game. I'm not sure what to say about the different problems that other people have reported in this thread, I had one instance where I noticed Trico's AI got "stuck" and I had to reset the checkpoint to unstick him but that was it. He was otherwise a perfectly obedient catbird, or dogbird, or whatever he is. The puzzles were generally varied and interesting throughout the game and many of them made good use of Trico in a meaningful manner.

This game has just unbelievable sound design. Trico's noises, the environment, the sparse voice work, and especially the amazing soundtrack. I love this game's soundtrack so very much.

I want to play through this game again at some point. The game is relatively short enough that I'll probably do that and try to collect trophies after I get a Pro.

D-Man

Just finished the game. It was goddamn incredible. Ueda did not disappoint and this is definitely my game of the year.

God, what a game.

Got to the part where I had to bring up a barrel from a pit to feed trico

Then i died jumping off the drawbridge because i went back after not knowing how to progress

Grabbed a chain except it turns out it wasnt grabbable

Now I have to do it all over again. Time to rest

Can someone provide a progress update? How far in/how close am I to finishing the game?

Literally just came across the other Trico for the first time face-to-face and has sent me crashing from above and now I'm snagged on a tree (that's where I've stopped playing for the night as it's ten past four in the morning).

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Can someone provide a progress update? How far in/how close am I to finishing the game?

Literally just came across the other Trico for the first time face-to-face and has sent me crashing from above and now I'm snagged on a tree (that's where I've stopped playing for the night as it's ten past four in the morning).

At least
50% if not a bit more

ScOULaris

So I just spent the last day putting a theory of mine to the test, and it's looking increasingly likely that Rest Mode can cause notable performance issues with TLG on a standard PS4. This could explain why some people don't seem to notice anything too egregious while others are experiencing very choppy framerates during even lighter scenes.

I've tested various areas in the game after resuming from Rest Mode and then again after a full reboot, and I'm noticing a consistent and obvious uptick in framerate after a reboot.

Maybe the game has a memory leak that adds up over time, and if you're always resuming from Rest Mode between play sessions the memory is always being restored to its former state whereas it's flushed and started fresh after a full reboot. Or maybe Rest Mode just has some kind of quirk with the game's engine.

Whatever the case, I urge everyone to try starting the game after a cold boot or full ps4 reboot and playing for a while to see if you noticed increased performance. I look forward to hearing back from those of you who do the comparison to see if your results match mine.

Gusto

I feel as if I'm at the end and I have to say that this game is very, very special. We will never ever see another game like this and it make me very sad. Thank you fans for putting the pressure on Sony to release it and thank you Sony for pulling through. I will promote this game until the very end and I am loving every minute of it. Cliche or not, this game is monumental.

Dreez

I think I found the sure fire way to get Trico to d
ive: climb down to his tail so you're submerged under water. I noticed he'd dive when I dive, but I could never grab onto him; why not already be holding onto him and then go under water

The Lamp

I feel as if I'm at the end and I have to say that this game is very, very special. We will never ever see another game like this and it make me very sad. Thank you fans for putting the pressure on Sony to release it and thank you Sony for pulling through. I will promote this game until the very end and I am loving every minute of it. Cliche or not, this game is monumental.

Playing this game felt like truly playing through a Studio Ghibli movie.

Aspiring

Question for those who have finished regarding length

i am up to a part involving elevators of some sort that pulse blue.

How much longer do i have left?

So far i am loving it. Ypu can clearly see the PS3 roots in the muddy textures but everything else including Tricos AI have been amazing. No dramas at all and dont want it to end!

HStallion

Question for those who have finished regarding length

i am up to a part involving elevators of some sort that pulse blue.

How much longer do i have left?

So far i am loving it. Ypu can clearly see the PS3 roots in the muddy textures but everything else including Tricos AI have been amazing. No dramas at all and dont want it to end!

You're half wayish. I forget how long exactly but you've got a good chunk of the game ahead of you.

Cubed

I'm reposting my thoughts from the spoiler thread; not because I think my opinion matters to anyone, but rather this game is so good it deserves endless praise on Gaf:

Absolutely friggin' brilliant game! My wife cried so many times it was getting depressing. I didn't tear up or cry, but I was basically there. I felt every feeling Ueda wanted me to, I'm sure.

Amazing game. Fix the camera and I'm out of complaints.

Aspiring

You're half wayish. I forget how long exactly but you've got a good chunk of the game ahead of you.

Bloody awesome! Thanks so much.

I am finding the further the game goes on and introduces new puzzles or more enemies the more challenging and fun the game is becoming. Its really is one of the best games i have played this year alongside The Witness.

SubbieD

I'm reposting my thoughts from the spoiler thread; not because I think my opinion matters to anyone, but rather this game is so good it deserves endless praise on Gaf:

Absolutely friggin' brilliant game! My wife cried so many times it was getting depressing. I didn't tear up or cry, but I was basically there. I felt every feeling Ueda wanted me to, I'm sure.

Amazing game. Fix the camera and I'm out of complaints.

That's nice to hear. I'm just waiting on the FPS to be stabilized for base PS4 so I can snag it. Leading question - is the FPS as bad as some of the YouTube vids?

jmaine_ph

The lighting in this game is goddamn amazing. Some of the best I've ever seen and towards the end of the game it gets out of this world beautiful 😍

Mik2121

That's nice to hear. I'm just waiting on the FPS to be stabilized for base PS4 so I can snag it. Leading question - is the FPS as bad as some of the YouTube vids?

Some spots have bad framerate, mainly the area at the beginning with some trees and other foliage moving while in an open area, but for around 80% of the game the framerate is not that terrible. It's not 30 constantly either, though.. but I think most people here kind of felt OK with it seeing how otherwise this is a pretty damn great game.

That and the camera are my only complaints and I still loved the game.

Regret cancelling my CE because it had an artbook but I got the standard, steelbook PAL, and first press JP editions. Loved it. What an experience (barring some annoying sections in the middle). hope thye do a full artbook later.

Would like to know how far I am into the game... I've just got past the part where
Trico gets scared of those guards with the glass shields, and you are taught how to push them over so he can jump over to you?

Putty

"(TricoSecrets) Concerned about Trico's wounds or ruffled feathers? Petting those areas might remove the stains and tidy up those feathers!"

El-Suave

Except for the camera in tight spaces I have no complaints so far probably halfway through the game. It is everything I hoped it would be after all these years.
I'm getting fustrated with those critics who can't see what an achievement this game is. I can give them the camera and maybe the controls, but how anybody can see Trico's reactions and mannerisms as bad or how people call the graphics last gen is beyond me. So far this is a strong contender for my personal GOTY.

Roussow

I remember thinking the water displacement effect (where Trico's dive launches you up through a wave) was only present for the puzzle mid/late way through the game -- on my second playthrough I find that isn't the case, it's universal across all bodies of water (from what I can tell). In the very first water area in the game, (where Trico has to be lured with food) I had thrown one barrel into the water and was heading back to grab the rest, as I approached the edge to throw in the second barrel, Trico leapt into the water -- the wave from his landing launching me back into the room from where I approached.

Just a little detail I really appreciated, I'd love to see a little breakdown of all the little gameplay subtleties and details.

I wasted 100$ on this game and it was worth it.

Sony first party games are the best.
Last Of Us, TLG, SOTC.. are within my top 5 favorite games.

The camera is ass. They should just let the camera see thur walls, not push the camera between a wall and the character. Theres tricks into making Trico do things. Diving is easy. You just dive under Trico and he'll dive. (just make sure you grab him) Jumping i found tricky. But I think you teach Trico.. and it may not be the same for everyone.

also who did Trico fuck?
l

I wanna add I think the more you feed and pet him the more obedient Trico will be.

Midas

Just finished the game yesterday. GOTS (something), not sure when I was this fond of a single player game. I got a puppy two months ago, I think that helped me being patience with Trico - even though at times, I yelled at him like I do with the puppy. "What are you doing?! NOOOO!". :lol

Rizzi

Dog-bird is an idiot that refuses to do what I want, the camera is kind of awful and the frame rate on a base PS4 is terrible.
I kind of hate this game.

gfxtwin

Was it ever explained what those stained glass objects with an image of an eye in them were? Thought for sure it there would be a big reveal about those, but if there was I missed it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm at the point where I'm really falling in love with the game, it's been magical so far. I finished
the eye symbol section and now I'm in room that was blocked by a mine cart, had to find Trico something to eat.

Don't know how far that is, but it could be halfway-ish if the game is 10 hours long. Shame that I have meetings til late this evening, will only get a few hours in today.

I remember thinking the water displacement effect (where Trico's dive launches you up through a wave) was only present for the puzzle mid/late way through the game -- on my second playthrough I find that isn't the case, it's universal across all bodies of water (from what I can tell). In the very first water area in the game, (where Trico has to be lured with food) I had thrown one barrel into the water and was heading back to grab the rest, as I approached the edge to throw in the second barrel, Trico leapt into the water -- the wave from his landing launching me back into the room from where I approached.

Just a little detail I really appreciated, I'd love to see a little breakdown of all the little gameplay subtleties and details.

That's what makes Ueda's games so special. Everything is consistent and organic in the world. There are no "scripted" moments in which one feature is triggered. That is why this is so baffling to so many critics and gamers alike, it's not designed to be like a traditional video game but rather, a virtual world.

gfxtwin

Anyone have any expectations for what they might want to see in a future Ueda game? Can't stop thinking about what he might make next. Hope it takes place in the same dreamworld setting as his other games. I'd be psyched if the next one:

- Had a female protagonist
- Took place in a more open-world environment like SOTC
- Featured a style of gameplay that he hasn't ever done before, maybe involving flight
- Still had that art style, only beefed up more by the PS4 hardware
- Still had the sense of mystery and isolation

Anyone have any expectations for what they might want to see in a future Ueda game? Can't stop thinking about what he might make next. Hope it takes place in the same dreamworld setting as his other games. I'd be psyched if the next one:

- Featured a style of gameplay that he hasn't ever done before, maybe involving flight

I hear he wants to do an FPS so who knows. By any case, considering the ambitions and state of the game, I believe he should be targeting PC first - or if it was exclusive to SONY, the next-generation hardware so we dont' get these delays.

MrHoot

Not take 10 freaking years would be my first :p

Honestly its hard to tell. His situation is so luch different from when he started TLG. I expect it might be a smaller game. I would love if he kept his world building style tho

wouwie

Having played a few hours, i've got mixed feelings about the game so far. First, i feel that everything other than the gameplay is just fantastic. Great visuals and art style, incredible animations, good sound effects and a great soundtrack, wonderful atmosphere, unique setting and ideas and an AI companion that feels like a real living and breathing animal. What the developers achieved with Trico is nothing short of amazing.

However, playing the game has felt more of a struggle than anything else. Wonky controls and camera (even with maximum sensitivity) and a less than smooth framerate (original PS4) make the whole experience less fun than it could have been. When buying the game, i sort of expected these things but i didn't think they would affect my enjoyment as much as this. It rarely feels smooth. I'd be curious to see if it runs considerably better on the Pro.

Also, i can now understand some of the problems this team must have encountered while developing the game. It must have been a huge challenge to make a game with such a gigantic and realistic companion AI, both from a technical point of view and in level design/gameplay. That thing takes up half of the screen.

I hear he wants to do an FPS so who knows. By any case, considering the ambitions and state of the game, I believe he should be targeting PC first - or if it was exclusive to SONY, the next-generation hardware so we dont' get these delays.
Not sure if you're joking but I can imagine a modern/futuristic take on his atmosphere/aesthetics working.

You take that glowing glyph and mirror "tech" and weaponize it.

Imagine guards with the glowings eyes that change based on alert status.

And now my imagination is running wild. This hypothetical game has you infiltrating military bases that are set up around ancient ruins where they hope to revive and militarize.... colossal beasts!

So first person mode has you targeting weakpoints which, upon damaging, alters the beasts behavior, exposing more weakpoints (think changing animations, stances, and environmental destruction allowing for new paths and vantage points).

I'd play it.

Fumito Gear Colossus

Mdk7

This game is such a masterpiece.
As soon as I finished it, I started it again, just like it happened at the time with Shadow of the Colossus.

I was thinking something BTW: how cool would it be if Sony made a simple PSVR experience related to The Last Guardian?
Like maybe a small demo, kinda like the Jackal Mission from Call of Duty, that would let you interact on a basic level with Trico and maybe take a look at some places.
I'd honestly love something like that, and considering the sense of scale given by VR the results could be really intriguing: imagine seeing Trico in front of your eyes in all its gigantic size!

This game is such a masterpiece.
As soon as I finished it, I started it again, just like it happened at the time with Shadow of the Colossus.

I was thinking something BTW: how cool would it be if Sony made a simple PSVR experience related to The Last Guardian?
Like maybe a small demo, kinda like the Jackal Mission from Call of Duty, that would let you interact on a basic level with Trico and maybe take a look at some places.
I'd honestly love something like that, and considering the sense of scale given by VR the results could be really intriguing: imagine seeing Trico in front of your eyes in all its gigantic size!

I am not playing it again right away.

But it's not because I didn't love the game; it's because it was actually more intense to me than SOTC. The battles were pretty intense in SOTC, yes, but the emotional moments in TLG were grand. I'm sure I'll play it again, but not for a while. And that's to the game's credit.

HStallion

Not sure if you're joking but I can imagine a modern/futuristic take on his atmosphere/aesthetics working.

You take that glowing glyph and mirror "tech" and weaponize it.

Imagine guards with the glowings eyes that change based on alert status.

And now my imagination is running wild. This hypothetical game has you infiltrating military bases that are set up around ancient ruins where they hope to revive and militarize.... colossal beasts!

So first person mode has you targeting weakpoints which, upon damaging, alters the beasts behavior, exposing more weakpoints (think changing animations, stances, and environmental destruction allowing for new paths and vantage points).

I'd play it.

Fumito Gear Colossus

Ueda has talked about how he has wanted to make more mainstream/normal games. It was an old interview and while he might have been partially joking he did mention he wanted to make his own take on a FPS game. I think he also mentioned wanting to make a cart racer lol

Top Bottom