• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

BeeDog

Need help with an obtuse "puzzle" (mid game spoilers?):

It's the part where you get beaten down by the other Trico and get stuck in the tree. Whatever I am doing, the kid won't get unstuck, and Trico is just standing there swiping towards me and doing nothing, no matter how much I'm shaking.

What am I supposed to do there?

Hale_C

Is there a way of instructing Trico to pick you up and flip you onto his back? I thought it might be r1+O but no dice...

silva1991

Need help with an obtuse "puzzle" (mid game spoilers?):

It's the part where you get beaten down by the other Trico and get stuck in the tree. Whatever I am doing, the kid won't get unstuck, and Trico is just standing there swiping towards me and doing nothing, no matter how much I'm shaking.

What am I supposed to do there?

Try to make him jump on a platform above the boy and then he will let you climb on his tail.

Is there a way of instructing Trico to pick you up and flip you onto his back? I thought it might be r1+O but no dice...

I don't think so. He does it automatically after a while whenever he pleases.

Erekiddo

I haven't played much of this at all, despite waiting 10 years and both Ico and SotC being in my top 10.

I.. just don't want it to end, and I know the more I play, the more I trudge toward the end.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Just spent 15 minutes repeating the same command to get trico to stand up so I could reach a ledge before he actually did.

I'm done for today. Lovely game, but trico's refusal to do what I say is starting to really turn me off the game :/

Cess007

This Sunday I was finally able to play a long session of this game, and my god, does the time flies when I'm playing. It's a real shame that the game have technical issue and the prompt-screens bug; otherwise, would be a perfect game for me.

I hit a pretty unbelievable point, it's right after this frustrating moment where you have to raise a gate for Trico while you're chased by three guards up and down a bridge. So I figured that was a tedious little thing that didn't work well, since you basically have to get caught at least once and do that ridiculous button mashing. But in the next room.....it's the exact same situation, but with SIX guards? Talk about doubling down on a poorly done part.

Easy method:
Kite them to the far end of the bridge. Climb down to the lower level; run all the way to the front to where you can climb up and open the gate.

^ This. I felt so dumb after struggling so much in the firs section, after finding the easy method in the second xD

Just spent 15 minutes repeating the same command to get trico to stand up so I could reach a ledge before he actually did.

I'm done for today. Lovely game, but trico's refusal to do what I say is starting to really turn me off the game :/

Do not spam commands. It's easier to climb on Trico, point the camera to where you want him to Move and then command him once. You should see the boy's hand point to where you want to go (up, down, side, etc) and then just wait until Trico moves.

At the frame rates TLG runs at? I think people would have a horrible time using this for VR but to each their own.

No sure. As I say, not full VR ... Just for the game to display in the headset in 'cinematic' mode, but also to listen to the headtracking - about as closely as it listens to the right stick, which is to say hardly at all. Just to point the camera, but not be fully immersed in the world like genuine VR. Shouldn't affect the framerate, shouldn't give people the VR heebyjeebys because it's not even attempting to replicate presence.

I just feel like there's a binary paradgim where people think things should be either VR or not. In fact I think the technology offers a lot of interesting ways to cross those boundaries if devs really start to play with it. But I do have a lot of strange ideas.

Anyway it's pretty crazy playing the game on the big screen in the headset. An interesting point at which to go through
a cutscene where Trico worries he's killed the boy and then revives him
. I can almost smell him! Oh wait, that's my dog.

Don't neglect your actual pets, people.

03sho

About an hour or so into the game. What is the boy called?

Also anyway to disable button prompts? Comes up every time

ced

It's a bug, it's not something you're doing or not doing. Reload the checkpoint and he will act normally.

This happened many times during my play through.

Psy-Phi

Treat him like you would a real animal, and not a mechanic. You'll have better luck. I approached my interactions with Trico as if I were teaching an old dog new tricks. Kept me calm and patient, and I feel like the little bit of frustration is intentional. But I finished the game pretty quickly despite any frustration I had. Eventually I understood how to get Trico to do what I wanted...a majority of the time. Sometimes animals just don't wanna cooperate.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Treat him like you would a real animal, and not a mechanic. You'll have better luck. I approached my interactions with Trico as if I were teaching an old dog new tricks. Kept me calm and patient, and I feel like the little bit of frustration is intentional. But I finished the game pretty quickly despite any frustration I had. Eventually I understood how to get Trico to do what I wanted...a majority of the time. Sometimes animals just don't wanna cooperate.

If Trico is straight not responding for more than ten minutes then its probably a bug that needs a restart to solve. Trico is actually pretty responsive once things get moving in the game.

L95

Just tried that
stay alive for 3 minutes in an antenna room
trophy, yeah that's not happening lol

You can cheese it by
hanging off a ledge in the first room it happens, Trico can't grab you while hanging, I think. At least he never did it when I was hanging.

Psy-Phi

Just tried that
stay alive for 3 minutes in an antenna room
trophy, yeah that's not happening lol

Serious I think there's a reason it's titled like it is.
I hesitated for a moment thinking I was safe behind it, and it jumped in a 180 landed and gobbled me up before I could move fast enough.

moozoom

Well, past that frustrating bridge section I really don't understand why the button prompts won't go away after the first part of the game. I know how to jump now, leave me alone. I can't remember Ico doing this.

There are some ways to avoid combat if you look around and don't panic and mash the buttons. The guards are pretty stupid and don't know how to climb ridges or follow the boy around difficult paths. If they lose sight of you, they will wait at the other end of the room while you do your stuff. As already said there is an alternate path beneath the main passage, and they are easily out-runned. There is also a button combination that makes you roll and shove them and a way to kill them by
ripping their head off when they have fallen on the ground. If 6 guards annoy you, I'm afraid you'll have a bad surprise later.

I agree that the button prompts are a little big and intrusive, I would have liked a way to deactivate them - at least for New game plus.

HStallion

I'm curious to see how this journey will end. The end of an era.

As always ;)

Btw i'm at the point after the e3 demo where
you have to climb the tower that fall once you reach the top.
Almost 10 hour playtime, i take my time lol. Am i halfway throught the game?

You're like halfway give or take.

Kudo

How far in the game I am?
Just got to the part with 2 glass eyes on each side of the corridor and there was some text that the beast seemed to fear those. After pushing that wheel like thing to keep the gate open for Trico.
Game has awesome atmosphere and the areas are so beautiful, but the controls..

How far in the game I am?
Just got to the part with 2 glass eyes on each side of the corridor and there was some text that the beast seemed to fear those. After pushing that wheel like thing to keep the gate open for Trico.
Game has awesome atmosphere and the areas are so beautiful, but the controls..
You're like 1/3rd in

Ratrat

post-55515-magic-serval-savannah-cat-high-Urio.gif

Cats can jump really high with little effort, Trico is inspired in part by cats so it's not really surprising he can make jumps like that when you consider his size.
He also beats his little wings whenever he jumps.

see5harp

Man the camera and camera controls suck in this game. Especially when you're just trying to look up at the beautiful outdoor environments and camera speed in the vertical seems to be at level zero.

HStallion

Man the camera and camera controls suck in this game. Especially when you're just trying to look up at the beautiful outdoor environments and camera speed in the vertical seems to be at level zero.

Turn the camera sensitivity to near max and remember to use L1 a lot as it focuses the camera on Trico.

Thanks, I'll push through it definitely, pretty short game seems like.

Anyone know what the Midnight Mode in Audio settings do?

All things considered I found this game to be rather long and meaty. It took me well over ten hours to finish it.

Kudo

Turn the camera sensitivity to near max and remember to use L1 a lot as it focuses the camera on Trico.

All things considered I found this game to be rather long and meaty. It took me well over ten hours to finish it.

True, I guess 10 hours is long for Ueda game.
I'll have to try turning camera sensivity to max too, but what annoys me most is that the camera seems to have life of its own, constantly zooming upwards and places I don't want to look at.

HStallion

True, I guess 10 hours is long for Ueda game.
I'll have to try turning camera sensivity to max too, but what annoys me most is that the camera seems to have life of its own, constantly zooming upwards and places I don't want to look at.

It actually took me nearly 15 hours to complete which is on par with my first play through of games like RE4 and other seminal single player games. I'm actually rather impressed with not only how long the game is but how well paced it is, bugs aside.

see5harp

It's not only the speed to me, it's how the game seems to take control over it and smooth everything especially when Trico is in frame. I wanting to show off the magnificence but this is a video game.

HStallion

It's not only the speed to me, it's how the game seems to take control over it and smooth everything especially when Trico is in frame. I wanting to show off the magnificence but this is a video game.

The camera can build up momentum if you work the camera stick too hard. It will often keep traveling after you let off the stick. I find that once the sensitivity is up to use light and short touches. Tap the stick and make smaller finer adjustments and you'll have a better time. It does make getting those nice smooth panning shots a pain but playing the game itself is better to take a softer touch to the camera controls.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Beat the game and enjoyed the experience.
Not the best, but good and different.

Man I was frustrated a few times trying to get Trico to just stand up where I wanted him to, or dive..

I didn't spam commands, nor did I expect him to react right away. I play the game very slowly myself, and love to explore, but he must have bugged out a few times.

Once I spent 15 mins trying to get him to just stand so I can climb and get to the patch. He refused. I reloaded the checkpoing and he stood right away after I did the same command I was trying over and over.
Same with diving.

RedSwirl

Anybody else think the battles in this game look and feel oddly oddly dynamic despite you never actually doing any of the fighting?

I think it's the fact that you'r basically forced to watch the AI interplay between Trico and the "warriors" and see how little their interactions are scripted. Combine that with how natural their animations look and the combat between them has a surprisingly realistic look. Really that's the main technological achievement of the whole game: how natural they got Trico to feel through both his AI and his animations.

Anybody else think the battles in this game look and feel oddly oddly dynamic despite you never actually doing any of the fighting?

I think it's the fact that you'r basically forced to watch the AI interplay between Trico and the "warriors" and see how little their interactions are scripted. Combine that with how natural their animations look and the combat between them has a surprisingly realistic look. Really that's the main technological achievement of the whole game: how natural they got Trico to feel through both his AI and his animations.
You can participate in the fighting against the soldiers in several ways and yes the animation is great

lionpants

This game is truly testing my patience. Everything is so slow, I hate solving puzzles because Trico takes so damn long to do anything and I am never sure if he is just glitching out and not responding properly or what I am trying is actually incorrect.

The performance is unacceptable (4k HDR).

The controls are absolute shit. I can barely run through a slightly curved hallway without running into walls or debris.

The camera is absolute shit.

I keep getting spammed with button prompts that break immersion and can't find a way to turn them off (although sometimes they are helpful because I know I am actually supposed to grab something if it doesn't respond the first 4 times I try and grab it).

I know all this stuff has been mentioned before, but I just had to vent.

I loved SotC back in the day, but shit like this in this day and age is simply nonsense and should not be acceptable.

I'm going to force myself to finish it. Mostly because of the game's lineage and because I love animals and some of the things Trico does makes me smile.

Hopefully it's worth it.

Finished it yesterday, what an absolute masterpiece, it's a little rough around the edges but my god is this game well designed in nearly every respect. I feel emotionally moved after playing through it, which is not a feeling i'd usually associate with video games. Game of the year without question for me.

BeeDog

How far into the game is the water
diving part right after the arena/seesaw area
? Wanna know if I should push ahead tonight if I'm close to the end.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
How far into the game is the water
diving part right after the arena/seesaw area
? Wanna know if I should push ahead tonight if I'm close to the end.

You've got
quite a way to go. Go to sleep. I actually resumed the game there last night and it took me several hours to reach the end.

JonnyKong

Sorry to be one of those people..

I'm currently climbing
around the outside of what looks like a frozen castle? Jumping over very scarily placed platforms in mid air. Trico has stopped somewhere behind me because of two more of those eyes.
How far am I into it?

icespide

Banned
so when the enemies grab you what exactly are you supposed to mash to break free? literally just all the face buttons at the same time? that was always kind of frustrating to me

Putty

The waterpool has seriously soured my thoughts 8(. Worst swiming mechanics ever...and the camera is now beginning to bug me...plusses still outweigh the minuses, but man...i feel a few months extra was needed. The camera really should have fixed view 3rd person, with no auto panning...and that in tight places the camera should have switched to a more...scripted cinematic view, like Uncharted...

Top Bottom