• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Fuck man, there are people who use greasemonkey scripts ...i can see the fucking link title and a thumbnail of the video without clicking on it!!

Yes, please can people stop posting videos of the opening here?!

That one single paused frame hints at enough to confirm some speculations

If you really want to post a video link, just put the /watch?.....

the chris

Avoiding the thread. Too many people have it, too many people are leaking spoilers and too many people dont know how to adequately hide spoilers when discussing in here. Just playing it safe.

5 more days though! Get Hype!

Hx4J7Cq.gif

Came into this thread to see if anybody had posted where early copies of the game might be sold at and decided to post this pic too.
qPUEAWL.gif

I now go back to waiting impatiently.

This is pure speculation from someone who hasn't played or seen the opening.
First piece of evidence is the story trailer. There is a very short clip of a panicked crowd running through a non-overgrown city street with burning buildings. Obviously early in outbreak or right at the start

Then in the extended E3 demo, when Joel and Ellie are talking about the movie poster, his response just implies that he once had a young daughter or teenage daughter. Considering the setting and the tropes of the genre, he probably lost his daughter either during the initial chaos or early in the outbreak.

So the opening is most likely the beginning of the outbreak, that initial unexpected chaos as normal life is shattered forever. It's a common scene in fiction and movies: Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, 28 Weeks Later, World War Z

But the best part is I don't think any game has ever attempted an scene like that, especially where you get to play. So that's my theory but I don't know any actual details beyond one from the Gamerliving review.

Thank you very much for explaining and posting your theory. Very kind of you.

Revven

I've been thinking about picking this up or not. Does the game live up to what the expectations were? I'm only on the fence so far because of whether or not the encounters actually involve strategy and such (as in, having to react to what the AI does and etc). If they do, I guess I'll pick this up sometime this week.

Also, how's gunplay and the melee system? Is the melee system more akin to Uncharted 3 where if you press square and you're by an object, the character slams their head against it? In other words, is it context sensitive in that sense? Or is it different...?

And finally, how open is the level design? I know it's still linear, but are there plenty of open areas to explore? Uncharted has open areas for gunfights but not much else; are TLoU's open areas different from that? And if so, are there usually gunfights in those open areas or is it a mix where they give you room to find stuff in some areas while in others gunfights or whatever can occur?

I guess what I'm asking is, are the open areas varied with what you do in them compared to Uncharted where typically it's just a gunfight? Also, please no spoilers when answering this stuff if anyone can.

Edit: D'oh, I'm kinda early with this, aren't I? It doesn't come out for another few days... -_-

Would you say the pace is well thought out or is there patches where its slows down and gets tedious?

How would you compare this games pacing to RE4?

As some have said, the first half, while great, is a little slow on the uptake but gradually builds and builds. It's the second half that really goes all out.

Does this game have an actual character or weapon progression ala RE4? Or is it just generic pointless guns throughout its entirety like Uncharted?

Below is the info about question:

No, no generic guns. You can modify them. And there is progression via documets as well line molotov range x2. Also character progression like more health to reducing weapon sway.

Also to people who are watching the first 15 minutes, don't fucking watch it please. Watch an hour from the middle of the game but don't fucking watch the first 15.

faridmon

Okay, thanks! That's one of the deciding factors on me buying the game, since the idea of a 15+ hour game with generic gun pickups and no feel of progression sounds awful to me, hahaha.

Yeah, I am with you. I still can't believe that this game is that long. Uncharted weren't short games, but no way were they 15-20 hours long...

faridmon

As some have said, the first half, while great, is a little slow on the uptake but gradually builds and builds. It's the second half that really goes all out.

Thank you! I haven't really followed the game at all (so apologies if you had to repeat some of the answers)

So first half is the slow one (is that a negative compared to the 2nd half?)

Thank you! I haven't really followed the game at all (so apologies if you had to repeat some of the answers)

So first half is the slow one (is that a negative compared to the 2nd half?)

Not in my eyes, no. It's more to do with pacing itself in comparison to what goes down in the second half.

Artex

Banned
This is pretty much the spoiler thread; a week before release. Some of you fucking suck.

The ban hammer should be all over this piece.

I've avoided reading everything on this game including most of this thread so please forgive me if it has answered previously, but does what does survivor difficulty change in the game, or is it purely a difficulty increase?

I've avoided reading everything on this game including most of this thread so please forgive me if it has answered previously, but does what does survivor difficulty change in the game, or is it purely a difficulty increase?
I'm dying to know this too

Is the difficulty increase just less player health, more enemy damage? Or are there less supplies, remixed enemies, better equipped enemies, etc.?

Loudninja

From what I learn from the demo the higher the difficulty the less supplies you have.

Also enemies take the same damage on each difficulty.

They'll get posted regardless, but I recommend just not clicking on any URLs posted here.

It's fine for me as I've finished the game, but otherwise, that's kind of hard to do if you're reading GAF on mobile and you have a thumbnail sticking out in front of it that could lead to a plausible guess as to what happens in the video.

how hard..is hard? Enemy wise? Is it still 1 bullet for human enemies?

Hard and Survivor are both totally doable and I don't consider myself above average at games. You will trial and error but I basically sped through Survivor as it was was mostly the same except one encounter that threw me off. It's not the hardest game around, in my opinion and deaths/restarting aren't frustrating like most other games are. The real challenge, and some psycho will do it, is a zero death type of game. I hadabout 350 after finishing both modes.

Others have said before, but play with a good pair of headphones too. There's some good sound and well, Joel sounds great.

vladdamad

To those of you who have already played the game - I have no doubt that the gameplay is going to be fantastic judging from the demos shown, but is the story really that great? I love it when the medium is used as a vehicle for storytelling, and the reviews have really hyped this thing up as being one of the best narratives in videogames ever. Is this accurate? Spoiler-free impressions would be great, obviously

When a review claims its comparable to GoW 3 intro, I sure as hell want to experience that for myself. Good lord the game comes out on Friday people show some consideration.

Yep, GOW 3 has the best intro I've ever seen and if this is better then fucking bring it on.

I don't even know why people post it, is it to show that you've seen it already and you're better than us or something? or you want to be the first to see it? I honestly don't get it. Like someone said, if we actually wanted to see we'd go search ourselves. It's not that hard

To those of you who have already played the game - I have no doubt that the gameplay is going to be fantastic judging from the demos shown, but is the story really that great? I love it when the medium is used as a vehicle for storytelling, and the reviews have really hyped this thing up as being one of the best narratives in videogames ever. Is this accurate? Spoiler-free impressions would be great, obviously

It's the delivery that did it for me. None of that usual cheese that games have. Just a simple story with great delivery from the actors, the animators, the cutscene directors etc.

that first 15 minutes video... wow.

PS: That video won't "spoil" (if you see it, you'll know why). But it will make your hype meter rise to heavens

Don't know if you can answer this without spoilers, but would you say Joel is an antihero or just a grey character or a good guy just doing what's necessary?

vladdamad

It's the delivery that did it for me. None of that usual cheese that games have. Just a simple story with great delivery from the actors, the animators, the cutscene directors etc.

Right, that's what I gathered. I'm guessing it's the same idea as Uncharted, in that the story isn't anything revolutionary, just polished to perfection. Thanks!

Top Bottom