• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Left Behind |OT|

Dereck

Any other method of killing anything or anyone should never not be sneak up behind and knife. Any other method is irritating and alerts everyone.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So having had some time to think about Left Behind I think I have actually flipped my opinion on this DLC.

It was completely unnecessary and now I think i see it for what it is, a cheap cash grab. Pretty much everything that happened was better left untold. To be honest we did not really get any deeper insight to any of the characters. We know more about riley but we already knew what we needed to know about her in the main game. She was a kid, Ellie's bff and dead.

Did we really need to see Ellie getting the supplies for joel? And then the whole Ellie and Ripley story while nicely told did not add anything more to the lore/story of The Last of Us. The main thing they did in terms of character development is tease the Ellie is a lesbian thing (which I don't think is the case) which I found to be kinda stupid

I think stepping back from the hype I see no reason for this DLC to exist. Doesn't do much gameplay wise and story wise its unnecessary exposition, which doesn't even show the most important part of it. To anyone on the fence I'd say save your money until this is much much cheaper.

And I love TLOU - the original game is one of my favorite games of all time and is tied with MGS4 for GOTG.

You must hate the hobbit being stretched into a trilogy.

I agree with your core point - this doesn't really move anything on. It is just spending some more time with Ellie. But personally that had value for me.

Was it announced prior to release that
you would play in two time lines? I didn't follow media at all as - like the main game -I wanted to go in knowing as little as possible. I loved that you played Ellie finding medicine for Joel, I totally accepted it in the main game that it just moved on in time, but I did wonder how it would of gone down. It was a lovely surprise to see that!

I've finished TLoU three times now, but I would buy it happily if they converted it to PS4. Its such a brilliant game and ND are gods at world creation and story telling.

ron_bato

Was it announced prior to release that
you would play in two time lines? I didn't follow media at all as - like the main game -I wanted to go in knowing as little as possible. I loved that you played Ellie finding medicine for Joel, I totally accepted it in the main game that it just moved on in time, but I did wonder how it would of gone down. It was a lovely surprise to see that!

I've finished TLoU three times now, but I would buy it happily if they converted it to PS4. Its such a brilliant game and ND are gods at world creation and story telling.

Nope, that bit was not announced. As far as all the info was concerned, they led us to believe that this was more of the riley and ellie story only.

Manu

I didn't think I had to follow this DLC super closely, because Naughty Dog has never done me wrong before. I liked all the Uncharteds and I liked the original LOU. I thought I was safe. They just should have put a warning on this DLC explaining that it was a movie.

WARNING: This DLC may be considered a movie by those with Trent Strong's totally subjective notions of what is and isn't gameplay, which we couldn't possibly have known beforehand. Proceed with caution.

Melchiah

Really? It took me less than 2 hours to complete on survivor difficulty both times I played it. Listening to all of the optional stuff too.

Yep. I always take my time to inspect and admire the surroundings. It's pretty unbeliavable to me, that you finished it in 2 hours, and on hard. o_O The main game took me 19 hours on normal.

Darksol

I just want to say that I love the new music tracks in this DLC. Like the main game, it's minimalistic but just seems to work perfectly. I think I'll buy the second volume soundtrack recently released.

Hubb

I'm extremely sad that it seems (unconfirmed) that Vol 2 will not have a physical release. I guess the sales of the first on disc weren't so great. Oh well I went ahead and used some itunes credit I had on it earlier.

zychi

Banned
based on the graphical "upgrade" for this dlc. i'm pretty sure we're goign to get a tlou ps4 version. theres really no reason to talk about it until ND finishes whatever other dlc they have in mind. i'd gladly double dip for a full package disc on ps4

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Guys, are there any common issues with installing this DLC/installing LoU with the most recent patch? A friend of mine downloaded LoU + DLC, but he is stuck in an install loop with the patch and the main game. I downloaded LoU again + DLC and for me its stuck on the Ellie+ Joel screen with the progress bar.

Anyone notice some new animations in the DLC? I got the jump on someone and just stabbed him once and pushed him against cover. Never saw that one in the normal game.

Stark

Banned
based on the graphical "upgrade" for this dlc. i'm pretty sure we're goign to get a tlou ps4 version. theres really no reason to talk about it until ND finishes whatever other dlc they have in mind. i'd gladly double dip for a full package disc on ps4

No it doesn't. You should watch the IGN Spoilercast.

Hubb

In the spoilercast they basically said, if the demand and resources are there they'd do it. Playstation Now was mentioned, so I could see them foregoing a PS4 version so Sony can push using PSNow to play TLoU.

I enjoyed this. I do think at ~3 hours it felt a little short for the price, but that's only because it's high in "interactive story" sections, and the combat- being the most replayable portions of the game- is over pretty quickly. That said, it was still an enjoyable experience, and one that once again proves how far ahead Naughty Dog is compared to most devs with their character writing.

Funny enough, it made me want a TLoU sequel, which I was not in favor of, but not for the story or the characters, but because I want to see 3 way combat encounters become more of a focus, and expanded on. There are a TON of things they can do with that dynamic, and the PS4 would allow for much more freedom in building those scenarios.

Soundtrack's also good, though it's not as much of a standout quality as the main game until right at the end, but those credit songs are fantastic.

cameron

Anyone notice some new animations in the DLC? I got the jump on someone and just stabbed him once and pushed him against cover. Never saw that one in the normal game.

General spoilers.
One of Ellie's stealth shiv animation seems to be new. First stab in the neck, then two stabs in the lower back area. In Boston, Ellie's walk/jog is looks new, but maybe that 'cause she isn't wearing a jacket.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I agree with your core point - this doesn't really move anything on. It is just spending some more time with Ellie. But personally that had value for me.
It does show where Ellie's strength to never give up on Joel comes from.
"I'll never let you go"
scene was pretty important.

Dragon

Banned
I enjoyed the story aspect of this a lot. As for the gameplay, in three plus hours i glitched out at least five times. One of which was at the end which then made me respawn right next to a hunter. So after the checkpoint I had to immediately sprint to the right as I'd get killed instantly otherwise. It ruined an otherwise awesome experience. I know my experience isn't usual and I saw in the credits how many people worked on this but man it was a bummer.

And when I say glitched out I mean only the floor was visible. I could hear sounds and gunfire but couldn't see anything. Anything above the floor besides Ellie was white.

Loved the original game, bought the DLC. While I still thought this dlc was really good, I just wish it was either $10 or just an hour or two longer. If you compare this to the bioshock 2 single player dlc Minerva's Den (which i loved), which was also similarly priced, that was longer and had more gameplay.

Also, I noticed a few people mentioning getting a Last of Us documentary from somewhere -where can i find this? I couldn't find it on the PS store.

kurbaan

Banned
You must hate the hobbit being stretched into a trilogy.

Yes I sure do hate the Hobbit being a trilogy.

I love Ellie she is probably one of my favorite characters in probably the last generation but I don't think this added to her character much. Some of this stuff was better left for us to imagine i guess.

So having had some time to think about Left Behind I think I have actually flipped my opinion on this DLC.

It was completely unnecessary and now I think i see it for what it is, a cheap cash grab. Pretty much everything that happened was better left untold. To be honest we did not really get any deeper insight to any of the characters. We know more about riley but we already knew what we needed to know about her in the main game. She was a kid, Ellie's bff and dead.

Did we really need to see Ellie getting the supplies for joel? And then the whole Ellie and Ripley story while nicely told did not add anything more to the lore/story of The Last of Us. The main thing they did in terms of character development is tease the Ellie is a lesbian thing (which I don't think is the case) which I found to be kinda stupid

I think stepping back from the hype I see no reason for this DLC to exist. Doesn't do much gameplay wise and story wise its unnecessary exposition, which doesn't even show the most important part of it. To anyone on the fence I'd say save your money until this is much much cheaper.

And I love TLOU - the original game is one of my favorite games of all time and is tied with MGS4 for GOTG.

I think you're in denial with the last part of your spoiler there.
It's pretty clear that she is a lesbian or rather she does have romantic feelings for Riley (I'm not a fan of labels), and their friendship goes beyond being platonic. You get a hint of it in the photo booth, when they both look at each other, before quickly and awkwardly getting out. Then, it is made abundantly clear near the end.
All in all, I thought they handled that extremely well. Subtle, without beating you over the head.

Subtle, without beating you over the head.

This is why I loved TLoU and the DLC. There's more going on in what the characters don't say and do, which is a huuuuuuge step up from 99% of videogame storytelling. Like little hints of Joel's past with Tessa, why Joel cares so much about Ellie, Bill's relationships, and now here with Riley and Ellie.

It leaves room for multiple interpretations, which is what makes the characters so engrossing.

Hubb

I don't think it's a rumour when it's straight out of the Creative Director's mouth.

They didn't outright say there wouldn't be a PS4 version in the spoilercast. To expand on this I highly doubt they will either hint or confirm anything until all the DLC is out and it isn't long before the PS4 version releases. All they would be doing is hindering sales of the DLC and the game for the PS3 version.

kurbaan

Banned
I think you're in denial with the last part of your spoiler there.
It's pretty clear that she is a lesbian or rather she does have romantic feelings for Riley (I'm not a fan of labels), and their friendship goes beyond being platonic. You get a hint of it in the photo booth, when they both look at each other, before quickly and awkwardly getting out. Then, it is made abundantly clear near the end.
All in all, I thought they handled that extremely well. Subtle, without beating you over the head.

I'm not so sure. I picked Love in the booth and at that time they were like "oh lol Love thats stupid" or something sarcastic like that. I didn't notice any moment between them. Also I'd maybe be more inclined to agree if they were older but they are just little kids which is why I don't think its much more than friends.

Ora

Banned
okay so i have a kinda weird question. i purchased the last of us digitally when it released on my original psn account. i now use a different account for my ps4 and it has $50 credit on it. if i were to buy the season pass with my new account, would it work with my digital version of the last of us that i bought with my other account?

Hubb

okay so i have a kinda weird question. i purchased the last of us digitally when it released on my original psn account. i now use a different account for my ps4 and it has $50 credit on it. if i were to buy the season pass with my new account, would it work with my digital version of the last of us that i bought with my other account?

99.99% sure you cannot do that. You need to have everything on the same account.

EDIT: Content downloaded onto an activated console is accessible to all users on the same console as long as the console is activated with the owner of the content's PSN ID. Some content specifically prohibits this.

Content is not shared in the store across PSN IDs and only the account that purchased the content will have the ability to install the content. To share content across accounts, simply have the owner of the content activate the console on their account and install the content on the same console.

For content purchased prior to November 18, 2011, you were allowed to have that content on up to 5 PS3s, and content purchased after November 18, 2011 is only allowed to be installed and activated on up to 2 PS3s.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Think I'm gonna replay it again soon.
I totally missed the awkward looks at each other in the picture booth.

Future

Not sure this is worth 15 bucks, but I gave naughty dog benefit of the doubt given how good the main game.

Had a good time with it. Definitely pushin the story stuff so far now that you can make a case it interferes with gameplay. There was a section in the middle that felt like pure movie.

The gameplay section
in Joel time
was a bit of a retread and an excuse to pad the dlc I think. I guess I can see the parallels story wise and why you'd pair it with
Riley's story
, but I felt I had already experienced that in the original game. Gameplay scenario was different, but the stakes were literally exactly the same so it felt like a retread.

Might hold off on next dlc and wait for impressions first

Superflat

Is it just me or does this DLC look better than the main game graphically? I've been taking screenshots and it looks insane:

It looks about on par to me, they're both amazing looking, at least technically speaking. The DLC showcases the assets a bit better though.

They only have a few number of locations as well so they could really pour a lot of detail and great little things around to see. Everything in the mall is definitely super dense and meticulously crafted, whereas in the campaign those things were more spread out.

I literally haven't played a console game since TLOU came out. Loved this DLC. Only bitter because there was no reward for siting though the endless credits...otherwise, perfect.

I'm not so sure. I picked Love in the booth and at that time they were like "oh lol Love thats stupid" or something sarcastic like that. I didn't notice any moment between them. Also I'd maybe be more inclined to agree if they were older but they are just little kids which is why I don't think its much more than friends.

There was definitely a moment
in the photo booth at the end when they are getting out of it. They had that awkward look, and I thought they might possibly kiss there actually. I definitely think it's more than just friendship (especially given what the writer/director said in the Spoilercast on IGN) given all the hints/looks throughout the DLC, then of course, the kiss.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Might be a stupid question. .. but I just downloaded this off PSN and its not showing up under my games list.. never bought any form of DLC before.. do I need a physical copy of TLOU to play this dlc? please say no.. I sold the game.. did I juat waste 15 bucks?

Might be a stupid question. .. but I just downloaded this off PSN and its not showing up under my games list.. never bought any form of DLC before.. do I need a physical copy of TLOU to play this dlc? please say no.. I sold the game.. did I juat waste 15 bucks?

You just wasted 15 bucks. Sorry to say. Maybe you could borrow the disc from a friend?

Jesus fucking christ. ill be getting a refund from sony tomorrow. Nowhere does it say you need the original game. I thought this was stand alone.

RnukHLv.jpg

Sure it doesn't...

Zornack

I finally got around to playing it and damn is it good. It's definitely up there with Artorias of the Abyss as one of the best DLCs of all time. Also,
infected + human fights! I was not expecting that.

Top Bottom