• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Dr Dogg

Great work on the OT. Though it's another thread I'm going to have to duck and dive for 6 more days. That or bash my head with a rock constantly to try and forget what I've taken in.

Yeah. E3 livestreams are gonna be a minefield. I'll have to stay out of the E3 live megathreads as well because that's where the account suiciding trolls will probably be, aside from this thread

Still not heard a single reason this shouldn't have come out last Friday. Discs were printed weeks ago iirc. Even so, I'd have preferred they kept them stored in the warehouses to prevent the broken street dates
Are there any E3 live streams that don't have chats at the same time? Those would probably be the safest to watch

----
So higher difficulties do change things? Like less supplies and different enemies? Awesome, that's the best kind

Can those who have the game give some examples of the Balance of Power AI? No spoiler details like locations or who you were fighting, just what you did, how the AI reacted and responded

The AI was what hyped me the most. Want to know how it really is

Spoiler tag it if you share, just to be safe

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
why is that a troll comment. the game is like splinter cell.

You stealth around and grab people from behind. There is about 7-10 enemies per area. closed off areas and quick time events here and there like opening doors.

It does have superficial similarities with the best elements of the best Splinter Cell games but that's not a fair or accurate comparison IMO.

I came across the odd glitch, but nothing major. Either the Hitcher had a very unfortunate run, or the Hitcher's just really sensitive to that stuff. I wouldn't worry though =)

I wish it as me who'd experienced them :p

They're collated from a facebook page of game developers or something.

DatDude

Banned
For people who didn't read this yet: Johnny Cullens love letter to Naughty Dog: http://johnnycullen.net/2013/06/08/the-last-of-us-an-open-letter-to-naughty-dog/

but dose comments.

holeeee shit

"Nick June 8, 2013 at 9:50 pm · ·
It’s only a video game dude, no need for all this emotion and praise, you’re just coming across as creepy, I’m sure Naughty Dog are feeling real uncomfortable reading this, put on your big boy pants and act like a man."

Falafel June 8, 2013 at 9:58 pm · ·
Hey look, another dumbfuck sucking Naughty Dog’s cock. Or are you more concerned with sucking Sony’s cock, given your blatant ignorance of the Xbox One?

Go kill yourself, you fucking scumbag. You fucking piece of shit, you deserve to die.

Maxxan

I wish it as me who'd experienced them :p

They're collated from a facebook page of game developers or something.

OK =) Well, glitches are no worse than other games, and AI/scripting is among the best I've experienced. Also, wouldn't be surprised if theres a patch on launch =)

OK =) Well, glitches are no worse than other games, and AI/scripting is among the best I've experienced. Also, wouldn't be surprised if theres a patch on launch =)

Hadn't considered the possibility of a launch-patch. The game's not even supposed to be out for another 5 days.

Speaking of launch, how's the install? Want to get everything primed on the Friday so I can make a start as soon as I'm ready on Saturday

For people who didn't read this yet: Johnny Cullens love letter to Naughty Dog: http://johnnycullen.net/2013/06/08/the-last-of-us-an-open-letter-to-naughty-dog/

but dose comments.

holeeee shit
Jesus Christ...it really is pathetic. That man's write up was superb and honest and even ND acknowledged him on Twitter

I never understood this petty fanboy "console war". Why can't people accept that each console has their exclusives, have their pros and cons, and that's it?

Gonna drop a pre-order at Best Buy so I can get a $20 certifcate later down the line. I think they're offering PSN avatars, themes and the soundtrack with the pre-order too.

DatDude

Banned
Gonna drop a pre-order at Best Buy so I can get a $20 certifcate later down the line. I think they're offering PSN avatars, themes and the soundtrack with the pre-order too.

Is the psn launch going to be at 12am midnight on thursday?

I mean pick it up on psn if that's the case..if not than I might preorder at bestbuy because of that 20$ certificate.

Maxxan

Hadn't considered the possibility of a launch-patch. The game's not even supposed to be out for another 5 days.

Speaking of launch, how's the install? Want to get everything primed on the Friday so I can make a start as soon as I'm ready on Saturday

If I remember correctly, there's no install =)

Is the psn launch going to be at 12am midnight on thursday?

I mean pick it up on psn if that's the case..if not than I might preorder at bestbuy because of that 20$ certificate.

Not sure if the PSN Store is doing a midnight launch - I don't recall a midnight release for any PS3 game. Btw, I should've mentioned that in order to get the $20 certificate, you have to be subscribed to Best Buy's Reward Zone Unlocked Membership thing.

Larson

Banned
The soundtrack is maybe the best soundtrack i have ever heard in a videogame, so many songs that clicks with me. Gustavo Santaolalla did an amazing job.

DatDude

Banned
Not sure if the PSN Store is doing a midnight launch - I don't recall a midnight release for any PS3 game. Btw, I should've mentioned that in order to get the $20 certificate, you have to be subscribed to Best Buy's Reward Zone Unlocked Membership thing.

What time do they normally launch on psn? :/

An this best buy reward zone thing, is it free to sign up for?

I didn't get spoiled

But how the fuck is it IMPOSSIBLE for any OT to have discussions without spoilers? I mean seriously: you can't even click on a simple OT to share your excitement because there is always the danger of spoilers, both in Gaming and Offtopic

I want Black's head + there should be a spoiler thread

I remember making a spoiler thread for AC: Revelations a week before release because the street date was broken. We discussed the ending and extended video there that dealt with REVELATIONS SPOILER
Ezio's death

Someone should just make a spoiler thread now and be done with it.

E3 streams are going to be a minefield anyway so be prepared.

DatDude

Banned
The soundtrack is maybe the best soundtrack i have ever heard in a videogame, so many songs that clicks with me. Gustavo Santaolalla did an amazing job.

Agreed. I really love this "rawness" that comes from his acoustic guitar..this type of music that he did for the last of us is probably a first for gaming. Only sad part about the ost is that some of the pieces are really short.....What's your favorite track btw?

Black

Banned
It does have superficial similarities with the best elements of the best Splinter Cell games but that's not a fair or accurate comparison IMO.
oh piss off. are you a plant from sony or naughty dog? I explained why it's similar. the mechanics are the same right down to
r2 button sensory perception

ND confirmed it was be a day one digital midnight release

“The game will be a day one digital download—this means you can get it at midnight on June 14,” said Naughty Dog Community Strategist Eric Monacelli

----
My question - this being my first digital preorder - is what happens when a preordered game become available? Do I get a message? Or do I have to start the download from the game page?

DatDude

Banned
oh piss off. are you a plant from sony or naughty dog? I explained why it's similar. the mechanics are the same right down to [spolier] r2 button sensory perception [/spoiler]

you really don't know how to use spoiler tags do you?

spell spoiler correctly first off.

ND confirmed it was be a day one digital midnight release

“The game will be a day one digital download—this means you can get it at midnight on June 14,” said Naughty Dog Community Strategist Eric Monacelli

----
My question - this being my first digital preorder - is what happens when a preordered games become available? Do I get a message? Or do I have to start the download from the game page?

Oh hell yes!!!!!!!!

I'm also wondering this as well btw :/

Oh yay! OT is up! And it went with my suggestion for thread name (albeit, one also made by others)!

Anyways, in case people didn't see it in the reviews thread, here :)...

The Last of Us: A love letter to Naughty Dog

Just summed up my thoughts on it here. After eight years, I now have a game worthy of taking over my 'my favorite game ever' mantle from Metal Gear Solid 3. It's truly special.

Note: there aren't no spoilers in it, so you can read it without fear.

EDIT: Oh, just seen it mentioned up top. Dun gone goofed.

KAOz

Short bus special
And how much ammo do you have on hard for those though?

I don't know about on Easy, but on Hard you can find a decent bit of ammo. I currently got 6 shots in one gun, 10 in another, aswell as 6 and 8 for two other weapons. And I feel like I am on top of the world due to that. But I don't feel overpowered.

One failed encounter though, and you will start anew from scratch and scavenge so much. I only have that much ammo due to alot of stealth and luck.

Jesus Christ...it really is pathetic. That man's write up was superb and honest and even ND acknowledged him on Twitter

I never understood this petty fanboy "console war". Why can't people accept that each console has their exclusives, have their pros and cons, and that's it?

Totally agree.

If people ignore any brilliant game purely because of platform then more fool them.

DatDude

Banned
I don't know about on Easy, but on Hard you can find a decent bit of ammo. I currently got 6 shots in one gun, 10 in another, aswell as 6 and 8 for two other weapons. And I feel like I am on top of the world due to that. But I don't feel overpowered.

One failed encounter though, and you will start anew from scratch and scavenge so much. I only have that much ammo due to alot of stealth and luck.

how hard..is hard? Enemy wise? Is it still 1 bullet for human enemies?

Black

Banned

you really don't know how to use spoiler tags do you?

spell spoiler correctly first off.

Oh hell yes!!!!!!!!

I'm also wondering this as well btw :/

ok, fixed, it. now answer the topic. why isn't it similar to SC? why isn't that fair. It's essentially the same gameplay mechanics.

iratA

EB games karratha. Get on that good thing

I call Bullshit.

Sorry Junior I'd like to believe you. If you have the game, post a pic of the game case with your name on a piece of paper next to it. Make sure we can see the Australian OFLC 'R' Rating logo on the front case and game disc. If you really have the game this early, I'll be happy to get Juniored and see you get Full membership in my place. If the Mods approve of course.

One final condition. You have 24 Hours!

KAOz

Short bus special
how hard..is hard? Enemy wise? Is it still 1 bullet for human enemies?

So far, I've found it challenging, but not Hard. And human enemies CAN go down in 1 bullet. Depends on where you hit them. And, you really need to hope you hit good, because you can't take alot of damage.

I avoid firefights like the plauge though, and save my bullets for... tougher stuff.

DatDude

Banned
I call Bullshit.

Sorry Junior I'd like to believe you. If you have the game, post a pic of the game case with your name on a piece of paper next to it. Make sure we can see the Australian OFLC 'R' Rating logo on the front case and game disc. If you really have the game this early, I'll be happy to get Juniored and see you get Full membership in my place. If the Mods approve of course.

You should've added he has 24 hours..and he gets banned to boot :p

to raise the stakes you know?

So far, I've found it challenging, but not Hard. And human enemies CAN go down in 1 bullet. Depends on where you hit them. And, you really need to hope you hit good, because you can't take alot of damage.

I avoid firefights like the plauge though, and save my bullets for... tougher stuff.
Is it realistic? Like one bullet to the throat or two to the chest, goes down?

Have you tried Survivor? If so, how does that compare to Hard?

Ricker

I will start on normal but hopefully if it's too hard,like I am hearing from a lot of people,I hope you can switch it down to easy without having to restart all over,kind of like Remember Me...I dont have patience for hard games anymore,especially with bad checkpoints or deaths caused by QTE.

Black

Banned
I call Bullshit.

will do. one question, are you concerned I'm lying that the game isn't all that or are you concerned that I have a pirate copy of the game?

Top Bottom