• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

sasliquid

I finished and I liked it but the numerous camera issues, control issues and some small design issues prevent me from loving it

Maybe as I get distance from the minute to minute frustrations I'll like it more

ScOULaris

I have been turning my PS4 off as of late instead of putting it into rest mode, mostly to try and and be a little greener if nothing else. There are still frame drops and such but its never been anywhere as bad as SotC was on the PS2 for example. That game would go into slow motion with how bad it got.
Well when I play in several sessions using Rest Mode in between I get worse performance in TLG a lot of the time than I did in SotC's ps2 release. It's really bad at times. It's a longshot, but I feel like there might be something here.

It seems to worsen with each consecutive resume from rest mode over time.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well when I play in several sessions using Rest Mode in between I get worse performance in TLG a lot of the time than I did in SotC's ps2 release. It's really bad at times. It's a longshot, but I feel like there might be something here.

It seems to worsen with each consecutive resume from rest mode over time.

Yeah I'm actually fairly happy with the frame rate performance as except for the first time you go outside and a few of the crazier set pieces, the frame rate has been fairly consistent or at least so inoffensive that it didn't bother me enough to notice. Could be a similar kind of issue that Bloodborne was having where leaving your console in rest mode in between gaming sessions could really bork the AI of a lot of the bosses making them far easier and simpler to beat.

To those of you playing on a standard PS4, would you mind trying something for me?

I've noticed variable performance in the game depending on certain external factors. The game possibly degrades in performance gradually if I play on and off for a day or two while putting the PS4 into Rest Mode in between each play session. If I fully restart my PS4 and then launch the game back to where I was previously getting horrendous performance, it will often perform better in the same scene after a full reboot.

If anyone else could test to see if they experience differences in performance after a PS4 reboot on the standard console I'd appreciate it. I feel like the game's poor performance is fixable since I get higher framerates sometimes after a reboot in scenes that were otherwise extremely choppy. Maybe if we're on to something the developers could patch in a fix.

I'll have an experiement, as HStallion said above, something similar happened with Bloodborne. If it helps (on an OG PS4), I haven't really used rest mode whilst playing TLG, and I haven't had any issues with framerate that I didn't have in SotC. The only had not-so-subtle frame rate drops have happened in three specific small areas, and they were all small outdoor areas with a lot of grass. There was one grassy area in particular where the drops were extremely noticeable, to the point where it reminded me of fighting Basaran in SotC where he'd shoot electricity at you. I've been really surprised how well the framerate holds up outdoors, considering the ludicrous scale of some of the areas.

All right, I'm actually stuck. I'm pretty sure I'm close to the end of the game but this last puzzle baffles me. Maybe I could get a hint here?

So I'm inside the white tower and now I'm in a room with an elevator. I stick the mirror into the slot and the elevator goes up and then stops because the ceiling is in the way. I don't know how to proceed.

HStallion

All right, I'm actually stuck. I'm pretty sure I'm close to the end of the game but this last puzzle baffles me. Maybe I could get a hint here?

So I'm inside the white tower and now I'm in a room with an elevator. I stick the mirror into the slot and the elevator goes up and then stops because the ceiling is in the way. I don't know how to proceed.

Take a better look at the elevator platform you're standing on.

Salaadin

There are holes in the elevator floor. Drag Telcos tail into a hole and climb down.

KevinG

Put the tail in there hole.

I was stuck there too. The holes in the ground of that platform, drag Trico's tail into the hole to climb down.

Deku Tree

Ok I think I got to the most convoluted part left. I figured out what I had to do pretty quickly but making it happen is a whole different issue.

I am at the part where I have to grab
Trico's tail and pull it into one of several holes in the white building. Right now I have grabbed it and pulled it into two different holes but the tail doesn't fall all the way into the hole it just sort of dips into it slightly and I don't see any way to get the hole tail into the hole and climb down it.
Any suggestions?

Ok I think I got to the most convoluted part left. I figured out what I had to do pretty quickly but making it happen is a whole different issue.

I am at the part where I have to grab
Trico's tail and pull it into one of several holes in the white building. Right now I have grabbed it and pulled it into two different holes but the tail doesn't fall all the way into the hole it just sort of dips into it slightly and I don't see any way to get the hole tail into the hole and climb down it.
Any suggestions?

You really don't need to put the whole thing down.
If you climb it to the tip when part of it is down, your weight will pull it down naturally.

Deku Tree

You really don't need to put the whole thing down.
If you climb it to the tip when part of it is down, your weight will pull it down naturally.

Yeah that didn't happen for me. Anyway I just waited until a hint popped up and then
Trico decided to move his whole tail down one hole by himself.

Generate

Banned
Honestly, I can't even largely relate to that. I agree that his controls are imprecise. But aside from a couple of situations (jumping off chains), the imprecision isn't really much of an issue.

The boy grabs on to things quite like liberally. It's practically impossible to fall off things given that the game doesn't let you unless you jump off. And the game doesn't have a level design that punishes you for having imprecise control over the boy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he isn't imprecise. I just don't think the game is designed in such a way to punish you for that imprecision. I encountered a couple of minor instances where the controls detracted from what I was trying to accomplish but not much more then that.

Well for example I can think of two particular instances of controls directly causing a death.
when you are away from Trico and encounter the other monster in the tree. You have to jump from the vines to the wire above and its a very clunky transition that caused me to fall off twice before managing the jump. The other was during the fight between the monsters where you jump up to grab the chain. In both instances the slippery clunky controls and bad camera caused me to miss and fall to death.
Aside from those I managed the controls sufficiently well but its definitely a flaw.
Thats not a huge indictment on the game though because SOTC had lots of weird control clunkiness too. Its how the designer makes his games.

I'm really sick of this shit

In a room where i hooked some pot to a chain to make trico get me into another room with a barrel and a ramp

Fed trico the barrel but he kees going back to play with the pot when I need him to jump up for me

Been stuck for an hour trying to get trico into the next room but idk how. Haf the frustration is getting him to stop playing with the fucking pot because the animation for him to stop playing takes forever

Then theres the physics, constantly falling over, and trying to navigate the 3 rooms to figure out what to do

Its realy wearing me down

HStallion

In a room where i hooked some pot to a chain to make trico get me into another room with a barrel and a ramp

Fed trico the barrel but he kees going back to play with the pot when I need him to jump up for me

Been stuck for an hour trying to get trico into the next room but idk how. Haf the frustration is getting him to stop playing with the fucking pot because the animation for him to stop playing takes forever

Then theres the physics, constantly falling over, and trying to navigate the 3 rooms to figure out what to do

Might be a bug. Anything taking over ten minutes often seems like it is. Restart things and try again.

Might be a bug. Anything taking over ten minutes often seems like it is. Restart things and try again.

Idk, im still trying to figure it out

It being a bug seems unacceptably frustarting

I already died and restarted the checkpoint so its likely im just stuck

But getting trico to listen is pissing me off here

Im going to accept that he just has to do his thing and that im missing something

I think I've got the wrong room, but is that the one where
he plays with the pot to pull the gate up for you, and then you jam something underneath the gate, so he can get through?
I do think I've got the wrong puzzle, though.

MrHoot

Im going to accept that he just has to do his thing and that im missing something

Silly question but have you
pushed the barrel under the door to keep it open so that he can then pass through ?

Hellshy.

Trico did the same thing to me except she followed me into the next room by me luring her with a barrel but after trio ate it she went back to other room and started playing with the pot. I tried everything for good 10 minutes . I just restarted game and trico followed the barrel and we moved on. I think it's a bug bc it was very quick after the reboot

Trico did the same thing to me except she followed me into the next room by me luring her with a barrel but after trio ate it she went back to other room and started playing with the pot. I tried everything for good 10 minutes . I just restarted game and trico followed the barrel and we moved on. I think it's a bug bc it was very quick after the reboot

Wait..how did trico get past the damn metal gate?

I restarted it but she just cant get through to me.

What i did before was bring her the barrel to eat bybwaiting for her to lift the gate. But in utterly at a loss as to what to do after that

Hellshy.

if I remember correctly the point of putting the jar on the chain is to get trico to play with it and turn the gear that opens the gate than u have to lure trico into other room bc she will go back to the jar

Edit
maybe someone else could chime in bc I beat the game days ago and don't remember exactly how I got trico to open gate. I believe after putting pot on chain I got the barrel and brought it over to the gate and than called trico . That whole part worked fine and fast both times

By and far the most intimate game this year. It's astounding what the game can accomplish in sense of scale with so simple of actions and moments.

if I remember correctly the point of putting the jar on the chain is to get trico to play with it and turn the gear that opens the gate than u have to lure trico into other room bc she will go back to the jar

Im trying. I know about that, but dont know how to get her to follow

Thanks though! Ill figure it out. At least i know not to waste time in the other room

Toki767

What i did before was bring her the barrel to eat bybwaiting for her to lift the gate. But in utterly at a loss as to what to do after that
Through the gate you should see a ramp on the left side that you pull a cart or something up. Then you turn the cart on its side and insert it under the gate.

I think that's the part where you are at least.

Hellshy.

OK I remember once u go under gate u need to find something to prop the gate up just enough so that when u bring barrel out trico can get under the gate

If I've got the right room/puzzle, Trico came over immediately for me
when I got drum under the gate to hold it up
, I didn't even have to bait him with a barrel. Trico then waited for me to climb up on his back, and we went on to the next area. It does sound like a glitch, unfortunately.

Through the gate you should see a ramp on the left side that you pull a cart or something up. Then you turn the cart on its side and insert it under the gate.

I think that's the part where you are at least.

Thanks so much

For gods sake, i tried this but not where u suggested and I dont see why it needed to be so specific

That was incredibly frustrating. But thankfully, its not an a.i problem as i once thought

Toki767

Thanks so much

For gods sake, i tried this but not where u suggested and I dont see why it needed to be so specific

That was incredibly frustrating. But thankfully, its not an a.i problem as i once thought
You had to pull it up the ramp because when you push it off it stands on its side.

Glad to hear you made it through though. Frustration is all part of puzzle games really.

You had to pull it up the ramp because when you push it off it stands on its side.

Glad to hear you made it through though.

Yes but not being able to do it
anywhere else
discouraged me from trying just that

And now trico wont stop headbutting and keeps watching ke insead of what she needs to be doing and has been doing for the past hour I've been here

Seriously this just feels awful

Take a better look at the elevator platform you're standing on.

There are holes in the elevator floor. Drag Telcos tail into a hole and climb down.

Put the tail in there hole.

I was stuck there too. The holes in the ground of that platform, drag Trico's tail into the hole to climb down.

Thanks guys. Except now I'm stuck again.

I'm in the room with the Explainer Master of the Valley. I've figured out that pointing the mirror at it makes the sphere shrink until it is exposed. Then I'm lost as to what to do with it.

edit: Never mind, I just figured it out.

I cant. Idk how you guys did this part

Trico wont even pay attention to the pot now and wont let me try doing what i need to do. This is infuriating. It feels as if something is not clicking with the puzzle on the programming side

HStallion

Thanks guys. Except now I'm stuck again.

I'm in the room with the Explainer Master of the Valley. I've figured out that pointing the mirror at it makes the sphere shrink until it is exposed. Then I'm lost as to what to do with it.

edit: Never mind, I just figured it out.

Uhh not sure how to answer this one without outright giving it away.
All I can say is pay attention to the black substance as it ebs and flows

I cant. Idk how you guys did this part

Trico wont even pay attention to the pot now and wont let me try doing what i need to do. This is infuriating. It feels as if something is not clicking with the puzzle on the programming side

Have you tried restarting your system? That can usually solve weird AI quirks and if nothing's happening for more than ten minutes something might have gone wrong. The performance also seems to run better if you don't use rest mode. Trico should be far more attentive and reactive to you even in the early game. Also giving too many commands in short order can cause problems and even straight up confuse Trico.

Restarted it and got it done

This entire sequence has completely worn me down on everything. I need a break because its totally soured me

Yeah, I think the ignoring of the pot is normal once you have solved the afore mentioned puzzle
Where you tip the gear on its side and put it under the gate to prop it under. This causes the pot to spill so trico shouldn't care about it anymore and it should be on the ground. I was then able to just call Trico into the other room under the gate from in that room. Did you restart somewhere along the line and maybe there is a food barrel needed in that room still?

That being said, there are a lot of puzzle glitches. I'm at a part where a tail is supposed to drop down in the game and it definitely isn't. Seeing a lot of people having the issue so I called it a night. Making Trico gfycats instead.

Petting Trico Early Game - Maybe an environmental spoiler?

Deku Tree

Ok I finished it. Was worth it.

I'm just sad that TLG could be such an amazing game but it's hugely held back by technical problems (Camera, Clunky Controls, and mainly the very frustrating Trico AI) that largely overshadow and majorly detract from the overall appreciation and enjoyment of the experience.

To me this game would be a 10/10 without those problems. But those problems are so big that it gets knocked down to a 5 or a 6/10.

Yeah, I think the ignoring of the pot is normal once you have solved the afore mentioned puzzle
Where you tip the gear on its side and put it under the gate to prop it under. This causes the pot to spill so trico shouldn't care about it anymore and it should be on the ground. I was then able to just call Trico into the other room under the gate from in that room. Did you restart somewhere along the line and maybe there is a food barrel needed in that room still?

That being said, there are a lot of puzzle glitches. I'm at a part where a tail is supposed to drop down in the game and it definitely isn't. Seeing a lot of people having the issue so I called it a night. Making Trico gfycats instead.

Petting Trico Early Game - Maybe an environmental spoiler?

She was ignoring the pot before i did what i needed

Its like she was caught in a loop. Tried to command her to no avail

But upon restarting she listened to me.

Leeness

Is someone able to help me with Trico diving?

Puzzle spoilers?

I got through the first dive, but the second one just isn't happening.

I've gotten him to dive and go through, but he leaves me behind, or when I get him to dive and I'm on, he turns around when reaching the bottom (I have opened the gate). :( But I can't seem to get him to dive, have me on his back, and go through.

Help?

Toki767

Puzzle spoilers?

I've gotten him to dive and go through, but he leaves me behind, or when I get him to dive and I'm on, he turns around when reaching the bottom (I have opened the gate). :( But I can't seem to get him to dive, have me on his back, and go through.

Help?

Collision detection there can be kind of poor. But you just have to hold R1 and point in the direction and he should get it eventually.

Deku Tree

Puzzle spoilers?

Help?

I was stuck there for a while last night. Maybe over 20 minutes. Just hold R1 and point down. Some people said to swim below Trico and then call him and he'll swim down there and hopefully grab you on his way.

HStallion

I was stuck there for a while last night. Maybe over 20 minutes. Just hold R1 and point down. Some people said to swim below Trico and then call him and he'll swim down there and hopefully grab you on his way.

You don't even need to call Trico. It seems Trico will automatically dive after the boy if he starts diving. I'd get Trico into the water, swim up close to him then start to dive for like 3 seconds then I'd swim right under wear Trico is treading water and it would dive down after the boy with a delay of like 6 seconds maybe longer and the Boy would stick to Trico in the process. The camera can get wonky so tap L1 to reset it at a better vantage point.

robotrock

Banned
Ok I finished it. Was worth it.

I'm just sad that TLG could be such an amazing game but it's hugely held back by technical problems (Camera, Clunky Controls, and mainly the very frustrating Trico AI) that largely overshadow and majorly detract from the overall appreciation and enjoyment of the experience.

To me this game would be a 10/10 without those problems. But those problems are so big that it gets knocked down to a 5 or a 6/10.

I think the frustrating Trico AI is part of what makes the game so good.

Controls are weird, but they deliver a really interesting feel.

Camera sucks hardcore

Past the demo part and climbing around here is really beautiful. Some of the jumping is frustraring but the check points make up for it

HStallion

I think the frustrating Trico AI is part of what makes the game so good.

Controls are weird, but they deliver a really interesting feel.

Camera sucks hardcore

Might be too late for you but bump the sensitivity up to 90 or more and try to use smaller lighter taps of the camera stick instead of pushing it all the way and holding it since the camera will accelerate and maintain some momentum even after letting off the stick which can make things a pain. I don't touch the camera much myself and often use L1 to correct the camera a bit if Trico is nearby.

Leeness

Collision detection there can be kind of poor. But you just have to hold R1 and point in the direction and he should get it eventually.

You don't even need to call Trico. It seems Trico will automatically dive after the boy if he starts diving. I'd get Trico into the water, swim up close to him then start to dive for like 3 seconds then I'd swim right under wear Trico is treading water and it would dive down after the boy with a delay of like 6 seconds maybe longer and the Boy would stick to Trico in the process. The camera can get wonky so tap L1 to reset it at a better vantage point.

I've turned it off right now because I was trying for like 20 minutes and it still wasn't working but I've kind of done all these and he either leaves me behind when I dive on my own, or if I dive with the boy attached already to Trico, he turns around when he gets to the bottom of the pond.

😔

HStallion

I've turned it off right now because I was trying for like 20 minutes and it still wasn't working but I've kind of done all these and he either leaves me behind when I dive on my own, or if I dive with the boy attached already to Trico, he turns around when he gets to the bottom of the pond.

😔

Might need a hard restart. I'm hoping Sony is paying attention and attempt to release a patch for these continued bugs though it sounds like their might be an issue similar to when Bloodborne first released where leaving your console in sleep mode instead of turning it off can lead to weird issues. In BB it caused bosses to be much easier to beat as their attack patterns and such would get thrown out of whack. Sounds like TLG might have a similar issue.

I tend to turn my PS4 off now instead of using rest mode and I've not had serious FPS issues except for a few set pieces and a couple other fleeting moments where others are constantly having issues.

Deku Tree

Might need a hard restart. I'm hoping Sony is paying attention and attempt to release a patch for these continued bugs though it sounds like their might be an issue similar to when Bloodborne first released where leaving your console in sleep mode instead of turning it off can lead to weird issues. In BB it caused bosses to be much easier to beat as their attack patterns and such would get thrown out of whack. Sounds like TLG might have a similar issue.

I tend to turn my PS4 off now instead of using rest mode and I've not had serious FPS issues except for a few set pieces and a couple other fleeting moments where others are constantly having issues.

I have suspend applications disabled and I often turn my PS4 off and I had the same issues with Trico diving.

Toki767

😔
If I had to guess, Trico may be too close to the wall if he turns back.

HStallion

I have suspend applications disabled and I often turn my PS4 off and I had the same issues with Trico diving.

Rereading my post I realize I wasn't being very clear. Not using rest mode seems to have advantages for FPS issues. The AI bugs are something it seems they just need to figure out and patch. Some quality of life improvements like being able to toggle of the button prompt pop ups and being able to invert the mirror controls to match everything else.

Leeness

Well I've turned it off for the night so we'll see another day hahahaha.

If I had to guess, Trico may be too close to the wall if he turns back.

Hm, maybe, but I don't know how to get him to the right spot. Either I seem to be too far away and he won't dive, or I'm too close and he turns away.

My little Trico, so confused 😔

Top Bottom